The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cast those "Other" Characters (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10372)

Kransha 02-29-2004 06:24 PM

Cast those "Other" Characters

Alright, there are plenty of threads about how Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel and others were left out of the trilogy, but I was wondering something else. Go beyond editing these characters into the movie. If they were in there, who would play them? There are threads about who would play ol' Bombadillo, but what about the numerous others?

-Erkenbrand
-Imrahil
-Bergil
-Glorfindel
-Otho Sackville-Baggins
-Ted sandyman
-Goldberry
-Tom Bombadil, of course
-Dunhere
-Fatty Bolger
etcetera,

Some parts are small, but many have a larger part to play. Compared to the screen time Saruman was reduced to, many of these would count as major parts if put back into the movie. Who could do these Forgotten Favorites justice?

Kidd2323 03-01-2004 05:35 AM

He's probably way too tall but for Fatty Bolger I would pick Ethan Suplee of American History X, Remember the Titans, and The Butterfly Effect fame.

Aethelwine 03-01-2004 08:09 AM

Actually, Kransha, Glorfindel was in ROTK...

Look here

Navaer!

Aethelwine.

Keeper of Dol Guldur 03-01-2004 09:59 AM

So in fact, was our good Prince of Dol Amroth, Imrahil. Nothing compared to what he was in the book, Imrahil is one of the only Gondorian knights in the movie to talk directly to Gandalf. He's a very fair-haired chap with some stubble and a twinge of an amish-style beard, and his banner is there with him in a few scenes like the coronation and probably in places we'll find when the DVD is released, or upon many, many theater runs.

Oh and for my money, I'd want PJ to get the ultimate cameo and play old Bombadillo himself.

Noxomanus 03-01-2004 11:33 AM

Perhaps PJ could have been Radagast as well. Or perhaps,they could have given Sean Connery a (small) role after all! But Radagast seems to be a dreamer while Connery looks stern and stuff...I don't know,just a suggestion.

The Only Real Estel 03-03-2004 08:34 PM

Quote:

Or perhaps,they could have given Sean Connery a (small) role after all! But Radagast seems to be a dreamer while Connery looks stern and stuff...I don't know,just a suggestion.
A little pricey for such a smallish role, don't you think? :p

I'm suprised we didn't see PJ as Barliman or somethin...he could've played Fatty Bolger, but then he'd have to shave his beard :D.

Wow, it's more fun to speculate who PJ could've played than it is to cast real actors for real roles (mainly because I can't think of enough that would fit in lotr) ;).

the real findorfin 03-04-2004 05:11 PM

Ted Sandyman and Otho Sackville-Baggins were cast and made appearances. Ted in the Green Dragon and Otho in the Party scenes.

The Perky Ent 03-04-2004 05:33 PM

Also, a Cirdan would be cool! Did they cast a Cirdan? If they did, i don't know anything about it!

Keeper of Dol Guldur 03-04-2004 05:56 PM

Cirdan

"Three rings for elven kings . . ." let's not forget the Fellowship of the Rings prologue just yet. Cirdan was there, but not back again, as far as any theatrical cuts.

The Perky Ent 03-04-2004 06:01 PM

Oh yeaaaaaaah!

I remember! But i meant in terms of ROTK. Well, actually, i didn't but it would be cool if he actually had a line!

Anarion 03-08-2004 12:09 AM

Goldberry- Natasha Henstridge
Bombadil- Russell Crowe

DarkRose 03-16-2004 01:45 PM

I wouldn't have imagined Russell Crowe a Bombadil, Anarion! :D He seems too serious.

I think Robin Williams might be interesting as Bombadil.

Failivrin 03-16-2004 02:56 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal as Imrahil, perhaps? I would say Jared Leto, but i'm not sure about him yet.

Goldberry: Jennifer Connelly. i'm in love with her, i think she's a fantastic actress. or Vanessa Paradis just because she's beautiful. WINONA RYDER!

Kidd2323 03-16-2004 08:48 PM

Robin Williams as Bombadil!!!

Excellent casting idea, DarkRose!!!

