The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What are you going to be for Halloween? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5408)

Faye Took 10-06-2002 07:57 PM

What are you going to be for Halloween?

I probably am going to be a Hobbit or a Ringwraith would be cool! I was at a lotr freak party with my friends and we dressed up as our RPG characters and I wanted to have hairy hobbit feet! So I got some brown yarn out and glued it on my feet with a glue stick. IT WAS SO FUn and funny! Try it, it works!

Artanis 10-06-2002 07:59 PM

I'm a Nazgul all the way! My dad has an old acedemic robe that I can use, I am making a hood... Think of all the little kids I can scare... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Faye Took 10-06-2002 08:00 PM

MUWAHAHAHA! That would be fun going around and chaseing kids yelling "GIVE UP THE HALF-LING SHE ELF!"

The Fifth 10-06-2002 09:58 PM

I am going to be a Ringwraith for Halloween, of course. Somewhere in a box (it has been around 10 months since I moved here and we still haven't unpacked everything) lurks the old ragged, tattered black robes from my old Scream costume. I'm pretty sure it comes with a hood so I will use that.

Perhaps I can wear all black underneath; last time I checked, those robes were pretty thin-looking. Perhaps I can paint my face black, make the hood bigger, and jump in a mud puddle to give the costume the rugged and muddy effect all of the wraith-girls swoon for. Maybe I can go so far as to convince my mother to let me borrow a horse.

It WOULD be quite fun to gallop about, brandishing a plastic sword, and hissing, "Shire? Baggins?" in a creepy voice. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: The Fifth ]

Artanis 10-07-2002 02:37 PM

Just remember, you are not yourself for the night, and a Nazgul really would TP those houses... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Have fun, Kiddies!

Losthuniel 10-07-2002 04:03 PM

ELVES ALL THE WAY! sorry. Rossiel, Naur, our mutual friend, and I are all being elves.we found these great ears, even though they are a bit big. does anyone have any good patterns for dresses?

gollum*elf*pup 10-07-2002 04:09 PM

I will either be and elf or a ringwraith if I can get a costume in time and if I can afford it. Uhh...

Kyla Worden 10-07-2002 04:20 PM

Hey all... I was thinking of being aN Elf of a Nazgul for Halloween. Think of the fun possibilities...scaring little children..hehehe...I love Halloween..it is the best holiday we have. I will probly go buy some fabric and **Attempt** to make my Costume..hehe lotz of fun [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Aradaewen 10-07-2002 06:16 PM

hey Faye! I'm gonna be an elf, if I can find fake ears. I went to the Rennesiance (sp?) fair yesterday and got a mini-crown called a circlet. It's an elven-drop. (no, really! that's what its called!) and I'm wearing it for Halloween. Maybe I'll be an elven archer.... how do I look in green? *holds up a loose forest-green tunic shirt for Faye to see*

Faye Took 10-07-2002 08:30 PM

Sexy! Lol hey what does sp? mean?

Aradaewen 10-08-2002 03:39 PM

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It means did I spell that right? I just need fake ears and knee-high boots. *musing* I wonder if Joy has any...

Raefindel 10-08-2002 03:57 PM

Don't forget to check the second-hand stores, guys, it really helps the budget.

Vala 10-09-2002 12:26 AM

i am going to be my own character. she is half elf half hobbit....lol [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] anyways....it could happen

Ithaeliel 10-09-2002 04:05 PM

Quote:

ELVES ALL THE WAY!
YEEEEAAAAAHHH!!!!!

I'm going to try and make the prosthetic ears, too.

My costume is ivory satin with white chiffn sleeves & drape. It's the same pattern Nevfeniel is using.

Antien 10-10-2002 11:49 AM

I'm going to be a ringwraith, if my mom will make the costume. she makes all my costumes.
And i can almost do a ringwraith scream. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Antien 10-10-2002 11:53 AM

Salix is being an elf. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] wreck her prosthetic ears! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ¿

Losthuniel 10-10-2002 02:49 PM

Ith, what pattern is that?

