The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do you think that Witch-King is full of himself? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1144)

NicktheOrc 06-22-2002 05:17 AM

Do you think that Witch-King is full of himself?

I think that the Witch-King is full of himself, to be honest. Do you think so? Here's an example...

Quote:

"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour! Do you not know death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" - Witch-King

From "The Siege Of Gondor" , Page 113
That's all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anna Licumo 06-22-2002 09:36 AM

Yep, I'll agree on that one. If he wasn't being so busy bloating his ego, he might have figured out that riddle of "no man can kill him." I mean, duh. If you're head of teh Nagul you'd think you'd know something by then.

Amanaduial the archer 06-22-2002 10:18 AM

well i guess all the bad guys tend to be rather full of themselves. I mean confidence gets people further and without confidence how cud he do all the terrible things hes had to do to become head of the nazgul?
Quote:

Vimes would never like to be faced by a nice man with a gun. He didnt mind if it was a ruthless man because they were bound to draw it out and get cocky. But a kind man...theyd jut shoot you and get it over with.
thats from a terry practhett book. Confidence comes with ruthlessness. If youve killed hundreds of ppl in a range of brilliant and colourful ways (yes i know i sound like a wallpaper ad) then of course u get cocky.

Aldagrim Proudfoot 06-22-2002 11:50 AM

I actually know a real person like that. He says he's a vampire and is narcissitic (sp?). I guess it takes a lot of will power not to become full of yourself if you have a lot of power

Evenstar1 06-22-2002 08:22 PM

You know someone who claims to be a vampire? Uh, just a guess: perhaps his delusions exceed that of vanity? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Amanaduial the archer 06-23-2002 06:35 AM

i have an, erm, aquaintance who also claims to be a vampire. Hes mad tho...i mean seriously, he once came into school with a whole round of machine gun bullets...but no gun....
Hes also tried to bite me on the neck before. That hurt. Honestly it really really wrecked! In a big ouchy hurty way...

Aldagrim Proudfoot 06-23-2002 12:29 PM

He follows the religion of vampirism, yes it exists. At least he claims to. He's a narcissistic moron.

Back on track, people have, or think they have power can get fat headed

GreatWarg 06-23-2002 01:04 PM

Okay, that's just real freaky and scary...

WonderDun 06-23-2002 01:13 PM

Oh well, he's knida mad, and a il bit fulled of himself..But hes a nice guy
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Daisy Sandybanks 06-23-2002 01:20 PM

Vampirism really exsist? Huh, I knew Vampire Cults exsisted... but never Vampirism as a real religion, type, thingy... heh..
Anyway, off topic there.. um, full of himself, yes, I'll have to agree on that, very conceded little fellow isn't he...

Amanaduial the archer 06-23-2002 01:25 PM

my "vampire" aquaintance isnt even nice, hes just freaky...and ouchy...

vampirism cant technically exist as it doesnt have a god or an idea of ultimate good/wholeness/wholesomeness. It has only the idea of evil, the devil. It is technically an anti-religion.

ummmm...howd we get to this by the way?

Evenstar1 06-23-2002 08:38 PM

Actually, Tolkienly-speaking, wouldn't vampirism -- or any devil-worshiping-religion -- be tantamount to the lifestyles of the Nazgul? With Melkor/Morgoth as the devil and Sauron as the high priest/head Count Dracula? And, as they all followed down the path of Melkor's example, they all thought that their own ideas were the best ones. (Sauron, Saruman, etc.)

Which brings us back to the original question. And to a new one: Sure, the WKoA was cocky, but hadn't he relinquished his will-power to Sauron (via the rings), and hadn't he lost the ability to choose to be "full of himself," because he could only do Sauron's bidding?

Aldagrim Proudfoot 06-24-2002 08:32 AM

That makes sense.

Cathelm 06-24-2002 03:43 PM

I was just thinking... Aren't the Nazgul slaves to the rings/sauron? So it would be Sauron that's full of himself... Really really full of himself. Or maybe their twisted minds just enjoy being feared by all.

Just another idea from the one who knows so little (me).

The Silver-shod Muse 06-26-2002 11:17 AM

I didn't think that the Nazgul had emotions like that. I assumed that anything they felt was planted there by Sauron or had filtered down into their will through his.

About vampirism - that is absolutely the sickest thing I've ever heard of. He/she actually bit you? Whoever that is needs some serious psychological therapy.

NicktheOrc 06-27-2002 12:21 AM

Stop filling my discussion with your vampire $hit!

^^ this is a quick way to lose posting provileges on the Downs ^^
- The Barrow-Wight -

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

Daniel Telcontar 06-27-2002 01:19 AM

I am afraid that you can't really control "your" discussion like that, only the administrators can. And well, if it is off-topic, and shouldn't be posted here, I think the wight is man enough to handle it.

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took 06-27-2002 01:54 AM

Well, I'm glad I didn't add to that vampire conversation. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Well on the subject, I think he had a pretty big head about himself. Sauron was the Naguls creators, so they maybe believed themselves and Sauron to be the most powerful.

And welcome to the Downs! I also notice that your from Australia. I also live in Australia

Aldagrim Proudfoot 06-27-2002 06:06 AM

I think he was full of himself in the way that he thought he couldn't be killed. Kind of like the way Captain Ahab thought he couldn't die He got a prophecy about his death and got caught on a technicality.

^^^ This is the proper response when a thread goes off-topic. Bring it back on topic. Thanks Aldagrim.
- The Barrow-Wight -

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Aldagrim Proudfoot ]

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

The Silver-shod Muse 07-01-2002 06:30 PM

Your sig is fitting, Nick. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sweatpea Knotwise 07-23-2002 03:42 PM

Disregarding the theory that it's actually Sauron's ego on display, It would make sense for the WK to be conceited since it was through his hubris that he was enslaved.

Aldagrim Proudfoot 07-24-2002 08:24 AM

That gets me thinking. Did he actually know he was a slave to Sauron, or did he think he had it good being so powerful.

Kuruharan 07-24-2002 09:27 AM

He knew. His will was chained to his own Ring that Sauron held. Thus, he had no will of his own, just Sauron's will. If he knew anything in his wretched state, he knew that he was Sauron's slave.