The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   For the Love of Philology (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11247)

Estelyn Telcontar 01-16-2002 04:40 PM

Tolkien vocabulary II (just for fun)

How about making up our own definitions for archaic or unusual words we find in LotR et al?! (If you've read Douglas Adams' "Meaning of Liff" you know what I'm thinking of.) *thinks hard, trying to find a really fantastic starter that will knock everyone out with its clever wittiness - sigh!*
Oh well, maybe someone else has a great idea!

Rachel 01-17-2002 10:25 PM

Thats a great idea, I know exactly what you mean... unfortunately I'm not particularly imaginative so I'll leave it to someone else too.

skippy 01-17-2002 11:54 PM

same hear I have no imagination.
but it sounds likea realy cool idia.

Rinberethial Bloom 01-18-2002 04:49 AM

What are we doing? Picking words out of the books and then making new meanings for them? I don't think I quite understand

Estelyn Telcontar 01-18-2002 05:51 AM

Yes, Rinberethiel, that's the idea. It will work best with unusual words.

Rinberethial Bloom 01-18-2002 06:05 AM

Oh ok well I kinda borrowed the books off a friend and don't have my own copy so I will depart gracefully now while I'm ahead [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Aralaithiel 01-20-2002 07:21 PM

Just remember, those of you who have read Douglas Adams, that the answer to everything is 42! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Eowyn of Ithilien 01-21-2002 12:21 AM

that's all very well...but what's the question????? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Aralaithiel 01-21-2002 04:58 PM

The answer to "any" question in the Douglas Adams books is 42. How about for this group the answer to every question should be "Balrog"?

Estelyn Telcontar 01-22-2002 01:50 AM

Well, the original idea was to make up definitions. So let's finally start it off - I've got one for ya'll. It's a LotR word, but the definition has to do with my favorite forum contributions.

balrog-winging (verb):
discussing, extensively and heatedly, issues of no practical importance, which cannot be resolved due to lack of conclusive proof for any given standpoint
(see also: angel-pinpoint-dancing)

OK, OK, don't you balrog-wingers out there stone me - it's just for fun, remember?!

Now, who'll try next?

Hama 01-22-2002 04:35 AM

What about:

Tolkien: a person who enthusiastically favours collection of fees for passing along roads or motorways.

Mmm. A bit crude. Should encourage everyone else to better it.

Sharkû 01-22-2002 06:31 AM

I think 'bombadil(l)oism' as a term for chipper and nonsense rhyme, tune, or song has already entered the vocabulary of some board members [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Mister Underhill 01-25-2002 01:17 AM

...but a "bombadilloism" is not to be confused under any circumstances with an "underhilloism", which is an altogether different animal.

inglorion 01-25-2002 04:43 PM

I was advised to put this in here:
Ballrogue: A thief on parties

greetings, gildor

questor 01-30-2002 08:47 PM

excellent job with "ballrogue". that one i'll give credit for.

KayQy 01-31-2002 02:53 PM

Withywindle:

The tendency of cigarette smoke to drift towards the only non-smoker at the table.

Evisse the Blue 08-20-2003 04:46 PM

arago (verb): (1) to measure a given distance with large and proud steps, while maintaining a kingly posture (aprox. synonyme: stride)
(2) to walk for long miles without tiring easily,as in: They arawent forty leagues and five in pursuit of their hobbit friends ere the fourth day ended.

Great idea - to make up a language from Tolkien words! Maybe we'll start using it too, and have others stare at us like we're mad!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]

tinewelt 08-20-2003 05:01 PM

Silmarils: A type of street potion, consisting of 3 different types of drugs. Cocaine, Meth, and Heroine. Posesses unbelievable powers that cause strangers and brothers alike to swear an oath to kill anyone else who has it, and then take it to their father.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 08-20-2003 06:14 PM

gollumic: (adj.) 1. To be in a state of disagreement with yourself 2. Used to describe one who has been consumed by an obssession

samwise: (n.) (colloquial) One who is loyal

mandos: (v.) To proclaim doom; to see the dark side of things

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-20-2003 07:49 PM

Howsabout this:

arwen (verb):
to steal the job of another. a heinous crime committed mostly by Elves and Ambitious Wizards. (synonyms include: nick, gyp, and over-achieve)

Probably not as funny to you all as it is to me...

Fea

ainur 08-20-2003 09:05 PM

How about:
Legolass: An intelligent, pre-teenaged girl with too much time on her hands.

(I guess that's more a movie reference)

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: ainur ]

Diamond18 08-20-2003 09:56 PM

Intelligent?

