The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   how do they do it? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1649)

zak 01-25-2003 09:21 AM

how do they do it?

throught the whole of LOTR the fellowship
travel through thousands upon thousands of miles! how can their feet last?

do you think it is because in those times people were used to it or because of Lembas? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Rimbaud 01-25-2003 10:04 AM

Hundreds, stretched over months.

And, boots.

http://www.zopezen.org/Members/kteague/boots.jpg

These are what the Fellowship wore, to a man. Elf. Hobbit. Maia. Dwarf.

Jesse 01-25-2003 10:07 AM

I have to agree with Rim here. The boots helped out alot. Their journey probably took lots of years.

red 01-25-2003 10:18 AM

Rim rox.

From the time that Frodo set out from Hobbiton to the downfall of Barad-dûr was only six months. Not years and years.

littlemanpoet 01-25-2003 11:32 AM

Hundreds of hikers travel the length of the Appalachian Trail each year, from Maine to Mississippi. And that's mostly mountains. Thousands of miles. It's a matter of getting in shape - which Tolkien did write into the story.

Gorwingel 01-25-2003 02:04 PM

I know it is a fantasy book, but I wonder if anyone really had to go on a journey like Sam and Frodo, would they survive? Because by the end they did not have any water they could drink, they were starved, if they had to go on any longer, they would not have made it. I think also it maybe was a shorter distance than you would think, the entire Middle Earth area was (I think) about the size of Western Europe, so it was not as large as you would think.

eleanor_niphredil 01-25-2003 03:56 PM

not as large as you would think? I think that the walk home from school is a long walk (about half a mile). I'm not unfit or anything, but honestly, a walk across western Europe, with little food, water, no tent and no portable loo would kill me! way to go fellowship!

Plus, all these guys would have been brought up in a world without cars, trains, or Macdonalds. It is not as hard for them as it would be for us. Anyway, they did have a purpose to do it for.

lord of dor-lomin 01-26-2003 11:47 PM

I used to run cross country, and it's really amazing how quickly your body can adjust to your habits.

eg: I stopped running after high school for a couple years and then decided I'd start again. I timed myself in the mile after two years of not running and my time was 7:45. I timed myself again after less than two months of running three or four times a week, and my time was down to 4:30. That's more than three minutes difference, and I wasn't even training my hardest.

Our bodies are very good at adjusting to whatever lifestyle we live.

Gorwingel 01-27-2003 12:24 AM

Western Europe seemed a shorter distance to walk across then to walk across the U.S. It would be a long way, and yes it would be a very hard journey. And if you look at the map in the book, it just seemed shorter to me (but I have never had to walk that great of a distance) so maybe I am just not educated about it. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Bruce MacCulloch 01-27-2003 12:28 AM

As a former infantryman, I can attest to how your body can get used to walking. After doing it for a while, walking twenty-five miles in a few hours with fifty to seventy pounds on your back is not that huge a deal.

I used to go ten or twelve miles at least once a week with that much on my back and be done in two hours, so the amount of walking in the book doesn't seem preposterous at all. Rather, it seems to be only a little bit of a fast pace to keep. Not easy, but definitely do-able.

Also, keep in mind that the technology level in Professor Tolkien's writing is at a level on a par with the Middle Ages. People walked everywhere - very few rode horses (despite what Hollywood would have you believe).