The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hey ye oldsters, take up your brooms, we'll strike a sweeping party! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11386)

HerenIstarion 11-26-2004 01:58 AM

Hey ye oldsters, take up your brooms, we'll strike a sweeping party!

The following is directed at 'old' members, i.e., those who remember EzBoard times and have been around prior to our migration to UBB software.

When occassionaly I happen to wander in our attics, I find some posts which originally took place in Ez times, posts (possibly) of great value, but of horrid appearence. They usually look like one to follow:

Quote:

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
Re: Orcish Fear

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> 2) Tolkien got the idea for Orcs from Béowulf, where they are mentioned but not elaborated. Goblins did not really have an immediate relation to the elves of Norse-Teutonic myth; so this connection is flawed somehow.<hr></blockquote>

I don't remember where did I pick it up, still an idea is twisting in my subconscious that the word ork meant &quot;whale&quot; in old english

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000111>HerenIst arion</A> at: 11/7/00 4:45:12 pm
Not that easy to wade through, even when it is a short post. Now imagine if same goes for length of several A4 format pages?

What I need you oldsters for now is that once in a while, when you occasionally meet such a post of your authorship, (please) take a minite or two to get rid of these rags. For it is not you only who happens to stray into our attics once in a while, and I suppose many a good topic were not read due to repelling appearence it had thanks to old code tags left in it. But a minute of your time, and the post looks much more attractive:

Quote:

Wight
Re: Orcish Fëar

Quote:

2) Tolkien got the idea for Orcs from Béowulf, where they are mentioned but not elaborated. Goblins did not really have an immediate relation to the elves of Norse-Teutonic myth; so this connection is flawed somehow
I don't remember where did I pick it up, still an idea is twisting in my subconscious that the word ork meant whale in old English

Edited by: HerenIstarion at: 11/7/00 4:45:12 pm
I don't urge you to do it on purpose. In many cases (in my very own - more than half of my posts, as I've been far more fertile poster in my first year than I'm now, falls under the category of 'posts in the attic') it would be overly time-consuming, even impossible, to set out and edit all of them in one go. But it can be done over time. Don't just pass by when you see such a post of yours, do some sweeping. After all, it is your post, if not now, once it was dear to you as a medium for thought once held, even if debunked since.

Many members who posted in days of yore and have similar 'attic posts' are no longer around. We can't help their posts looking the way they do today, but we can cleanse ours. Some even may be deserving to be thrown into a dustbin, and you'd be glad to have a chance to reread and delete it, as you'll be striken by their 'unsuitability' to standards, or to what you think appropriate today.

Please?

HerenIstarion 11-26-2004 06:45 AM

another proviso

All of the above applicable when person editing constrains said to criteria as defined in the followng thread:

Let me know the reason, there is a good lad or lassie

I.e. no drastic changes, mere cosmetic decoration or grammatical consistency is required and asked for

mark12_30 11-26-2004 08:25 AM

For those with post-counts beyond 500, early posts can be found by doing an advanced search.

Wish I had as much attic-time as you do, H-I!

The Barrow-Wight 11-26-2004 08:40 AM

Good idea, H-I. Personally, I've already been cleaning my old posts when someone dredges them up. I've done it because I figured if someone has taken the time to bring back such old mathoms (not always a good thing), they might as well be legible.

HerenIstarion 11-26-2004 09:05 AM

Yes, BW, I do the same :)

Mark:

Quote:

For those with post-counts beyond 500, early posts can be found by doing an advanced search
I don't ask for 'tour de force' - more like when you 'happen to see it' in a natural course of events - so 'they might as well be legible'

mark12_30 11-26-2004 01:13 PM

Ah, but that's my point... my normal "course of events" doesn't take me to them very often. When it does I shall narse.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 11-27-2004 12:57 PM

There's me thinking you were organising a party for us Heren ...

Meela 11-27-2004 03:45 PM

Thankyou for bringing this up, I've now begun slavishly trawling through my posts improving and altering where I can. It's surprising what you can dig up in a search, I've had a lot of fun re-discovering the older topics. Not as much fun seeing how badly I posted, though.

Estelyn Telcontar 11-27-2004 04:01 PM

An excellent suggestion, HI! Additionally, for members whose posts are later than EZBoard days - the old UBB links don't work since our last move. It's a good idea to check old posts for links and fix them so that they lead where they are meant to go! Smilie codes need fixing as well...