Diamond18 08-20-2003 10:21 PM

Sorry for pulling a burra, I could not resist. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] So here's my contribution:

Woses: People who suppose their toes to be roses (erroneously).

Rings of Power: Especially pungent onion rings, deep deep fried.

Dunland: A wasteland of, well, waste.

Morannan: An annonymous moron, who drops into literature based forums and posts stupid things. Also see, Legolass.

Túna: Really expensive tuna.

Kingsfoil: Really expensive tinfoil.

Mûmakil: Matricide.

Flame of Udûn: An excellent name for a rock band.

Estelyn Telcontar 08-21-2003 01:29 AM

Wow, who would have thought that my old thread would see daylight again?! Seeing it in action, and now having the responsibility to do something about it, I have decided to move it to the Middle-Earth Mirth forum, since it is not a serious book discussion. Carry on there, please - I look forward to more fun definitions!

Kaiserin 08-21-2003 02:54 AM

Hey, this is an amazing idea for a thread!
Here are my contributions to The Barrow Downs Tolkienism ADDICTIONary

Burrahobbit 1. (n.) An inexperienced burglar. 2.(n.) A deceiver of trolls. 3. (proper noun) A rather famous frequenter of the Barrow-Downs.

Grima (n.) a deceptive, undependable bootlick who seeks personal gain. Usually clings to people of influence, in the pretense of giving wise advice. (syn. wormtongue)

Foolofatook 1. (n.) an intrepid person who acts in a manner that is naive, careless and / or causes trouble. 2. (interjection) An expression of frustration or disappointment at someone's foolish behavior, as in, "You Foolofatook!".

Pippinism The deeds or words of one who is a foolofatook.

Snowmane (n.) a faithful friend who later becomes the cause of downfall - in a literal of figurative sense.

Vala (n.) one whom you admit is way better than yourself.

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Kaiserin ]

Rimbaud 08-21-2003 03:32 AM

Ainur - adj of, relating to, characterized by, or being personality traits (as parsimony, meticulousness, and ill humor) considered typical of fixation at the Ainur stage of development.

IE - "Man, that Celeborn's really Ainur about how tidy Lothlorien is!"

Examples could have included Gandalf and his staff, or Bilbo and his Ring, but they seemed inappropriate.

Elennar Starfire 08-21-2003 09:55 AM

Denethoric: having to do with fire or an obsession with fire.

Evisse the Blue 08-21-2003 11:38 AM

Mordorous-eye (subst) - found in such expressions as
- 'to bear a mordorous eye against someone' - to bear a grudge against someone who posseses something that you hold dear
- 'to give someone the mordorous eye' - to take revenge on someone whom you're jealous of and/or you believe dispossesed you of something you hold very dear

Pippin trippin' = to behave in a childish and careless manner when important things are being discussed and /or when your life is in mortal danger. As in The barowdowners know it's no good to be pippin-trippin' in the books forum.

Kaiserin 08-23-2003 03:39 AM

Preciousss (n.) an object of greed, which, when posessed, provokes the Morderous-eye upon oneself.

Quote:

Mordorous-eye (subst) - found in such expressions as
- 'to bear a mordorous eye against someone' - to bear a grudge against someone who posseses something that you hold dear
- 'to give someone the mordorous eye' - to take revenge on someone whom you're jealous of and/or you believe dispossesed you of something you hold very dear
Shadowfax (n.) a telecommunications device that can only be used in darkness.

Evisse the Blue 08-23-2003 09:13 AM

Quote:

Preciousss (n.) an object of greed, which, when posessed, provokes the Morderous-eye upon oneself
I particularly like the spelling of that word! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

(to be) Beornagain (expression)= 1. to shapeshift 2. (fig): to pass from a state of calm relaxation to one of blood thirsty bestiality with a tendency to act upon your violent impulses - as in [I]Man, when I watch The Lord of the Rings movies, I really feel beornagain[/I.

Tolkien (see some posts above for another definition): somebody whose hobby is creating languages

dancing spawn of ungoliant 08-23-2003 01:42 PM

Barliman=(noun)person who forgets things easily

Eagle=war helicopter/ aeroplane

Caradhras=(1.noun)blizzard, (2.adj)snowy

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-23-2003 04:01 PM

pull a burra (action):

1) to groom your dog after a romp through thistles
2) to harshly disprove theories with as few words as possible; tends to scare people (please, Mr. Burrahobbit, sir, don't yell at me!)

Fea

Luthien_ Tinuviel 08-23-2003 05:38 PM

I'll expand on Feanor's post:

pull a burra: (expression, especially on the Barrow-Downs) to say something in a very terse and succint manner.

