The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   WW XXIX Dor-en-Gaur (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13602)

Nogrod 01-25-2007 03:03 PM

WW XXIX Dor-en-Gaur

NB. All persons not known or revealed in any of the narrations will be referred to as a "he". So there is no hint whatsoever concerning the sex of any particular person having a role in the narrations.

~***~

A shadowy beast, almost darker than the night surrounding it ran through the woods and fields of Taur-nu-Fuin silencing every creature around on it’s way. It was a Gaur of Sauron and it had a mission.

The Eagles glided downwards from the high altitudes they had been travelling over Ered Gorgoroth. Every one of them was carrying a sword that shone in the light of the full moon above the clouds. They were searching for the Gaur.

The paths of these creatures seemed to be converging on the same spot: a small, almost insignificant village in the vicinity of Tarn Aeluin. Many lights were lit in the village that night by the villagers who couldn’t sleep. The village had been restless for a long time already as so many of the sons and husbands had been taken off to the war up North. But tonight there was a restlesness of a different sort. It moved from house to house as the beasts were approaching.

The Gaur sensed the Eagles and hastened it’s pace. It had to reach the village first.

The Eagles felt the presence of the servant of Sauron and rushed forwards, now sure of their target, shrieking as they glided downwards.

The Gaur had already passed a few farmsteads as it halted in front of a house it felt was the right one. It listened carefully and sensed around to be sure. The Eagles were yet far enough and the villager living in the house was not inside. Quietly it sneaked forwards, now seeing and hearing what it had been waiting for. The villager was coming from around the corner with a small lamp in his hand. He seemed to be nervous and tried to whistle a tune to make himself feel more secure.

Before he had time to realise what happened the sharp teeth penetrated the thin flesh of his throat. The pain was horrible. There had been nothing, nothing even in his wildest nightmares that could have surpassed the agony the bite of the Gaur inflicted. The will and the mind of the villager were dimming and getting fainter. But there was a new voice there. The voice of the Master.

The Gaur slipped away from the yard and continued towards the center of the village. A loud shriek came down from high up the sky. Suddenly there felt to be movement everywhere.

One villager had been visiting another earlier in the evening. As the restlessness of the night had crept in they had decided that the visitor should stay over that night. To their misfortune they had not been able to sleep and now opened the door to get a look at the heavens to see what had caused the noise. The Gaur was on them in a flash. The two villagers sensed the onrushing beast early enough to try and turn around from the door but had no chance of actually making the turn.

But just as the Gaur leaped on them the first Eagle dashed down with a shriek that was now so loud as to freeze everyone miles around. No one dared to open their eyes, neither to look outside from their homes. But everyone was awake in the village now just hearing the noise of the battle been played out in their village.

There was biting, clawing, howling and crawling and shrieking. The Gaur had to concentrate on defending itself so it only managed to hastily snap at the throats of the two villagers who had already been stunned by fear and shock. Eventually it had to retreat as it was alone against three giant Eagles. The Eagles followed it but the Gaur had a good cover running under the trees and between the houses, spaces too tight for the Eagles to attack it.

The Eagles pulled up and circled a few rounds over the village. Then as from a common consent shared without a word or gesture they all plunged down, every one of them landing beside one villager’s house.

“This is a sword of the order of Thorondor. Even a Gaur will be afraid of it and pull back when seeing one. And a Gaur indeed has infected your village. It will now be your task to defend those of you who are innocent during the nights. Good luck to you villager and pick the ones you defend wisely!” That was the message the Eagles told the frightful villagers who hid inside their homes and waited for the worst. After leaving the swords in front of the doors the Eagles pulled up again, now already looking at the scent of the Gaur.

They felt it’s tracks soon enough. Two of the Eagles took after it but the third one made yet one more plunge to the village.

It landed beside yet another house and knocked the door with its beak. It had sensed that in this house there lived a brave villager and it was right. The villager opened the door carefully, ashtonised to face a giant Eagle. The great Eagle whispered something into his ear and then pulled a golden dagger from it’s feathers and gave it to the confused villager. With a gracious nod it took to it’s wings and went after it’s friends.

