The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   John and Edith: Beren and Luthien (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=997)

obloquy 11-19-2001 01:37 AM

John and Edith: Beren and Luthien

I brought this up a while back but couldn't find a link to show everyone. Finally got one. http://www.hereintown.net/~greggd/newpics/grave.jpg

Touching!

Telchar 11-19-2001 06:13 AM

There should grow white flowers all over that grave...

Elrian 11-20-2001 09:13 PM

Thanks for sharing that Oboquy

Luthien 11-20-2001 09:22 PM

Wow, that's really sweet [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lúthien

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Lúthien ]

Elendil 01-12-2002 01:49 PM

It's really sweet, but even if there are no white flowers, there's at least roses....

Halbarad 01-13-2002 08:19 PM

Just last night I was comparing Ronald and Edith to Arwen and Aragorn. Figures...

Turambar 01-13-2002 08:29 PM

Good man, obloquy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lush 03-31-2002 09:25 PM

What a sweet, sad, simple grave.
I am suddenly quite wistful. I hope they are happy, and together, wherever they are.

Child of the 7th Age 03-31-2002 10:03 PM

Thank you for posting this link. I have seen black and white photographs of the gravesites from the books, but somehow it is much more poignant with the small pink roses and the rough gray of the stones contrasted with the simple names "Luthien" and "Beren". Oh, that man at least had the life span of a hobbit so that we might have had them with us for a bit longer!

Fingolas 04-01-2002 08:11 PM

Thanks Obloquy,

I’ve never seen a picture of Tolkiens grave before. I’m curious about the names Beren and Luthien.

I am assuming that they refer to his wife and himself. Was it in fact Tolkien that selected these names, or did members of the family do this after their deaths?

I understand the significance of the love story, so I’m guessing that Tolkien himself made the choice.

goldwine 04-01-2002 10:51 PM

Thanks for the post. Re-reading the story of Luthien and Beren in the Silm, they had a rough time, although their love allowed them to overcome much. I wonder if Edith and JRRT had difficult circumstances in their relationship? War etc. would have impacted them too.

Altariel 04-01-2002 11:10 PM

Oh... that is so sweet! *wipes away a tear*

Eärendil 04-02-2002 02:21 AM

*Sniff sniff, tears running down the face*
So sweet.
Thanx for sharing that with us obloquy.

Orodhromeus 04-02-2002 02:15 PM

@ Fingolas:
JRRT chose to write 'Luthien' on his wife's gravestone when she died. I guess 'Beren' was written on his after his children's decision. Beren & Luthien's meeting scene (dancing in the woods) was inspired after JRR & Edith's real meeting.

Lush 04-02-2002 02:48 PM

Orod, you serious?
Ah, sweetness! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Fingolas 04-02-2002 08:46 PM

Orodhromeus,

Thanks for the info.

Very touching.

Child of the 7th Age 04-03-2002 12:26 AM

Yes, I'm sure there were many tensions and challenges, just like Beren and Luthien. About their relationship, several biographers hve pointed to definite elements of tension at times. Of course, beause they were so young on meeting and their religious backgrounds were different, they were kept apart till age 21. Like Luthien, Edith had to give up her own heritage, that of the Anglican Church, to be with her new husband. And although Edith converted to Catholicism before her marriage, she did not always feel comfortable with her new faith. There were periods of resentment and arguments until she came to make peace with her life. Other biographers talk about the fact that she was not always comfortable with academic life or Tolkien's participation with his male friends in evening discussions of literature. And Tolkien in later years berated himself, probably unjustly, for having been so peoccupied with the hard realities of making economic ends meet that he neglected his family. Even so, it's clear he never lost his feelings for Edith and always remembered the sweet girl dancing in the moonlight, the image on which he modelled the figure of Luthien. sharon

Nevfeniel 04-03-2002 09:56 PM

Awwwww. . .

goldwine 04-04-2002 02:50 AM

Thanks Child of the 7th Age. It is interesting to ponder how the real world impacted Tolkien's stories, isn't it?

dragongirlG 04-07-2002 10:50 AM

Very touching. It shows how Tolkien's work affected his real life. Thanks for sharing it.

Erwethiel 04-09-2002 09:14 AM

That's so cute!
True love...*sigh*

Aosama, the Wandering Star 05-05-2002 08:54 PM

*sniff* I'd heard this story, but the picture still made me wanna cry... great link! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! *wipes tear away* Beren and Luthien! Now I really have to read the Sil!

Nufaciel 05-06-2002 09:17 AM

Thanks for the link. I too had seen the black and white photos, but the colored photograph is much more poignant. *sniff*

stone of vision 05-06-2002 10:08 AM

That man was not only in love with the world he has created but also in his real life.
Really a Beautiful Mind <respectful bow>

The Half-Hobbit 05-06-2002 12:06 PM

I'd known about the names on the stone, but I hadn't seen it, and I also hadn't known that the meeting in the woods was based on their first meeting. Thanks for posting this! A lovely, if a bit sad moment in a blah day for me....Tolkien is always making things better, in little personal ways, even now after he and his Luthien have passed.

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: The Half-Hobbit ]

littlemanpoet 05-07-2002 10:00 AM

John was also younger than Edith, about two years, I think, which was itself considered "not done" after a fashion. So like Beren and Luthien, there was this waiting upon others' sense of what was allowable.

Losthuniel 05-12-2002 05:35 PM

awwww. and it makes sense. that he would name the most beautiful elf in ME after his wife...its so sad *tear* im saving this pic to my computer

*Varda* 05-26-2002 10:59 AM

aww that's so sweet, i feel quite weepy now... i had suspected that Beren and Luthien were based on John and Edith's backgrounds and past (i had to do quite a lot of research on his life for an English talk), they did have a lot of difficulties but managed to overcome them ... i still feel kind of weepy...i tend to feel like that a lot with lotr, anything will set me off.

Banazîr 05-26-2002 08:14 PM

Woa they seriously need to employed Samwise Gamgee to take care of this little garden!
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Kidd2323 05-27-2002 11:01 PM

Beren and Luthien: John and Edith: if only a few white flowers were blooming! Where in England is that grave?