The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Show me fear! (the emotion game) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10781)

Evisse the Blue 06-06-2004 06:19 AM

Show me fear! (the emotion game)

The idea is simple: You have to find a situation where a character feels/displays a certain emotion / disposition. The emotion doesn't have to be explicitly mentioned (ex: Gandalf was angry at Pippin), it can also be implied by the context: (ex: by yelling 'Fool of a Took', that would mean he's angry). Alright - that clarification was perhaps obvious, most feelings and emotions are inferred from contexts, not spelled out.
Another obvious rule is that there are many possible replies to each request, so whoever gets to find a situation first and get it confirmed by the one who requested it, can post a new one.

Example: Find me a situation when someone feels overwhelming pain.
Answer: Hurin, being made to watch what happens to his family by Morgoth.
Another possible answer: Feanor, discovering his Silmarils were taken.
Or you can interpret pain as physical pain and answer: Morgoth, when he was burnt by the Silmarils.

NEW RULE: You also have to quote or at least state specifically that part of the narration that illustrates the answer, in order to prove your point.

Any questions?
Do I get greenlight for this game, Sauce? :)

The Perky Ent 06-06-2004 03:32 PM

Sounds cool. You have to have a creative mind in order to make this easier. Anyways, Evisse, I'm not aware you need the Saucepan Man's approval. I think, you just go, and if it doesn't work, he closes it. But then, you have been in the Quiz Room longer than I have. Your call.

Evisse the Blue 06-07-2004 01:51 AM

Let's get the show on the road

You're right, Perky, guess I was just trying to be on the 'extra' safe side :D So here's the first:

Find me an instance of honest remorse!

piosenniel 06-07-2004 02:01 AM

Boromir to Frodo after he had chased after the Hobbit and cursed him:

He rose and passed his hand over his eyes, dashing away the tears. 'What have I said?' he cried. 'What have I done? Frodo, Frodo!' he called. 'Come back! A madness took me, but it has passed. Come back!'

-- 'Fellowship of the Ring'; "The Breaking of the Fellowship"

Evisse the Blue 06-07-2004 02:07 AM

Nice to see you around here, pio! :)

Yes, and exactly the one I had in mind. Your go!

piosenniel 06-07-2004 02:17 AM

Show me a moment of gladness brought on by mercy and justice.

Fingolfin II 06-07-2004 02:37 AM

Beregond, when Aragorn made him captain of the Guard of Faramir-

Quote:

And Beregond, perceiving the mercy and justice of the King, was glad, and kneeling kissed his hand, and departed in joy and content.

piosenniel 06-07-2004 03:00 AM

Well done! My very choice.

Carry on, Fingolfin II!

~*~ Pio

Fingolfin II 06-07-2004 03:33 AM

Cheers Pio.

Can anyone find me a moment where someone was consumed by both wrath and fear?

piosenniel 06-07-2004 04:07 AM

I really should go to bed - it is 3 a.m. here . . .

But I can't resist!

Quote:

Then the Messenger of Mordor laughed no more, His face was twisted with amazement and anger to the likeness of some wild beast that, as it crouches on its prey, is smitten on the muzzle with a stinging rod. Rage filled him and his mouth slavered, and shapeless sounds of fury came strangling from his throat. But he looked at the fell faces of the Captains and their deadly eyes, and fear overcame his wrath . . .
And pardon if I quote overlong - but I love the way Tolkien brings the images to life with his choice of words and phrasings.

Good night!

~*~ Pio

Fingolfin II 06-07-2004 05:13 AM

Good example. I was thinking of Sauron when he finds out about his folly, but that'll do just fine.

piosenniel 06-07-2004 11:40 AM

How about a moment of despair followed by resolve . . .

Firefoot 06-07-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

But even as hope died in Sam, or seemed to die, it was turned to a new strenght. Sam's plain hobbit-face grew stern, almost grim, as the will hardened in him, and he felt through all his limbs a thrill, as if he was turning into some creature of stone and steel that neigher despair nor weariness nor endless barren miles could subdue.
One of my favorite passages is this one, when Sam is trying to judge the distance to Mt. Doom and realizes how impossible it will be... and then becomes determined to get there.

piosenniel 06-07-2004 12:06 PM

Lovely example!

Carry on, Firefoot!

~*~ Pio

Firefoot 06-07-2004 12:29 PM

Thanks.

A moment of triumph followed by great fear.

Ophelia 06-07-2004 12:48 PM

I think i found the situation in The Hobbit (sorry , but that was the nearest book I could find around) :
"The Dwarfs were still passing around the grale hand to hand , and still adoring the recovery of their treasure (I take that as a triumph of the recovery of the grale) , when sudenly from deep inside the mountain came a sound as if a sleeping vulcano had in mind to restart its destructive work . [..] Then the Dwarves forgot their joy and pride [..] and almost died from fright ."

Hope it works .

-=Ophelia=-

Gil-Galad 06-07-2004 03:25 PM

after the fellowship defeated the marauding orcs in moria, but then faced the balrog

Firefoot 06-07-2004 05:55 PM

Go ahead, Ophelia. I was originally thinking of Sauron at the Downfall of Númenor, but that works well too.

Ophelia 06-08-2004 11:27 AM

Sorry for the disapointment , but the book was the nearest , as I said .