PLEASE NOTE: Do not post to this thread yet... Game starting here, soon...

Nogrod 01-26-2007 03:47 PM

Rules

Basics:

Roles:
There are three werewolves to kill the villagers.
There are three rangers to defend the villagers.
There are three others with some specialities (which will be hinted at / revealed in the narrations).
There are ten ordinary villagers trying to get rid of the werewolves.

Winning:
The villagers win when all the werewolves are dead.
The werewolves win when their number equals the number of villagers.

Some important rules:

- The deadline is 10 PM GMT by the official World Clock.
- The game will start with a Night phase on Sunday 28th.

- Everyone has a choice of retracting her/his vote once each Day for whatever reason.

- There will be no double-lynchings.
- If there's a tie, the person reaching the highest vote first is lynched.

- Players who don’t post or fail to vote in two days in a row will be removed from the game.
- Exceptions to this rule may be negotiated with the Mod in advance of the absence (in PM), but that will naturally not give anyone an immunity from lynching or a Nightly kill during the absence.

Miscellanious rules and recommendations:

- All discussion about RL hindrances etc. should take place in the admin thread, which I hope all the players will check regularly.
- The roles will be revealed upon death.
- There will be no clues to the sex of different persons in their roles in the Nightly narrations. All unknowns will be referred to as “he”.
- Editing is allowed to correct horrendous spelling/grammar mistakes, to go back and bold a vote or to mark cross-posts: otherwise editing is strongly discouraged.
- Bolding the names of your fellowplayers in your posts is strongly encouraged.
- The votes should be cast as usual: on a separate line, bolded, ++ in the beginning when giving or -- when retracting a vote.
- All players should be in the Invisible Mode.
- The mod will answer any questions you have by PM – within the limits he sees fit.

Nb. These rules are subject to change as long as Day1 begins. If you think a rule is bad or incomprehensible - or if you think an important ruling is missing, please raise the issue in the admin thread.

Nogrod 01-29-2007 03:38 PM

Celuien the Innkeeper was astonished to meet her customer up that early. The weird man who called himself Nogrod came to the breakfast at the usual time and had awaken her, like nothing had happened last night!

“Oh ya mate? How onearth did ya sleep last nite?” she asked him puzzledly, trying to get awake.

“In fact I didn’t, but anyhow I need a decent breakfast before a long ride”, Nogrod answered and sat down to the table that had become his regular one during the week he had stayed in the village, the one beside the windows facing east from where the sun was shining. The dawn was already turning into a full day and all the nature was already up and awake around the village that still felt like being in a dream.

“Hey Mith, get on with it, Noggie here wishes his breakfast!” Celuien shouted to the kitchen and then turned to the man again. “So you’re leavin, aye? Now whassup, stranger?”

Nogrod looked out from the window and only slowly turned his head to meet the questioning eyes of the innkeeper.

“Well, my task is done and I need to follow the tracks. My humble assistance may be needed in the next village”, he fell silent for a while looking like he was insecure about something. The Innkeeper waited for him partly from politeness but also because she had nothing to say to this awkward stranger she barely knew.

“Maybe we should wait for the others to come in? They will come here anyhow, now don’t they?” he said and turned away from the Innkeeper, gazing again out of the window like deep in thought.

“I su’pose...” Celuien answered hesitatingly and went to the kitchen to help her Frivolous Serving-Wench with the bacon, eggs and tomatoes.

Slowly people started to gather to the Inn. The stranger had his breakfast at his table as the villagers milled around the serving desk. The air was thick with questions. What had happened last night? Was everyone safe and sound? Was someone missing? What was this all about? What were those noises? The shrieks? The howling? What was that bone-freezing fear they had experienced? Who had had the worst experiences? Were there any tidings from the war? Did this relate to it in any way?

