The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   PHANTASY FOOTBALL: Arda Cup 2013 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18376)

the phantom 05-17-2013 03:54 PM

PHANTASY FOOTBALL: Arda Cup 2013

The Phantasy Team Competition is fast approaching!!

Tell your friends, tell your enemies, and tell those people you don't really talk to! :)

Last season that yearly powerhouse Gwath looked like he would take home his third title, but the ever-solid Nog came through at the very end and earned his first. Will he repeat? Or will Gwath reclaim the throne?

Perhaps another past champion, Skip, or Boro, will make their own argument for being the greatest of all time. Or maybe some perpetual threat, like Nilp or Nerwen, will finally break through.

Or perhaps this is the year everything comes together for Sally or Shasta, or perhaps a newer face like Legate will show everyone that experience isn't all that counts...

We shall see....

Before I list the rules for this year's competition, we need to take care of some business, and we need your help.

We need to vote on the roster for Tol In Gaurhoth!! :cool:

Per tradition (and as a reward for lots of game-writing and organization), Boro, Nilp, and I are on the team, as is Inzil thanks to his hard-luck prize last year. :D

Drauglin and Thuringwethil will be playing with Tol In Gaurhoth this year as well- so that means there are four Wight slots to fill, and one Wolf slot to fill (the goalkeeper). There are also two Wight slots on the Barrow-Downs team, but for the moment those are reserved for new players. (If you've never played Arda Cup before and you sign up, you're on the Barrow-Downs team. In the absence of two completely new players, two players that didn't play last year will gain the slots.)

So long story short, we need to elect five people to play.

As of now everyone is allowed five total votes for either nominating or seconding (you can't vote for the same person twice of course). Anyone that receives four votes is in immediately, and if not enough Downers have received the necessary number of votes by the middle of next week I will simply take the highest vote getters.

Don't worry about nominating Wights & Wolves separately- that will sort itself out later.

The team currently stands-

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK- (TBAwolf)
DF- Drauglin
DF- (TBAwight)
DF- BoroWolf
DF- NilpWolf
MF- (TBAwight)
MF- (TBAwight)
MF- (TBAwight)

MF- PhantomWolf
FW- Thuringwethil
FW- InzilWolf

the phantom 05-17-2013 04:07 PM

I will go ahead and nominate Nerwen and Shasta for the TIG team.

Inziladun 05-17-2013 04:19 PM

Seconded Nerwen and Shasta.

Nilpaurion Felagund 05-17-2013 05:59 PM

Nerwen and Shasta thirded.

EDIT: Also, Galadriel55 has to be there. Lovely EAisticle article.

the phantom 05-17-2013 06:03 PM

Second Galadriel.

Nerwen 05-17-2013 08:36 PM

Second Shasta and third Galadriel55.

Galadriel55 05-17-2013 09:51 PM

Second Nerwen. I believe that puts both her and Shasta on the team. Also, nominate Legate and hope he shows up. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund (Post 683509)
EDIT: Also, Galadriel55 has to be there. Lovely EAisticle article.

Why thank you, kind sir. Next time I'll know how to bribe you. :D:Merisu:

PS: isn't it Draugluin?

satansaloser2005 05-18-2013 10:31 AM

Finalizing Gal. And yes, I fully plan to perform this year. All I need is a chance to sprinkle- I mean sparkle- I mean shine.

Nilpaurion Felagund 05-18-2013 04:53 PM

One must never forgo the opportunity to push Sally closer to the noose.

Erm, I mean . . .

++Sallykins

the phantom 05-22-2013 03:42 PM

Nominated
Legate
Sally

Elected to the team
Shasta
Nerwen
Galadriel55

Since he's played the position previously, and because he was first elected, Shasta will go in the goalkeeper Werewolf slot (unless he requests otherwise). Since Nerwen was next and has a history playing on offense, she can fill the first midfielder slot if that is her wish. Gal55 played defense for us last year, so I'll slot her in there unless she asks to be moved to midfield.