How about Vern Troyer (Mini-Me) as Nob & Bob, the hobbit helpers at the Prancing Pony in Bree?

Heather Graham strikes me as a vision of Goldberry.

Oh, and Howard Stern could play Bill the Pony!

Beanamir of Gondor 03-17-2004 01:19 PM

You guys know this but PJ was in Bree- the fat hairy guy grunting over the carrot.

And Glorfindel is all Heath Ledger. Could you see that hottie carrying Faramir back into Minas Tirith on his horse?

Kidd2323 03-17-2004 01:32 PM

I thought Prince Imrahil carried Faramir back into Minas Tirith, not Glorfindel?!?!?

Beanamir of Gondor 03-18-2004 07:41 AM

ACK! I did say Glorfindel, didn't I! *wails in shame*

I meant Imrahil- really I'm not that dumb! Imrahil, Faramir's uncle. Imrahil, Eomer's father-in-law. Imrahil, the only one who knew what he was doing on the Pelennor Fields.

I'm going to leave that other message unedited just so everyone knows how dumb I am.

ACK! Imrahil is Boromir's uncle! *wails again*

Meela 03-21-2004 07:41 AM

I have a specific image of Imrahil in my head, but I can't place an actor to it...

I think someone along the lines of Guillaume Canet, only less French. And I think I misspelled Guillaume... it's been a while since I saw the name.

I like the idea of Natasha Henstridge as Goldberry.

Actually, I think I imagined the G. Canet type as Iorlas, who I devoutly wish had been present.

I saw some little kid leant against the wall of the city, wearing a yellowish hat. If he was supposed to be Bergil, super. If he wasn't, he'd be fine for the role.

Failivrin 03-21-2004 03:53 PM

I see someone like Kathy Bates as Ioreth.

Lord of Angmar 03-21-2004 07:40 PM

I myself would have chosen Kate Hudson for the part of Goldberry, though I cannot for the life of me think of who I would cast as Bombadil. I shall just stick with my opinion that Peter Jackson was right in not including old Tom, jolly as he is. Robin Williams would have been funny, to be sure, but he certainly would not have meshed well with the atmosphere of the first film. I like picturing Bombadil in my own way, and I don't think any actor could ever capture him for me.

I'm not sure why, but I have been picturing Paddy Considine as Eomer recently... perhaps he would have made a good Erkenbrand, assuming he could pull off the proper accent.

Well, there's my slim contribution to the topic, take it or leave it.

:smokin: (honestly, must the pipe-smoking smiley face really come with sunglasses? It seems rather silly.)

Cibbwin 03-21-2004 07:51 PM

Although this is more for The Hobbit, Jude Law as Thranduil. That would be a PERFECT cast.

Orli was a good Legs, but if Jude Law WAS Thranduil, than Ian Somerhalder would make a good Legolas.

Anarion 03-26-2004 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkRose
I wouldn't have imagined Russell Crowe a Bombadil, Anarion! :D He seems too serious.

I think Robin Williams might be interesting as Bombadil.

Bombadil is regarded as an outsider by The Council, DARKROSE.
Mr. Williams does what's known as "character acting", very often satirical.
Russell Crowe has played outsiders in every role so far, except for the film The Insider, in which he plays a renegade of that stereotype.
He's a logical choice, or else Bombadil might seem comic. :)

Garulf 03-28-2004 12:29 PM

This was a big surprise for me, but I read in a magazine that Russell Crowe was one of the original candidates to play Aragorn! That would have been really weird partly because the fact that all of the actors are relatively unknown (to me) makes it all the more believable. Viggo is better, if only because it allowed Crowe to make Master and Commander (which is pretty good) ;)

Anarion 03-28-2004 01:08 PM

Russell Crowe is also a native New Zealander.. LOTR there was filmed.

Failivrin 03-28-2004 02:36 PM

I thought Russell Crowe was Australian?

YES! Jude Law as Thranduil! That is one piece of inspired casting, Cibbwin!

For seom reason i see Gerard Butler as Beorn, but i'm not sure about it yet.

I think Romola Garai would make a rather good Goldberry, actually.

