The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A Memorial of Members (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4648)

Samwise 04-11-2003 09:08 PM

Quote:

Samwise, wouldn't it be Miss Frodo?
Technically, yes, but th' two of us like gettin' into character. You should see some of our e-mails.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Beren87 04-15-2003 08:06 PM

Quote:

before he was banned, but for what I am not sure
I think it was for his general annoyingness and possibly something to do with the infamous Monkey Club.

Ithaeliel 04-15-2003 08:08 PM

Ohhh, yes, the Monkey Club. I never understood that, and I'm kind of glad I didn't join it when offered... for the sake of my rep... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] But Gimli is still missed.

Lush 04-15-2003 09:19 PM

Your rep is quite dirty anyway, Ithaeliel, do not kid yourself, o scarlet woman of the Downs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I wish Maril would post more often myself.

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-16-2003 01:19 PM

What is the Monkey Club?

Amanaduial the archer 04-20-2003 02:12 PM

Gimli was rude to a few too many people, and made one or two rather insensitive comments. He just said something wrong one time too many. Its a shame really- he was the only downer at the time that I knew of who was even remotely close to my own age, that I knew of.

Orual 04-24-2003 08:28 PM

I don't know if anybody's mentioned Eruantalon, but I miss him. Rie will never forget Erulon singing to her at the Green Dragon.

~*~Orual~*~

Ithaeliel 04-24-2003 08:53 PM

Quote:

Your rep is quite dirty anyway, Ithaeliel, do not kid yourself, o scarlet woman of the Downs.
[img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] You've found me out? But... how? I hid it so well until now! What, have you got x-ray vision on you? Have at thee and thy strange abilites! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] *tries to reach up and get Lush, but is too diminutive*

I miss Green Ringwraith and Elenna. Brilliant roleplayers, those two.

[ April 24, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]

Alkanoonion 04-28-2003 09:52 PM

I miss me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I almost always run out of time from looking at all the Tolkien sites that I only have time nowadays to read the topics here and I don’t get the chance to post like I once did. I blame the increased top quality Tolkien sites that are now available.

Amanaduial the archer 05-02-2003 03:34 PM

Quote:

I almost always run out of time from looking at all the Tolkien sites
Ditto that, Tha- sorry, Alk, ditto that...

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-02-2003 03:46 PM

...monkey club?

~Menelien

Gilthalion 05-05-2003 09:49 AM

A lot has happened since my last post!

My job as a laboratory technician fell away with the Japanese consumption of South Farthing hard wood chips for the making of their paper. (They now import eucalyptus, but that's their problem...)

While looking for other work, I took a part time position as Administrator at my church. (For what it was worth, this actually cost me money since it paid rather little, but they needed the help.)

One week later, the pastor and the youth leader announced they were leaving the church and their spouses for each other.

This devastated the entire congregation, as you might well imagine. Long story short, I was ordained and asked to be the Interim Pastor.

So its been busy, busy, busy!

Later...

Amanaduial the archer 05-05-2003 12:10 PM

Gilthalion! Welcome back! And also, congratulations on being ordained!

HerenIstarion 05-05-2003 05:19 PM

hola, Gilthalion. Nice to see you. And nice to see you Alk, too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

DaughterofVana 05-05-2003 09:41 PM

I miss Ravandah. But since he only posted in the Language forum I doubt if he stuck around after its demise. He would have made a great Mod for it, if it would have went that way. He could have translated the Declaration of Independence into Sindarin AND Quenya while balancing on one foot.

*sigh* Meeeemmmoories...

-'Vana

Lalaith 04-25-2004 12:00 PM

Digging up a thread for someone today reminded me that Lyra Greenleaf hasn't been seen awhile. And while I'm at it, whatever happened to Morwen Tindomerel...she was one of the most thoughtful posters on the Downs, IMO.

Ithaeliel 04-25-2004 08:28 PM

Return of the... Unicorn Lady?