“Maybe we’ll ask the stranger?” said Eiliniel’s younger brother Macalaure suddenly as the debate was getting heated. All turned to look at the lonely table by the window and everyone noticed Nogrod’s poorly acted detachedness as he forked the last piece of bacon into his mouth and then wiped his mouth clean with the cotton cloth, still chewing. He had clearly been waiting for that suggestion to come his way. Macalaure had been right again.

“Maybe you should”, he said calmly as he had swallowed. “I don’t have much time as I need to be on my way anyhow. So before I go I need to tell you all that I know of this”. With that he laid the cloth to the table and coughed to clear his throat.

“The war is everywhere. The struggle between the good and the evil... It’s not only in the actual battlefield. Morgoth has many ways.” He glanced at the villagers calmingly after the harsh name he had just uttered. “One of them is his puppet who creates a lots of sorrow, his servant called Sauron. A Gaur of his visited this village last night. That was the evil you sensed.” Nogrod said slowly, eying the villagers.

“I am a humble servant of the order of Thorondor and my task is to abide in villages around the area of threat, before anything happens. The milk has been spilled already here and my presence would be of no further use to you anyhow. I admit I have failed you as I couldn’t do more. I should have.” He looked at the villagers gathered around the desk this time with pity in his eyes. “I’m sorry”.

“But the Eagles made it almost in time and have now armed you. That was part of the hassle last night. Some of you know very well how they helped you. Trust me, you are well armed against the dark forces here. Just lynch the baddies and everything will be allright”. He tried hard to sound confident.

Rune the Moonshiner asked him the thought most of the villagers were going through in their minds. “What’s it we’re supposed to deal with here then, stranger?”

Nogrod rose up from his chair and pushed it forwards. “There are three werewolves among you. Two of them may be a bit weaker than the third... I don’t know. That was all the great Eagle could tell me before they left”. He looked at the villagers with a professional compassion in his eyes. “But three of you have been armed with swords that make those beasts back away. And one of you possesses a golden dagger. As I said, I believe you’re well armed to face this evil by yourselves now.”

With that he wiped his hands clean with the cloth and started to the door. But the villagers were not going to let him slip away that easily, all calling for answers to things they had been thinking.

“There may be things I don’t know of and they may help you or get you into deeper trouble, that seems to be the order of things ”, he said as he tried to get to the doorway “Sorry, my masters command me to get off from here. There are other villages too...” But the villagers were pressing on him, not allowing him to leave that easily. He looked at the villagers once more, now clearly concerned.

Gil-Galad, the Confused Philosopher opened his mouth for all of them. “You claim to know that you don’t know something but still you rush into telling us that it might harm us, or not. Now be square, logical and argumentative, stranger. What d’ya mean? What are we to do?”

Nogrod looked at the philosopher and frowned “Well, I thought I would hear that question. I was coming to it.” he said, pushing towards the door as he spoke.

“I have not been here only to tell you what happened last night. I have been observing you as a village the week I’ve spent with you”, he said, concentrating on his words now.

“So think of it yourselves first. Who is it among you that you’re afraid of now as you know that three of you have been changed into monsters?” That sentence was like unleashing a beast in the small inn. Everyone started looking around concernedly. It was clear that most pairs of fearful eyes were nailed on Anguirel the Merry, the Town Fletcher Roa and the Tall Doctor Mormegil. It looked like a space was opening around the three of them.

Nogrod looked at the anguished villagers from the doorway where he had managed to slip himself in the overall confusion and continued: “Think also, if there are some people you would really wish to be on your side then?” Quite a many still looked half-frighteningly at the trio but most were soon changing their gazes towards the Serious Jester Boromir and Eomer the Beekeeper who were leaning on the other end of the desk together.

Macalaure, Eiliniel’s Younger Brother and Lommy the Ugly Little Shepherdess also realised to be surrounded by people who felt themselves more safe around them. It seemed that people weren’t afraid of them and wished them to be on their side.

