The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

mark12_30 03-09-2003 08:00 PM

14 or so: You've tried numerous time to explain Ewan MacGregor's eyeliner to various people, and they Just Don't Get It. And they don't even beGIN to understand the Balrog's eyeliner.

InklingElf 03-10-2003 09:38 AM

Quote:

One more-
- When you consider hiding your screenname so other BD'ers won't see how much time you spend here...
True, true

Manardariel 03-10-2003 11:10 AM

Some just too true for me right now:

Even though you´re REALLY sick and can basically think, you drag yourself in front of your computer and say to yourself: "I am not dizzy. I will not through up. I will write an RPG post!"

As all your friends have seem to have overlooked your absence in school, you hope you´ll get the appreciation and pity you need here instead

Hilde Bracegirdle 03-10-2003 12:00 PM

Ah this is too funny!

Quote:

Your colleagues visit you at lunchbreak, see the green-and-black screen, and ask, "How's Bilbo?"
I Almost laughed out loud when I saw that! I don't get "How's Bilbo?" but rather "Find anything good?"

But I don't have a problem...I can quit any time. I can go for a day without wondering if I'm missing anything.... Just because 99 percent of lunch is a picnic on the Downs and the other 1 percent is on Amazon seeing if I can get a hard back copy of HoME Vol. 2. (And I resent actually having to eat!) And just because my family feel I'm a wee bit preoccupied....

As long as I don't get into RPG I should be OK, right? Or is that no RPG before noon?
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lyra Greenleaf 03-10-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

As all your friends have seem to have overlooked your absence in school, you hope you´ll get the appreciation and pity you need here instead
get well soon! aah! you look terrible ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
was that the sort of thing you wanted?

Aralaithiel 03-10-2003 09:50 PM

Here are some of mine. Another good thread, Lush. I shouldn't stay away as long as I have. Bad Elf Queen!

Top 10 signs you're addicted to anything LOTR, including BD!
10. You take your LOTR action figures to work.
9. You frequently check the BD site at work, especially to read anything Samwise has posted. I've missed you, Samwise!
8. Your hubby whines that he can't use the computer because you're writing yet another chapter of your fan fiction.
7. You keep putting your One Ring on in hopes that it will make you invisible.
6. Clapping loudly when the vicar of your church refers to the new informational class as the E.L.F. class (ELF stands for Episcopal Life & Faith).
5. You refer to anything as "my precious", and frequently use the word "nasssty".
4. Checking BD frequently to see what those silly hobbits are up to.
3. Carefully looking at a tree before leaning up against it for fear that you'll wake an Ent.
2. Hiding the CC bill from your hubby so that he won't see how much more LOTR stuff you bought from Amazon.com
And my number one sign that I am addicted to LOTR:
I recite The Lord's Prayer in Quenya at church.

Yes, I am an addict! :-D

Birdland 03-10-2003 11:35 PM

Quote:

As long as I don't get into RPG I should be OK, right?
(Ghastly Hobbits beckon with skeletal fingers):
"Come, Hilde. Come to the RPG Rooooooms! Why, they hardly take any of your time at allllll. Just a few minutes a day. You know you want tooooooooo..."

"Oh, and don't forget to bring your sword, a recently discovered map, some kind of mysterious Elven artifact, a horse that speaks 7 languages, and...what else?...oh, yes, an extra handkerchief and a change of socks."

HerenIstarion 03-11-2003 12:19 AM

Well, I can add one up, methinks

"your office PC monitor is luckily turned away from everybody else in the room, so you can type whatever you're typing now on the BD instead of calculating the increase in number of credit cards sold over the last year (whatever else there it may be) you're supposed to be calculating right away"

Hirilaelin 03-11-2003 12:49 AM

You read this thread! lol [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hilde Bracegirdle 03-11-2003 11:46 AM

Ack Birdland "DON'T TEMPT ME!" (I feel myself slipping .... Maybe if I just linger on that forum alittle...see what it's like.)

You know you're addicted when:
  • [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] it's 7AM and you've been to check the Downs twice. Once at home and once at work.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] when you are trying to cut and paste a door's center panel into another drawing at work and someone's avatar shows up instead!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Everytime a CADManager guild e-mail gets sent to you with the heading "employee internet access" you start getting a real sense of panic.

mark12_30 03-11-2003 12:06 PM

Feh. All this time I've been blaming C7A, and Birdie, it was you and those hobbit-wraiths all along. Shifty, shifty.

The Saucepan Man 03-11-2003 01:13 PM

Oops! Scary how many of these are only too familiar. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:

When you consider hiding your screenname so other BD'ers won't see how much time you spend here...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm glad it's not just me!