EDIT: Evisse, I've found yours especially amusing. I will cast no Mordorous eyes upon you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

Evisse the Blue 08-23-2003 06:10 PM

Thanks, Luthien! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Not to appear gollumic or anything, but I can't keep away from this thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . I just love making up crazy definitions and reading others'!

Galadridillyc (tongue-twister, eh? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] = a place or atmosphere that is enriched by the mere presence of someone special ("When she's around, the worst gutter seems galadridyllic").

Saurreoneus = 1. someone who may be smart but fails to see the obvious because of his egocentred nature.
2. someone who has a great deal a power and wits but uses it to do great evil.
3. a politician.
(Is it just me, or do 2 and 3 overlap??) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]

maikafanawen 08-23-2003 06:24 PM

Quote:

Said by Sharkû: 'bombadil(l)oism' as a term for chipper and nonsense rhyme, tune, or song
Brilliant!!

Quote:

Said by Evisse the Blue: They arawent forty leagues and five in pursuit of their hobbit friends ere the fourth day ended.
*Laughs* Ahh…*wipes tear*…loved that one

Quote:

Said by Kaiserin: The Barrow Downs Tolkienism ADDICTIONary
Yet another good one!

Alright now for my measly attempts:

glorfingel : adj : 1.a. invisible; not visible to the eye; unseeable, undetectable, infinitesimal. b. artfully concealed so as to be imperceptible; veiled, covert, masked. 2. lost; not present. (see absent) [I.E.> [i] When his position in the film was arwened*, he remained glorfingel throughout the trilogy's theatrical production. [I] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (see arwen)

[to pull a] "glorfingel" : v : 1. to be cheated of one's rights; deceived. 2. to disappear without explanation.

númenór : adj : 1. good-looking or attractive. (for adj. See also BEAUTIFUL) 2. imposing or attractive. (for adj. see IMPRESSIVE) n. númenórean [I.E.> The man with his númenór appearance dominated the hearts of all the young ladies in the court during the ball.

That's it for now. This is a cute thread!

-Maikafanawen

dancing spawn of ungoliant 08-24-2003 07:26 AM

amon sûl=adj. for describing an old and ruined building

palantír=1. computer 2. telephone
to palantíro=1. email to someone,also chat 2. call somebody

This is nice thread but my English skills could be little better...very annoying feeling when you know exactly what you want to say and then you just can't translate it to English [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]

Evisse the Blue 08-25-2003 11:35 AM

Inspired by Feanor's post:

twotowerism: (to pull a twotowerism): 1. to reveal one's lack of knowledge on a matter by making false statements that you sell as absolute truths. (ex: They really pulled a twotowerism when they claimed Tolkien's books were racist.
2. to reveal oneself as a non fan of something in the midst of a group of devoted fans. (ex: Gee, you shouldn't have yelled 'Star Trek sucks' at that convention. That was a damned twotowerism and it was bound to get you in trouble.

EDIT: As it has been pointed out to me that my post has been misunderstood, I feel the need to explain it:

My definitions for
twotowerism allude to the same people that Feanor alluded to - the ones that campaigned against the release of TTT on the pretext of the title holding negative connotations [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . It's those people that reveal themselves as non fans, and reveal their own stupidity in the process. I hope Feanor's post will be posted back; because it was a very funny one, and inpsirational too - my own post contributed to,not dissed, Feanor's post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]

Finwe 08-25-2003 07:23 PM

Quenya - Any mode of speech that is extamporaneously verbose and flowery -- overly formal

Gimli - a small person with a very short temper, characterized by an obsession with golden locks of hair cut from the head of an Elf and keeping count of the number of Orcs slain.

Souron - a person who has withstood many defeats, and has lived far longer than their normal lifespan, resulting in a shriveled appearance much resembling a sour fruit.

the guy who be short 08-26-2003 04:53 AM

Legolas (n) - An unpopular or hated person, esp. due to hanger's on and followers/worshippers.

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-26-2003 07:12 AM

Alrighty, after a slight misunderstanding, and then an excellent [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] clarification, here is my last post, as close as I can remember it.

The Two Towers (Proper noun):

1) best movie currently in existence
2) best book-to-movie ever (IMHO)
3) (concerning non-Tolkienites) a rather confusing title that causes an influx of questions as to the existence of a film about the attack on the World Trade Center. frustrates and infuriates True Tolkienites by forcing them to explain that although there are insane terrorists working in conjunction (Saruman and Sauron), two large important towers, airplanes (see eagles*), and many every-day heros saving the world as we know it (soldiers and little people with big burdens), that there is NO connection whatsoever. None. So there. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Fea