The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Epitahs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5248)

Meela 06-15-2003 03:36 PM

Epitahs

If we are all dead here on the Downs, then I take it we all have graves and gravestones. What message/epitah would you have written on your headstone, or what do you think would be written on the graves of the characters?

Denethor's is obviously going to have to make some sort of jokey reference to fire. I can't think of one right now, but feel free to give me suggestions.

My own epitah should be: "Riding off into the sunset with Denethor".

You might notice this refers to my location, which has been my location for many years. I might as well see it through, huh?

Duncariel 06-15-2003 03:42 PM

lol. Great idea.

O.K. Mine would say

"Death is only the Beginning. Beware the last of the Firstborn, for I shall ride again."

kinda pathetic... oh well.

the guy who be short 06-15-2003 03:52 PM

Interesting thread. Mine would be: Disturb not my rest, lest I should awake again and attack thy knees.

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 06-15-2003 06:44 PM

Lol! Nice one, G.W.B.S.

Mine would be something like this:

"Listen to my spirit whispering. What does it say? It says....GET OFF MY GRAVE!"

mordor136 06-15-2003 07:28 PM

Since I'll more than likely die while on this website mine would say...

"Early to bed, never to rise. Who thought a website could cause my demise." [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Finwe 06-15-2003 09:26 PM

Haha, this is a great topic! Mine would probably have to say something like:

"Driven to death by my children, a parent's worst nightmare finally happened."

(To be true to my Finwe character)

Wolvaurynomir 06-15-2003 10:39 PM

Quote:

Denethor's is obviously going to have to make some sort of jokey reference to fire. I can't think of one right now, but feel free to give me suggestions.
Most definitely. I think something along the lines of: "He went down in flames and glory" (gorey?) would suffice. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hmm... I can't quite think of an epitaph for myself. "For Gondor Nevermore" perhaps... or maybe my own signature line "For Gondor and the fallen... bub!" I dunno, I don't think I could sum it all up.

There's always, "Had to Disco" for Boromir. As a character (whose name escapes me) in Much Ado About Nothing said: "There's a double meaning to that...." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Everdawn 06-15-2003 11:19 PM

There is always the classic... Lord what fools these mortals be..

But i would most likely have my sig..
Like icy wind which floats around, they lie in wait. Lost souls never come home.
These are the words of The Princess of the silver woods, mistress of the new dawn.

Or somehting freaky like that....

Everdawn 06-15-2003 11:22 PM

Legolas' would be...

Only to spend eternity with my Herbal Essence...

If an elf ever should die???

Arwen_Evenstar 06-16-2003 03:31 AM

Well, I'm female, so i couldnt use this one, but this is what billy connolly(comedian) said he wanted on his:
'Id have it in wee small writing, so people what have to walk up really close to see it, and then it would say, 'You're standing on my d***!'
Forgive me if that was innapropriate [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Duncariel- OMG!!! Scary!!! o_0
I dno about me....a lotr quote for sure though!
Everdawn- L O L!!!
Pippin- Grieve not, for I go to hobbit heaven, where the apples are plentiful, the pipe weed is strong, the ale is brown, and....the hobbit lasses have pillowfights in their underwear!!!

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen_Evenstar ]

Tinuviel of Denton 06-16-2003 08:50 AM

Quote:

As a character (whose name escapes me) in Much Ado About Nothing said: "There's a double meaning to that...."
Benedick. Just in case you're wondering.

My epitaph...well, maybe something simple, deep, and having to do with elves. Like "A Elbereth Gilthoniel!" Or a quote from the Lay of Leithien (no idea what at this moment as I do not have it handy to consult.

LePetitChoux 06-16-2003 12:30 PM

I prefer epitaphs to rhyme.

Legolas:
There was once an elf from Mirkwood
Who'd never have thought that he would
Sail over the sea
In a dwarf's company
In a strange nostalgic mood...

OK, that was bad, but here's another

Aragorn:
Who ever says life begins at forty
Is saying words untrue and weighty
for as this Numenorean proved
Life genuinely begins at eighty!

Um...still bad...
I like this thread and epitaphs in general...though I may be confusing them with epigrams... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]

Sapphire_Flame 06-16-2003 01:00 PM

Everdawn, I love yours! Where did you get that sig?