Why, hello everyone! Yes, I'm actually posting after not having posted in... what... half a year? I've been thinking about all my BD pals and decided to pay a visit. A lot of things have changed; the forum has gotten a completely new look and it's moved. There are a few new members here that I don't recognize, but still many I do remember :). I hope the roleplaying these days is as high-quality as it was when I frequented the Downs. Bethberry, dearest, your moderating is impeccable. Does Brinniel still come often, or Amanaduial the Archer? I'll drop by the roleplaying forums to see how things are faring.

What's going on with me? Well, goodness, let's see... my high school's music department (whose orchestra I play violin in) just got back from a competition in Santa Clara, CA. We did extremely well: aside from our choral department sweeping all their divisions, the chamber orchestra was invited to collaborate next year with-- yes-- the Boston Pops Symphony. We also were awarded Best Music Department. I'm so proud!
Music has practically taken over my life. I have not a moment of time for going online these days, much less frequenting any sort of board, but I'm still an avid Lord of the Rings fan! And, yeah, my little Legolas shrine is still above my bed... *ducks projectile vegetables from anti-Leggy-boppers*I miss you all and think of you often! Talk to you again soon!

Amore,
Ithaeliel

P.S. I started taking Latin this year. It's the best western language ever!

Lush 04-25-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

And, yeah, my little Legolas shrine is still above my bed...
And you're still a scarlet woman... :D

HerenIstarion 04-26-2004 01:02 AM

Ave, Ithaeliel! Morituri te salutant!

Hola, Ithaeliel, nice to see you back :)

The Saucepan Man 04-26-2004 06:19 AM

In memory of the recently undeceased?

Just so I can get this straight, are we mourning those who have passed back into the world of the living here? :D

Hello Ithaeliel. Good to see you back. :)

I must say that this is a rather interesting thread to read (or should I say re-read), although many of those mourned were members long before I joined. I suppose there will always be a natural flow of members drifting in and out. There are many who have posted on this thread in the past who haven't been around for a while. Birdland and Maril spring to mind in particular.

Still, having mourned doug*platypus's absence about a year ago, I am pleased to see that he has returned and is now posting again.

Lindolirian 04-26-2004 08:13 AM

Some of my favorite quizzers were Elrian, Gilthalion, and Telchar, even though he was here in January. I haven't seen Bruce MacCulloch or Mat Heathertoes/Russandol for a while either. :( Zifnab was a good chap, too. We have some swell new quizzers though. I like 'em at least! :D

Ithaeliel 04-26-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

And you're still a scarlet woman...
Lush, you needn't excuse yourself :p Good to see you!

Birdland and Maril, both gone? It's a sad day! It's nice to see you, though, Saucepan Man. Salve, HerenIstarion! Vide te quoque laeta sum!

Mithadan 04-26-2004 05:14 PM

Hi, Ith.Bird and Maril are rather busy with real life but do stop by now and again. You asked about Amanaduial. You'll find that she is helping Piosenniel and Child run The Shire. :eek:

HerenIstarion 04-27-2004 01:04 PM

Bill Ferny

According to member list, he was last seen on January 1, 1970, Presumably, as all others have their last visits on the same day or this very spring, it means he was here at best prior to vB update this last February. Pity.

mark12_30 04-27-2004 01:38 PM

According to his profile, Gandalf_theGrey's last post was 05-17-2003. I miss him deeply. I have only one burger-king-goblet and it's the Gandalf one-- and I think of GtG every time I drink out of it, or wash it, or put it away. We squared off more than once in fisticuffs which saddens me now. I pray he is blessed and graced wherever he is.

Orofaniel 04-28-2004 07:46 AM

A memorial of members? Now that's interesting...

There are a few people I miss. I don't know what happened to Elven Maiden Earwen :( Where did she go?

And where is the great O mighty Rper Annunfuniel? Haven't seen her in a while...I've also noticed that Manardariel hasn't been on lately. They were great RPers...mhm... :)

Gorwingel 04-28-2004 09:04 PM

Oh, I remember him...

