The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Skwerlz (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4492)

LePetitChoux 01-18-2003 06:30 AM

Skwerlz

I know that every time I post a repeat topic, a Skwerl dies, and if I use cht abbrvtn I drive a Skwerl to drink, but what exactly are Skwerlz?

eleanor_niphredil 01-18-2003 07:12 AM

skwerlz= arnt they cute little mouse like things with fluffy tails and an unhealthy obsession with nuts?

Birdland 01-18-2003 07:44 AM

I don't know if this is the root of the "skwerl" craze at the Downs, but if it is, all I can say is that it's a small Cyber-World, after all: Scary Skwerl World

LePetitChoux 01-18-2003 08:51 AM

Fascinating... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

red 01-18-2003 08:53 AM

Birdy hit the nail on the head. Also, there is a certain high ranking skwerl that haunts the Downs from time to time. Beware!!

Aylwen Dreamsong 01-18-2003 09:04 AM

Ooooh. I can't wait until National skwerl week! Those California Ground Skwerls sure look bloated. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Skwerls... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aylwen

Edit: When do you think 'Riding in Cars with Skwerls' will hit theatres?

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

Lush 01-18-2003 10:56 AM

Omigod, you people are all on drugs.

Beren87 01-18-2003 12:21 PM

No, we just use them, its very difficult to get on drugs. Bloody little bags and all, extremely difficult to balance.

Estelyn Telcontar 01-18-2003 04:12 PM

Credit for the skwerl images goes to The Barrow-Wight! Well-done!

dragoneyes 01-18-2003 04:32 PM

I love those little images. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Birdland 01-18-2003 04:56 PM

What? You mean B-W actually has something to do with that site? I ran across it months ago while looking up info on...ahem...squirrels.

If B-W is involved with that Sciuridae-bashing site in any way, then I am seriously spooked.

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]

burrahobbit 01-18-2003 05:14 PM

The estimable Mister Wight is a fanboy.

The Barrow-Wight 01-18-2003 05:50 PM

Not knowing what a fanboy is, I must say that I have no affiliation with Scary Skwerl.org, though they were a source of some skwerl pics I used to make our Skwerl banners.

Ithaeliel 01-18-2003 08:16 PM

I am forced to agree with Lush; you're all nuts (skwerlz- nuts! Get it?! HAHAHA... oh okay, so I'm nuts too). Where did you get the concept that whenever you post a repeat topic or chat abbreviation, a skwerl (whyever you spell it like that) dies/drinks?!

The Barrow-Wight 01-18-2003 10:10 PM

From nature. Skwerlz are really like that!!!

Birdland 01-18-2003 10:53 PM

Oh, really? Well I stood right in front of a skwerl just today and said straight to his face "Balrogs have wings!"

He just gave me a look and continued to chew the insulation off the cable wire. No reaction at all.

Gandalf_theGrey 01-18-2003 11:25 PM

Methinks the real question is, Birdie,

Whether skwerls have wings, or swings? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

This, like the Balrog question, is open for debate. Now myself, I have personally seen Rocky the Flying Skwerl and am willing to attest to same. However, the skwerl sighting was so mind-bogglingly bizarre that to this day not all who witnessed it are willing to come forward, and this incident happened in 1992!

It all started at 1:50 p.m., on a typical workday afternoon. A factory guy came from down on the plant floor upstairs to my office wearing a big, incriminating grin. (But then, they all did that all the time.) "Open the shade," he indicated with a jog of his shoulder.

I looked across at a co-worker, who looked back, stunned as I was by the suggestion. For the windows were so grimy that cleaning them was considered thousands of times worse than the proverbial torture of washing the inside of a barrow chamber with a toothbrush! (Okay, so I exaggerate just a tad here. But I in no wise exaggerate when it comes to the ABSOLUTE FACT that I saw Rocky the Flying Skwerl, as I am about to report (yes, I'm getting to that part and haven't forgotten it!) So instead I intoned in my best deep vampire-voice, "We are creatures of the night."