Mistrust , that has poved to be unreasonable .

Good luck !

Ophelia--------->

Mithalwen 06-08-2004 11:58 AM

Celeborn on receiving the Fellowship at Caras Galadhon?
?

Firefoot 06-08-2004 01:19 PM

How about when Túrin's band captured and tied Beleg?

Ophelia 06-08-2004 02:05 PM

I might be mistaking greatfuly but after reading through the chapter I found no signs of mistrust that would have been in Celeborn`s mind . All I found was a thought of "But had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again , I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders , you and all that went with you ." But it displays only anger at the Dwarves for awaking the evil under ground , that would made him not to let them enter . If you meant any other thing from the part , I beg for your forgivness but the information is very poor .
This is when I come up with a sugestion : when posting the situation , you could post aswell the part you exactly meant , for it is hard for the question-giver to search all through the books to find weather it`s true or not and it would make the answer-givers to think more and do more research making the quizz more interesting . How about that Evisse ?

I have no choice than to take Firefoot`s answer as the right onw for the situation is more known . No ofence taken !

Ophelia+---

Evisse the Blue 06-09-2004 01:21 AM

Quote:

This is when I come up with a sugestion : when posting the situation , you could post aswell the part you exactly meant , for it is hard for the question-giver to search all through the books to find weather it`s true or not and it would make the answer-givers to think more and do more research making the quizz more interesting .
That's a very good idea, Ophelia. I'll go edit the first post to include this.

As for Mithalwen's answer - the thing that came to mind was when Gimli was 'singled out' to be blindfolded - that certainly was a sign of mistrust, that later proved more than unfounded. But you're right, she should have been more specific.

Firefoot 06-09-2004 05:44 AM

Discomfort followed by delight.

Mithalwen 06-09-2004 12:34 PM

Actually it was the doubt of Celeborn I was thinking of but I didn't have the Fellowship on me ( I am resorting to cyber cafes at the moment for reasons too tedious to go into) when he he learns of the balrog .... and then Galadriel tells him not and he says "I did not know your plight was so evil" but I should have been more specific.....and on reflection... it wasn't as close as Firefoot's since Celeborn was more mistrusting his own decision rather than another person - so don't have any concerns on my account :D

BTW I am a "she" but I am not going to freak if I am called a he... I have an androgynous name in real life so I am quite used to it...... :D

Evisse the Blue 06-09-2004 12:50 PM

Well, let's see, discomfort followed by delight... I'm thinking of Sam being caught by Gandalf eavesdropping on his conversation with Frodo in 'Shadow of the Past'. First he feels discomfort at the thought of being turned into something unnatural, then he feels delight at his going to see the Elves.

Though perhaps, in the beginning he feels more terrfied than mere discomfort... So if anyone has a better one...

Ophelia 06-09-2004 01:15 PM

I know this might be a very bad example , but I will take my chances .
When Galadriel was eyeing each of the Fellowship , at the chapter "Mirror of Galadriel" , Sam felt discomfort when he was eyed , but then came the delight part - the delightful rest and refuge at Lorien .

Ophelia

Firefoot 06-10-2004 05:18 AM

Go ahead, Evisse.

Evisse the Blue 06-10-2004 06:13 AM

Show me love followed by estangement.

Mithalwen 06-10-2004 11:27 AM

This may be on too long a time frame but how about the relationship of Aldarion and Erendis? Assuming they ever really loved each other... they were certainly estranged........

Son of Númenor 06-10-2004 11:32 AM

Thingol and Turambar.

Evisse the Blue 06-11-2004 02:24 AM

I'll go with Mithalwen's answer.

Mithalwen 06-11-2004 11:37 AM

:D but eek I have to think of something .... how about grief and indignation followed by hope..?

Fingolfin II 06-11-2004 07:13 PM

Sam when he realises that Frodo is not dead after all? He is grieved at what he thinks is Frodo's death and angry at himself for not realising that he is still alive, then he has hope that he might be able to save him?

Mithalwen 06-13-2004 10:12 AM

I feel a bit mean because I am going to say no to this.... may be wrong but I don't interpret indignation to include anger with self....on the occasion I am thinking of the displeasure is directed at others..... of course it doesn't have to be the situation I am thinking of..there may be others.... but .. this one doesn't quite fit :(

May be I am being too sneaky? :rolleyes: You were very much on the right lines in other respects.....

Mithalwen 06-19-2004 10:52 AM

Hmm I thinkI have been too obscure here... so I will change the question if I may...
In case anyone cares I was thinking of Eomer when thinking Eowyn dead he is annoyed that her body is not lying in state with Theoden, then discovers she is alive..

OK new emotion ......

Awestruck in the presence of beauty....

Fingolfin II 06-19-2004 08:08 PM

This is an easier one- Sam when he saw Galadriel.

Mithalwen 06-20-2004 01:20 PM

Yep...I was thinking of Thingol and Melian but that will do nicely...various options were possible... Beren, Aragorn, Gimli when he saw Aglarond... ;)

Fingolfin II 06-21-2004 12:55 AM

Cheers.

How about an example of happiness for a very long time, followed by grief?

NightKnight 06-21-2004 03:26 AM

Arwen, being married to Aragorn for 120 years and then he died.