The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ever wondered how to bake lembas? Here's the recipe! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2614)

The Evenstar 03-30-2003 11:18 AM

Ever wondered how to bake lembas? Here's the recipe!

Hey!

This is for all you curious chefs who want to bake the Elven bread, Lembas. When I made it, it was a great success. Why don't you try it?

LEMBAS:

What Tolkien says about Lembas:
-They contain honey
-they are light-colored on the inside and light brown crust
-they are thin and regular-shaped. This implies they were made on some kind of griddle iron. The closest modern equivalent is a Krumkake iron. I used a pizzelle iron.
Some other things we can guess:
-They contain the fruit and maybe the flower-water of the Mallorn tree. I substituted oranges, although kumquats What Tolkien says about Lembas:
-They contain honey
-they are light-colored on the inside and light brown crust
-they are thin and regular-shaped. This implies they were made on some kind of griddle iron. The closest modern equivalent is a Krumkake iron. I used a pizzelle iron.
Some other things we can guess:
-They contain the fruit and maybe the flower-water of the Mallorn tree. I substituted oranges, although kumquats or a hand of Buddha fruit might be better.
-They probably had some kind of finely ground light-colored nut in them. I used almonds.
-They contained some kind of nourishing flour. I used semolina flour, which is a more primitive flour, and also more nourishing.
-Galadriel probably used some kind of grinder to refine the ingredients. I used a blender.
The recipe:
3 eggs
1 cup honey (preferably wild honey)
1 tablespoon grated orange peel or three kumquats or one large finger of a hand of Buddha.
2 teaspoons orange flower water (optional)
3 oz blanched almonds
1/4 cup melted butter
2-1/4 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon salt Place eggs, honey, orange peel or other fruit, orange flower water, and almonds in blender.
Blend on high for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining flour and salt.
Whisk or stir until well blended. Bake lembas on a pizzelle or krumkake iron 15 seconds each or until lightly brown.
You may substitute a waffle iron but add a teaspoon of baking powder. (The texture will not be quite accurate in a waffle iron.)
or a hand of Buddha fruit might be better.
-They probably had some kind of finely ground light-colored nut in them. I used almonds.
-They contained some kind of nourishing flour. I used semolina flour, which is a more primitive flour, and also more nourishing.
-Galadriel probably used some kind of grinder to refine the ingredients. I used a blender.
The recipe:
3 eggs
1 cup honey (preferably wild honey)
1 tablespoon grated orange peel or three kumquats or one large finger of a hand of Buddha.
2 teaspoons orange flower water (optional)
3 oz blanched almonds
1/4 cup melted butter
2-1/4 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon salt Place eggs, honey, orange peel or other fruit, orange flower water, and almonds in blender.
Blend on high for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining flour and salt.
Whisk or stir until well blended. Bake lembas on a pizzelle or krumkake iron 15 seconds each or until lightly brown.
You may substitute a waffle iron but add a teaspoon of baking powder. (The texture will not be quite accurate in a waffle iron.)

Elotareth 03-30-2003 11:26 AM

Thanks, The Evenstar! Can't wait to try this one! (don't know what happened to your text, though. You've got a few repeats [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )

Niluial 03-30-2003 12:55 PM

Oh this stuff is yummy! I made it I made ‘Lambas’ with out burning it (for once I dont burn something [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) and it was the greatest! Repeat WAS the greatest but my batch doesn’t exist anymore, lets just say the family smelt it and got their grubby little hands on it! So now I am busy making some more and this time I will hide it! Yummy…

Annalaliath 04-04-2003 12:59 AM

Dude I tried this today evan before i saw the post. Instead of using those things to cook them in you can cook them on a flat griddle like a tortilla. The only thing is, you need lot of buttr or the batter stuff will stick to EVERYTHING.

Elotareth 04-05-2003 03:03 PM

Ooh, I just made this and it turned out perfect! Instead of using an iron, I put square shaped globs of batter on a slightly greased cookie sheet and baked for about 5 minutes at 350. Then I flipped them, like pancakes, and baked for another approximate 5 minutes. They are just like the elf bread as I imagine it, because they are extremely filling and have a light taste, but are still flavourful. Now, if only I could find some mallorn leaves... I'm thinking of trying banana.
I was just joking that everyone would know how big an LotR freak I was if I stocked my Civil Air Patrol 72 hour survival pack with Lembas.... but anyway, thanks for the recipe!