ArwenBaggins 06-16-2003 01:46 PM

Well, I'd like something in Elvish, maybe this:

Nae! Be-vall dannar lais na-húl, ínath arnediad bin revail gelaidh! Ínath 'wannanner be yllath gelig e-viruvor velui ned bair erchail athan Annûn, di-rynd luin Elbereth ias elenath thiliar na-'lír lam dîn aer a brand.
Which means: 'Alas! Like gold fall [the] leaves in-[the]-wind, long-years numberless as the winds of trees! [The] long-years [have] passed like swift draughts [of] the miruvórë in lofty halls beyond [the] West, beneath [the] blue vaults [of] Varda wherein [the] stars glimmer in-[the]-song [of] her voice holy and noble.

Or, quoting Albus Dumbledore from HP:
'For the well organized mind, Death is the next great adventure.'

Wow. I've never though about what will be (is) on my grave.... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

peonydeepdelver 06-16-2003 02:00 PM

I can't think of an epitaph for myself, but my teacher kept singing this song and it's stuck in my head so....

"Here lies Gollum and Smeagol:
I fell in to a burning ring of fire
I went down, down, down
and the flames went higher.
And it burns, burns, burns
the ring of fire."

Wolvaurynomir 06-16-2003 02:04 PM

Quote:

Benedick. Just in case you're wondering.
Right. I remembered after I got up this morning. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I know what's on my tombstone:

"Look out, God! I'm comin' home!"

Luthien_ Tinuviel 06-16-2003 08:42 PM

Meela, I know this may not work, but how about "Denethor's Fiery True Love"? This could mean that the love was fiery or that you were fiery, either way. Ardent, fervent, perfervent, torrid, burning, flaming, fervid, and perhaps even pyrogenic are all synonyms of "fiery" in one way or another, so any of these could be used. Perhaps "Here lies Meela the Torrid, consumed by ardent love for Denethor and his fervidity"? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Hope this helps in some small way.

Everdawn 06-17-2003 12:37 AM

Quote:

Everdawn, I love yours! Where did you get that sig?
Where did I get it?? From the dark recesses of my imagination...

Meela 06-17-2003 05:32 AM

Quote:

Perhaps "Here lies Meela the Torrid, consumed by ardent love for Denethor and his fervidity"?
I love that! Thank you!

Trippo The Hippo 06-17-2003 10:50 AM

Heres mine, (Little thought went into it maybe I will work on a better one later.)
"Here lies a Hippo!"

Duncariel 06-17-2003 12:17 PM

These are all awesome.

I'd also like to add Namarie to the bottom, close to the ground.

elven maiden Earwen 06-17-2003 12:23 PM

Since were all dead and at the BD's how 'bout Beware of the Wight

purplefluffychainsaw 06-17-2003 12:35 PM

knowing my mate Loz, mine would be:

RIP - Rest In Peices

Anyway, Aragorn's would be something abou greasy hair... Can't be bothered to think now though...

Meela 06-17-2003 12:56 PM

Aragorn wouldn't have an epitah. Just a high fence making sure nobody can go within 30 feet of his grave. Just outside of the fence are the graves of the two brave souls who buried him- the first of many to succumb to the horrific smell that lingers over his grave.

No, I love him really...I can't think of anything right now. Get back to you on his epitah.

Rose Cotton 06-17-2003 03:31 PM

I don't know about the other characters but I know what Rose Cotton's would be:

"I'll wait for you again."

In case you didn't guess that would be a message for Sam.

For me, um...I'd have to go with a Harry Potter quote:

"..To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 06-17-2003 04:14 PM

I thought up an ending for my life. No, but really, I have a better one than the one I posted before.

"Here I lie, a whisper in the dark."

Everdawn 06-18-2003 12:16 AM

Quote:

"Here lies a Hippo!"
hehehe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Arwen's
OH my eru! i am dead! why oh why did i not listen to my father???

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

ArwenBaggins 06-18-2003 10:11 AM

Here's a kinda lame one for Pippin's grave:

Merry TOLD me not to eat those poison mushrooms!

