The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nominations for Best Nicks! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4488)

Marileangorifurnimaluim 01-12-2003 06:49 PM

Nominations for Best Nicks!

This thread is begun in honor of the funniest nickname I've seen on the Downs (and my first nomination).. drumroll please:

The Saucepan Man.

-Maril [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 01-12-2003 07:06 PM

I think burrahobbit is a winner!

Lindolirian 01-12-2003 07:35 PM

Well, since you are too nice to nominate yourself, I'll do it for you, since you have the coolest name: Marileangorifurnimaluim!!! and it so long too....

Beren87 01-12-2003 07:43 PM

That's why we call her Maril [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I would like to nominate Squatter of Amon Rudh, and I think it's quite obvious why.

Gorwingel 01-12-2003 08:02 PM

I would have to say the best one is, I think this one person with the nickname of Fuzzy Purple Chainsaw (I think, please correct me if I am wrong) and another good one is Doug* Platypus (I just enjoy it)

Beren87 01-12-2003 08:25 PM

OH, and another! Phil the Balrog, when I first heard that I nearly fell off my chair laughing so hard.

Pallando B.C 01-12-2003 08:37 PM

I've always though Child of the 7th Age was original.

The Saucepan Man 01-12-2003 09:15 PM

Maril (if I may call you that), I am honoured to be nominated. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There are so many great nicknames here, I shall have to ponder awhile and return anon.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 01-12-2003 10:20 PM

I enjoy Skippy the Nazgul.

onewhitetree 01-12-2003 11:01 PM

It has been far too long since MrOogieBoogieMan blessed the forum with the hilarity of his presence.

Susan Delgado 01-12-2003 11:34 PM

I was also going to mention Skippy the Nazgul [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bill Ferny 01-12-2003 11:49 PM

Bill Ferny... Kiss my butt, forum.

No, seriously, Saucepan Man is the Man, though Squater was the first nick on the forum to draw a smile to my face.

Maikadilwen 01-13-2003 04:49 AM

Well, I've encountered a few I find rather funny.
Such as: willkill4food , Deathwail, kuckimonster, NicktheOrc, Pukelman, Keneldil the Polka-dot and EnglishCountrySide.

You just can't help but smile. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]

doug*platypus 01-13-2003 05:03 AM

Oh, you comedians. Must every nick be a jest??

Kalimac is one of the finest nicks I've seen. It's a character homage, but not a blatant or overused one. And it contains neither the word "Orly" nor the word "hot". Shine on you crazy Candle.

Also, big ups to the sheer magnificence, power and terror that the name The Barrow Wight conveys on a site called the Barrow Downs. Even with that duck thingy.

Alkanoonion 01-13-2003 06:29 AM

I like Grey Fool
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Maikadilwen 01-13-2003 08:13 AM

Quote:

Even with that duck thingy.
I'ts Opus! It's a penguin! It rocks!

Marileangorifurnimaluim 01-13-2003 03:59 PM

There is a certain boldness to calling oneself Bill Ferny that I admire. I was genuinely taken aback when I first spotted it. I'm waiting for someone to call themselves Otho Sackville-Baggins next.

I was thinking of Kalimac, too.

I considered nominating The Barrow-Wight, but I feared the red lipstick marks on his bum might cause him trouble at home. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the Nomination, by the way. I'd take the prize for the most unpronouceable nick, perhaps.

-Maril

Sapphire_Flame 01-13-2003 05:02 PM

NicktheOrc, Phil the Balrog, and Skippy the Nazgul (heehee) are all really good, but my first vote would have to be for Squatter of Amon Rudh.

Diamond18 01-13-2003 05:17 PM

No one has mentioned Lush. An amazing oversight. For shame.

And the real findorfin is rather clever.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Bźthberry 01-13-2003 05:26 PM

There was a previous thread on our top three favourite nicks where Lush figured predominantly. And Squatter and the clever entish name of Maril.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lush 01-13-2003 05:41 PM

Quote:

There was a previous thread on our top three favourite nicks where Lush figured predominantly. And Squatter and the clever entish name of Maril....
There was? *Scratches head*

Thanks for the nominations, but for my part, I choose burrahobbit, because, well, you know....He'd kick my a** if I didn't nominate him. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 01-13-2003 11:44 PM

The previous thread was calledTop three favorite .

Marileangorifurnimaluim 01-14-2003 03:01 AM

Wha-? Where? Oh, well no wonder. It was in the Novices and Newcomers.

Neferchoirwen 01-14-2003 05:35 AM

Welcome to the Downs, Saucepan Man!

