The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sex in RotK?! The Outrage!!!! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9984)

Cinderella 09-07-2003 05:07 PM

Sex in RotK?! The Outrage!!!!

This is from the newest issue of Rolling Stone in the article Fall's Golden Dozen, and I quote, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Just a ten minute taste of <I>King</I> indicates that the battles are bigger, the sex is hotter ( Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn gets it on with elf girl Liv Tyler)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><B>WHAT?!?!</B><BR>*Fumes, rages, etc* <BR>Can anyone either confirm this or give some input or bond with me in my blind fury? What is PJ thinking?! I dearly hope this is incorrect because if it's not this is a shame and a crime against literature... and ten times worse than Faramir

Durelin 09-07-2003 05:14 PM

I wouldn't kill anyone just yet.<P>This article is from Rolling Stones Magazine?<P>...<P>Nuf said.

Cinderella 09-07-2003 05:19 PM

V. true Durelin, but can they just make that stuff up? But then again this is the same magazine that has a two page spread on Hilary Duff...*snigger*

Evisse the Blue 09-07-2003 05:28 PM

Oh, Lordy - first Sauron battling Aragorn now this. Either certain folks are messing with our heads, or they're really trying to ruin this movie.

Goldberry 09-07-2003 05:35 PM

Now <B>that</B> would be bad. But, as the others said, the Rolling Stones may not be the most reliable ...It had just better be wrong, I don't think PJ would do that. *hopes he wouldn't* <P>So I guess we'll just have to wait and see...or wait for more info.<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]

Brinniel 09-07-2003 05:51 PM

I really doubt PJ would do something like that. For one, it doesn't seem like him to add <I>that</I> much romance and besides, I'm sure he'd rather add more action instead.<P>I heard a rumor that a sex scene would be in TTT, and it never happened. I'm sure it won't happen this time.

Daewen 09-07-2003 06:04 PM

They had better not have one! I mean, geeze, all right, I can understand that they needed to make Arwen a more prominent character in order for us to understand her marriage to Aragorn in the end and not just go, hey where did Liv Tyler come from? But I think that she didn't need to be in TTT at all, and there certainly doesn't need to be a sex scene in ROTK. That's just going to far. I think though, that PJ wanted to stick to the books as much as possible, and even though every guy would want to see Liv in that state, I really don't think he'd sacrifice the movie for it. Besides, Christopher Lee is a HUGE Tolkien afficinado, and he wouldn't stand for it, rest assured.

Gorwingel 09-07-2003 06:13 PM

Well Aragorn and Arwen are going to get married. And you know what happens after a couple gets married <P>I wouldn't worry though. There is going to be a lot of stuff in this film. All a sex scene would be is a waste of time.

Pookabunny 09-07-2003 06:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn gets it on with elf girl Liv Tyler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, they *do* end up with kids, and that's where babies come from <P>Serious, I don't think there will be a sex <I>scene</I> in the next movie. I'm sure there will be some of the "Oh Aragorn, ya tasty man ya. All hot n bothered after kicking Uruk-arse, let's smoochie" or something to that extent.<P>The sex is <I>hotter</I>? Compared to what we've seen? Psssh, ain't no thang. The only 'sex' stuff we've seen is in spoof photos. And that little scene by the water with the horse. BUT THAT DIDN'T COUNT! <P>So yea. It's cool. No nookie, at least not on a Matrix-reloaded scale. I hope.<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: Pookabunny ]

Cinderella 09-07-2003 06:43 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Oh Aragorn, ya tasty man ya. All hot n bothered after kicking Uruk-arse, let's smoochie" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*Dies* <P>Pookabunny just made me feel so much better... hahaha smoochie...hahaha<P>But I still can't help but wonder where Rolling Stone heard this madness about a sex scene...

GaladrieloftheOlden 09-07-2003 06:46 PM

They probably came to that conclusion themselves. I mean, try, for a moment, to think of how Lord of the Rings would be as a Hollywood-type film. *choke* That is most likely how they think of it. In which case, it is quite logical to throw in a sex scene here and there. They don't even think about how it would ruin the movie... <P>Swan song,<BR>-Menelien<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]

Angadraug 09-07-2003 07:06 PM

If there is a sex scene how far can it go? Peter Jackson and New Line have an agreement that all three movies have to be rated PG-13 and I have yet to see a movie that has "real" sex scene thats rated PG-13.