Nevfeniel 10-10-2002 03:26 PM

This one:
(The one with the big sleeves)
http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9891/9891.jpg
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]

Lady_Galadriel 10-10-2002 05:04 PM

Hey! Awsome! I got that pattern too, butIm not using it... Im gonna be a ringwraith! allready have the costume, and a black plain hood thing, and a cape, and a plastic sward, but i need boots. reall big clinky ones with lots of chains on them... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] *wonders if dom will let her borrow them* (hint. hint) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Im gonna run around and screech at all the frodo lok alikes and ask for the one ring. And mysteriously show up behind people and creepily wisper "shire, baggins" and that famous quote "give up the hafling she elf!!!
ooohhh i cant wait! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel 10-10-2002 05:14 PM

I'm being Galadriel. I have the clothing and the jewelry, I just need the ears!

People have been telling me I should be Galadriel for the longest time, so: I'm finally taking them up on it!

Eruwen 10-10-2002 05:33 PM

Well, I'm trying to put together an Elf costume, but I'm not having much luck. I might be going to Michaels tomorrow and see if they have any fake ears. But as for the costume costume, I'm still working on it. I might have it by Halloween. maybe.

Losthuniel 10-10-2002 05:40 PM

oooooooh. pwetty! I want! thanks Nev, Ith.

EDIT: If it does not seem rude, how much did it cost you to make your dresses? ($ US)

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]

Artanis 10-10-2002 07:30 PM

YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYAY [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I got the robe from my dad and it is awesome! I just need to make the sword and hood now! This is gonna be so cool! Also, the robe is so big, I can sneak out some TP and shaving cream real easy! I am gonna have so much fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Eruialiwen 10-10-2002 08:52 PM

Being a Ringwraith would be awesome!!!! I guess I'll go with being an Elf [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I love the dress pattern!!!!! I'd like to be an Elven archer, but I want my bow and quiver [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] And of course gotta do my hair pulled back of sorts, with braids... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And my ears look pointy, so...*grin*

Nevfeniel 10-10-2002 09:55 PM

Quote:

how much did it cost you to make your dresses? ($ US)
I just asked my mom, but unfortunately, they "haven't discussed it" yet. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
But anyhoo. . .
To those who want pointy ears, here's a link to a site that I have given many times; it gives step-by-step instructions on how to make your own pointy gelatin ears.
WARNING
These instructions include making a plaster cast of your ears before you make the actual gelatin ear and this could/probably will get messy!

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood 10-10-2002 10:13 PM

Kewl!!! I'll need to use that! Yeah, I was one of the people who attended the Lord of the Rings freak party with Faye! I wore an elegant dress type elf thing. So I just need to get pointy ears and straighten my hair(It's curly and I hate it!). Faye looked like a really good hobbit! She fits the part perfectly!

Losthuniel 10-11-2002 07:09 AM

Ungh. My mom refuses to pay for my "silly obsessions" (while she absolutly MUST get that new designer skirt). I probably have enough money (I've been saving all summer, and i have my bank account to fall back on)

Faye Took 10-11-2002 07:21 AM

Aww shucks Thengise! You fitted well too. I want the dress damn it!

Brinniel 10-11-2002 05:52 PM

I'm using that pattern too, Nev. Except I hope to use the one on the left. But the instructions say to use the fabric Jacquard, which is expensive. The only cheap Jacquard I found was turquoise. Would turqoise be weird for an elven costume? (It's pretty bright.) Please let me know.

Lady_Báin 10-12-2002 12:44 PM

I am going to be Maia, the half dwarf half elf chick! yay! i have (and i've stated this many a time) a red velvet cloak with The Gates of Moria beaded on the back wich i sewed myself, but i spent so much time on it that i don't even have a dress!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

turquoise for an elf has both good and bad qualities. turquoise is a very elf-like color but i don't know if you'll want to be running around in a turquoise dress alll halloween [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Elenna 10-12-2002 02:21 PM

I actually have an elf costume my mommy made me - she's a sewing genius! It was originally intended to be a Juliet costume, but it's white, with big sleeves and gold trim. It has a maroon velvet bodice and a cape of maroon "velvet" (the real thing's expensive!) with roses embossed on it.