That was a great nick, and Maril's ain't that bad either [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]

dragoneyes 01-14-2003 12:14 PM

I quite like anything but Arwen

Merri 01-14-2003 03:16 PM

I like . . . littlemanpoet, and fluffypurplechainsaw, and . . . and . . . I don't know why, but gollum*elf*pup just tickles me for some reason (I hope I got the name right). I also think dragoneyes is a pretty cool name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and who could forget burrahobbit? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[EDIT]I also forgot The Rip Designs Dude, and Inderjit Sanghera.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]

dragoneyes 01-14-2003 04:55 PM

Wow, I've been noticed. Thankyou Merri!

a good idea at the time always reminds me why I do half the things I do, I had to nominate them.

Diamond18 01-14-2003 06:05 PM

Quote:

Shine on you crazy Candle.
Heeeeeey, I just saw a Pink Floyd CD today and realized that you replaced my name. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] And I'm an obscure character name from the appendix, too. And I'm certainly crazy, as this post proves.

Aylwen Dreamsong 01-14-2003 06:57 PM

Quote:

...anything but Arwen
Oh, I like that one! I also like Maril's a lot, though I know that I wouldn't be able to say it five times fast.

Aylwen

The Saucepan Man 01-14-2003 07:36 PM

My vote goes to Lush. A name denoting both luxuriance and a fondness for fine beverages is a fine name indeed. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and I think a special mention is in order for littlemanpoet for his inspired title: Bard Oder [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh 01-15-2003 05:43 AM

Thanks to all those who nominated my nick. Sadly I have no nominations that haven't already appeared, so I'll just have to second all of them.

Sharkū 01-15-2003 08:41 AM

Humbug.

Best nick ever on here was by far
PM and ask for it.

VanimaEdhel 01-15-2003 10:11 AM

I recently saw (an have been speaking to) an Armani_Elf who, quite actually, had no idea that was what they called Orlando Bloom until after that was his screenname. I thought that was pretty coincidental. His middle name, apparently, is Armani (good choice by his parents, I must say), so that's how it figures in. That is why I nominate him: for the sheer brilliance of coincidence.

EDIT: Ooo: happy 1800th post to me...just noticed that...

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]

Beren87 01-15-2003 03:47 PM

Is there someplace with a complete member's list? such as one the site...? I know Alkoonian is working on one, but I thought perhaps there would be on that the UBB compiled itself...

Wow Saucepan man, I thought that was a toilet when I opened the page. Only at second glance did I notice it was a lava lamp.. o_O

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]

The Saucepan Man 01-16-2003 01:01 PM

Quote:

Wow Saucepan man, I thought that was a toilet when I opened the page.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I see what you mean. Now ... what would that say about me?

It is a bit low res isn't it? Looked better when I first found it.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Lush 01-16-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

My vote goes to Lush. A name denoting both luxuriance and a fondness for fine beverages is a fine name indeed.
Thank you, mein Schatzchen. If you're ever in close proximity to Duke University any time during the school year, stop by, and we will go only to the best parties.

LePetitChoux definitely gets a vote from me, as does the Saucepan Man himself, and Squatter & Maril by default.

Diamond18 01-16-2003 01:27 PM

Estelyn Telcontar and Tigerlily Gamgee are two names that just sing.

tom bombariffic makes me smile.

And I also like Mornie Alantiė because it's pretty and I liked that part of the song. Funny thing is I can't remember ever reading a post by her. I've just seen the name among the members online.

Then there was Tower of Moon and Shadow. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Oh! I almost forgot Sword Maiden Of The Shire. I do so love a paradox.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

ElentariGreenleaf 01-16-2003 01:43 PM

oh man... why'd i have to go pick a dull name. Well. I'm going to start a Best Sigs thread!

GO DRAGONEYES! HEHEHE! I'll nominate:

LePetitChoux cause it means the small cabbages. According to dragoneyes its a nice thing to be called in France.

Marileangorifurnimaluim 01-16-2003 02:24 PM

Oh dear, Saucepan Man, call the plumber! Your toilet is backing up.

Yeah, took me a minute to figure out that is a lavalamp. It is a lavalamp, isn't it? (Boy this is like figuring out a kid's drawings. "So Timmy, that's an excellent... yes, it's great.")

-Maril

The Saucepan Man 01-16-2003 08:35 PM

Quote:

If you're ever in close proximity to Duke University any time during the school year, stop by, and we will go only to the best parties.
Why, thank you, Lush, but I fear my student partying days are long gone *sigh* [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:

Oh dear, Saucepan Man, call the plumber! Your toilet is backing up.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Probably the result of too many postings!

Bach to the subject at hand, I saw the name
ElvenSunSet9 earlier today, which I kind of like. It puts me in mind of a series of modern paitings in a gallery themed on Elven Sunsets of which this is #9. Or perhaps an experimental track by John Lennon fit only to be tacked to the end of the White Album.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]