The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any Veggie Tales fans out there? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12353)

Child of the 7th Age 10-29-2005 05:14 PM

Any Veggie Tales fans out there?

It appears we have another adaptation of Tolkien. For those of you wanting to have a complete collection of DVDs, you might (or might not) want to consider investing in this:

Click on Toto Baggypants....

Once you hit the big time in popular culture, you never know what's coming next!

Can anyone more clever than I think of any character names they want to add to this list?

Beanamir of Gondor 10-29-2005 07:21 PM

Saw it....

Here's another thread in Mirth on what some Downers thought...Lord of the Beans

On a personal note, my sister's boyfriend's mother works for a Sunday school, and so she got to pre-order the movie from BigIdea... naturally, I couldn't resist, and so my sister and I borrowed the movie, and I got to see it.
The article doesn't do it justice. I laughed the whole movie long at the incredible inside jokes (including some stuff about orcs, Saruman, and Legolas). I don't know how much BigIdea paid New Line to get the rights to LOTR, but they used it well. The lines they picked to use... were hysterical. They were the lines that I laughed at during the real movie. And Silly Songs with Larry became Silly Songs with Elves... who make really bad puns... Plus there was the fact that it was only an hour long....

Anyway, if you like (or can stomach, for the guys) VeggieTales, you have to see Lord of the Beans when it comes out. It's hilarious. Unfortunately, I predicted that Bob (with his overlarge nose) would play Merry. There... really wasn't a Merry character, though there was a suspicious harvest gold waistcoat on a flobbit during Billboy's birthday party...

Child of the 7th Age 10-29-2005 08:58 PM

Thanks Beanamir . I definitely missed that earlier announcement. And thanks for the personal comments. With a name like "Beanamir", you must definitely be among the most qualified posters to give us a review. :D

Formendacil 10-29-2005 09:07 PM

Excellent review!

I have to see it now...

However, as regards this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
Anyway, if you like (or can stomach, for the guys) VeggieTales, you have to see Lord of the Beans when it comes out.

I know from personal experience that there are plenty of guys who love Veggie Tales.

I'm one of them.

Gurthang 10-29-2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formendacil
I know from personal experience that there are plenty of guys who love Veggie Tales.

I'm one of them.

Add my name to that list. Who cares if they are made for little kids? They're hilarious! :D (And they have values!)

I can't wait to see it, it'll be great. Thanks for the review/preview Beanamir! :D

arcticstorm 10-29-2005 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formendacil

I'm one of them.

as am I, Vegie tales is incredible, and I have been looking forward to this episode for a while. Shoot, my buddy icon on AIM is the pa grape as grumpy.

Bęthberry 10-29-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
It appears we have another adaptation of Tolkien. For those of you wanting to have a complete collection of DVDs, you might (or might not) want to consider investing in this:

Click on Toto Baggypants....

Once you hit the big time in popular culture, you never know what's coming next!

Can anyone more clever than I think of any character names they want to add to this list?

Well, I'm hardly more clever than you Child but as the author of Saladriel and Celery for REB I, I simply cannot resist this call to produce some verbiage beyond belief.

Goldberry I won't touch, but I will suggest Tom Broccadill, as a half measure.

I'm positive that Tolkien's younger brother Hillary, a farmer, gave him the name of Radishgast, which Tolkien sr. emended to Radagast.

The spare hobbits, who teach Rohan and Gondor the historical veracity of halfling, would of course be Parsnip and MungBean, who return to The Shire to marry Choy Sum and Snow Pea.

The great and wise elf who governs Rivendill would be Endive.

The two heroic sons of Gondor undoubtedly would be Beetamir--unfortunately borschted by Rutabaga the Orc--and Fennelmir.

There was that elf Leekofa also who had something to do with the story. And the big baddie was naturally Eye of the Spud. The two trees were also known as Pestorion and Cock-a-leekie, or sometimes Floralin.

Apologies to all who are fans of Veggie Tales, whose sensibility I might have dredged in too much vinegar. Obviously, I have no shame at this hour of the night when digging around in the punden.

ElentariGreenleaf 11-07-2005 11:05 AM

WHAT? I veggie tales i haven't seen AND its an adaptation of LotR!! Now this I must see... Sounds pretty cool. Hmmm, though, maybe I shouldn't watch it in case it gets LotR really badly wrong. Then i'd never want to watch veggie tales again. *hmmms 'oh where is my ring of power'*

SunniGadi 11-11-2005 03:54 PM

Has anyone read Bored of the Rings? (Parody off of Lord of the Rings books, obviously)

It's quite odd...I think a lot of people would enjoy it though.

I am so getting that Veggie Tales dvd

Lolidir 11-12-2005 12:32 AM

The good old days.

I remember Veggie Tales from when I was a kid, and then my nephew started watching them. I have seen them all. I first heard about Lord of the Bean when I was a Veggie Tales life with the little guy. I was a little more excited than I should have been but hey its LOTB. If done right it should be quite funny.

Firefoot 11-13-2005 11:16 AM

Well, my church was playing it for the Sunday School this morning, so I stopped in and was able to watch most of it, and I honestly didn't think it was anything special. As far as plot went, it had very little to do with LotR except in very rudimentary terms. (Granted, they were trying to put what was an essentially 10 hour movie into 30 min.) And even some of the themes I thought they might draw into it (mercy, friendship...) weren't there - they turned it into a thing about using your gifts. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was disappointed by it.

There was some good humor in it - for example, a slant on the Keebler Elves, but I didn't think it was as funny as most of the VeggieTales movies.

Captain Grishnahk 12-13-2005 12:17 PM

Personally i loved VT as a smaller kid... and i still do. But when i heard they were mimicking LOTR i got sort of ticked. I always get ticked when people copy lord of the rings... :(

narfforc 01-17-2006 04:53 AM

Origin of The Ents

What if, when Yavanna created The Ents, she used the mixed up parts of Trees and Vegetables. Then a Sycamore and a Cabbabage would be a Sycacabbage, or a Hazel and Broadbean would be a Hazbean, a Yew and Turnip would be a Yewturn but maybe an Ash and Brocolli would be a little Brash.

Lolidir 01-19-2006 08:19 PM

I watched VT LotB with my little nephew the other day actually. Being a huge fan of Vt as a kid and LOTR now and forever more, I thought it was quite amusing and entertaining. Thats just my opinion though. And if it makes a difference my 4 year old nephew liked it too.

Roa_Aoife 01-21-2006 07:30 PM

I adore Vegitales. This movie had me laughing the entire time, especially the Silly Song. What can I say? Puns of that caliber have me on the floor in tears from laughing so hard.

And the elf with the cookie in the tree...

But my favorite line from the whole thing was, "Cookie Man say no." I think I stopped breathing for about five minutes after that one.

wilwarin538 01-22-2006 01:50 PM

I got this movie for Christmas. Its absolutly hilarious. I'm sure anyone on this site would enjoy it.

My favorite part was the guy with his "new umbrella". :D

wilwarin538 01-23-2006 04:20 PM

Just like to add something.

To anyone who owns this movie on DVD, I suggest watching the Veggie Comentary in the Bonus Features. Its very, extremely funny. Just discovered it last night. Loved it! :D

WaynetheGoblin 01-25-2006 06:21 AM

yes very funny comentery. It is something that when you watch you will be laughing your head off.