VanimaEdhel 10-13-2002 03:40 PM

I found ears! Okay, y'all: just go to a costume store and look for "little space ears". They look like Elf ears. And pick up stuff to glue them on with, of course, and maybe some sort of makeup to change them to match your skin color. But they look really real! I'll have to take a picture and somehow put it in here to show you guys after I'm done with Halloween!

Marillanna Sarnie 10-13-2002 05:58 PM

I need some suggestions! I want to be Gollum for Halloween! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . I'm thinking i'll dress in all black, but i'll paint my face and hands silver (I found some cool silver cream for that!) to make it complete, i'll get a ring, and obsess over it! What do you think? I'm not sure about the silver face and hands... would they seem Gollum-like? Give me some suggestions if you have them! Thanks!

Wow! I hope I run into some ringwraiths! I could have some real fun taunting them with my ring.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] heehee! Haloween is going to be great!

Faye Took 10-13-2002 07:16 PM

Hmm Gollum seems like a difficult project. You should carry a fake fish around to a hit little kids with it and be like 'Have you seens my prrrreeeesssiiiooouuuss?' MUWAHAHAHAH evil [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] !

Losthuniel 10-14-2002 07:26 AM

Fabricland has a sale on fake satin right now (do you get Fabricland in the US?)The materials for my costume cost exactly $47.00 (CAN). The trouble is, I can't sew, so I;m wheedling my grandmother in to making it.
MY Mother, on the otgher hand is driving me crazy. she describes my costume as.... BRIDAL ELF!!! OUTRAGE! grrrrrrrrrr

VanimaEdhel 10-14-2002 02:17 PM

Question: is there somewhere that any of you know of (I live in New York) where I might find Nenya for a reasonable price? Because I don't have $190 to spend on a ring...well: yes I do, but I'm not willing to spend it because I would have no money after buying it...

I was thinking more...along the lines of $50 or cheaper? I've been looking in every costume store I pass (dragging my mom in too), but no one has any rings (strangely enough)...

Okay: I have to officially say: costume stores scare me to death. All the robots of monsters moving around every turn...I spend the whole time clinging to whatever is nearest in fear...

Robin Headstrong 10-14-2002 02:48 PM

I was thinking of going as a Hobbit, maybe Sam, even though I'm a girl and I'm 5'5" tall. I've got this old hand-me-down vest that looks kinda like Sam's, only I lost it- like I do with a lot of stuff. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
I sorta had second thoughts about going as a hobbit... You see, up here in Pennsylvania we're starting to have cold evenings, which means I might have very blue feet if I go barefoot! But after seeing how to make hobbit-feet in the site Nev provided (thank you soooo much!!), I might be going out as a halfling.

Brinniel 10-16-2002 05:26 PM

I'm so happy! On Saturday, I found the perfect fabric. It's light green and cream colored with a dark forest green tie around the waist. Then I'm going to make my own headress with wire and buy hair extensions. The only problem I have is the ears. I might not be able to find the supplies to make them, and then if I do, I will probably end up making them incorrectly. I might have to buy ears, which is unfortunate because the ears at the costume shop look like hobbit ears (they're big).

I do have a question. WHAT DO I DO WITH SHOES? No one seems to know what type of shoes the elves wear. And I don't think I should go barefoot. I'm going to a dance and I don't want to get stepped on!

Coral 10-16-2002 05:49 PM

I'm going to be Hannibal's evil sister. Very cool in my opinion

Durelin 10-16-2002 06:06 PM

Im gonna be a killer rabbit! No seriously I guess Im gonna be an elf I mean I've already got the kind of hair! You should know Coral! I could be Galadriel with my hair just crimp it and maybe lighten it some. And Im tall and Ive got some great ideas, might as well. A 1st grader I know says he's gonna be Bilbo and he's gonna dye his hair white! hehe!
(Coral-you remember Greg dont you-little 1st grader!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]