The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Art sites (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2904)

Raefindel 06-15-2002 09:48 PM

Art sites

Hi everyone, thought you would enjoy these sites, I sure did!art

more art

Enjoy!

piosenniel 06-16-2002 01:20 AM

That first site, by Anke, was amazing! I really enjoyed her drawings of the Hobbits. They were diminutive people, but still mature, unlike many artists who make them small and ever-childlike.

Thanks for posting these!!

Raefindel 06-16-2002 01:35 AM

Anke is on the second site, too. and there are several paintings of hers that are not on the first. She seems to have a love of Faramir.

piosenniel 06-16-2002 02:19 AM

Yes, I found her on the second site! I am unfamiliar with her as an artist, so I had only looked throught the Howe, Lee, and Nasmith sections.

And as for her emphasis on Faramir - what an excellent subject for her to study! He always came across to me as a very fine Man. I wished there had been more scenes with him in it.

akhtene 06-16-2002 06:25 PM

Very unusual works (I mean Anke) Those pale colours seem most appropriate. But most faces seem to have smth sinister in them (in the eyes especially)

Raefindel 06-16-2002 07:42 PM

Faramir was always my favorite character. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ElanorGamgee 06-16-2002 07:59 PM

Thank you for those links! The pictures are beautiful.

Quote:

I really enjoyed her drawings of the Hobbits. They were diminutive people, but still mature, unlike many artists who make them small and ever-childlike.
I agree. It annoys me to no end when artists portray them as either overgrown babies or old, ugly, funny-looking men.

NyteSky 06-16-2002 08:54 PM

Thanks! I love fantasy art. Anyone else know some good sites for it?
Elfwood's very good, I think they have a tour of Tolkien art as well.

Raefindel 06-16-2002 10:18 PM

Yes, she is just one of their many artists at Elfwood. I've found lots of fantasy galleries, but most of them have both Sci-fi and Fantasy and I don't like sci-fi art.

Guinevere 06-17-2002 10:28 AM

Mae govannen, Raefindel !

I`m pleased that you like the pictures by Anke Eiszmann too. I have been a fan of her art since a long time. I especially like Faramir and Denethor!
The noble Dunedain in her paintings look just as I imagined them when reading LotR. Tall, darkhaired, with keen grey eyes , and a bit sad or even grim. It took me some time to get used to the appearance of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, though he plays very well. I`m afraid I`ll be disappointed by Faramir in the TTT-Movie, I`m so fixed on Anke Eiszmann`s Faramir... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Suilad, Guinevere

Raefindel 06-17-2002 11:26 AM

Mae Govannen,Guinevere! Welcome to the Downs!

I was dissapointed your homepage link doesn't work. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]

Eärendil 06-17-2002 12:19 PM

Wow, these sites are great, wonderful pictures! Thanx a bunch Rae! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Sigh..if only I could draw like that..

Guinevere 06-18-2002 08:39 AM

Hi Raefindel! I do not have a homepage. In fact,`I`m an absolute newbie in the internet - half a year ago I never even used a PC ! Because I`m such a Tolkien-fan, my son (16) showed me how to use the internet and I`m delighted to have found this great site. I`m overwhelmed to find so many other people who share my interest all over the world and to converse with them. It`s a bit like using a palantir, isn`t it ?
Atenio Guinevere

Raefindel 06-18-2002 03:23 PM

Ah Hah! That must be why it doesn't work! LOL! My Son often helps me on the computer, as well(he's 12). Not too many Tolkien Mom's on this site. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I have 3, 2 girls and a boy. How about you?

Guinevere 06-20-2002 07:00 AM

Hi Raefindel, mae govannen!

I hope people on this thread will forgive us for straying from the topic...
I have 2 boys (11 & 16). About a year ago the older one read the Hobbit (in German) and that was my first encounter with Tolkien !(Better late than never!!) I read it, too, (in English), was delighted and continued with LotR. Then I really got spellbound! Hardly ever have I been so fascinated, moved and thrilled by any book.
I`m now in the middle of reading the Silmarillion - quite a challenge for me.
Every now & then I enjoy looking at the numerous Tolkien illustrations by divers artists which my son has downloaded . And I`ve seen the FotR movie 4 times. My husband thinks I`m a bit crazy to be so obsessed with a story. (He never reads a novel, let alone fantasy.)

Suilad, Guinevere

Raefindel 06-20-2002 02:10 PM

I don't seem to have the time it takes to really digest the Sil when I read it. I'm gonna give it away.

Liriodendron 06-20-2002 02:57 PM

Raefindel, I'm so glad you posted this, thanks! I'm an artist and really plan to get serious when my youngest enters first grade this fall. This art work was very nice, good inspiration. I'll come back to it when I'm "alone". I have a 17 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. I see you are a gardener, me too! Cheers [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Raefindel 06-20-2002 03:27 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Liriodendron. Yes I'm a gardner as is Samwise. My youngest starts 1st grade in the fall, too. I have 3, a 12 year old, a 7 year old and a 6year old.

I read on the announcement board how you chose your name. I LOVE IT! It's origional and beautiful. The perfect name for a gardener.

Liriodendron 06-20-2002 11:34 PM

This is our green thumb, I guess! Wouldn't you like to visit the Gamgee garden [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The scientific name for the sweetgum tree is nice too. Liquidambar .
[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]

Feadolena Nolfare 06-21-2002 01:32 AM

huh. what a funny name! Liquidambar! I like that... liquid fate (ambar = fate, elvish attack lol)
Valar, I wish MY mom liked Tolkien [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] she never reads fiction. Rather sad, I think, she hasn't the faintest idea what she's missing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Thanks a million for the link, I've bookmarked it and everything! I really enjoy it, as I've been taking some (VERY)amateurish stabs at Tolkien art myself (which can be seen and laughed at @ my site).

Rose Cotton 06-21-2002 08:30 AM

Thanks!!

orlandoandsaran 06-21-2002 08:44 AM

The drawings are superb...especially of Faramir. Thanx Rae!

Jessica Jade 06-21-2002 11:34 AM

nice site! Thanks for the link!

Greycloak 06-21-2002 11:47 AM

Wow! Those are great! Thanks for posting the link.

ArwenBaggins 07-09-2002 09:57 AM

those are great!