The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Barrow-Downs Scavenger Hunt (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4501)

The Barrow-Wight 01-24-2004 01:57 PM

The Barrow-Downs Scavenger Hunt

We have a new contest on the main site: The Barrow-Downs Scavenger Hunt.

Only the first 8 people to solve it get prizes, so hurry!

The Barrow-Wight 01-25-2004 02:47 PM

Some people are just outright guessing. Ha! You can't figure out the final answer by guessing!

Finwe 01-25-2004 06:51 PM

Oooh... this is indeed tricksy. Oh well, I sent in my best answers.

P.S. No, BW, I didn't guess. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Feanor of the Peredhil 01-25-2004 08:34 PM

But Mister Wight, sir, I didn't guess. I knew some of the answers, researched some others, looked a few up in the books, and then discovered the final answer after quite a lot of hard work. No guessing involved, actually.

Feanor of the Peredhil

Edit: Fea is rather interested in the outcome and would like to register curiosity over some of the guessed answers that so delight His Wightness. In short: when do we find out the winners?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:39 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Feanor of the Peredhil ]

the phantom 01-25-2004 11:55 PM

Curse you Barrow-Wight! No, I take that back. Curse me!

I figured out ten of the clues in about 45 seconds. Oh baby, I was on a role! But then my brain just hit a wall (it can only handle a few seconds of thinking a day you know).

Though I only had ten of the eleven clues I was able to discover what the final clue was but...I don't know the answer! No, actually I do know, it's floating around in my head someplace and I can't find it (and I don't have the time to launch an expedition into my book to look for the answer).

My only hope is for other people to suffer similar melt-downs until I get the time to find the answer.

But despite my frustrations I think this hunt is really cool. A pat on the back to whoever thought of this.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 01-26-2004 11:43 AM

Wait...... I think I've been confused. You mean to tell me that we only have to find the answers to the eleven questions? There's no hidden clue and secret answer to find after that? Here all this time I thought the "final answer" was like the quiz game Password, and I've been searching for ages trying to find some sort of pattern in the letters, to no avail. And now you tell me that it's really quite simple?!?!

Ainaserkewen 01-26-2004 12:34 PM

Is anyone else finding this really difficult? I am. Oh well, I'm not too disapointed. I'll just wait for a contest that I'm really good at *starts muttering* then I wipe the floor with all their smart heads! Hahaha. Just kidding, I'm really trying, but I'm in no run for the win. Oh well.

Quote:

But then my brain just hit a wall
That gives a nice mental picture phantom, a funny one.

Finwe 01-26-2004 06:22 PM

Don't worry. My brain suffered a severe meltdown while trying to come up with the final answer, so I desperately searched for some hint of a pattern, and submitted a final answer based off of that.

the phantom 01-26-2004 10:26 PM

After staying up all night watching movies and then sleeping in till about two in the afternoon my mind was feeling well rested. I turned my thoughts back to the hunt and within seconds found my answer.

Unfortunately I had my epiphany at work without a computer in sight. When I got home my dad told me that he had checked the page during the day and there still were not enough winners so I went ahead and sent my answer in a few minutes ago.
Quote:

and I've been searching for ages trying to find some sort of pattern in the letters, to no avail
Well, there was definitely a pattern in my answers. Whether or not it was the one Barrow-Wight is looking for remains to be seen.

Feanor of the Peredhil 01-27-2004 04:00 PM

There was actually quite an obvious pattern in my answers. I simply hope it's right, because if not, I'll feel like an idiot. But then... I am the one who got really confused about the existence of chicken water... so feeling stupid is nothing new.

Fea

The Barrow-Wight 01-29-2004 01:03 PM

The Barrow-Downs Scavenger hunt is closed. We have our winners, and they have been notified by e-mail. Look on the main page to see the winners and the answers to the clues - plus the final answer that was needed to win.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:18 PM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

Diamond18 01-29-2004 02:22 PM

Cool contest, BW. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Congratulations to the winners. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Feanor of the Peredhil 01-29-2004 05:34 PM

I have a simple question...

If a winner's confounded e-mail system accidentally had the 'Downs blocked, would the wonderful, kind, and understanding Mister Barrow Wight be so nice as to re-notify the winner in question, seeing as how the notification never actually made it past the filters that I never knew were there until I couldn't figure out why my screen name was listed as winner, but I was recieving no notification...?

Actually, I started screaming when I saw that I won the book, so I'd really hate to disappoint my brother (who wants to read it now) and my mom (who said "I'll believe it when I see it") by not being able to claim my prize because of technical difficulties with my blasted computer...

Cheers,

Feanor of the Peredhil

The Barrow-Wight 01-29-2004 06:44 PM

If that winner answers his (her?) PM and verifies her identity, he will get her prize. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Dininziliel 01-30-2004 12:56 AM

Oh, Mr. Wight? Please sir [jumps up & down and waves arms about in the air to get attention of Barrow Wight] . . .

Can we have another, please? In fact--lots!

I hope it didn't take too long to come up with this one. One a month would be lovely!

Kudos to the impeccable handling of the contest by the mods! And, applause to the winners and near winners! I was off by a wide mile on the few answers I thought I'd gotten. But I know my scholarship will improve greatly with practice! So, help this dead one develop her natural, latent abilities and give us another scavenger hunt--a mind is a terrible thing to waste! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

the phantom 01-30-2004 12:04 PM

Are there plans to make scavenger hunts a regular thing here on the Downs?

If so, I would very much like to author a few.

Finwe 01-30-2004 06:19 PM

I'd definitely agree there, even though most of my answers were off by a long shot. Ah well, it just gives me an excuse to re-read LotR over and over again. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lyta_Underhill 01-30-2004 07:05 PM

If only I had had enough time to devote to this, along with everything else! I still gave it a shot, but didn't get anywhere near close enough to send in an answer. (although I got 6 answers right and had the right idea on a few others-trust me to write "mumak" instead of "oliphaunt!") Right clever this was, and fun too! I must say, the "Fang in the Ring" stymied me forever and I guessed wildly, but it seems so simple now that I see the answer before me! Great contest, BW! Thanks for the diversion and pleasant frustration! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

Luthien_ Tinuviel 01-30-2004 09:01 PM

So close.... there's only one that I actually missed, and trust me to second guess myself with a more "clever" answer on the other one. Of course, I thougth everything would be really cryptic, so I examined it for something really obscure and all that. Instead of "apple" for number four, I put Haysend, because hay can be taken as a type of produce, "wasted" can sometimes mean "come to an end", and the village of Haysend was outside the Hedge. And then it turns out to be really obvious. Grr.

Great contest, though, and it would be nice to have others, although I don't know if the BW would love to go buying prizes for us all the time!

Nilpaurion Felagund 02-01-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

although I don't know if the BW would love to go buying prizes for us all the time!
Isn't it prize enough to know you're soooo great at these things? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]