Oh, I miss Gandalf_theGrey too :(
He wrote such wonderful visual filled posts, and I will remember him for those. I had forgotten though that he had not been here for quite awhile. I hope though that he does someday come back to the downs. That would be wonderful.

I do though get sad when people leave and never come back. I have never liked it. But then I do know that in the life of a forum, these types of occurances are commonplace. But they still are sad. Especially because I tend to be quite the quiet type, so I never really know why, or if there is an actual reason of why they left. I do know that most of the time they leave with no warning. With most just dissapearing into the vastness of the internet.

HerenIstarion 04-28-2004 11:41 PM

Voronwe

That one too haven't been seen for almost an year, his last post dating back as far as August, 2003. Pity again :(

Son of Númenor 05-05-2004 06:56 PM

Fallen Comrades

This thread is so depressing...

I say: three cheers for all the great posters who have left indefinitely, but three equally grand cheers for all the great contributors who are still around posting away! I have only officially been a member of this site for a few hours, but I have been coming here and loving the experience for more than a year.

Here is my slim contribution to the ongoing lament:

Where in the heck is Gwaihir the Windlord??

Amanaduial the archer 05-06-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Does Brinniel still come often, or Amanaduial the Archer?
*Raises hand* Erm...present? ;) Thanks though, Ithaeliel - I'm not sure whether to feel complimented or overlooked! ;)

I agree though with the mention of Brinniel: I haven't really seen her around that much since December-ish, when the idea of the game she and I were planning finally kind of...fell apart.

I also miss Elenna. *shrugs* I know that's been a really long time, but still.

Beren87 05-17-2004 12:06 AM

Does Durelin still hang around? I just moved to the town he lives in, if I remember correctly.

Lhunardawen 05-17-2004 02:12 AM

May I barge in?

Beren87 , Durelin is still around.

I quote Son of Numenor , where is Gwaihir the Windlord? I miss the Eagle's extremely long posts. :(

And where in the world is Finwe? The members list says she was last here the previous month...

Ophelia 05-17-2004 10:39 AM

I miss hoppalong ...

Ophelia

Maeggaladiel 05-17-2004 11:33 AM

I'm probably just looking in the wrong places, but I haven't seen Meela, Rhynoa, or Sophia the Thunder Mistress around for quite a while. Where have they gone? And what about purplefluffychainsaw? And skippy the nasgul? Oh, skippy, where art thou?
~Maeg

Beren87 05-17-2004 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maeggaladiel
or Sophia the Thunder Mistress around for quite a while.

She took some time off for school and such, had some computer problems, and now she's in Maine with family. I don't know when (or if) she'll come back at the end of summer.

Imladris 05-18-2004 03:23 PM

I always enjoyed HCIsland's posts and he hasn't been on since 1969, apparently. :p

I especially liked his Calvin avatar...

mark12_30 05-18-2004 03:51 PM

If you click on "Members List" in the menu, you can find their name, go to their profile, and check their most recent posts, hunt them down and join their thread (or PM them.). It's a good way to catch up with old (but not quite lost) friends.

Ithaeliel 05-18-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks though, Ithaeliel - I'm not sure whether to feel complimented or overlooked!
Feel complimented- that was my first post here since last October, and I'd hardly even glanced at any of the forums before I came running to this thread to proclaim my return ;). Glad to see you are here! Brinniel is in my English class; she hasn't talked about the BD for months! I'll have to ask her what's going on; I think she may have become too busy with the dance team. It's pretty likely, the team having competitions and shows and games to perform in and all.

Amanaduial the archer 05-19-2004 11:32 AM

Well, even if she doesn't come back, I wish her luck and happiness with that :) She was an excellent person to plan and game with - Rest In Life, Brinniel *hats off*

Sirithheruwen 05-23-2004 12:08 PM

I have not seen Meela for a while. I also liked guy who be short's posts. I haven't seen him in a while either. Skippy and purplefluffychainsaw are also a couple of people I haven't seen in a while also. But maybe that's just me.