HerenIstarion 11-28-2004 03:42 PM

it is easier than I thought

Well, if before starting the campaign my 'cleaning' was occasional, now, to give a good leading example ;), I purposefully cleaned up all my ezposts in the Books forum. It took a good part of a week-end surfing, but it was not as difficult as I've feared. For one, there is less to clean than laziness suggested - only last two pages of the Books (69-70), not half of them as I've expected, were 'heavily-ragged' - those to be posted prior to Fall 2001. Prior to Fall 2002 only smiley codes are amiss, and those don't interrupt flow of the discussion very much.

Besides, it can be done simultaneoulsy - several threads in one go - one opens the last or last but one page of any given forum and works from the end, looking up threads were one has posted (ones where bulbs are marked with little white dots) Edits can be done bunch at a time, by means of 'open link in new window' facility

Still, I admit, I dread cleaning of Quotes forum. Next weekend, probably. Or maybe one after the next... :rolleyes:

Snowdog 11-29-2004 09:50 AM

I actually remember the EZ board days. i think it was in May 2000 I visited a few times under the name Snowdogs. Fortunatly I seriously doubt any of my few posts from back then ever made it through the circuts of time.

mark12_30 11-29-2004 11:04 AM

H-I, suddenly I am glad that I joined quite a bit later than you. ;)

But thanks for mentioning the white dots. I had yet to make the connection!

THE Ka 12-05-2004 07:33 PM

A little confused...

Ok... um i need to ask a question...maybe two.

I don't think i've been around since the Ez board days but, i do remember a big renovation taking place on the downs...because, it seemed as if everyone had "disappeared" and some posts were not there as they had been the day before. Also, some of the formats in the profile changed. I think it might had been sometime in the last two summers...I might be wrong.

Another is, I forgot how to locate very old post... and i feel in a cleaning mood so, i'm just curious.

If you could help, it would be a great relief!

~Thankful Ka~

HerenIstarion 12-06-2004 01:55 AM

The events you refer to must have happened when the UBB versions updates took place (Fall 2002, Spring 2004, I will stand corrected if I missed some). Only smiley codes ran amok during the event. But your initiative is commendable :). Find list of all your posts here (the path - click on your screenname in any of your posts to view your profile (THE Ka), than click 'find all posts by THE Ka' in your profile)

HerenIstarion 01-24-2005 09:20 AM

update and a tip

Current situation update: Despite recent slowdown, I believe I've managed one fifth of the whole posts to be edited.

Tip for those who just started - don't repeat my mistake, and keep record of number of posts you've edited - knowing the date of the migration from EZ to UBB, and knowing approximate number of your posts by that date, it will be easier for you to know what is your progress. I haven't done that, and now regret it :)

cheers

Lindolirian 03-31-2005 11:04 AM

Up!

Because we (yes me too) have been slacking off. I like reading the old threads, but sometimes it's too tedious. :eek:

HerenIstarion 08-19-2005 05:45 AM

reporting progress, sarge!

Well, after nine months of 'slackery-nigglery' editing, I may finally wipe my brow and give birth to a report: at last, all my posts [presumably, unless I've missed some] in Books forum are cleansed of old code rags and, hopefully, spelling errors too. Some got deleted for being pointless, useless (on account of me not remembering where the links I originally provided were supposed to lead to) or generally silly.

The enourmous time waste over comparatively small number of posts was caused by the fact that, more often than not, I was distracted from my main goal and got carried away reading them :)

Now, horrid 'Quotes' forum lies ahead of me. It contains way more posts to be edited...

*sigh*

the guy who be short 08-19-2005 05:49 AM

Surely it isn't really necessary to go through all your Quotes posts! :eek: I usually only read the first post of a Quotes thread to get the rules, than go to the last page to start joining in.

And less HerenIstarion editting means more HerenIstarion posting. :D

The Saucepan Man 08-19-2005 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgwbs
And less HerenIstarion editting means more HerenIstarion posting.

... and also more time for Mrs Istarion. ;)

mark12_30 08-19-2005 07:45 AM

Good heavens, H-I. Take a break!

Beren87 08-20-2005 01:01 AM

This brings up rather frightening memories. I think I was 14 when I signed up here.

HerenIstarion 08-20-2005 01:54 PM

SpM, TGWBS, Helen, first things first, that's why it took so long :) (BTW, in one of my previous I reported similar 'completion of cleansing', but I haven't accounted for threads bumped up - cleaning last several pages only back than)

Holbytlass 08-23-2005 06:49 AM

I'm done!! Actually, don't start being impressed. I had only one post to clean in this guise (Holbytlass), my original (Hobbitlass) I can't get into therefore I regret that it must remain dirty.

HerenIstarion 12-01-2005 01:38 AM

Slow (but steady?) progress

I may wipe my brow now - Quotable Quotes cleansed :). Next summit to be conquered - Quiz Room!