The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "A good night story, my love? " (What the HECK?) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9812)

Manardariel 06-04-2003 06:11 AM

"A good night story, my love? " (What the HECK?)

Ok. Answer me ONE question: what is this??? <P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/rotk/image17.jpg" TARGET=_blank>RotK piccy</A><P>I mean, WHAT ARE THEY DOING?? She´s obviously not sick, or dieing or anything.... and I´m almost sure they´re actually in EDORAS!!

Shy Hobbit 06-04-2003 09:27 AM

I believe that is the Houses of Healing.

HCIsland 06-04-2003 10:09 AM

I've heard people say both Edoras and Houses of Healing. I don't know.<P>The thing is, Merry is going to the Black Gates with the rest of the host of the west, which means he's not as greviously injured as in the book. I also suspect that Eowyn will be more with it than in the book because her relationship with Aragorn needs to be resolved before he heads off, freeing her to fall in love with Faramir without it seeming like she's settling for someone else. It is possible, therefore, for this scene to be from the Houses of Healing.<P>H.C.

Lyra Greenleaf 06-04-2003 12:48 PM

Hee hee- what's she wearing?

Gorwingel 06-04-2003 01:28 PM

I don't think it is anything that you should have to worry about. I would think that it is the Houses of Healing, because Eowyn looks a lad pailer than she usually does, and it just looks like that part of the book to me.

Phervasaion 06-04-2003 02:27 PM

I also think it can only be the houses of healing. Probably when shes just recovered from her illness.

VanimaEdhel 06-04-2003 02:56 PM

Yup, that's definitely in the House of Healing. He is probably either telling her how everything went, or maybe telling her that he cannot be with her because he loves Arwen and she did not, in fact, said away. P.J. would not make Aragorn and Eowyn have any more than what they had in T.T.T., which was basically nothing.

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 06-04-2003 03:12 PM

BOO CHANGES TO ROTK! BOO!<P>Ya, I think that's when she is healing. But I thought the Houses of Healing would be a little less...drab?

Elentarimir 06-04-2003 06:11 PM

That is most definitely the Houses of Healing! Where else (other than Edoras in TTT) would Aragorn be sitting there with Eowyn?<P>Unless ROTK is more screwed up than I thought...

Mordor_Queen 06-05-2003 06:48 AM

i reckon its the houses of healing

HCIsland 06-05-2003 07:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Where else (other than Edoras in TTT) would Aragorn be sitting there with Eowyn? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think it's the Houses of Healing, but it does seem there are more scenes with Aragorn and the rest in Edoras coming. It seems meetings between characters that occur at Helm's Deep and Dunharrow in the book are all moved to Edoras, so the other possibility is that this is Aragorn telling Eowyn he's about to take the Paths of the Dead, but that still doesn't feel right to me.<P>H.C.

the real findorfin 06-05-2003 07:19 AM

Isn't she wearing the cloak Faramir gives her that was his mother's? Forgive me if i'm wrong but that was blue as well. This might be it?

Faramir Fan 06-05-2003 07:33 AM

OMG!!! Do you think with her wearing the cloak that Eowyn could be telling Aragorn that she has fallen in love with Faramir...<P>Maybe they have her fall in love with Faramir before Aragorn leaves, drag out the HOH time a little maybe giving the army time to regroup before leaving for the Black Gate and that Eowyn tells Aragorn, and he is happy for her and wishes her well.<P>Now that would make me happy, to have it come from Eowyn would definately not make it seem that she is "settling" for Faramir. <P>I'm trying not to get my hopes up here...

HCIsland 06-05-2003 01:42 PM

Or maybe it's after they've come back.<P>Interesting.<P>H.C.

LePetitChoux 06-07-2003 02:44 AM

Or she could be poting that Aragorn is going on an adventure and she has to make the army's beds. And he might be reassuring her. Or something.

dunadan_aragorn 06-07-2003 11:41 AM

I would have thought The Houses of Healing would have a lighter atmosphere.