And I'm still sticking to this for my grave. It's kinda long, but I like it.

Nae! Be-vall dannar lais na-húl, ínath arnediad bin revail gelaidh! Ínath 'wannanner be yllath gelig e-viruvor velui ned bair erchail athan Annûn, di-rynd luin Elbereth ias elenath thiliar na-'lír lam dîn aer a brand.

I don't know if I will have the translation or not. It will leave the reader to ponder: 'What the hell does that mean'?

'Alas! Like gold fall [the] leaves in-[the]-wind, long-years numberless as the winds of trees! [The] long-years [have] passed like swift draughts [of] the miruvórë in lofty halls beyond [the] West, beneath [the] blue vaults [of] Varda wherein [the] stars glimmer in-[the]-song [of] her voice holy and noble.

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]

Tinuviel of Denton 06-18-2003 05:13 PM

I think I want to put your epitaph in my sig, ArwenBaggins. Would that be all right with you? It's lovely.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 06-18-2003 08:09 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps "Here lies Meela the Torrid, consumed by ardent love for Denethor and his fervidity"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I love that! Thank you!
You're welcome. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Yeah! I was helpful! I feel special! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Everdawn 06-19-2003 12:55 AM

And for Aragorn...

I bet she (arwen) is angry that she did not listen to her father...

There is another cool funeral one but i cant remember the whole thing, i think it is by an australian poet, but it goes something, something... "i do not lie there I am not dead"... blah blah blah.. when i find it ill post, becuase it would fit very well for aragorn, as a final farewell.

ArwenBaggins 06-22-2003 12:30 PM

Tinuviel of Denton:
Sure, but kinda put that it's my epitah.
Glad you like it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yavanna228 06-22-2003 01:49 PM

One line from the Silm that I think sounds somewhat like an epitaph is
Quote:

But Finrod walks with Finarfin his father beneath the trees in Eldamar.
I don't know why, but it sounds wistful and lovely. I would probably put something like that on my gravestone, but I don't know that I would worry overmuch about it now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace

ElenCala Isil 06-22-2003 06:13 PM

I'm not sure what I would have as an epitah just yet, but there would be some mention of my race... perhaps something like "Here lies the Elvish Hobbit"

Everdawn 06-25-2003 02:22 AM

but there is no such thing as an elvish hobbit.... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] i like it.... but then agian, i like most things which dont make sense.

Elróthiel 06-29-2003 06:28 AM

Heehee! Something one of my friends told me could be my epitaph!
Here Lies Elróthiel, the Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter.

Apparantly the cause of people finding out that gravity DOES exist when reading One Way of Embarrassing LotR Characters.

I like that!
Oh! Saruman's would be:

The Xerox of Joseph, for he too wore a Coat of Many Colors.

Also.
Mandos's (if he ever found himself wandering in his own Halls):
I knew I should have put a safe bar on my own immortality! Damn "Off" button!

(OK, that sucked, but it sounded funny at the time, I swear!)

Gimli's
Now I KNOW why they don't allow Dwarves in Valinor!

Sauron's
Oy! Gollum! Gimme back my Ring! I made that! NO! DON'T EAT IT!!!!

The Ring's:
So NOW he tells me I can be destroyed! I would have sprouted legs if he'd told me before! Stupid Sauron!

Sorry! I can't help putting so many! Its addicting!
Namarié!
From
Elróthiel, the Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aredhel Idril Telcontar 06-29-2003 08:28 AM

Ok, since I already died *twice* I need two! Yay!

"My husband killed me, my son's a freak
I'm now at Mandos, let's all go 'eek!!'"

"Hot tubbin' in Mandos! Who said dying is bad?"

And a bonus one for when I will really die

"CAUTION! Resteless dead person! Look, I'm right behind you! BOO!!"

Meela 06-29-2003 09:18 AM

Gandalf's:

"Do not tread on my grave, for I am subtle and quick to anger."

Aredhel Idril Telcontar 06-29-2003 09:39 AM

Boromir's:
"My first bungee-jump happened after I died"

ElenCala Isil 06-30-2003 12:06 PM

Quote:

My first bungee-jump happened after I died
Bwahahahaa *snicker, snicker* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]