Anarion 03-28-2004 03:53 PM

Russell Crowe
7 April 1964
Wellington, North Island, New Zealand :)

Kransha 03-28-2004 06:16 PM

Well, I should probably state some of my own twisted opinions.

For Imrahil, a very noble individual, Prince of Dol Amroth, I might suggest Patrick Stewart, if he was a wee bit younger. Imrahil is Boromir's uncle, so I suppose he would be of certain age, though I don't know it exactly. He seems to have the regal, bold air about him that would be necessary for the elegant and stunning lord of the Knights of the Swan.

For Erkenbrand, who is generally wizened but still a warrior in his own right, someone like Daniel Day-Lewis I suppose. He seems a little rugged, but has a very experienced and powerful demeanor that could bring depth to the Master of the Westfold. He also has that earthy tone that is necessary for a horsemaster.

For Erkenbrand's nephew, Dunhere, I might be so bold as to suggest a younger Willem Defoe, who seems much more rugged and adventurous in contrast to his uncle. He could pull off that courageous horseman in my unprofessional opinion.

For Ghan-Buri-Ghan, quite possibly a miniaturized Robbie Coltrane, who could easily do that semi-hyper barbarity that Ghan posesses. Though he might be too regal, or quite simply too tall, he seems to fit the gait of a part like that.

Some more suggestions/concepts when my brain has settled.

Aethelwine 04-09-2004 09:01 AM

If anyone's interested...

I found another picture of Glorfindel here.

I think he looks a lot better than on the former picture, don't you think?

Cheers mates!

Aethelwine.

Carlas 04-13-2004 04:24 PM

Diamond of Long Cleeve- Me :p

Thorgis 04-10-2005 03:20 AM

[QUOTE=Failivrin]

YES! Jude Law as Thranduil! That is one piece of inspired casting, Cibbwin!

[QUOTE]

If I´d have a say I would certainly raise my hand in favour of Jude Law. All in doubt just have a look how great he might look:
http://www.henj.nl/Law.htm

If there ever is a Hobbit Movie PJ might also have to deal with the fact that Ian Holm is getting far too old to possibly be considered to play Bilbo again. First disaster for continuity! I have a suggestion that might suit his preference for comedians, though ...
Take a guess who hides behind the face of younger Bilbo? :rolleyes:

Lathriel 04-10-2005 04:00 PM

Goldberry:Scarlet Johansen

I don't think Jude Law would do as Thranduil. Somehow I just can't picture him being the father of Legolas (Orlando Bloom)

Feanor of the Peredhil 04-10-2005 06:41 PM

I always pictured Beorn as Robbie Coltrane.

Kransha: Willem Defoe? I could never get his portrayal in The Boondock Saints out of my head long enough to imagine him as Rohirric. Dunhere would be forever standing in front of a bloody porch screaming "There was a fire fight!" I just can't see that working... I hate how past jobs ruin an actor for me.

As for Goldberry... I'm seeing a blonde Nicole Kidman. Go figure.

Boromir88 04-10-2005 07:26 PM

To tell you the truth Estel, instead of a corsair captain I had always wondered why PJ didn't do a cameo as Forlong. ;)

I am tempted to "cast" Alan Rickman since I've always enjoyed the movies he's been in (especially Harry Potter and Dogma), but I just don't know where to put him. Any help?

I think Robin Williams would make a pretty good Bombadil fellow.

Feanor of the Peredhil 04-10-2005 07:44 PM

Rickman

Behold the Mouth-of-Sauron, Herald of the All-mighty, and Voice of the one true Baddie.

Too bad the Mouth is already cast. Such is life. ;)

Keeper of Dol Guldur 04-11-2005 02:04 PM

Re:

Folks, Imrahil was not Boromir and Faramir's uncle. He was Denethor's cousin.

Boromir was 40 and Faramir was 35. Denethor was 88. In him, the blood of Numenor almost ran true, so he would have lived to a ripe old age in his hundreds. Not as true as Aragorn, who was 87 and still seemed as young as Boromir.

