The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Queen of Queens (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=14558)

Groin Redbeard 01-07-2008 03:46 PM

Queen of Queens

I dedicate this thread to Betheberry, who gave me the idea of starting this thread.

The rules are simple: nominate your Queen, who you like the most and tell us a little bit about the queen and why you nominat her.

Since I don't know any Queens of Middle Earth I'll put my choice in later.

Have Fun,
Grion Redbeard

Elmo 01-07-2008 04:58 PM

Queen Beruthiel, she liked cats, good enough reason for me

McCaber 01-07-2008 05:11 PM

My choice is Melian, queen of Doriath. She was one of the wisest beings in Middle-earth, her enchantments protected her whole land, and she was a Maia. There are more reasons than these ones, but those are the basics.

Lalwendë 01-08-2008 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmo (Post 542517)
Queen Beruthiel, she liked cats, good enough reason for me

I wish there was more written about Beruthiel :( Though I imagine she has inspired a few RPG characters and whatnot.

Is it just me or does she make other people think of the fabulous Countess Gertrude Groan in Gormenghast? It must be the thing about the cats...

Thinlómien 01-08-2008 01:28 PM

The title "Queen of Queens" inspires to nominate the city of Minas Tirith, because of a very beautiful quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Window on the West
"For myself", said Faramir, "I would like to see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves."

Estelyn Telcontar 01-08-2008 01:47 PM

As a Telcontar, I of course vote for Arwen Evenstar as the Queen to top all other Queens. Though she doesn't stand in the limelight, we know from the story in Appendix A that she had power that was used very subtly. She was the secret behind the winning of the War of the Ring, since Aragorn would have lacked impetus without her to inspire him. The fact that she and Aragorn were one in their hope for victory strengthened him so that he did not lose hope.

It took courage to remain behind when the other Elves left, to face death of her own free will - I think she is often grossly underestimated.

As a fabric artist I appreciate the love, hope, and labour with patience and endurance that she invested in the standard she made for Aragorn. No mere needlework that!

And she provided for the continuation of the Telcontar dynasty by giving birth to Eldarion, the heir.

Lommy, that is a wonderful quote and a unique idea!

Elmo 01-08-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 542578)
I wish there was more written about Beruthiel :( Though I imagine she has inspired a few RPG characters and whatnot.

Is it just me or does she make other people think of the fabulous Countess Gertrude Groan in Gormenghast? It must be the thing about the cats...

Having never heard of her I can't comment but she does remind me a little of

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...y_Cat_Lady.jpg

Mithalwen 01-08-2008 02:28 PM

If she counts.....

It has to be Idril. She was not only beautiful but wise, brave and proactive. By her forethought some of her people were saved. She was a great judge of character and the only elven lady who managed to wed her mortal beau without upsetting Daddy.

For me she wins hands down.

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-09-2008 02:56 PM

Well, in the very first moment I thought about Galadriel, though she was not a Queen by title but definitely would have deserved it. But right after that, I thought about Melian, so I second McCaber, but not in the reasons he names: wise, surely; the way she protects her land, of course - and I should add also the way she handles her husband even though he sometimes acts like if he was totally dumb (same could be said, in lesser extent, about Galadriel); but being a Maia is, in my opinion, not a thing that would be of any value. Gandalf is not superior to Imrahil in my eyes because he is Maia and Imrahil is a simple Man (maybe with a little bit of Elven blood), but because of what he did. Actually, nothing against Imrahil, he's cool.

Speaking of superior powers, another queen nominated could be of course Varda, who is really a Queen of Queens in the very sense of it.

But

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 542627)
Lommy, that is a wonderful quote and a unique idea!

Seconded. That's just brilliant and I must say very innovative. Lommy, you know what: they should cut it to five or even less ;)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-10-2008 09:22 AM

You know what, you poeple just reminded me of Melian of Doriath...I admire her!

Lalwendë 01-10-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmo (Post 542633)
Having never heard of her I can't comment but she does remind me a little of

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...y_Cat_Lady.jpg

A suitable avatar for several of us Downers methinks. I'm quite looking forwards to being an elderly cat lady :D

Actually, another 'Queen' who I find fascinating is Ungoliant. She may not have had a crown but she was the queen of all spider-shaped beings. Where did she come from? It's not clear, but maybe from outside creation itself. She was corrupted by Morgoth but then left him. She spawned thousands of other spiders...she was kind of like an anti-Melian, something from 'outside' which bred with earthly creatures, and the whole 'devouring light' thing is fascinating.

Groin Redbeard 01-13-2008 06:17 PM

I haven't found any Queen that stands out in my mind. Galadriel would certainly be my choice, but she's not technically a queen.

Eönwë 01-28-2008 05:40 PM

Maybe Elwing? Or Erendis? I haven't really decided yet.

Elmo 01-29-2008 08:06 AM

In my opinion Erendis wasn't a good queen. All she seemed to do was nag Aldarion.

Eönwë 02-08-2008 05:02 PM

True. I vote Goldberry (well, she sort of was a queen)

Groin Redbeard 02-09-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 546586)
True. I vote Goldberry (well, she sort of was a queen)

Isn't that the wife of Tom Bombadil?

Rune Son of Bjarne 02-09-2008 09:33 AM

It was not directly stated that it had to be a queen of Tolkien's univers. . .so I shall choose Emma of Normandy or Margrethe I of Denmark. :p

Actually i am just stalling for time as I cannot come up with an answer. . . .As you might know I have a pasionate love for Galadriel, but as you said she was not queen and neither was Nimrodel which would be my second choise. (really only because I loved "Song of Nimrodel" as it was preformed by The Tolkien Ensemble)

Ok then it must be Anairë , little is know of her but I really like Fingolfin.

Ibrîniðilpathânezel 02-09-2008 12:25 PM

I'd say Varda. After all, she is the queen of the King of Arda, so beautiful there are no words fit to describe her, and then there are the stars... *sigh* Ah, the amateur astronomer gets all weak in the knees. :) She also gets some of the loveliest Elvish poetry: A Elbereth Gilthoniel, silivren penna miriel...

Eönwë 02-10-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 546616)
Isn't that the wife of Tom Bombadil?

Yes, but isn't Tom Bambadil the Master (which I know isn't king, but is actually a higher postion in his case). And she is his wife...

Rune Son of Bjarne 02-10-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 546791)
Yes, but isn't Tom Bambadil the Master (which I know isn't king, but is actually a higher postion in his case). And she is his wife...

the question was who was the queen of queens and an empress or a godess is no more a queen than a servant or a frog.

Nerwen 02-12-2008 01:33 AM

Mr Redbeard? Can we have a ruling on this? Does it need to be an actual queen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 542578)

Oh, I imagine Beruthiel makes everyone who has read Titus Groan and Gormenghast think of Countess Gertrude. But that would be what– fifty people?

Groin Redbeard 02-12-2008 09:25 AM

Hmm... after giving this matter much thought (3 seconds) I have decided that we can make a few exceptions.:D She at least must be some type of a ruler.

Legate of Amon Lanc 02-12-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 547136)
She at least must be some type of a ruler.

That does not seem to help much. Under such circumstances, Goldberry should not count.

Groin Redbeard 02-12-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 547142)
That does not seem to help much. Under such circumstances, Goldberry should not count.

Welcome back Legate!:D Very well since bending the rules don't seem to help;), the lady that you nominate must be a queen.

Bêthberry 02-12-2008 09:39 AM

Goldberry rules the weather. :p