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK- ShastaWolf
DF- Draugluin
DF- GaladriWight
DF- BoroWolf
DF- NilpWolf
MF- (TBAwight)
MF- (TBAwight)

MF- NerWight
MF- PhantomWolf
FW- Thuringwethil
FW- InzilWolf

Shastanis Althreduin 05-22-2013 10:32 PM

*howls*

I'll do better this year, promise. ;)

Also, I'm going to second Sally and nominate Skip (unless another team snapped him up and I missed it.)

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-23-2013 05:07 AM

I'd be for nominating Nog.

Galadriel55 05-23-2013 05:36 AM

Second Nog!

Boromir88 05-23-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 683567)
I'd be for nominating Nog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 683569)
Second Nog!

Nog is already on a team. As a prize for winning the phantasy tournament last year, several competing clubs offered Nogwolf a contract and he made his choice to play for someone other than TiG.

Boromir88 05-23-2013 06:22 AM

Oh forgot:

++Nominate Gwath

Nilpaurion Felagund 05-23-2013 07:12 AM

(Down to one vote, hoping to use it on Eomer if he does join.)

Second Gwath.

And, as Boro said, Nog pulled a Götze and has moved on to 'greener pastures.'

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-23-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 683571)
Nog is already on a team. As a prize for winning the phantasy tournament last year, several competing clubs offered Nogwolf a contract and he made his choice to play for someone other than TiG.

Well that makes sense. It was only what surprised me since phantom didn't mention him, and I was wondering why he wasn't there.

Nerwen 05-24-2013 08:45 PM

Second Sally and Legate.

Gwathagor 05-27-2013 01:29 AM

Here we are again!

Nilpaurion Felagund 05-27-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 683675)
Here we are again!

He's here!!! Head for the hills!!!!!

the phantom 05-29-2013 03:26 PM

I will also second Legate, putting us at-

Nominated
Legate (3)
Sally (3)
Skip
Gwath (2)

Elected to the team
Shasta
Nerwen
Galadriel55

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK- ShastaWolf
DF- Draugluin
DF- GaladriWight
DF- BoroWolf
DF- NilpWolf
MF- (TBAwight)
MF- (TBAwight)

MF- NerWight
MF- PhantomWolf
FW- Thuringwethil
FW- InzilWolf

If you know of any fresh face that wishes to join this year, or a returner from a previous year, remind them to announce it ASAP so they can claim a spot on the Barrow-Downs team.

wilwarin538 05-29-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the phantom (Post 683702)
If you know of any fresh face that wishes to join this year, or a returner from a previous year, remind them to announce it ASAP so they can claim a spot on the Barrow-Downs team.

*raises hand*

Galadriel55 05-29-2013 07:26 PM

++Wilwa. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-30-2013 04:18 AM

So it seems we are getting new faces after all. Nice! :)

Seconding Wilwa :)

Boromir88 06-01-2013 04:45 AM

++nominate Kuru

Stay tuned for TTN's Angband and Angfauglith stories :)

Nogrod 06-01-2013 12:44 PM

I'm slowly emerging back to life... to death that is.

Great to see Wilwa joining the game and the team!

That seems to mean that we can only get one from the top of the list; Legate (3), Sally (3) and Gwath (2), into the team.

I'm going to use one of my votes to tie it up with the argument that it would be bad to leave a multiple winner of the phantasy-tournament without a spot in the team.

Seconding: ++ Gwath

That said I withold my other votes as yet if someone else wants to make the difference here. If all the others have used their votes already (which I doubt), I'll use some more votes - well at least one - tomorrow...

Nogrod 06-02-2013 12:25 PM

Wait a minute... aren't there also two slots to fill in the 'Downer -team?

So. I have used one vote thus far.

I'm ready to use one more to vote for Gwath. As the "serial-winner" of the Arda Phantasy Game he kind of belongs to the Barrow-Downs team on my view.

But if I then vote for Sally & Legate for the 'Downer team, will that be settled then? Or do you tp have other ideas on how to fill those slots?

Or is anyone discussed above especially interested in a certain team to play for? I mean if Gwath would rather play in the 'Downer team and Sally couldn't think of herself in it, I could also vote otherwise.

Or someone else might take the initiative.

the phantom 06-03-2013 02:45 PM

Okay- here's how things stand I believe...