“You see? You have pretty strong ideas about you others, now don’t you? I guess you all have your history in here to carry with you, but think for a moment before you go on lynching each other on the basis of old feuds or mishaps. You’re dealing with werewolves here, not with your old misgivings.” With that Nogrod let his eyes wander around the Inn until they spotted Farael, the Moose Tamer. “Now what has he done to you my good people to earn only distrust from you others? Or how about Kath, your Weaver then? Or this Confused Philosopher? Do you think these people will automatically turn into werewolves just because you don’t trust them in the first place?”

Oddly enough, when the word distrust was mentioned, a lot of the villagers turned to look at the Beekeeper again. The Tall Doctor had his fair share of the glances too.

“I would also like to remind you my friends,” Nogrod continued “that as I have followed your life and discussed with most of you here at the Inn, I must say that you’re quick to let some of you just slip away from your thoughts. The perfect case being that of Volo, your Cryptic Lense Grinder here, or somewhat also the Augur Durelin, or Rikae the Superstitious Mathematician. You barely mention them in your discussions, not to back them nor to suspect them. Don’t forget anyone. You can’t afford it. Not even not checking this mostly pleasent character of your Innkeeper Celuien or others like her, I mean Eiliniel the Village Idiot, the Homeless Waif, the Page Girl, the Moonshiner... What I mean is, there are more of those you don’t suspect or remember to look at to begin with than those who are on everyone’s minds from the very beginning.”

The people looked baffled and distressed.

“Okay. I’ll make an auguration myself. You’ll lynch the Moose Tamer, the Philosopher and the Weaver first, then you brave yourselves to lynch those you’re really afraid of; Gorlim's Lighthearted Brother, the Fletcher and the Tall Doctor. That is unless the wolves won’t aid you in these, of course. And in the end, if the wolves won’t destroy this unconscious plan of your shared sentiments, there will be the Mathematician, the Ugly Shepherdess, the Cryptic Lense Grinder, Eiliniel’s brother and this Frivolous Serving Wench making the last stand. Whether that will save you I can’t tell. But anyhow, good luck to you and hold the forces of evil back!”

With that he turned around and took out from the door, leaving the villagers into the Inn. Some of them were smiling inwardly, some of them were understanding more than the others, and the rest were being just even more confused.

The Village:
Durelin - The Village Augur
Rikae - A Superstitious Mathematician
Thinlómien - An Ugly Little Shepherdess
Volo – A Cryptic Lense Grinder
Kath - A Weawer
Macalaure- Eiliniel's Witty Younger Brother Who's Always Right
Rune son of Bjarne - A Moonshiner
Boromir88 - The Serious Jester
Mithalwen - A Frivolous Serving-Wench
Lalwendë - Eiliniel, A Retired Village Idiot
Farael – A Moose Tamer
Anguirel - Gorlim's Lighthearted Brother, Anguirel the Merry
Mormegil – The Tall Doctor
Celuien - The Innkeeper
Firefoot - A Homeless Waif
Eomer of the Rohirrim - A Beekeeper
Gil-Galad - A Confused Philosopher
Roa_Aoife - The Town Fletcher

DAY1 has started.

Wolves, please stop PM'ing. All villagers, get on to it.

Firefoot 01-29-2007 04:36 PM

Well, someone's got to break the ice.

Stunning news, isn't it? Never have I been so envious of the rest of you, living in your nice houses, while I'm out here and exposed at night. Oh dear me. Though it seems that most of you have forgotten about me anyway. That's right. Forget about the poor homeless waif. Perhaps I should be thankful, though; it's better than being distrusted from the start.

So who's suspicious...? Come forth, I say. Let's get ourselves a wolf today. (Hey, that rhymed.) First off, I think that Lommy and Mac ought not to be trusted, just because everyone does.

