The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The rest of Europe! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4550)

Manardariel 02-20-2003 12:57 PM

The rest of Europe!

We have Britain. We have Canada. We have every part of the US. But is there a slight possibilty there´s people from the rest of Europe??

I´ll just start then. Me be from Germany. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]

Estelyn Telcontar 02-20-2003 04:08 PM

I live in Germany too, though I am not by citizenship a German. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Maikadilwen 02-20-2003 04:16 PM

Mordor's backyard, meaning Denmark. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Eärendil 02-21-2003 02:55 AM

The Land of the Vikings, Sweden! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Balin999 02-26-2003 07:15 AM

The Land of Hermann Maier, Vienna Sausage, and a f***ed up government: Austria!

Vardamar 03-01-2003 10:28 AM

Hmm.. where on ME does it rain all the time, and is mostly under sea level???
I come from Holland of course [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

It might rain, but we have tulips, windmills, and Topless Beaches [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] something which you really appreciate after living in the United States for a time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I am of course speaking of the beautiful dunes [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Vardamar ]

Gayahithwen 03-01-2003 11:55 AM

Hhmm.. Mirkwood. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] At least my country used to be known for it's great woods and stuff.. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] It's Sweden... though these days.. let me see.. Sweden is known for blondes, meatballs and volvo-cars, eh? Also, to spread some useless information.. it's the 4th largest country in Europe. Area, that is..

Manardariel 03-01-2003 05:45 PM

You know, when I hear Sweden, I think Pippi Longstocking and Bullerbü... yeah, but that´s just me and my ignorant mind [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ....

Gayahithwen 03-02-2003 08:00 AM

Oh, yeah. Astrid Lindgren too, I suppose.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Too bad she died recently.. although she was old, she's still missed.. and I've re-read all the books by her we've got at home since she died, and.. yeah. When I was a kid, I wanted to be exactly as Pippi Longstockings. She was so cool. Later on, I found other role models to look up to..

But, yeah. Ok. Sweden is known for woods, volvo-cars, meatballs, blondes and Pippi Longstockings. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Hm. I don't really live close to any forest, our car is a citroën, I haven't eaten meatballs in ages, have dark brown hair... but I have read Pippi Longstockings countless of times! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] So, uhm. What does that make me?

Also - it's "Bullerbyn" in swedish. Just had to add that. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lyra Greenleaf 03-02-2003 01:30 PM

Grüss Gott, Balin.
I am actually English, but my dad is from Austria. By the way, whats wrong with your government?

Annunfuiniel 03-02-2003 01:47 PM

Somewhere in the northern borders of Arda - Finland! Three words for you: Sisu, Sauna & Sibelius...plus a lot of Snow at the moment.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] So dark and so boooooring - can't wait for the summer and the sun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lady_Báin 03-04-2003 08:27 AM

AH HA!!!!!!!!! i claim all rights to living in mordor as well as the land of vikings [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]!!!! I am from iceland (WOOHOO) the actual middle earth, though it's not near as nice. My school has all sorts of middle earth names and such. The cafeteria is called middle earth and the basement is called the glittering caves. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] hmmm i wonder if iam the only icelander hmmmmmmmm.

pæling

við erum city

Malva Headstrong 03-12-2003 10:56 AM

@Lyra Greenleaf: Maybe they allow only the new LotR translation [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (made by Wolli in the club room, isn´t it, boss?)

Seems like I`m the third German in the pack [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Schmendrick 03-12-2003 11:16 AM

Another vote for Finland! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Hauska tavata, Annunfuiniel!

HerenIstarion 03-13-2003 05:36 AM

Quote:

f***ed up government
you should try living under ours. You'll appreciate Einstein's participation in the development of world science immediately, I surmise [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Man living under Eduard Shevardnadze and the rest of the gang in Georgia spake...

vanwalossien 03-14-2003 04:22 AM

Another mad viking here. I'm from Norway, and there's not really anything I can do about it...

Annunfuiniel 03-14-2003 10:08 AM

Hei Schmendrick! Hauska tosiaan törmätä toiseen suomalaiseen, taidetaan olla täällä aika harvinaisia. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Guinevere 03-14-2003 02:40 PM

Hello Manardariel and Malva !

I am another German-speaking member, but I come from Zürich, Switzerland. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

@ Malva: Who did you mean with "Wolli"? Is that Wolfgang Krege [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ??

By the way, I opened a thread on Tolkien translations in other languages (compared with the original) some time ago. I would appreciate the opinion of you other non-English-speaking Europeans there very much.

You can find it here <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002815null" TARGET=_blank>http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002815null </A>

It's the first time I try to give a link. I'm a bit confused...Anyhow, if you click on the second "null" it seems to work...
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

Manardariel 03-14-2003 04:44 PM

All of you who have acces to german TV: If you like Viggo, he´on TV this Sunday, as Sandra Bullok´s threapist in "28 days", 8.15 on Sat1. Enjoy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Estelyn Telcontar 03-14-2003 10:07 PM

Ummmm, Viggo's not the therapist, he's a fellow patient - the blond baseball player!

Manardariel 03-15-2003 03:01 AM

Oooops. I haven´t seen the movie, you see, and all I saw in the trailer looked like he was a threapist or something. Thanks, though!