But Imrahil, I always judged, was not much older than Boromir. Maybe 41 or 42. I actually liked their casting of him ... the guy who played him certainly looked fair ... they even accentuated it by making him fair-haired as well, even if in the books he like all Gondorians, had jet black hair. The fair-hair would have added that extra notion if Legolas had mentioned Nimrodel, Amroth, and the 'unrecorded' elf/man mingling that occured in South Gondor.

I wish they had elaborated his part, instead of his being merely the chief of the soldiers. It wouldn't have taken much, a little bit with him talking to Denethor about the siege weapons, him searching the field of the dead, and being one of the guys who saw Eomer scream in anguish, and maybe a little part with him saying "are even the women of Rohan riding to our aid?" and lastly, he should have been at the Black Gates with Aragorn, Eomer, and Legolas. He should have been the knight holding Aragorn's banner, as a matter of fact.

All it would have taken would be like, three close up reaction shots of his face, two more lines, and two or three shots of him personally fighting. Whammo! Prince Imrahil, captain of Dol Amroth.

I pretend like it IS him at the Black Gates with Aragorn. They never show that random soldier's face.

Other than that ... Gildor Inglorien, and Glorfindel. Well, the elf leading the elves Arwen rode with had golden hair ... he might just as well have been Gildor, and at the Coronation, next to Elrond there were TWO golden haired Noldor ... one who as mentioned above was supposed to be Glorfindel ... so perhaps the other was Gildor.

Boromir88 04-11-2005 05:12 PM

Keeper, Denethor married Imrahil's sister, Finduilas. Making him Boromir and Faramir's uncle. ;) I know a girl who was an aunt before she was born. Her older, old, old sister had a kid before her lil sis was born.

I do wish they would have elaborated his part as well. I think it would have given Gondor an extra standout guy, then just your normal soldier that got bitten, walluped, whapped, beaten, smashed, and ground up into little pieces. I don't understand why Jackson added all these extra characters on Rohan's side (Hama, Gamling, Haleth, Aldor, Grimbold) but leaves Gondor to Faramir, his lil bud Madril, and the Denethor brown noser Irolas.

Mithalwen 04-12-2005 11:34 AM

OK this is really Anorak-y but Imrahil is one of my favourites. Home gives the family tree for the Princes of Dol Amroth and at the time of the War of The Ring, Imrahil was about sixty. ( only a little younger than Theoden but since he was of pure Numenorean stock and din't die until 100, he could still be regarded as a man in his prime).

He had three sons all older than Lothiriel who married Eomer, and a two year old grandson. I think his age makes him more of a model for what Denethor should have been both as a leader and a father.

AS for casting him, I might go for someone a bit younger but although he isn't how I visualise a Numenorean (dark hair grey, eyes blah ), since Boromir and Faramir have brownish colouring .... Harrison Ford?

I would like the guy who plays Lucius Malfoy in the HP films to play Thranduil but I have blanked on his name and maybe Jeremy Sheffield as Glorfindel.

Judi Dench should be Ioreth.

Lalwendë 04-12-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I would like the guy who plays Lucius Malfoy in the HP films to play Thranduil but I have blanked on his name

That would be Jason Isaacs. But could we separate him from that marvellously evil performance in Chamber of Secrets?

Miriam Margolyes would have made a good Ioreth too; she is very hobbit like with all that hair, but she could also throw out suitably stern faces such as I imagine Ioreth might make. Alison Steadman might have been interesting in that role too, as I can imagine the sour face she might pull as Aragorn attempts his healing, only to be shocked when his work is pulled off successfully.

David Thewlis might have made a good Bill Ferny if he'd had a speaking part, or even Grima, making him seem less 'oily' and more sneaky.

Mithalwen 04-12-2005 01:32 PM

Ah I did wonder but then there is anothe Jason much older and I got confused :S..
I was thinking of JD as Mistress Quickly in Henry 5....

Thranduil has to be a little bit dangerous....

Boromir88 04-12-2005 01:33 PM

Jason Isaacs was really good in the Patriot.

I always liked William Paxton (the one from Remember the Titans, not Twister). But his southern voice doesn't fit too many middle-earth characters I pressume.

I keep getting the image of Billy Pullman for Imrahil.