The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Movie Characters Revisited: Introduction and Concept (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17988)

Boromir88 06-10-2012 05:39 PM

Movie Characters Revisited: Introduction and Concept

I was re-watching the LOTR movies recently and thinking a lot about the characters, and how well (or not) they were portrayed in the movies. The design will be similar to the CBC discussions in the Book Forums, but this will be all about the movie characters, with a new character every week.

The main purpose of this thread is to see if there's interest in doing a weekly series of movie charaters' discussions. Only have some easily followed pattern, so it's not a confused blob of random characters people are talking about. I can keep doing these as long as there are characters to discuss, and people willing to discuss them. :D

Here is the list I came up with, the 9 Fellowship members plus a couple other fairly important characters. If there are any other characters someone wants to talk about, please post on this thread, and I can add them on the list.

Gandalf
Frodo
Gollum/Smeagol
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Aragorn
Boromir
Gimli
Legolas
Saruman
Arwen
Eowyn
Faramir
Theoden
Eomer
Denethor
Sauron
Elrond/Galadriel
Treebeard/Ents

A note: All of these discussions will have starting points and questions (normally a handful of scenes, or observations) that deal with the casting, script-writing, and the portrayal compared to the books. But like the Chapter-by-Chapter threads, you can talk about anything pertinent to the movie character. (While also staying away from the "ZOMG Legolas is HOTZZ" and "I'm dusterbed by Frodo!" :p)

In the next couple days I will open up a thread for a discussion about Gandalf in the movies, and then open the next one the following week. This thread will be a HQ of sorts, if there are any other comments, questions about the overall "Characters Revisited" series. Or if there are other movie characters people want to discuss, I can add them on to the list. I will also link all the threads back to this one.

Formendacil 06-10-2012 05:49 PM

Granted, he's more of an eyeball than a character, but I feel that the Lord of the Rings himself should have a place on this list. Galadriel and Elrond too, though they are more minor characters.

Inziladun 06-10-2012 05:56 PM

I misread the thread title as "Introduction and Conceit" and got all ready to bash PJ again. :D

Boromir88 06-10-2012 06:05 PM

Form, I tend to forget Sauron as a character too, so no worries. And like I said, as long as there are characters, and willing participants, I'm not opposed to anyone. Maybe except the "Gondor Soldier #5," not sure he would deserve a week, just for getting speared by an orc. :rolleyes:

Inzil, well in the Thread title I left off the "d" , but I'm going to take your post to mean you're interested too. :p

Nogrod 06-10-2012 07:00 PM

Let's go for it!

Inziladun 06-10-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 670659)
Inzil, well in the Thread title I left off the "d" , but I'm going to take your post to mean you're interested too. :p

Sure, I'll have a bash. Literally, perhaps. ;)

alatar 06-10-2012 07:53 PM

Great idea! Please include 'shirtless woodchopping orc,' as I think that it would lead to a very interesting discussion. ;)

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/attachm...4&d=1141340845

Galadriel55 06-10-2012 08:09 PM

Great idea, Boro! I'll participate as much as my rather dim recollection of the movies allows me to.

I think Treebeard/Ents in general could be discussed. And I think your list does not include Eomer - I think he'd be an interesting one.

Morthoron 06-10-2012 08:20 PM

I shall throw in a rude comment here and there, particularly when the discussion devolves onto the "shirtless, woodchopping orc". :D

Sarumian 06-11-2012 02:27 AM

Looks interesting...

Boromir88 06-11-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alatar (Post 670664)
Great idea! Please include 'shirtless woodchopping orc,' as I think that it would lead to a very interesting discussion.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/attachm...4&d=1141340845

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 670667)
I shall throw in a rude comment here and there, particularly when the discussion devolves onto the "shirtless, woodchopping orc".

When I was first talking about this idea with some members, I kept stressing "No, Legolas is hotzzzes!" spam. And the normal response was "Oh, but we could have so much fun just spamming the movies page with Legolas fluff!"

I dread now shirtless, wood chopping orc will take over that role in these threads. :rolleyes: :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 670665)
I think Treebeard/Ents in general could be discussed. And I think your list does not include Eomer - I think he'd be an interesting one.

Noted and added.

I think I will just go ahead and post the Gandalf discussion now, before my day technically begins, because it promises to probably go down hill from here. Everything is ready, so no point in having people wait.

Feanor of the Peredhil 06-11-2012 10:45 AM

Figwit omg ftw.

:Merisu:

Boromir88 06-25-2012 07:57 AM

I've normally been opening the new threads Monday morning, but I'm getting back to recover from the beautiful and excellent wedding of Form and Nienna and have some work to catch up on. I'll likely get to it tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone, I hope they've been interesting and fun to read and post so far. :)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 06-26-2012 04:11 AM

Good idea, Boro.

Boromir88 07-13-2012 07:48 PM

My apologies all, it's been near insanity this month. I'll get Sam's thread up over the weekend.