Faybevin Bombadil 04-05-2003 07:13 PM

Mmm ... sounds tasty. I'm sooo glad you posted this Evenstar. Can't wait to get the cooking pans out.

Love,
Faybevin

The Evenstar 04-06-2003 04:47 AM

Oh, it's my pleasure. Thank you for trying out the recipe!

Lyra Greenleaf 04-06-2003 11:40 AM

Any suggestions about how to do it without the aid of a blender? Has anyone tried? Will it work?

The Evenstar 04-06-2003 11:46 AM

Hey!

I'm not actually sure if it'll work - maybe not as well as with the blender. You could try

Annalaliath 04-06-2003 02:53 PM

try a cuisin art that is the only thing that i am remotly close to that resembled an blender if not you could barrow one but that is usually difficult sience they may be llike sewing machines and completly go nutts. Now when i made the stuff the first time i use all purpose flour cause that is what i had and it stayed to gether well bu this new flour i have to bake it and not cook it on my griddle. but i guess the elves my have had fun with the instruction of cooking it like a tortilla. i should send some to christoper and see if he responds. hes in the Army and Korea, sigh....

Elotareth 04-06-2003 05:52 PM

I would also try one of those hand held electric mixers. When I made it, I went ahead and used the blender, but I remember thinking at the time that it probably would have worked fine just stirring by hand.
Also, I substituted 1 tsp Lemon extract and 1 tsp almond extract in place of the 2 tsp orange water. I also added about a tablespoon full of plain yogurt, which made it really good [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elotareth 04-06-2003 05:53 PM

Oh yeah, the reason I didn't need a blender was that, instead of blanchd almonds, I used almond meal, which is basically ground up almonds. You can probably get it at a health food store.

Annalaliath 04-07-2003 11:48 AM

or albertsons. you can get the ground up almonds at alberstsons. but i think that this was fun....... and my stepdad threatedned that he would not eat my lembas if he could not find it.....

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Annalaliath ]

Heathie4479 04-09-2003 02:20 PM

Me and my friends tired to make this only we didn't have honey so we used maple syrup insted. Also we mixed the ingredients wrong. It would have tasted so good, except for our mistakes and it was awful!! LoL I want to try it again, RIGHT, soon!

Elanor 04-09-2003 03:27 PM

Hmm, I've tried this too, and I'm sorry to say it was one of the most disappointing things I've made. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Although I have no idea what semolina flour is, so I used self raising, and perhaps that is what made the difference. Also, the honey I used had a very strong fragrance, which overpowered the rest of the flavours.

Annalaliath 04-09-2003 03:51 PM

next time don't worry about the flour(it is pasta flour by the way) just use all purpose, not self rising. if you use all- purpose you can cook it like a tortilla(on a griddle), or in eastern terms, a pancake.

Arafangwen 04-09-2003 04:45 PM

Wow that sounds great! I've always wanted to try lembas bread. Where can I find that special flour? I know that it's some sort of pasta stuff but thats all. How did you figure out the recipe? Oh, to many questions so little time! Thanx for helping! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 04-09-2003 05:24 PM

Hmmm... I know Mark 12:30 fries her lembas on a griddle, too. but I bake mine like bread and slice it (thus, the regular shape).

Lembas and many other Middle-earth inspired recipes are found here in the Arda recipe book.

Goldberry 04-09-2003 07:27 PM

Mmmm, this sounds good! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of lembas (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this) in lunch, they sell something called Elfin Crackers by Keebler. I just had to buy some; I couldn't possibly resist! Anyway . . . yep that's about it. lol, sorry, that was pretty dumb. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Evenstar - thanks for posting this! I'm gonna make some lembas as soon as I have free time.

Annalaliath 04-10-2003 04:42 PM

you can find that flour at Albertsons, or any place like wildoats or whole foods. I just used it and it gives it a griny texture. And i found the reciapee on some web site that had them all ya need to do is type in Lebas in dogpile and you might be able to find it. Same recapee as the originall poster so she propbable found it on the same web site... hey we all are fans arn't we?

Annalaliath 07-13-2003 03:27 PM

As soon as I get more almound I shall make more! I like it it is pretty much good. I would like to bring this thread back into the light! Yes this special flour makes the texture all strange. I am not going to use that again unless I can get some soy flour. That will make it more nutritious. And I shall try the yogert, no matter how much I hate it. I can also add soy nutts instead of almunds and then to flavor it I can use almond extract for flavor. I will let you all know how it turnd out.

