The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Beowulf-- The Comic Book (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11118)

mark12_30 09-01-2004 07:21 AM

Beowulf-- The Comic Book

When I was a kid, we had a few classics in comic-book form: Ivanhoe, which I loved dearly, and Hunchback of Notre Dame (which was okay).

But I wish we'd had this one.

Article: Beowulf in Comic Book

Link to the commercial site http://www.thecomic.com/

I wonder how the professor would have reacted?

Hilde Bracegirdle 09-01-2004 10:50 AM

Wow, Helen! Thanks for sharing that site! Beautiful use of line and color, can't help but think that Tolkien would approve. Hinds seems to have given the work all the loving craftmanship anyone could ask for.

mark12_30 09-01-2004 12:52 PM

Well, I've ordered one. It'll be a hwile (snail-mail delivery was free).

If it's as good as it looks, I'll try it out on my four nephews. ;)

Imladris 09-01-2004 01:24 PM

I don't think that the professor would mind, actually. I mean, if they *only* read this version then he would mind probably. If they only read the comic version that'd be like eating milk all the time instead of the real food... *memories of chocolate flit through the brain* Er...healthy food...*cough*

The comic, I think, could be compared to a kids training pool -- this way they won't drown and hate it for the rest of their lives probably...

mark12_30 09-01-2004 01:38 PM

From what I can see, it looks like he used a fairly decent translation, abridged it a bit, and just illustrated it. He gives a link to the 'original' text.

Estelyn Telcontar 09-01-2004 02:12 PM

What an interesting link, Helen! I think the artwork looks quite good - actually, some of the drawings remind me of Tolkien's own...

Encaitare 09-01-2004 07:00 PM

I saw a comic-book version of the Hobbit in the public library... I accidentally grabbed it instead of the real version! The artwork was quite good, but needless to say it was not what I was looking for. :p

Saurreg 09-01-2004 10:42 PM

Isn't Beowulf the Scandinavian folkstory that tells of a mythical warror (Geat?) who tears off the arm of a monster called Grendel and gets hammered big time by Grende's mummy? I thing I'm right somewhere on the lines.

Great art. I just called up my neighbourhood comic book shop and got the owner to place an order for me.

Encaitare 09-02-2004 05:49 PM

Roughly. ;)

rutslegolas 09-03-2004 12:22 AM

Well i saw a comic book copy of fellowship of the ring ,in our comic book shop ,it was exactly legal i suppose ,but i bought one and story was tottaly altered ,it said frodo was killed by boromir ,and then he defeats The Dark Lord and becomes a King of Gondor.
(Well it was'nt exactly titled fellowship of the ring ,it was company of ring)

Hilde Bracegirdle 09-03-2004 03:47 AM

Quote:

it said Frodo was killed by Boromir, and then he defeats The Dark Lord and becomes a King of Gondor.
And the course of history was altered forever! :eek:

It looks as though this offering of Beowulf is a pukka attempt, thank goodness. :)

mark12_30 09-10-2004 04:55 PM

It's Here...

...and a lovely thing it is, too. I recommend it. Its only major fault: the font is so small that an Old Whippersnapper like me has to squint just a bit. (I keep putting off those reading glasses...) But the pictures are intriguing and carefully done. And for th price...! I picked up a copy of the first edition, since it was on sale, and who knows. I will loan it to my nephews... after I finish it.

Beren87 09-10-2004 06:31 PM

Wow, I wish I'd clicked on this thread sooner. I actually have the Beowulf comics, in their original 3-piece form. I picked them up at a comic expo in Charleston. For anyone who ordered them, you'll love them, I do. They're very very well drawn and the story is very true to the original.

Incidently, I also have "The Hobbit" comic book that someone up above mentioned, and I'm quite pleased with it too. It's the story nearly verbatim, and the artistry isn't bad at all.

Yeah, I'm a comic book geek. :p