The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Which Barrowdowns title would you use? (if you actually got one) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16509)

Eorl of Rohan 05-11-2010 10:07 AM

Which Barrowdowns title would you use? (if you actually got one)

I mean, sometimes you get tired and wish for any other title than the 'Ghost Prince of Cardolan', even to the point of wishing to go back to 'animated skeleton' or the 'newly dead'. And then start daydreaming of what title to use if you were authorized to have your own title. What would it be? (That is, for those of you who don't have one yet).

Mine would be Resplendent Eve.

It's said by Lucifer to Eve in John Milton's 'Paradise Lost', one of my favorite books ever and a masterwork on par with LOTR!

alatar 05-11-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eorl of Rohan (Post 629585)
.What would it be? (That is, for those of you who don't have one yet).

Of course, five seconds after the ink was dry on my "Doubting Dwimmerlaik" title, I thought that I could have improved on it some.

Keeps me from getting a tattoo...:D

Mithalwen 05-11-2010 11:15 AM

It is the pain thing that would stop me getting a tattoo and besides how else would anyone be able to tell me from Angelina Jolie ?:Merisu::p

I have never regretted my choice though I still like my other idea, and I like many other people's clever choices - particularly apt Tolkien ones like Alive without Breath and Drummer in the Deep. I have to console myself with an oblique reference to Gandalf...

It does seem a long time since any were awarded but then it has been very quiet latterly.

satansaloser2005 05-11-2010 11:48 AM

Alatar, that made me giggle.

Strangely enough I think "She Who Must Not Be Named" would be really cute, considering my usename. That and....erm, yeah. :p (Yes, I know, it's a Tolkien board. Your point? ;))

alatar 05-11-2010 07:01 PM

Your title, like your nick, is kind of permanent. Each must be somewhat short, and, to me, say something about who you are. On the Downs, I thought it important to use something from Tolkien as that's why I'm here.

It was a tough decision, especially for those of us who don't have one best, one favorite, one mode, one mind...

Loslote 05-11-2010 07:12 PM

I'd go with Lady Logic's Pet Snowflake, although I find myself strangely drawn to the idea of Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry. :p

Inziladun 05-11-2010 07:14 PM

I was allowed to choose mine in the dim, dark days when there weren't many here who had a PT, and all of them seemed to be in the vein of 'ghost' or 'sprit', save for Mister Underhill's fearsome 'Dread Horseman'. I thought I should stick with something ghostly, and rather descriptive, since I am really not much to look at. ;)
Today, I might try to be a bit more original.

Ibrīnišilpathānezel 05-11-2010 08:01 PM

Given that I'm not the chattiest person in the world, I rather think it will never be needed, but "Pronouncement of Doom" (or something similar) strikes me as appropriate. Aside from the difficult pronunciation of my nickname, there was a time a few months ago when it seemed as if every time I posted to a thread, it either died or went into a coma for a while. Just coincidence, no doubt, but I think I was in a low slump at the time. :)

Mithalwen 05-12-2010 04:58 AM

Yes, I certainly felt it appropriate to have a spooky element and for myself I needed a literary reference (though Maud Gonne is as unlikely a comparison as Angelina! save that she was also Hampshire born). And it reflected my restless nature.

Eorl of Rohan 05-12-2010 08:32 AM

Maud Gonne?

Wasn't she the Irish independence activist that Yeats was madly in love with to the end of his days?

Mithalwen 05-12-2010 12:16 PM

Yep and alas I don't have that effect on poets - unless they have trampled each other to death in the rush... but this is going off topic a bit even though my PT is from a poem he wrote for her...

Andsigil 05-12-2010 02:49 PM

Something from the following for me:

Telchar's Apprentice
Armorer of the Iron Hills
Chief Smith of Erebor

Morthoron 05-12-2010 09:59 PM

Curmudgeonly Wordwraith.

That's it. Now, refrain from indulging in further tedious queries and stay the hell off my lawn! ;p

Durelin 05-12-2010 10:31 PM

Something less emo than my current one.

I still like the Elvish, though. But...maybe something Old English-y or Latin-y...

Maybe something involving 'Minstrel', but that would just be a lie.

Maybe something even more emo having to do with 'blood' to go along with my emo RPG titles.

...I should never get a tatoo either. :D

Eorl of Rohan 05-13-2010 01:56 AM

I was always wondering. What does that mean, anyway?

Durelin 05-13-2010 01:48 PM

Unless I am completely off, 'Hope's bane, Love's chill.'

Gwathagor 05-13-2010 02:00 PM

I guess I'd go with "Shadowblade," or some variation thereon.

Gwathagor 05-13-2010 02:04 PM

Are the titles awarded based on post count or rep? Or do we just have to bribe the Barrow-Wight?

Brinniel 05-13-2010 03:38 PM

Members who are awarded titles typically have been on the Downs for at least a year and have reached Ghost Prince of Cardolan status. But most importantly, titles are given to members who have made a significant contribution to the forum and have a high standing reputation (and I don't mean in points).

It's been almost two and a half years since the last titles were given out, which is a really long time. I know the B-W and other admins are busy, but there are so many members who deserve a personal title and I'd love to see them get it. :) Please?

I received my title in 2003 when I was barely 15. While I'm sure I could come up with something more creative today, I'm still happy with the title I have. And I do have a tattoo. ;)

The Might 05-13-2010 06:08 PM

Brinniel just gave you the official version.

Actually, I'm the one calling the shots. So if you're lucky I might be so kind. :D

I'm still happy with mine, it's the job I would have enjoyed the most if I lived in Middle-earth. Nothing like hanging around at the highest tier of Minas Tirith.

alatar 05-14-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 629780)
But most importantly, titles are given to members who have made a significant contribution to the forum and have a high standing reputation (and I don't mean in points).

You must mean in 'height,' as I'm taller than some (and nothing else would explain me getting a title).

Quote:

And I do have a tattoo.
You'll have it in fifty years time as well. :p :D

Mithalwen 05-14-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alatar (Post 629896)
You must mean in 'height,' as I'm taller than some (and nothing else would explain me getting a title).

That must explain mine also. After all height is often commented in Tolkien, despite the hobbits' importance most of the other important "good" characters are marked out as being tall. I think you are on to something here Alatar.

alatar 07-15-2010 04:57 PM

* Déagol's Shade *

You're welcome.

Mattius 08-08-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 629769)
Are the titles awarded based on post count or rep? Or do we just have to bribe the Barrow-Wight?

Back when I got mine, the cost of a title was generally to hunt the Barrowdowns from dusk till dawn for trolls (forum and actual) and smite them with superior intellect and / or weaponry. Times may have changed now and with a Democrat in the Oval Office who knows, the admins may be willing to go to the table with said trolls to negotiate... but then I am an old violent dinosaur. ;)

I'm not sure but I think I had only just reached 500 when the B-W messaged me to offer me an individual title. I still suspect that there is another member out there with a similar name and ten thousand-odd posts in the Books section wondering when he / she is going to get his / her dues...