Nominated
Legate (3)
Sally (3)
Skip
Gwath (3)
Wilwa (2)
Kuru

Elected to the team
Shasta
Nerwen
Galadriel55

Barring two brand new faces, Wilwa automatically gets a slot on the Barrow-Downs team as a returning player.

That leaves Legate, Sally, and Gwath all up for two spots on the TIG squad. The first two to receive another vote get the slots, while the third person will be slotted on the Barrow-Downs team, only to be bumped out if a brand new player shows up.

I think that's fair, yes?

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK- ShastaWolf
DF- Draugluin
DF- GaladriWight
DF- BoroWolf
DF- NilpWolf
MF- (TBAwight)
MF- (TBAwight)

MF- NerWight
MF- PhantomWolf
FW- Thuringwethil
FW- InzilWolf

The Barrow-Downs
GK Alien
DF Lumpkin
DF (tbaWight)
DF River Woman
DF Barrow-Wight
MF WilWight
MF Lalwende MP
MF Goldberry
MF Hookbill
FW Saucepan Man
FW Bombadil

As soon as the slots are finalized we'll post complete rosters and groupings for everyone, and then we'll play two rounds of friendlies while everyone has time to look at the teams and rules and decide on your squad.

Gwathagor 06-03-2013 03:29 PM

++Legate.

Inziladun 06-03-2013 04:08 PM

++Legate
++Sally

Nogrod 06-03-2013 05:40 PM

So unless new people come in Sally & Legate are on the T-I-G -team this year.

And with...

++ Gwath

we will have Gwathagor in the BD-team.

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-03-2013 11:40 PM

Oh, bother. I haven't made the logo yet. (It's kinda special cos in case many of you haven't noticed, we're five years old already!!!)

the phantom 06-04-2013 10:13 AM

Okay- that settles matters. Competition rules & full rosters & groupings will be posted in the next day or so. :)

the phantom 06-04-2013 03:03 PM

Rosters and groups are posted on the other thread so you can start looking at them any time. Tonight or tomorrow the competition rules will go up on this thread. :cool:

Nogrod 06-04-2013 04:21 PM

The teams are in, the groups are in... so go and look for them in the game thread!

The exact rules are coming forwards any day now, but you can already start looking where you should pick your team from.

And just that everyone is on the same page, I'm also asking for tp to confirm the structure of the tournament.

So after the group phase where all the teams in one group meet each other once, the winner of group A meets the second team from group H (and the winner of group H meets the second of group A), then the winner of group B meets the second team from group G etc.?

Nogrod 06-04-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilp
Oh, bother. I haven't made the logo yet. (It's kinda special cos in case many of you haven't noticed, we're five years old already!!!)

Oh, we need a logo!

Maybe for all the teams? ;)

Is there anyone interested in making team logos or designing kits for the teams?

Nogrod 06-04-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 683843)
Is there anyone interested in making team logos or designing kits for the teams?

Well... to be honest, no one can do that alone. But if people had ideas and willingness to take on such a project we could do it together?

the phantom 06-04-2013 04:48 PM

Yes, quite right- confirming format.

The four teams in groups play one another (so three games). Three points for a win, one for a draw. After each has played its three matches, the two teams with the most points go to the playoffs. (Goal differential & goals scored are used as tie-breakers.)

The group winners host the first round of the playoffs, and are visited by group runner-ups. Group A winner plays Group H runner-up, Group B winner plays Group G runner up, Group C winner plays Group F runner up, and so on...

After posting the competition rules I will post the round 1 match-ups so you can start thinking about your selections as soon as possible. You'll have two rounds of friendlies to decide your teams and such.

Boromir88 06-04-2013 04:56 PM

I'm surprised morm and/or Eomer haven't made an appearance yet? It wouldn't be a proper phantasy tournament without them.

Nilpaurion Felagund 06-04-2013 07:12 PM

Assuming the spam post gets deleted . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 683843)
Oh, we need a logo!

Maybe for all the teams? ;)

I'm making the 2013 Arda Cup logo. Also, I have ideas for colours of some teams (viz. the ones I did a diagram on at least once.) But making logos for each would be beyond me.