The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Barrow-Benefactors (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4668)

The Barrow-Wight 05-17-2003 01:15 PM

Barrow-Benefactors

Barrow-Benefactors

We would like to thank all of those members and visitors who have donated to The Barrow-Downs. Their generosity is what keeps the site and the forum alive for all of us to enjoy. In recognition of those who have given, we have created the list below. The number in parenthesis after each name is the number of months that person has donated. The different levels are explained further down the topic.

IMMORTALS OF AMAN
Saucepan Man (8)(Sep 04)
Finwe(6)(Apr 04)
piosenniel (7)(Dec 03)

FAITHFUL OF NUMENOR
Laughing Eagle (8)(Apr 04)

CITIZENS OF WESTERNESSE
Faenaduial (6)(Dec 03)

COMMANDERS OF ARNOR

REGENTS OF ARNOR

STEWARDS OF ARNOR
Hilde Bracegirdle (6)(Feb 05)
Alquadae (4)(Sep 04)

MASTERS OF CARDOLAN
Heren-Istarion (3)(Aug 04)
Guinevere (2)(Jun 04)

CHAMPIONS OF CARDOLAN
Squatter of Amon Rūdh (2)(Aug 03)

PROTECTORS OF CARDOLAN
Ealasaide (2)(Sep 04)
lestat (2)(Apr 04)
Eruanna (2)(Jan 04)
lindil (2)(Oct 03)
ophia the Thunder Mistress (4)(Aug 03)
Estelyn (3)(Aug 03)
The X Phial (2)(Jun 03)

PATRONS OF CARDOLAN
The Perky Ent (2)(Sep 04)
Fordim Hedgethistle (1)(Sep 04)
Carrun (1)(Jan 04)
Rimbaud (1)(Sep 03)
Robert Patterson (1)(Sep 03)
Liriodendron (1)(May 03)
Kim Benson (1)(May 03)
Pukel Man (1)(May 03)
Andy Rice (1)(May 03)
Alatįriėl (1)(May 03)
Alkanoonion (1)(May 03)
Phrim (1)(May 03)
Burrahobbit (1)(May 03)

Donators can reach ten levels of excellence. A score is calculated for each person who has given. That score is the total amount given multiplied by the number of months that person has donated (months need not be consecutive). The system is designed to recognize continued support, so you must not donate a lot at one time to score highly.

Barrow-Benefactor Levels
10 - Immortals of Aman (2618 +)
9 - The Faithful of Numenor (2095 - 2617)
8 - Citizens of Westernesse (1629 - 2094)
7 - Commanders of Arnor (1222 - 1628)
6 - Regents of Arnor (873 - 1221)
5 - Stewards of Arnor (582 - 872)
4 - Masters of Cardolan (349 - 581)
3 - Champions of Cardolan (175 - 348)
2 - Protectors of Cardolan (58 - 174)
1 - Patrons of Cardolan (0 - 57)

For example, someone who gave $50 once will get 50 points, but a person who has given $10 a month during 3 different months would get $30 multipled by 3 months, for a total of 90 points.

If you would like to make a donation to The Downs, please read why The Downs needs your support. Directions for helping us out are towards the bottom of the topic.

Thank you!
The Barrow-Downs Team

Niluial 05-17-2003 01:35 PM

Brilliant idea Mr Barrow-wight! I am still waiting to get my site up and going, it might take a while. And I want to buy a shirt or a mug but where?
Kind Regards
Niluial [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]

The Saucepan Man 05-17-2003 09:43 PM

Wish I'd known about the scoring system before I made my donation ... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Niluial 05-18-2003 01:16 AM

The Barrow-Wight: I am only confused about one thing! When the whole scoring thing happens, where will the scores be shown? (I hope that makes sense [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

Quote:

Wish I'd known about the scoring system before I made my donation ...
You should have guessed that The Barrow-Weight would come up with some amazing idea [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!!

eleanor_niphredil 05-18-2003 05:23 AM

One question. The bottom score says 0. I donated 0, so why am I not there?

Just thought I'd add my thoughts...

The Barrow-Wight 05-18-2003 08:48 AM

I hope that was a joke, elanor. Otherwise, I'm really worried about you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Do I really have to change that zero to a number so as to not confuse people!? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

To answer another question, scores will not be shown. Just the Levels.