Gil-Galad 01-29-2007 04:43 PM

wow... okay lets start on with firefoots bandwagon and say Lommy and Mac are suspicous... then cause i jsut said that people are going to think "hye, that gil-agald may be covering himself up" but if i was knowing that by saying this would put suspicion on me wouldn't i not post what i just said? or maybe i can over-step this logic by stating this, then stating this to make myself safe because it is al lvery confusing... don't you hate it when logic contradicts itself hmmmm?

Celuien 01-29-2007 04:54 PM

Oh dear, Firefoot. There was always shelter in the inn for those as were willin' to do some chores t'earn their keep. Ye'd have been most welcome anytime.

All I can say is that I can't trust anyone. But if there's anyone I really don't trust, it'd have t'be that moonshiner Rune. Tries to steal me business, he does, with that false brew of his. :p

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 04:56 PM

I never trust Mac. . . .I always think him a lynch candidate, nut of course so are you Gil.

But yeah lets get the talking going. . . dunno what to say really, but I will be here for some hours.

Rikae 01-29-2007 05:01 PM

Firefoot, ya know, Mac is a very dangerous wolf; but he is also a great wolf-hunter. I've never seen an evil Lommy that I recall, so I'm not sure whether I'd be able to recognise one.

I'm guessing the three rangers with swords that drive the wolves away can't kill the wolves, then, but the one with the gold sword can. The odds are actually pretty good, although if we had a seer or a weaver or some other way of gathering information it would be so much better.

I'm inclined to think the poll is going to be more a distraction than anything else. It's often the case that the same people who make the most dangerous wolves are also some of the biggest assets to the village when innocent, and vice versa. "I want so-and-so on my side" is, after all, not much different from "I don't want so-and-so for an enemy".

Boromir88 01-29-2007 05:37 PM

Firefoot's innocent, Gil-galad's innocent...and Celuien looks fanged. She seems too nice for my liking:
Quote:

Oh dear, Firefoot. There was always shelter in the inn for those as were willin' to do some chores t'earn their keep.
This whole dear night and 'I would give you a place to stay' don't sit right with me. If you all think I'm joking, don't, because this jester never jokes.

Celuien 01-29-2007 05:52 PM

Ha. When have I ever not been nice, Boro? Can't be hospitable and run an inn and all if you're not nice. And niceness has been in my family for a long time. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mysterious Stranger
There are three werewolves among you. Two of them may be a bit weaker than the third... I don’t know

That's most interesting. I don't know what to make of it, and I'm not sure there's anything to be made of it until we have a little more information, but it sounds hopeful.
Quote:

But three of you have been armed with swords that make those beasts back away. And one of you possesses a golden dagger. As I said, I believe you’re well armed to face this evil by yourselves now.
Either one of the rangers can double as a hunter, or there's a hint about one of the three unknown roles with the mention of the golden dagger. My guess would be that there's a hunter in addition to the rangers.

Rikae 01-29-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celuien
Either one of the rangers can double as a hunter, or there's a hint about one of the three unknown roles with the mention of the golden dagger. My guess would be that there's a hunter in addition to the rangers.

Makes sense, and I bet they are four separate people. How exactly does the "hunter" role work? I've heard of it, but I don't know the details.

Celuien 01-29-2007 06:18 PM

The hunter gets to choose another villagers to bring along if killed. There are a couple of variations on the specifics of the role (if the hunter only hunts when killed at night, or also if killed by day, for example) but it pretty much comes down to the same thing. The hunter doesn't die alone at night, and may not die alone by day...

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 06:21 PM

First off-

Quote:

It was clear that most pairs of fearful eyes were nailed on Anguirel the Merry, the Town Fletcher Roa and the Tall Doctor Mormegil. It looked like a space was opening around the three of them.
MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! That's right! Fear me! FEAR MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

*coughcough* Excuse me.

I think the most prevalent point in Nogrod's message to us before he left was this: Nothing is what it seems. Don't go with the usual trains of thought (I mean, most of us have been around long enough that we've started following a routine, aptly noted by our now departed guest), and suspect EVERYBODY.

So let's be bold, daring even, and actually try to look at evidence from here on out. It's there, people, and not just in the narration.