"Open the shade," he repeated. It was now 1:55 p.m., and some other factory dudes were heading up the stairs making their daily "reet-reet" pig noises (these guys would put the fighting Uruk-Hai to shame, let me tell you). Finally overcome by a wave of unthinking silliness, I opened the shade.

At exactly 2:00 p.m., break time, sun streaming in best it could through the streaky window, a menacing Shadow fell, hovering. Or more aptly, swinging. For there, attached to the end of a fishing pole, hung in all its infamy, a dead Skwerl!

I saw it. My co-worker saw it. The incriminating grin on the company president's face said that he saw it, though he denied it and said we were crazy. But it was there, dangling from the roof of the building.

I only hope Rocky the Flying Skwerl was roadkill. For this particular place of business was so strange, that a bunch of the production guys were known for bringing guns to work along with their lunch pails, and would sit and polish their weapons on their lunch break.

Ithaeliel 01-19-2003 12:06 AM

*After a few more minutes, manages to get up off the floor and breathe normally* Oh dear, Gandalf; if that is not the funniest thing I've ever heard... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Susan Delgado 01-19-2003 04:32 PM

Seems to me a better question than "What are skwerlz?" would be "Why should skwerlz be affected by our posting habits here?"

Belin 01-19-2003 07:23 PM

They're just more sensitive than the rest of us that read the forum.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]

burrahobbit 01-19-2003 09:27 PM

FANBOY.

mark12_30 01-19-2003 10:42 PM

"Hey, Rock! Watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat!"

"But that trick NEVER works!"

"This time fer sure. Presto!" Reaches into hat:

"ooooOOOOOOOOYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

(crams the misty green thing back into hat)

Rocky scolds: "How did the BARROW WIGHT get into your hat???"

"Uh-- was it a Sqwerl-Wight?"

"FANBOY!"

Lush 01-20-2003 01:11 AM

You have all been smoking massive quantities of seriously bad weed. Barrow-Wight included. For shame!

Susan Delgado 01-20-2003 03:10 AM

Are you sick, Lush? Are you all right? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Ithaeliel 01-20-2003 10:11 AM

And Mr. Wight is a fanboy how...? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

burrahobbit 01-20-2003 12:10 PM

Tell me, Ithaeliel, how isn't he?

LePetitChoux 01-20-2003 01:07 PM

My homage to Skwerlz: A new avatar:
http://www.scarysquirrel.org/cletrpt3.gif
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Susan Delgado 01-20-2003 02:35 PM

ahh, poor Cletus [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

HerenIstarion 12-06-2004 06:17 AM

It's so completely cute and so comletely absurd, it deserves bringing up. Comic relief of sorts :)

Lhunardawen 12-21-2004 04:06 AM

I still don't understand why it has to be skwerlz instead of hamzters or opozzums or whatever. And this is a forum that upholds correct spelling, so why spell it that way? It looks (not to mention sounds) much kewler, though.

HerenIstarion 12-21-2004 05:09 AM

Quote:

this is a forum that upholds correct spelling, so why spell it that way?
Comic relief of sorts, as I've said. So to say, rightful place to mispell (on [humorous] purpose).

Why squirrels and not hamsters? I can't help remembering the movie the name of which I forgot, but the storyline was based on that of Crazy Crazy Crazy World (or was it Mad Mad Mad World?) - the chase after hidden treasure. Woopy Goldberg's heroine and heroine's daughter refuse to buy a squirrel off some roadside merchant woman, who, in return, maliciously directs them to some bag end instead of highway. As they fall down the slope in their car, they pass by little info boards reading: You! Should! Have! Bought! A Squirrel!

Whether that has anything to do with skwrlz of current thread, I do not know, just a memory :)

As for mispelling as comic relief, see also post #59 of the SP(?) Phantom Menace thread

PS Now as I've posted the link, I see that it was you actually to post the following, #60, there :D. Let the link stand as it is, though

cheers

HerenIstarion 12-23-2004 10:57 AM

In relation to initial post, see also this particular post #6 (Barrow Downs Products (by Lalwendė). Skwrl banners, all together, thanks, Esty

cheers :)