The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who is he starting to sound like? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11246)

Nimrodel_9 10-06-2004 04:24 PM

Who does he sound like?

I don`t know if this has been asked before or not, but it has been bothering me for quite some time. In The Two Towers where Frodo and Sam are having an arguement
Quote:

Sam: It`s the Ring. You can`t take your eyes off it. I`ve seen you. You`re not eatin`. You barely sleep. It`s takin` a hold of you, Mr. Frodo. You have to fight it!
Frodo: I know what I have to do, Sam. The Ring was entrusted to me me! It`s my task! Mine! My own!
Sam: Can`t you hear yourself? Don`t you know who you sound like?
Who is Sam talking about? My guess it`s Gollum. (Mine! My own!) But I`m not sure. Who else could it be? Boromir? Isildur? What are your thoughts?

The Only Real Estel 10-06-2004 05:59 PM

Gollum is the one that jumped out to me, & I think that's who PJ is insinuating Frodo is beginning to sound like. At any rate it couldn't have been Boromir, because he never said it was 'his', since he hadn't ever possessed it.

Carnimírië 10-06-2004 06:11 PM

I'd say it's Gollum. After all that is who Frodo sounded like most just then.

When Frodo said
Quote:

It`s my task! Mine! My own!
I half expected him to add "My Precious!"

Zebedee 10-06-2004 07:30 PM

I also think that it was Gollum.

Nimrodel_9 10-08-2004 04:05 PM

Yes, I also expected him to add "my precious" to that.

I thought it was Gollum Sam was talking about, but I wasn`t quite sure. :p

Neferchoirwen 10-10-2004 11:12 AM

Sounding like the ring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
Who is Sam talking about? My guess it`s Gollum. (Mine! My own!) But I`m not sure. Who else could it be? Boromir? Isildur? What are your thoughts?

The reason why Frodo sounds this way is because the Ring affects its bearers in hte same way, giving a real persona to the vice we call greed.

Sam, on the side of it, associates this tone to Gollum, since he has only heard Gollum. Boromir was alone with Frodo when He talked this way, and Sam was nowhere near Isildur in time or space to hear the king.

The Only Real Estel 10-11-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Boromir was alone with Frodo when He talked this way
Although Sam's speech to Faramir in Osgiliath (in TTT) would indicate that Frodo had told him of his encounter with Boromir. Still, Boromir never used those words, so you're right that Sam couldn't have been speaking of Boromir when he was talking to Frodo.

Neferchoirwen 10-12-2004 01:02 AM

Oh, I overlooked that. Thaks, Esty !

Nimrodel_9 10-13-2004 03:43 PM

Yes, I was going to say that Estel. The reason why I thought Boromir could have been who he was talking about was because of how he said, "It could have been mine! It should be mine!"

Arwen Imladris 10-20-2004 07:26 PM

What about Bilbo? At the beggining of FOTR he says;

Quote:

It's mine! I found it! It came to me!
Although it is different words, it's the same spirit, the focus on 'me' and 'mine'.

The Only Real Estel 10-20-2004 07:39 PM

That's true, Arwen Imladris; but I doubt that Sam would've known of the conversation. It seems unlikely that Gandalf would've spoken later of what happened, except maybe to convince Frodo of the power of the Ring. In which case I don't think Frodo would've felt the need to tell Sam about it, certainly not down to the very exact words. Still, you never know :D.

sassyfriend 09-29-2011 07:58 PM

Gollum