HCIsland 09-07-2003 07:22 PM

Well I did hear they signed on Barry White for the soundtrack. <P>"Oh Baby!"<P>H.C.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 09-07-2003 07:27 PM

Not only do I find this highly unlikely, for a number of the reasons discussed above, but let me offer an even more logical reason: They simply can't have anything like that in ROTK. TTT was very close to an R rating as it was. What with all of the major battles and fighting in RoTK (not mention other things, in the text ROTK was intense and at times violent, even without a PJization), it will be a marvel in it is not R-rated (even though it can't be and still hold a significant portion of its target audience). So if any little thing was added, I think ROTK would end up forfeiting its PG-13 rating.

Pookabunny 09-07-2003 08:08 PM

Rolling Stone's take on The Lord of the Rings. Honestly, they should stick to what they know. Kinda like what MTV used to do.<P>BARRY WHITE!!! Dude that's awesome.

Beren87 09-07-2003 08:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I dearly hope this is incorrect because if it's not this is a shame and a crime against literature... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's quite the overstatement.<P>So what if they do get a little..erm..randy, at least it's something that <I>does</I> happen, and isn't really a plot change. It appeals to a wider audience, (Actually, that appeals to nearly every audience) so PJ is probably correct in putting it in.

Arwen Eruantale 09-07-2003 08:49 PM

I am sorry Beren87, if anything in the following post offends you, but I <I>must</I> disagree. It would not be right at all. And I myself am proof that such horrid things of that sort do not appeal to 'every audience'.<BR>Tolkien gave no indication that anything 'happened' at all before they were married, and I do not remember any mention of their children until after he stated clearly that they lived six score years together. <P>This would indeed be wrong and shameful thing on the part of Peter Jackson. He has been true enough to the books up to this point to have my faith, and I really hope this is not true... If only for his sake.<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Helín Anyára 09-07-2003 10:20 PM

If I ever see it with my own eyes (actually-- I wouldn't want to-- just to hear conclusive evidence that it is there), perhaps I will allow myself to rant and rave, then. As it is now, it is too unbelievable to really take seriously. I can only say that there is a lot of trash that should never have been made a movie, that WAS made, for the sake of "appealing to a wider audience". <P>If there really were such a *scene* in the movie, it would ruin the entire thing for me, quite honestly. Look at the complete successes that ARE FotR and TTT, and there was not ONE scene worth deleting in there. Look how well PJ has done, thus far, without this! I have perfect faith that the third, sure-to-be-awesome finale of this trilogy will lack nothing, and be a huge hit among a variety of audiences, <I>without</I> including anything that would be a waste of time, innocence, and energy to include.<P>Not that I feel strongly about the issue... or anything. And please no one take offense at anything I say. I just mean to state my own opinion as every else states theirs...

TolkienGurl 09-07-2003 10:57 PM

Pookie, you crack me up! *cracks up* (And yes I just called you Pookie.) <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>This article is from Rolling Stones Magazine?<P>...<P>Nuf said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>And I second that! RS Mag is just pulling our legs.<P>From a serious point of view, do any of you think PJ would really go that far off track? Would he deviate so far from canon just to add a little "spice" to the movie (and risk assassination by rabid LotR fans)? I personally don't think he would.<P>And wouldn't a sex scene (in addition to all the violence) raise the rating to R? I thought there was some contract to keep the rating PG-13. *shrugs* I could be wrong.<P>~TG

Lush 09-07-2003 11:58 PM

Oh no, they said <I>sex</I>!!! The outrage!!! I think I'm going to take a little detour on my way to the anti-condom rally and shoot Peter Jackson!!!<P> <P>The people @ <I>Rolling Stone</I> are baiting you. It's their job, they do it for pay. Their whole reason for existing are threads like this. <P>Now I'm personally not averse to seeing a little Viggo action myself. But I can always rent "A Walk on the Moon" for that. <P>*Lush goes off to consider whom she will bully into driving her to Blockbuster tomorrow night*

Annalaliath 09-08-2003 12:45 AM

Okay I think that this won't come to a Clockwork Orange type sex thing, what is PJ gonna do? Make the necking scene more intence. Ha that would be the day. Besideds the ratings would go up and it would make it harder for younger watchers to go see it freely. Although, at the age of 10 I saw Hamberger Hill with my parents. <P><BR>I think that PJ wouldn't do that in a million years. He's already got people miffed about the Arwen Glorfindel ordeal and he's not about to sign his own death warrent in putting a sex scene in the ROTK.<P>Enough said.<P>Annalaliath

Meela 09-08-2003 03:55 AM

Sex? In the films? Of Lotr? That's about as likely as Gandalf teaming up with the Balrog to kill Frodo, steal the ring, and turn Rivendell into a luxury spa resort, Aragorn marrying Faramir, and Eowyn fainting at the mere thought of handling a weapon.