For example (and keep in mind that I don't have many posts to go on right now) Gil-galad's behavior is unnesecessarily attention grabbing. "But wait!" you say, "Would a wolf dare incriminate himself this early?" Yes, I say. Because it's worked in past villages. And a bold wolf is as dangerous as a quiet wolf.

Of course, he could just be on the wolves' side, and not a wolf himself. I do believe that some among may wish to help the beasts.

Or he could just be acting out his role.

My point is that there's info a plenty, and we should be looking for it, not brushing things off as just banter, or roleplay, or any other such nonsense. I'm going to start keeping summaries now, and I suggest others do the same. (For one, it saves on work later, and for two, it makes you actually look for the point of any single post.)

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 06:23 PM

I must confess that I only skimmed most of what was said by "The Mysterious Stranger"

But I did notice the part about the one wolf being stronger than the others, but I came to another conclution than Celuin (whom I do not trust one bit),

Quote:

That's most interesting. I don't know what to make of it, and I'm not sure there's anything to be made of it until we have a little more information, but it sounds hopeful.
I was thinking that one of the wolves had gotten stronger than what we previously have expirienced rather than the two had gotten weaker. . .but yeah we will just have to wait and see if this was just to confuse us.

Firefoot 01-29-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Firefoot, ya know, Mac is a very dangerous wolf; but he is also a great wolf-hunter.
The same can be quite true about Mormegil or Eomer or any number of people no one ever trusts. "They can be great if they're on our side" is never a good reason to trust anyone.
Quote:

I've never seen an evil Lommy that I recall, so I'm not sure whether I'd be able to recognise one.
So we should just trust her? No way.

My point is that everyone is going to come into the game with people they like to trust. As soon as you know who those people are, put them on your distrust list, too, because they're the people who are best going to be able to fool you.

Boromir88 01-29-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

That's most interesting. I don't know what to make of it, and I'm not sure there's anything to be made of it until we have a little more information, but it sounds hopeful.~Celuien
I wonder if one wolf knows the identity of his/her two partners, and the other two are clueless?

Rikae 01-29-2007 06:40 PM

The hunter sounds like it might be more danger than help, with no certain knowledge to guide him/her.

Roa, you're making some sense:
Quote:

"Would a wolf dare incriminate himself this early?" Yes, I say. Because it's worked in past villages. And a bold wolf is as dangerous as a quiet wolf."
In fact, I would go as far as to say that in my foremother's experience, there was always a bold wolf.
Still, there's something about your post that bothers me. It reminds me that wolves often slip under the radar by saying enough noncontroversial things to look like a participant without truly participating.

Rune, any special reason you don't trust Cel? I'm inclined not to myself, but I'm pretty sure that's just because her mum killed my mum; we have to be careful to separate past impressions from this game.
For that matter, there is something about you, Rune, that doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it...but I'll be reading your posts more closely.

EDIT: Crossed with Firefoot and Boromir.

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefoot
My point is that everyone is going to come into the game with people they like to trust. As soon as you know who those people are, put them on your distrust list, too, because they're the people who are best going to be able to fool you.

Would that not leave every one with lists looking like this

Distrust: Everybody else

Trust: Me

;)

The essense of what you say is of course true, that there should be no one that is automaticaly trusted.

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celuin
But if there's anyone I really don't trust, it'd have t'be that moonshiner Rune. Tries to steal me business, he does, with that false brew of his. [img]ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

I was meerly saying that I did not trust her as a retaliation for this comment, no special intend behind it. . .

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Would that not leave every one with lists looking like this

Distrust: Everybody else

Trust: Me
Why not? That's what my list always looks like, and it's worked for me so far.

Personally, I would like to know what inclines Boromir to trust Firefoot and Gil so fully this early in the day while distrusting Cel over first post IC-ness.

Durelin 01-29-2007 07:00 PM

Durelin wandered in, the pouch at her hip rattling with bones. She kneeled on the floor and drew them out, tossing them onto the ground with a clatter.