Estella Brandybuck 06-07-2003 03:45 PM

Whoa! I never noticed that cloak that she's wearing - maybe it <I>is</I> Finduilas's! <P>When I first saw that picture, I assumed it was in Edoras, right before Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead. Just the style of the room at first glance reminded me of Rohan, but after closer observation, I see that it is debatable. <A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/6701.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Here's</A> a high-resolution version of that picture, if anyone can get more out of it.

Niluial 06-07-2003 03:58 PM

All I can say is COOOOOOOOOL but really what is she wearing?

Sapphire_Flame 06-07-2003 05:16 PM

Yeah, that looks like Finduilas's cloak she's wearing, though I always imagined it as a darker blue. Most assuredly the Houses of Healing there, I think. Interesting bedpost, don't you think? o.O

HCIsland 06-07-2003 07:03 PM

This pic is still confusing me. Here is the description of Finduilas' cloak from the book.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ... and over all the Lady Eowyn wore a great blue mantle of the colour of deep summer-night, and it was set with silver stars about the hem and throat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>For the most part, the props of these films have been extrodinarily like the descriptions from the book when those descriptions existed. This doesn't sound like the same cloak.<P>Moreover, I'm looking at Argorn's cloths and it looks like the shirt he is wearing when he sets out for the Paths of the Dead.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797/view/6693" TARGET=_blank>pic</A><P>If you look at the above pic, you'll notice he appears to be wearing the same shirt and vest as in the pic with Eowyn.<P>Now compare that to <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797/view/6682" TARGET=_blank>pic of him</A> clearly after Pelennor Fields. Even with the armour off, it doesn't appear he is wearing the same shirt.<P>So, this pic is either just before the Paths of the Dead at Edoras or after the Paths of the Dead in the Houses of Healing, but then why would Eowyn have the cloak, if indeed it even is the cloak.<P>Sorry, for being so confusing, but to me this picture is far from clear.<P>H.C.

mordor136 06-08-2003 03:00 PM

Well all I can say is that sometimes movies mess up cronological orders. So,the picture still remains a mystery to me . however , the picture is still cool to me.

Oddwen 06-08-2003 09:23 PM

My guess would be that it's in Edoras, I just can't see a ram's head in Gondor, but if it were in the Houses of Healing, I'd say he was telling her that the host was going to the Black Gate.

Rose Cotton 06-09-2003 05:12 AM

Now that I see the description of the cloak I don't think that's what Eowyn is wearing. It's just an everyday Gondorian robe. <p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]

Estella Brandybuck 06-09-2003 09:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>a great blue mantle of the colour of deep summer-night<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahh, <I>dark</I> blue... in that case, I don't think that's at the Houses of Healing. At least, I hope not... And I don't know what it is, but something about the design of that room just reminds me of Rohan...

Faramir Fan 06-09-2003 10:01 AM

It's Edoras...those pillars with the black and red oval shape design are all over the inside of the Golden Hall.

HCIsland 06-09-2003 12:06 PM

Thanks FaramirFan. That simplifies things.<P>Actually, the scene may not be that wierd at all. While Aragorn, Theoden and company march to Isengard, Eowyn would be taking the people of Edoras back home. After the incident with the Palantir, Aragorn receiving Anduril and perhaps some news of Gondor, Aragorn will be compelled to seek the Paths of the Dead and race ahead. Meanwhile Eowyn is not expecting their return for some time and has simply decided to use the time to catch some much needed Zs.<P>This could simply be Aragorn waking her up and perparing to tell her that he will be walking the Paths.<P>H.C.<p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]

Estella Brandybuck 06-09-2003 03:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>This could simply be Aragorn waking her up and perparing to tell her that he will be walking the Paths.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's what I'd originally thought when first looking at the picture, and now I think that's the theory that makes the most sense.

