The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bad Bootleg Captioning (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5058)

Beren87 01-11-2003 07:14 PM

Bad Bootleg Captioning

A friend found this for me, and I decided I would share it with all of you. This was a bootleg that someone downloaded that had quite horrible captioning.

Go here

Gamja 01-11-2003 07:22 PM

Those are wierd... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Beren87 01-11-2003 07:26 PM

Well, the movie was translated from whatever language it was in to english for the captions, this is what they got. These are hilarious.

Nari 01-11-2003 09:00 PM

sounds a lot like when i try translating my spanish book...

The Saucepan Man 01-11-2003 09:05 PM

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

These are hysterical. They had me in absolute fits. So, Frodo becomes the ringleader (or is it wing baron) and takes up with Aragorn and his son Boromir, but they are chased by ox!!??

And what is it that Isildur has on these people that they are so keen to absolve him of any blame?

Brilliant!

Diamond18 01-11-2003 09:30 PM

Oh, those have to be made up. Really. Er...or I hope so anyway. How on earth could this movie have become a worldwide success with such terrible translating?

But real or made up, it had me in giggle fits. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nevfeniel 01-11-2003 09:32 PM

Okay, this one made me laugh, especially when you read what the webmaster wrote above it (The Lady Galadriel's eloquent farewell)
http://users3.ev1.net/~eekfrenzy/cap...e/imagef32.jpg

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]

Melime 01-11-2003 09:54 PM

Oh my gosh...*wipes tears from eyes* That was great. That you so much for that link, that truely made my Saturday.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Beren87 01-11-2003 09:59 PM

Haha, you are quite welcome! And YES these are real! This was a real bootleg!

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 01-11-2003 11:27 PM

oh my! i was having fits! I nearly fell off my chair laughing, those were hilarious. I loved the last one: I dont suppose we ever have to see them again. Ha ha!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nari 01-13-2003 01:14 PM

my favorite is "Don't touch me, Frodo" and Arwen telling Strider she'd give her advantages to him.

LePetitChoux 01-13-2003 01:59 PM

Funny. I was laughing my head off and my mother was giving me funny looks and I scared the cat off my lap, but other than that, funny. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

lord of dor-lomin 01-13-2003 02:58 PM

That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!! I love Gandalf's last words, "Frodo, you fool".

Galenfea of Mirkwood. 01-15-2003 12:59 PM

I think that was probably the most I've laughed in a lifetime!

Alaggaeriel 01-15-2003 01:21 PM

Too funny! They had to have made that up!

ElentariGreenleaf 01-16-2003 01:34 PM

I couldn't stop laughing. I think mysister thought I was weird....... all she heard were fits of laughter! She came to look at the pics, but she didn't find them funny.... WELL SHE'S JUST NOT LotR OBSESSED LIKE ME!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

LePetitChoux 01-16-2003 01:41 PM

My favourite was this one:
A bit of relationship difficulty, I think

http://users3.ev1.net/~eekfrenzy/cap...e/Imagec16.jpg

And this is just hilarious:
Somehow I don't see Frodo in a Sopwith Camel
http://users3.ev1.net/~eekfrenzy/cap...e/Imagef23.jpg
I love the last image too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]

Galadrie1 01-17-2003 03:20 PM

Alas, those are real. I've seen a bootleg copy with captions like that. I didn't look at all the pictures on that page, does it have the one where they call Frodo a "ring leader"? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, I haven't laughed this hard for a long time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

http://users3.ev1.net/~eekfrenzy/cap...e/Imagec17.jpg

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]

Orodreth 01-17-2003 03:59 PM

That was the funniest thing I have ever seen [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Laialthriel 01-21-2003 10:41 PM

I am so bummed! My server or ISP or whatever will not let me look at this link! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] It sounds quite funny so I get the general idea, but alas, I can't view it! K, I'll stop complaining now. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~a sad Laialthriel

Blue Elf 01-21-2003 10:45 PM

The link didn't work for me, but I am assuming it is the same site my friend found and told me about......the one with the Ox and Condo, right?

Susan Delgado 01-22-2003 02:53 AM

All the time I was looking at this thread, I kept getting a pop-up box asking for a password and the link gave me a note saying I needed to put in a password. ??

Blue Elf 01-22-2003 01:35 PM

AAAAH!!!!!!! The site no longer works for me!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

What shall I do without the Ox!!!!????

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

**blows the horn of Condo in desperation**

Diamond18 01-22-2003 02:24 PM

The link still works just fine for me. But the thing that happened to Susan keeps happening to me too. There's definitely something weird going on.