"Beware the Ides of..." She stopped, peeked into her bone bag, and pulled out one lonely piece of scapula so it could join the rest of its compatriots. "February."

The wise-woman tilted her head up toward the rafters of the inn, as if perusing stars that were not there.

"Well, if anyone's still alive then to beware it."

Durelin paused, waiting for someone to comment. She received only bewildered, bemused, and just plain alarmed stares.

"If you want something more specific I'm going to have to bring in a dead animal." She turned to the innkeeper, Celuien. "Can I do that?"

Boromir88 01-29-2007 07:03 PM

Roa, pretty much feeling. I feel Firefoot's and Gil-galad's post are in earnest and genuine. Celuien's feels like a fake kindness...trying to appear nice, but it's all an act.

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 07:08 PM

Oh, and people about the wolves strength:

I would like to remind you that the wolves get TWO kills a night until one of them is killed. My guess is that's what the narration was referencing with one wolf being stringer than the other two: The stronger wolf can take down a kill on his own, while the weaker two have to work together. If the strong one is killed first, then the weaker two still have to work together, and if a "weaker one is killed, then the remaining weak one has to hunt with the stronger one because s/he can't do it alone. In actual gameplay, it doesn't matter which wolf is which.

So it's actually quite dire, and not hopeful at all, Celuien. Sorry to burst your bubble.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Boro. You're not a "feeling" guy- unless your style has drastically changed since I last played with you.

Besides, we all know that only Valier's feelings are trustworthy in this game. ;)

Celuien 01-29-2007 07:09 PM

The only dead animals I'll tolerate in here, Durelin, are the kind that're roasted up with some nice gravy. Anything not meant for cooking will stay out in the yard, if you please.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikae
The hunter sounds like it might be more danger than help, with no certain knowledge to guide him/her.

Definitely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boro
I wonder if one wolf knows the identity of his/her two partners, and the other two are clueless?

That might be it. I'm thinking the one wolf might know both of the others while the other two only know the identity of the lead wolf. But I'm sure there are other possibilties.

Celuien 01-29-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
So it's actually quite dire, and not hopeful at all, Celuien. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Better that it is burst. I hadn't thought of that scenario, but it's a very important consideration. The one I'd dreamt up is in my cross post above. :rolleyes:

Firefoot 01-29-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

That might be it. I'm thinking the one wolf might know both of the others while the other two only know the identity of the lead wolf. But I'm sure there are other possibilties.
This occurred to me, but I don't think it's correct. The lead wolf could very easily just tell the other two who each other were (or it would be incredibly easy to let it slip by accident). There wouldn't be any way to enforce that rule. (Granted, there aren't any ways to enforce several rules, such as pm'ing between villagers, but still.) Whatever it is, I don't think that this is what makes one wolf more powerful than the others.

Rikae 01-29-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

The stronger wolf can take down a kill on his own, while the weaker two have to work together. If the strong one is killed first, then the weaker two still have to work together, and if a "weaker one is killed, then the remaining weak one has to hunt with the stronger one because s/he can't do it alone. In actual gameplay, it doesn't matter which wolf is which.
That sounds like a plausible explanation. If that was the case, killing the lead wolf and one of the weaker ones would mean maybe the last wolf couldn't kill - now that's hopeful.

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

That sounds like a plausible explanation. If that was the case, killing the lead wolf and one of the weaker ones would mean maybe the last wolf couldn't kill - now that's hopeful.

hahaha I nominate Rikea for the titel: Queen of Wishfull Thinking

I know that the villagers is supposed to be able to fight back, but for the wolves to be this handicaped is. . . . well not likely, in my view.

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celuien

Definitely.

Not if it's Nogrod's version of the hunter. Which, the mod being Nogrod, it most likely is.