Lindril Arvilya 06-09-2003 03:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Even with the armour off, it doesn't appear he is wearing the same shirt. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm just surprised Aragorn changed his clothes at all.

HCIsland 06-09-2003 05:43 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm just surprised Aragorn changed his clothes at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm just wondering if he'll shave for the wedding. <P>H.C.

Rose Cotton 06-09-2003 07:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm just wondering if he'll shave for the wedding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL! The day Aragorn shaves is the day Tolkien rises from the dead. <BR>*someone tapes Rose on the sholder. Rose turns around and sees Tolkien*<P>Hey, who knows?

Duncariel 06-09-2003 07:10 PM

LOL. I'm pretty sure it's in Edoras,the houses of healing seemed, well, cheerier.<P>First, one cannot be rightly healed in a dark dreary place such as in the pic, although it does seem to match Eowyn's dispositon in the Houses of Healing. <P>As for the cloak, HC is correct, it's too light.

The Saucepan Man 06-09-2003 07:21 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm just wondering if he'll shave for the wedding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Actually, that's another piece of evidence to suggest that this is at Edoras. From the pictures that I have seen, Aragorn does spruce himself up for his returning king act.

Everdawn 06-09-2003 10:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>what's she wearing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I dunnow but it looks kinda cool! wow, Éowyn, who would have thought, a style icon!

doug*platypus 12-08-2003 08:35 PM

That is SO Rohan! Oddwen is on the right track. The props and set design ppl had vastly different designs for each race. The ram's head, the furry cloak (I think it's styley!) and the figuring on the walls indicate to me that it's Rohan. <P>Plus look at Éowyn's makeup. She's not sick, she's been crying. My guess is that this is the setup for her being told to stay at home, then riding to the Battle of Pelennor as Dernhelm. COOL. Remember they have already planted the seed of this plotline in TTT when Théoden forbids her to fight the Wargs, even though we know she can handle a sword. <P>Kudos to PJ/FW/PB, that's an excellent story that should rightly be kept in there! I can't wait to see the fell beastie get 'is 'ead chopped orf.

Tar-Alcarin 12-08-2003 09:27 PM

that is most certainly at Edoras. most likely when Aragorn is saying good bye to Eowyn on the LoTR web site the caption for that picture says<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Aragorn spends a quiet moment with Eowyn at Edoras. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Its settled now.

Knight of Gondor 12-08-2003 10:18 PM

I think Aragorn is way too much of a gentlemen to be at Eowyn's bedside just for a "visit", and Eowyn too proud to lie in bed as if weak while talking to Aragorn. <P>The wooden background looks Rohan-ish, I admit, but if you've seen the picture of Aragorn healing Faramir, it looks woody too. <P>Here's a higher resolution image: <A HREF="http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots_rotk/lotr2_aragorncomfortseowyn.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>.

Tar-Alcarin 12-08-2003 10:27 PM

NOt to get confrontational(sp?) but the CAPTION off of the LOTR WEBSITE said the PICTURE is this:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <B>Aragorn spends a quiet moment with Eowyn at Edoras. </B> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>so if the website, not just any website, THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE, were lyin about that pic, may the Valar strike me down.

Finwe 12-09-2003 04:58 PM

I believe so too. The Celtic motifs on the walls behind Eowyn are most definitely Rohirric in nature. I don't believe that Gondor would have rooms built out of slightly rustic wood, in that slightly Viking-ish style. It has a much more fluid, elegant, monochromatic decor. Look at shots of Eomer, Aragorn, Gandalf, etc. in the Council Room, and you will see a prime example of Gondorian decor. They also tend to have lots of statues and busts around, whereas the Rohirrim decorate mainly with wooden horse motifs, tapestries, and banners.

Tar-Alcarin 12-09-2003 07:22 PM

Gondorian funiture seems almost like Roman. Made out of granite and marble, almost reagle. While Rohan, is rustic and norse. So for that reason alone, it must be edoras.