Here's another one from recent experience:

When, having finally logged-off and gone to bed at some unearthly hour in the morning, you lie in bed trying to work out the answer to LePetitChoux's excellent cryptic clue in the Words in Words thread ... and then when inspiration strikes, you get out of bed, log on and post what you hope is the answer ...

Oh dear! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Amanaduial the archer 03-11-2003 01:57 PM

Yeah, same Saucepan man. Im wincing at how scarily familiar some of these, one in particular is seeming....one which no way am I going to mention, for risk of eternal humiliation...

But I can say, that going on the downs is not the very first thing I do.

Its the very last.

*Varda* 03-11-2003 05:04 PM

These are way too familiar for my liking...I do occasionally just sit and refresh the page, waiting for someone to come along and post on a thread...obsessed? Maybe. And I am developing a really bad habit of coming online for 15 minutes before school in the morning. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Maybe we all need therapy.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: *Varda* ]

Ithaeliel 03-11-2003 09:13 PM

How many of you minors here have your parents ground you... by taking away your privileges of going HERE? Just a thought, since that is my present situation.

Gorwingel 03-11-2003 11:06 PM

Don't keep us from knowing if you are currently on line! Because I always like knowing who's on when. Besides I am not going to be bashful about being on this website a lot. My name is Gorwingel and I am addicted to the Barrow-Downs. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Amanaduial the archer 03-12-2003 11:37 AM

Yes, I have been banned from the downs for a week. I thought I would die...

Nah, jk. I dont go on before school though. Too early, bleh...

Aerandir Carnesir 03-12-2003 12:20 PM

Ha ha!!! I go on before school, and between classes, and after school. I'm home-schooled!!! Today is my third day of home-schooling and...this...is...the...life. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] I'm sorry that some of you guys are banned from the downs. That must be real hell. My girlfriend is banned too, and people I think are starting to think that she's dead in the RPG. She hasn't posted there for like, two weeks. Oh well. Aralaithiel, so true...so true. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ranger of the Dúnedain,

Aerandir Carnesir [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elanor 03-12-2003 12:40 PM

I can identify with way too many of these!

I had a Barrow Downs moment this morning. Watching the weather forecast, the BBC puts in some random towns on the map, which change every day. Well today, they were Oxford and Barrow in Furness. My mind jumped straight away to you-know-what!

InklingElf 03-12-2003 12:44 PM

I have almost the same case as all of you who are banned...

Whenever my mom [or dad] entered the room, they would always see something green on the screen w/ a black background. And they would always see me reply to something, and they were worried I got into a cult or something because of the colors [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . I don't blame them-I do spend alot of time here, and I'm always cooped up in my room doing homework or on the internet on the Barrow-Downs. But then I explained everything-and I didn't need to show all the FAQs about the forum. :breathes: They ALMOST had to ban me because I had spent so much time here.

Yet, another thing restrains me from writing lengthy replies to great topics: SCHOOL. Yep, that's right school. The 3rd quarter of 8th grade is almost done [and it's the hardest of all 4 quarters of school]. Well, I'd best get back to studying Romeo and Juliet...

Rimbaud 03-12-2003 01:17 PM

Lush, quite how bad must his puns have been?

*incredulity etc*

Brinniel 03-12-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

I do occasionally just sit and refresh the page, waiting for someone to come along and post on a thread
I've done that up to an hour before. Then I realize that it's 4:00 in the morning and I have church in six hours. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have gotten banned from the computer before and it's a terrible, terrible thing. Last week I spent so much time on one RPG, my mom threatened to forbid me from doing anymore RPGs again (I was going to bed at 11:00 on school nights). But luckily that was only a threat and she has not threatened me that since. *wipes sweat off forehead*

Ithaeliel 03-12-2003 05:03 PM

Brinn, don't think it's over... don't think it's over... be cautious, young hobbits! The parents are out there... just waiting... waiting to get you... to revoke all your RPGing privileges! *thunder & lightning followed by bloodcurdling scream and the shadow of a parent*

dragoneyes 03-12-2003 06:05 PM

Quote:

I was going to bed at 11:00 on school nights
Oh dear, school tomorrow and it's already midnight. I am expecting my dad to look somewhat dissaprovingly at the screen and rush me off to bed, unless he's fallen asleep infront of the TV in which case I can stay up much later [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img].

I must come here more often than I realise, even my sister who is currently at university knows of my extensive visits here. I suspect that she thinks it's a fad and will soon go away, ah ha! I think not!

Lady_Galadriel 03-12-2003 06:16 PM

wanna know whats really scary? when your orchestra teacher informs the class that this years t-shirts are gonna sya "orch - dork" (meaning the abbreaviation for orchestra) on the back, you think she ment "orc - dork" and instantly dream of adding a little pic of an orc to the back.

InklingElf 03-12-2003 06:18 PM

eek! Let's hope that never crosses my teacher's mind...