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 08:02 PM

Just to get everyone back on track- We're over thinking this Strong wolf- weak wolves idea. I'm absolutely certain that it's there to explain why we have two kills instead of one with our usual three wolves, up until one dies. In actual play, it doesn't matter which is which. We'll have two kills a night as long as there are three wolves, and one kill a night with 1 or 2 wolves. Those are the rules stated at the top of the page. While it was a good thing to bring up, it's now just a distraction.

We need to catch a wolf quickly, or else our numbers will start shrinking drastically.

mormegil 01-29-2007 08:05 PM

While all this chat about things we don't know at all and are fairly incidental in the over all success of this village is great fun I really think we would do better to get back on topic and lynch, lynch LYNCH!

++Rune

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 08:07 PM

While I don't disagree that we need to get back on topic, any reason for picking Rune? Or was that just random?

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 08:11 PM

I doubt there is any theory behind it. . . .Mormegil's ancestors have always had a liking for killing my kin.

Roa_Aoife 01-29-2007 08:26 PM

Well, I must be off- I've arrows to fletch. (see admin thread)

I have been keeping summarizing and analyzing every post except my own thus far, and I do have some leads, but I'm going to give them a few more hours, to either redeem themselves, or to further incriminate themselves, and I don't want to tip them off.

My suspicion list thus far:

Trusts: Me

Distrusts: Everyone else

Celuien 01-29-2007 08:30 PM

Well, I must say that I don't actually remember Nogrod's version of the hunter. I may have to find one of the lorebooks on suggested werewolf hunting methods. :o :rolleyes:

But not just now. Even an Innkeeper must rest now and then. I'll return in a few hours.

Rune Son of Bjarne 01-29-2007 08:53 PM

I shall join the rest and be idle for some hours, but only to return later.

For now I shall write Mormegil's vote for me off as a meer ploy to get the suspicions/votes flying, which could be for better or worse one never knows.

With the retractable vote he could always turn up and change his vote, but now I am just pointing out the obviouse. . . .better leave then.

Boromir88 01-29-2007 08:58 PM

Lot's of talking, I'd say this is good for us...all the more chance for wolves to get caught. I detest quiet villages. So Morm why are you trying to stop the talk?

Quote:

EDIT: Cross-posted with Boro. You're not a "feeling" guy- unless your style has drastically changed since I last played with you.
True, but actually most of my Day 1 stuff is based upon feeling. If someone sounds reasonable I don't have a real reason to vote for them on Day 1. I try to eliminate as many possiblities on Day 1 as possible; and I'm not going to vote for someone who I find particularly helpful on Day 1.

About the hunter, if we happen to have a good hunter, that is a a decent judge and can get a bit luck he/she can be a great asset to the village. With that being said, the hunter can also greatly hurt the village if their choice is wrong. It's a risk I'm willing to take, I'd take hunter over no-hunter anyday.

Boromir88 01-29-2007 09:00 PM

Oh and another good thing about the hunter, if the wolves have a good clue who the hunter is, yet think the hunter is on to one of them, they will actually refrain from killing the hunter to save their own skin.

Gil-Galad 01-29-2007 10:43 PM

sorry to bring my dear boromir88 to the front... but he was the first one too launch the allegations onto celuien... that could be a devious ploy, for if the wolf starts it off, then there is a chance more will fly and totally ignore the first one of boromir, sorry put i must throw this lovely pie of lynching in your face, ta ta

++Boromir88

Anguirel 01-30-2007 01:38 AM

Gil-Galad is, I suppose, right to see Boro's attack on Celuien as perhaps the central oddity this day has so far produced.

It's plain weird. Who makes so much of in-character bonhomie? Not usually a wolf, I must say; I'm inclined to think both innkeeper and jester looking fairly innocent. If they were both wolves, I think they'd be too subtle to emphasise conflict at such an early stage.

This is going to be a game of real detective work, with Night and Day filled with tortuous deduction, but I think the three Rangers may well earn their swords - I've seen great things accomplished by a single Ranger before.

I agree that we should not dwell particularly on the results of the gallup. They're intriguing and flattering, but not that useful...