Here is the URL, type it and see if it works for you:
http://users3.ev1.net/~eekfrenzy/cap...captionsx.html

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

The Silver-shod Muse 01-31-2003 04:34 PM

I can't view it either! It's asking for a password [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Orominuialwen 12-31-2003 04:33 PM

It's working fine for me now.

Lady Snickerdoodle 12-31-2003 05:28 PM

*runs out of oxygen from laughing too long and keels over*

*comes back from the dead and emails site url to every address on buddy list*

*attends everyones funeral as they have all laughed themselves to death*

Luthien_ Tinuviel 12-31-2003 06:52 PM

I have a bootleg copy of TTT. I haven't watched the whole thing with the English captions (I couldn't bear to), but from the parts I've seen, Gollum has a very dirty mouth. Seriously! And he calls the Ring "The baby". [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ow. Now my face hurts. Too much laughter. I think "I have feelings" would be my nomination for one of the best.

Well, here's another site with captions from TTT: Engrish TTT captions

Miriel Undomiel 01-01-2004 11:46 AM

I feel sick!!!
I've never laughed so much my whole life...
~no I have to do sam...
~Bring your ***** face to my *** !
~mr beens
~Don't do me anything! I'm natural.
I just wanna die! My head hurts after banging it on the screen...

the guy who be short 01-01-2004 12:42 PM

Too funny! Too funny! *gasp.*

EDIT: Just a thought: why would the subtitles be in English? That doesn't make any sense does it?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:48 PM January 01, 2004: Message edited by: the guy who be short ]

Finwe 01-01-2004 01:14 PM

*dies a hundred times over from laughing*

Holy Elbereth! Those are HILARIOUS! I haven't laughed this much in AGES. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Enorëiel 01-01-2004 03:16 PM

LOL!! That has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen (this beats The Lord of the Peeps by a long shot)!!! I was laughing uncontrolably and then I got to the TTT captioning - It is it really possible to die of laughing to much? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nimrothiel 01-01-2004 04:20 PM

I don't know if it is possible to die from laughing too much, but I might be the first person to do so! I thought that the FotR captions were bad, but TTT's ones were even worse!! I have never, ever, laughed so hard in my life! "Gandolf foogray, that was my name." Hahahhahahahahahaha!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:25 AM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: Nimrothiel ]

Luthien_ Tinuviel 01-01-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Just a thought: why would the subtitles be in English? That doesn't make any sense does it?
I wondered about that, myself. I think it's originally shown in English with Chinese or Japanese subtitles. These are already rather poorly translated. Then someone who's not so great at English listens to the dialouge and uses the poor Chinese translations as their guide to creating the English subtitles, which they add for the amusement of English-speakers? I don't know. Maybe it's for Chinese people who want to learn English, or maybe they think they're actually providing those who own bootleg copies with a service by giving captions. I wonder if they know that they're only providing amusement. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Naz 01-01-2004 05:41 PM

"This is the Dutch heir?"

Oh, I was afraid I'd lost this site! Thank you!! I can laugh again now!^ ^

Carlas 01-01-2004 06:14 PM

Hahahaha, those are hilarious! But you they can't be REAL? Come on...thats pretty sad... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 01-02-2004 12:21 AM

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] These always kill me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:

Bend the hands.
And we thought that Faramir was evil enough in the original script. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kalimac 01-02-2004 01:24 AM

Eomer takes a drubbing in TTT, also. "Too long have I wanted my sister," - eesh, that makes Faramir look good!

BTW, I can testify that English-captioned bootlegs are available in at least some parts of Asia. I haven't got a clue as to why it's done like that, but they are out there, and the captions are usually just as wretched. Judging by some of the ones that turn up - "Do you know how the ox first came to be?" or "The spitting of Sauron endured" - I think what these people are doing is running the soundtrack through a voice-recognition program, and these are notorious for their close-but-no-cigar approach to recognizing words. The accent with which McKellen says "spirit" could *almost* sound like there's a T in place of the R; similarly with Christopher Lee and "ox" for "Orcs." So I'm inclined to think that they're real. Just my $0.02.

Lhunardawen 01-02-2004 05:57 AM

*dies laughing. no, really.*

Quote:

Gaze into these eyes and repeat after me:
http://users3.ev1.net/~eekfrenzy/cap...e/Imaged17.jpg
You mean Aragorn knows Jedi mind tricks?

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/e...-towers-06.jpg

So you can't allow the Watcher in the Water, too, huh? How about Shelob?

*dies with Nilpaurion Felagund, who is reading with her*

dancing spawn of ungoliant 01-02-2004 03:00 PM

I haven't laughed so much for a long time! Too hilarious!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Loved the "Ride hard, don't come back" one (and almost all the other ones too).