Hirilaelin 03-12-2003 07:44 PM

I am homeschooled too, (have been for eight years!) and it is the life! You can get on the computer at anytime! Bwahahaha!!! But it's not so good when your three siblings are all clamouring to get their turn at the computer... And your mother takes away your computer privilages... And your are stuck with your family every...single...day! Not so good.

Another sign: You start calling yourself by the name of your current RPG character, and start refering to all the heroic battles you have taken part in.

Lush 03-12-2003 11:16 PM

Quote:

Lush, quite how bad must his puns have been?
*incredulity etc*
Oh they were about as bad as his attempts to woo me with his knowledge of English poetry. Anyone who confuses Yeats with Keats is, arghhh... *shuddering at the memory*

vanwalossien 03-13-2003 03:53 AM

I started to worry when I handed in a paper at school which said 'written by Vanwalossien' and my teacher didn't even have to look at the handwriting to see whose paper it was...

And I spend almost as much time on imdb as on the Downs, trying to find the answer to Eärendil's latest quote in the Actor's Quotes... And still I never find out...

Eärendil 03-13-2003 07:44 AM

Bwahahaha! That´s...funny. (Or scary, have I done it AGAIN?). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, here are two signs I came up with:
# When you realise you have copied and pasted loads and loads of BD-conversations, and printed them out.
# You can spell Marileangorifurnimaluim. Without cheating.

Hirilaelin 03-13-2003 02:52 PM

Not necessarily for BD, but LotR in general:

You start mistaking words. For instance, we drove by a sign, and I looked at it and screamed, "ELVES!!!!" My Mom looked over at me in a very strange way, and I looked closer. It said Elders.

or...

You are typing your e-mail address. At the end, you mistakenly type "ent" insted of "net."

or...

You can make anything have a LotR connection. For instance: You are flossing your teeth. As you floss, you begin to wonder what orcs would look like if they had access to floss and a toothbrush.

Sad to say, I have done all of these. Oh what we do for the things we love! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Manardariel 03-13-2003 03:03 PM

What I´m doing right now:
Hanging around in front of the screen, cursing á la The Osbournes, because you´re waiting from a PM, behaving like other people do when they´re waiting for a loveletter.

Lush 03-13-2003 04:19 PM

Quote:

Hanging around in front of the screen, cursing á la The Osbournes, because you´re waiting from a PM,
I've been there. *frowns at Squatter and Helen simultaneously*

Quote:

behaving like other people do when they´re waiting for a loveletter.
Oh, sometimes there's hardly any difference between a Barrow-Downs PM and a loveletter. Rimbaud ought to testify. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Salix 03-13-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

You begin accidentally answering your friends in what Elvish you know.
Well, on Saturdays, I go somewhere and there s a signup sheet that people put quotes on, and 9 out of 10 times I put Elvish. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Here is my provision for ths topic.
*After convincing you sibling(s) to join, they become so afraid of you they make their friends join.*

Afterthought-Maybe I should try the RPG's. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

*When grabbing something to eat you wonder if you have some lembas.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Salix ]

Hirilaelin 03-13-2003 08:08 PM

Quote:

*After convincing you sibling(s) to join, they become so afraid of you they make their friends join.*
I'm working on it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

HerenIstarion 03-14-2003 12:28 AM

I can spell Marileangorifurnimaluim too, hehe

edit: just noticed - nice firework there, Hirilaelin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Firework ppl, unite!

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Hirilaelin 03-14-2003 10:40 PM

Well, I must credit the person who inspired me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Maiden of the Sky 03-15-2003 01:12 AM

This is so weird, I can relate with so many of these things! Its almost scary! Lets see.. what else:

Every night you write notes on your RPG character, rather than reading your wider reading assignment book which is due in 2 weeks

First thing you do when you get home is check BD

Yes, I'm proud to say, I'm Obssessed!

Amanaduial the archer 03-15-2003 09:47 AM

Quote:

Even though you´re REALLY sick and can basically think, you drag yourself in front of your computer and say to yourself: "I am not dizzy. I will not through up. I will write an RPG post!"
Nigimph...

-Going on when your parents are out on a Saturday night, and your sisters are elsewhere, and staying on til, ooh, about 4 in the morning? Then realising Church Choir practise is in 4 and a half hours....lucky Brinniel, going to Church at 10:00... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-When truly bored, playing name games with the downs and seeing whether eg. you can think of a member of the downs, or an RP character etc, for every letter of the alphabet.

-At lunchtimes, and in lessons (mainly latin I think), instead of working, drawing up a new avatar...

I promise you that is not me. The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob, hang your head in shame...nah, tis a very cool avatar.

Elanor 03-15-2003 02:57 PM

I like your new sig HerenIstarion!