The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mount Doom and Shrek (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2416)

Iargwath 07-30-2002 01:09 AM

Mount Doom and Shrek

From the lord of the rings descriptions i always imagined mount doom to look like a volcano. However i was still interested to decipher more about how mount doom actually looked like through LotR concept drawings, reading the descriptions and so on.
But i still wasnt satisfied with the look i was getting [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
OK now i'll get to my point. I wasnt satisfied with the mount doom look until i saw the movie shrek. It occured to me after watching the film 5 times that in a scene, a rip off of mount doom was evident.
It was by far the best mount doom i had seen. It displayed all the dark and mysterious features and to top it all off a ring of mist acting as some sort of a canopy.
Has anybody seen this "mount doom" in shrek?
If u have tell me what u think. If u havent u should check it out. You can see mount doom when shrek and donkey are journeying to save the princess.
Tell me what u think of this guys b/c i reckon the shrek "mount doom" looks pretty cool [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It may not be mount doom but im pretty sure it is.
Well i'll wait to hear what guys think.

The Balrog-Durin's Bane 07-30-2002 06:18 AM

I have seen Shrek, and yes the volcano could look like mount doom, but I prefer the movie's (LOTR:FOTR) view. Maybe if the bridge in shrek was made of stone, and it was more moria looking inside, or so it occured to me, sauron's is a tower

ArwenBaggins 07-30-2002 06:52 AM

OMG! Shrek's in M-E! j/k

i do think the mountain looks a little like Mt. Doom, but i never read or pictured that Mt. Doom had a moat of boiling lava!

Aldagrim Proudfoot 07-30-2002 07:27 AM

You're right about the similarity. If you just change the castle in the center to the peak of the volcano, the moat might be the Cracks of Doom.

Anna Licumo 07-30-2002 08:26 AM

However, if we're stating that any volcano is Mount Doom, Hawaii is the ancient place of Mordor! (or anywhere else in the Ring of Fire, or whatever it's called- geography is failing me at the moment.) Actually, I always thought the mountain in Zelda: Orcania of Time looked like a perfect Mount Doom from the Temple of Time when he's an adult. Hmm, methinks I spend too much time playing that game... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

NazgulNumberTen 07-30-2002 11:27 AM

i loved that game!

Dimaldaeon 07-30-2002 12:13 PM

Yeah Zelda was great, pity about the whole cel shaded thing (oops wrong forum).Death mountain looked good but not very sinister even when Volviga was there.

Aldagrim Proudfoot 07-30-2002 12:27 PM

Quote:

Hawaii is the ancient land of Mordor!
Nah. Hawaii is way too pretty to be Mordor.

Naaramare 07-30-2002 12:29 PM

No, the ancient land of Mordor is today known as Wells Grey Park, and it's sort of near Kamloops.

I'm not kidding.

Anna Licumo 07-30-2002 05:32 PM

Actually, if I *had* to put Mordor anywhere, I'd go with North Dakota...

Iargwath 07-31-2002 02:49 AM

Hehe maybe i didnt express it clearly enough but the "mount doom" im talking about isnt the volcano thingy with the bridge [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Its infact when shrek and donkey pass the flowery field thingy and music plays. There are a few scenes showing the scenery and when shrek and donkey camp. After that quick little shot of the camp they show the landscape and there it is! LOL.
It may not make sense but if u have a copy of the film check it out!

Aldagrim Proudfoot 07-31-2002 08:47 AM

Now I know what you're talking about, and you're right.

RiderOfRohan 07-31-2002 11:23 AM

I can't believe how right you are!!!

Iargwath 08-01-2002 02:39 AM

LOL. Yay. So im not the only one. It totally does look like mount doom doesnt it? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]