Malva Headstrong 03-15-2003 08:06 AM

Guinivere: Right, that Wolli. You know him, eh? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I´ve a link to a good satire about him (German): Sprachgefühl

I hope, that I can watch that movie. Missed already "Forever young" [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Malva Headstrong ]

Guinevere 03-15-2003 03:20 PM

Thank you, Malva. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That was funny!

akhtene 03-15-2003 07:43 PM

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] May I join your warm company?
Living in Russia (St.Petersburg, neighbouring to Finland) or Dead Marshes – by the look and ‘feel’ of the ground at present…

Balin999 03-25-2003 03:21 PM

Lyra Greenleaf, the problem with our government is that it has more or less been re-elected for the second time and well, in my opinion the wrong parties have built a coalition.
But as it seems they won't be forming a government for a long time.
But apart from our government I really like living in Austria. Anyways I'm planning to spend a year or so in another european country.
Your father is from Austria? Where from?

Lady_Báin, what is it like living in Iceland? I always wanted to visit that country, and I really really hope that I'll get a chance to. Though I always associated it with Midgard, not with Middle Earth.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Balin999 ]

Walter 04-01-2003 02:55 AM

Greetings from Morrrdorrr...Austria that is... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Holfast Willow from Greenfields 04-01-2003 03:30 AM

The land of True Vikings (Fear me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) Norway!

tifo_gcs 04-01-2003 03:41 AM

Maikadilwen, seems like we have something in common. I'm from Denmark too, and also a fan of celtic music.

vanwalossien 04-01-2003 07:30 AM

Hehey, another Norwegian! Heisann Holfast! I think we're getting close to half a dozen now... Or, well, we're at least halfway there...

Balin999 04-01-2003 10:48 AM

Quote:

Greetings from Morrrdorrr...Austria that is...
Wow, finally someone from Austria.
Hiya Walter! I'm from Carinthia, where are you from and how did you get to this forum?

Lyra Greenleaf 04-28-2003 06:45 AM

Quote:

Your father is from Austria? Where from?
My dad was born in Carinthia! Klaagenfurt, to be precise, though he lived in Vienna. I still have family in both places, and my Grandma wants to go back.

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]

Melephelwen 04-28-2003 06:59 AM

And yet another Dane... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] (<- or not so [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] ...)

Lyra Greenleaf 05-10-2003 05:19 AM

*BUMP*
Any more replies?

Lady_Báin 05-15-2003 06:39 AM

It's great living iceland, but you get really stir crazy if you don't leave at least once a year.
And in my opinion (and many a scholars), miðgarð and middle earth are very similar. The words "middle earth" are translated s "miðgarð" in lotr. And i don't want to sound like i'm braging or anything but i do think that Tolkien was greatly influenced by Miðgarð and all that. At least in The Hobbit.

I think you'll understand the similartity (in my opinion) between Iceland and middle earth when you visit.

p.s. make sure you come in the summer!!

vanwalossien 05-15-2003 09:17 AM

Lady_Báin: I think I read somewhere in The Letters that JRRT thought it was nice that The Hobbit was being translated to Icelandic, as it was a language that fitted The Hobbit very good. Hmm, well, Icelandic is almost like Norwegian. Almost...
EDIT: I'll most definetly come in summer. I suppose winter in Iceland is like it is in Norway, just a little wetter, and I've got by far enough with the Norwegian winters. The last one lasted for six long months.

[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]

Balin999 05-17-2003 02:28 AM

Lyra_Greenleaf, I actually live in Carinthia, in a town called Villach, approximately 30km west of Klagenfurt, and Klagenfurt's the place where my University is located.
To be honest, I never liked the city itself, though. (there's a rivalry between Villach and Klagenfurt)

and Lady_Bain I would really like to visit Iceland, and I'm sure that I WILL do it at least in the next 20 years [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But since I started to read about Northern mythology and Midgard and all that stuff I wanted to visit Iceland, because, well, for me it's the place where the ancient gods are (call me silly, but that's what I'm thinking)

Helkahothion 06-22-2003 04:58 AM

I'm a dutchman. Some might know Lathspell, he is from Holland too. So that is three Dutchies. Viking's look out, we people originally spawned from Germania a.k.a. modern Germany will come for the throne:P

It really sucks living in Holland you know. The government is like Balin's: Wrong people in the wrong places at the wrong time. I don't like em anyway. It's such a pity they shot Pim Fortuin. Ahw well, het leven is een trut en dan ga je dood.

Suilad,

Anuion

Meela 06-22-2003 08:36 AM

I was born in Italy and spent a few months of my baby life in Denmark and possibly Estonia. I speak none of the languages, though, nor do I know the cultures. My parents travelled to just about everywhere in their lives, although I have not travelled nearly as much. I believe it was mainly when I was quite young.

Menelhachwen 06-26-2003 05:43 AM

Haven't yet seen anybody from the south of Europe... I'm joining the BD from the south-east coast of Spain, a city called Alicante... It's hot as hell these days (almost 35º C and it's only June!), so I guess we can re-name it as Mount Doom!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Meela 06-26-2003 02:20 PM

I have Greek relatives. I believe they live by the coast. Its rather like Dol Amroth.