The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Entwives are in the Shire (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=908)

Agarwaen 01-11-2003 05:56 PM

The Entwives are in the Shire

My best friend and I have decided that the Entwives are almost definitely in the Shire (My bet is on the Old Forest; Tom Bombadil talks about it being incredibly ancient, perhaps even comparable to Fangorn). For one, when Treebeard describes the sort of country the Entwives loved (and thus, left Fangorn to seek), Merry and Pippin comment on how much that sounds like the Shire. Also, there's a passage in The Fellowship where Sam is in a bar having a conversation with some other hobbits:
Quote:

"All right," said Sam, laughing with the rest. "But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back."...
"But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking -- walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch."
"Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not."
"But this one was walking I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors."

Manwe Sulimo 01-11-2003 07:39 PM

Could be...what with Old Man Willow and all the Huornlike trees in the Forest....

However, my bet is that the Entwives were in Lindon. In the First Age, the Ents were definetly in Ossiriand, just west of Ered Luin. My guess is that the Ents and Entwives were seperated when Beleriand sunk, and the Entwives returned to the forests at the western base of the Blue Mountains. My second guesses would be, like you, the Shire, or perhaps Eryn Vorn.

doug*platypus 01-11-2003 09:47 PM

You have a very good point!
Quote:

"But there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors!"

"Then he can't have seen one!"
I love that conversation. I subscribe to the genocide theory myself, and that that awful man Sauron wiped them all out, maybe sometime in the Second Age. I don't know why the Woodelves wouldn't have helped them out in that case, though.

Beware Estelyn's telescope icon. It's out there somewhere, lurking and looking for its next victim!

Balin999 01-13-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

My best friend and I have decided that the Entwives are almost definitely in the Shire (My bet is on the Old Forest; Tom Bombadil talks about it being incredibly ancient, perhaps even comparable to Fangorn). For one, when Treebeard describes the sort of country the Entwives loved (and thus, left Fangorn to seek), Merry and Pippin comment on how much that sounds like the Shire. Also, there's a passage in The Fellowship where Sam is in a bar having a conversation with some other hobbits
You forget that Treebeard says that the Entwives were different from the Ents and that they didn't look like them, they were smaller and had rosy cheeks or sth like that. And that they were a lot smaller.
They loved gardening and stuff like that, so they could'nt look like a tree. So, the walking elm in the Shire could not have been an Entwife.
Personally, I, too, think that the Entwives are in the Shire, but I fear they are dead by the Third Age.

lore_master 01-13-2003 12:06 PM

well, in a letter tolkein wrote, he said that the entwives were NOT living in the shire at the time of the fellowship. he said that he did not mean to have anything to do with entwives and that when hge was writing the chapters in the begging he did not know that he was going to include ents at all.

maiden of the Shire 01-13-2003 07:18 PM

I agree with Lore Master, in fact Tolkien didn't conceive of Ents, he said they just sort of appeared in the Two Towers(take that however you like), therefore he could not have been thinking about them while writing the Fellowship. Still, my friend and I thought for a while that the entwives were in the Shire as well...maybe in his subconscious Tolkien was writing about entwives, he just didn't know it... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Inderjit Sanghera 01-14-2003 04:47 AM

Yea, in the 'Retrun of the Shadow' , Treebeard is vaguely mentioned, as being the capturer of Gandalf. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]