Olorin 07-13-2003 04:42 PM

Oooo. This sounds yummy. Very yummy indeed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Alatariel Telemnar 07-13-2003 06:28 PM

Yep! Sounds very delicious! I shall have to try it one time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aredhel Ar Feiniel 07-14-2003 08:51 AM

Woohoo!! Must beg mother dearest to take me ingredient shopping when she returns... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Annalaliath 07-14-2003 08:55 AM

I did a serch. There are at least two other recapies out there. I will put them down next time I have the time.

I will make this Lembas if it is the last thing I do. Tonight...... after the long school hours.

Neferchoirwen 07-15-2003 01:13 AM

I was wondering about what to do this weekend, and POOF! A lembas recipe right in front of me!

thanks for making me feel less mundane!

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]

Tarien Ithil 07-15-2003 11:53 AM

I've just scoffed myself with lembas (I feel full) and thanks so much Evenstar!

Anyway, I didn't grill it in a waffle iron; I fried it, but it wa still yummy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Annalaliath 07-15-2003 02:16 PM

It was all in the old thingsin the back. Had to search fro this old thread........... Have fun, I wanted to bring this one back anyway.

Neferchoirwen 07-16-2003 01:14 AM

Kudos to you, then, Annalaith!

question to Tarien:
you fried them? with what? Butter? canola oil? LARD? what's the difference?

[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]

Niluial 07-16-2003 05:43 AM

Fried it? Did it taste the same? Oh tell us how you fried it?

Oh when I visited The_Evenstar we made lots of Lembas and scoffed it talking about Tolkien and watching LotR it is the only way to do it!!!

Linnamalle 07-16-2003 07:58 AM

I bake mine in a cast iron frypan, but you could fry it (the Scots do that with their "griddle scones".) I always use butter. And as for the best way to eat it (do you mean "scarf"?) I find that a quiet little trail through a beech forest or a pine ridge makes the Lembas especially enjoyable. It is "waybread" after all.

Tarien Ithil 07-16-2003 11:47 AM

Well, I simply did it like a pancake.

I put the batter in the frying pan with olive oil (you can use sunflower oil too) and it tasted very pleasant (and filling!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Niluial 07-16-2003 02:06 PM

Yumm… sounds yummy Tarien!!!! Linnamalle I suppose you are right… it is nice to do it outside n an adventure! The_Evenstar and I would have don it but it is winter here!

Roccotari Eldandil 07-16-2003 02:50 PM

He he he... I am so bringing this to school for lunch. And to the movie premiere. If only I can overcome my baking disabilities...

Annalaliath 07-16-2003 03:01 PM

Well depending on the flour that I use I cook them on a griddle like a tortilla. Although the honey makes the batter stick to everything, so I have to use lots of butter to keep it from sticking. Wow my spelling in that last post is horrable! I like this thread because it was one of the first ones I posted in....... Back to topic, when I say it depends on the type of flour used I mean that if you use semolina it is doesn't stay together on the griddle as well than if you use all purpose. the special flour just gives it a differnt texture.......

Niluial 07-16-2003 04:07 PM

Quote:

If only I can overcome my baking disabilities...
Hmmm…I suffer from that! I doubt we will be cooking a meal together (apart from two minute noodles..???) anytime soon [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!

Quote:

it depends on the type of flour used I mean that if you use semolina it is doesn't stay together on the griddle as well than if you use all purpose. the special flour just gives it a different texture.......
I know I also find that!!

Aredhel Ar Feiniel 07-16-2003 06:21 PM

Mmmmmmmmm! Just finished baking my first batch of lembas- it was delicious!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks so much for the recipe, Evenstar! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

celeborn 07-17-2003 06:58 AM

What is lembas

is it cake?? Why does it get cooked with honey and nuts?

Tarien Ithil 07-18-2003 01:55 PM

Lembas, or "way bread" is a bread made by the Elves for long journies. It is very filling and nourishing. Why don't you try the recipe? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

elfearz1 07-19-2003 10:40 PM

mmmm, sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe I've been wanting them for a while now. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm really excited to try this recipe out, hopefully it will come out ok I'm not the best cook. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]