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

eleanor_niphredil 05-18-2003 12:23 PM

I get easily confused! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll have to save up, search in the sofa for spare change!

Hilde Bracegirdle 05-18-2003 12:38 PM

Quote:

The system is designed to recognize continued support, so you must not donate a lot at one time to score highly.
Does this mean you would rather have monthly donations rather than a larger lump sum? Also, If we don't want the points can we opt out of it but still contribute? What would a good monthly amount be? I have no idea what your expenses are....

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]

Niluial 05-18-2003 12:42 PM

Quote:

To answer another question, scores will not be shown. Just the Levels.
Ok thank you!

The Barrow-Wight 05-18-2003 01:41 PM

Quote:

Does this mean you would rather have monthly donations rather than a larger lump sum?
Either way is great, but we'll have bills next month and the month after that, so a regular source of income (and regular donations) might be better in the long run.

The point system is not something you can opt out of, nor is it something that people should focus on. Its just a way to recognize everyone's contibution in a way that shows how each has effected the site. Its not a competition, so those at the 'lower' level are no less important than those above. We are grateful for every dollar.

VanimaEdhel 05-18-2003 05:08 PM

The forced exhalation of breath was just my exhasperation at being nearly sixteen and not having a good sum of money to contribute, and a father that won't let her contribute what little she has. You guys have to keep donating until I'm old enough to give money to whatever sites I want.

I do have a question, though: could you explain exactly how the points system works, as I am very curious, or would it just make us dizzy to think about it? Because there are people with (1) in both categories, and I don't know what you mean where you have the (1) next to the screennames. Yes, I read that the points system isn't important, but I think that it would be interesting to know how you are doing it.

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]

Carlas 05-18-2003 05:44 PM

Quote:

The number in parenthesis after each name is the number of months that person has donated.
Quote:

That score is the total amount given multiplied by the number of months that person has donated (months must not be consecutive).

Liriodendron 05-27-2003 07:07 AM

I am lazy and will make one donation, score, shmore! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Save it for a rainy day! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The Barrow-Wight 06-07-2003 08:56 AM

We have our first Champion of Cardolan!!

Niluial 06-07-2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

We have our first Champion of Cardolan!!
Who?

Hilde Bracegirdle 06-07-2003 12:31 PM

The first Champion appears to be Pio! Thank you from a grateful Hobbit, Piosenniel!

Quote:

That score is the total amount given multiplied by the number of months that person has donated (months must not be consecutive).
The months must not be consecutive? I'm afraid I don't understand why this wouldn't be good. Could you expand on it a little futher?

The Barrow-Wight 06-07-2003 12:55 PM

The list of all donators is on the first post of this topic.

Months must not be consecutive means that one must not donate in two consecutive months to get credit for having donated two months. Donating in May and June will give a donator the same multiplier as donating in May and November. The whole idea is to get repeat donations. We appreciate every little bit we get whenever people can get it to us.

Thanks!

The Barrow-Wight 06-09-2003 12:45 PM

A little clarification.

Previous wording seemed to confuse some folks so I have changed:

"That score is the total amount given multiplied by the number of months that person has donated (months must not be consecutive)."

to

That score is the total amount given multiplied by the number of months that person has donated (months <font color'White">NEED NOT be consecutive).

Apparently some people thought the 'must not' was a plea for people not to donate on two consecutive months when in fact we would prefer consecutive donations so we always have a steady stream of donations.

Thanks

The Barrow-Wight 06-12-2003 09:22 AM

piosenniel has moved up to MASTER OF CARDOLAN. Thanks for the continued support!

Guinevere 06-15-2003 05:01 PM

I am glad to see that my donation has safely arrived.
But your scoring system is a bit unfair to those who send money from abroad! For me it's better to send a larger sum once a year than smaller sums every other month or so, because the "Postüberweisung" costs nearly 10$ every time, independent of the sum sent!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

The Barrow-Wight 06-15-2003 05:51 PM

Thanks very much for the generous donation, Guinevere. I tried to send a PM but your PM box was full.

The point system is a simple way of acknowledging the money people send to the support of the Downs. It was designed to be very easy to maintain with very few calculations. Though I don't plan to adjust the point system, perhaps we could annotate on the list where people are from.

If anyone on the Barrow-Benefactors list would like to list your country or state of origin, just drop me a line. I could do little country flag emblems. It won't get you higher on the list, but it will look cool!

Thanks to everyone!

The Barrow-Wight 06-21-2003 02:09 PM

Laughing Eagle has become out second Master of Cardolan. Thanks to Laughing Eagle and everyone else who has donated!!

Did no one have thought on the idea about little flags?

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 06-22-2003 01:23 AM

I think little flags sound fun, BW. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sophia

Gwaihir the Windlord 06-22-2003 01:32 AM

Lol, interesting way to wheedle money out of people. Maybe you'll be able to abolish the mug/tshirt trade this way? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] How much money does this site need to keep running, exactly

The Barrow-Wight 06-22-2003 07:48 AM

If anyone feels wheedled, I expect they won't donate anything. Fortunately, there are people who see value in our site and forum, and they have generously helped keep us going.

Gwaihir the Windlord 06-24-2003 02:47 AM

Of course.

The Barrow-Wight 07-12-2003 04:37 PM

Donations are still coming in, and we greatly appreaciat them.

We have our first STEWARD OF ARNOR: piosenniel

Many thanks to our newest Barrow Benefactor: Faenaduial

The Barrow-Wight 07-15-2003 05:11 PM

We got a couple more donations today and something quite unexpected, a Palantir!

Many thanks to Alquadae for sending a lovely 'Water Colors' light and sound scultpure machine. I will now sit by computer in the dark with the colored light show and the soothing sounds of running water. Also, I can use it to comunicate to distant places.

http://www.barrowdowns.com/palantir.jpg

Alquadae was nice enough to clarify the 6 sounds the machine makes (in italics):

1) Ocean Waves of Alqualonde
2) Jungle "Away South"
3) Starry Night (with crickets and cicads) of Lorien
4) Light Rain Wellinghall
5) Mountain Meadow of Rohan
6) Babbling Brook/Stream Nimrodell

Thank you very much, Alquadae! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Barrow-Wight 07-27-2003 09:17 PM

Saucepan Man has moved up to "Champion of Cardolan".

Thanks!!!

The Barrow-Wight 08-29-2003 07:45 AM

I'd like to thank our most resent donators:

Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Alquadae
Laughing Eagle
piosenniel
Faenaduial
Saucepan Man
Estelyn

Sorry it took so long to recognize your contributions. I was on vacation [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

The Barrow-Wight 09-07-2003 10:23 AM

<font color="white">We've had two promotions!
Faenaduial is now a CHAMPION OF CARDOLAN
Hilde Bracegirdle is now a PROTECTOR OF CARDOLAN

Thanks for your continued support!

The Barrow-Wight 09-10-2003 06:54 PM

Many thanks to Heren-Istarion, who just became a Protector of Cardolan [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] H-I has also contributed poetry for the ARTICLES page and many, many deep posts throughout the forum.

The Barrow-Wight 09-13-2003 01:32 PM

We have two new Patrons:

Rimbaud
Robert Patterson

Thanks guys!

The Barrow-Wight 09-13-2003 06:46 PM

piosenniel, along with co-running The Shire in a superb way, has also soared to the rank of CITIZEN OF WESTERNESSE!

I thank you, and everyone else should to. May Eru grant you the long life of the fair Isle.

HerenIstarion 09-26-2003 06:32 AM

Thank you for your kind words, BW, and for the job you and the team are doing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] natural for us to wish to land you a hand a bit. But do you really 'resent' people donating [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (hint, hint - look at your post up there, sometime by the end of August)

Ok, kidding. Pio, impressive [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

piosenniel 09-26-2003 06:19 PM

I like the Downs venue . . . and I happen to be one of the fortunately employed . . .

Nśmenor - one of my favorite places to visit!

The Barrow-Wight 09-28-2003 06:13 PM

Laughing Eagle and Saucepan Man have moved up in the ranks, and Finwe enters the board as a Protector of Cardolan.

Thanks everyone!

The Barrow-Wight 10-09-2003 05:47 PM

Finwe and Faenaduial have both moved up a level! Thank you very much!!!!!

The Barrow-Wight 10-21-2003 06:53 PM

The Saucepan Man rises to the fantastic Steward of Arnor level. Many praises!

The Saucepan Man 10-21-2003 08:48 PM

Heck, I don't care about the Downs. I'm just trying to keep up with the Joneses (aka piosenniel and Laughing Eagle). [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]