Snowdog 09-08-2003 07:57 AM

Well in Penthouse magazine there was an article about Aragorn getting caught in the act with Eowyn.... <P>Seriously, don't believe that stuff, and I have to agree with this quote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>This article is from Rolling Stones Magazine?<P>...<P>Nuf said.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One Axe to Rule them All 09-08-2003 10:06 AM

<B>Sex! Sex!</B> Someone's gonna die!<BR>They wouldn't add sex to a movie like RoTK, if they did, their sales would go through the floor. Down, that is.

The Only Real Estel 09-08-2003 10:55 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>All a sex scene would be is a waste of time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, & I'd just die sitting next to my dad through the whole thing ! Put it this way: I don't think PJ would put <B>that</B> in there, but if he does...lets just say it'll drive Faramir & everything else out of my mind. Bring on the picketing.

Elentári 09-08-2003 11:27 AM

What kind of a magazine is this anyway???<BR>But no one over the net seems to have picked up on it and made a fuss, so I assume it's nothing to worry about.

Diamond18 09-08-2003 11:33 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Oh, Lordy - first Sauron battling Aragorn now this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Perhaps Aragorn and Arwen will consummate their relationship in front of the Black Gate.

Faramir Fan 09-08-2003 12:24 PM

...heh<P>Does this mean we get to see Faramir and Eowyn hot and heavy too...What about Sam and Rosie?<P>

dancing spawn of ungoliant 09-08-2003 12:34 PM

Oh no, that's really something I don't even want to think about! A Matrix reloaded - kind of sex scene would totally ruin the atmosphere of the film. And what's the thing with Barry White, huh? Fingers crossed that we all can love every part of RotK when we finally see it!

Airerûthiel 09-08-2003 12:39 PM

Given the fact that there are three battle scenes in RotK, and it's a three and a half hour movie (expect to be pulling a major sickie if you're planning to watch all the extended cuts come Christmas-ish 2004), I find it highly doubtful that Peter Jackson would find the time to squeeze in a sex scene. Besides, doesn't Aragorn have better things to do (and Arwen also now she's stolen Éowyn's role)?

Sapphire_Flame 09-08-2003 12:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>This article is from Rolling Stones Magazine?<P>...<P>Nuf said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Exactly. I have a hard time believing that PJ would put a sex scene into RotK, in fact, I find the idea totally ludicrous. First, there is no point to it; it would merely distract from the main story (like Arwen showing up in Towers did). Second, it would most definitely raise the rating from PG-13 to R, and I know for a fact that PJ will not risk losing much of his audience with a move like that. Last, there is always the chance that such a scene will cause PJ's assassination by a mob of rabid LotR purist-type fans who would take it as a form of blasphemy. Which it is.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~

Ophelia 09-08-2003 12:53 PM

Sex?More sex? What is it with this huh?There was allready too much of needless Arwen-Aragorn talks that made no difference to the film . And I thought that , you know , this film is a beautyful one and there are not too much of those cliches and I was glad that this work will not be done by an American director (no offence) because in every movie they make there is sex , blood and lots of nakedness . <BR>If PJ does this to J.R.R.Tolkien's epic I will kill him my self <BR>Guess who's dissed right now ?

Lord of Angmar 09-08-2003 01:09 PM

Peter Jackson would not have the nerve nor the disrespect to Professor Tolkien to film an Aragorn and Arwen sex scene for the Return of the King. Also, as someone else said, Christopher Lee would not hear of it. He would quit the project before he allowed Peter Jackson to film such a thing.

Arwen Eruantale 09-08-2003 02:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>there is always the chance that such a scene will cause PJ's assassination by a mob of rabid LotR purist-type fans who would take it as a form of blasphemy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh yess. <P>But I really don't think that will be necessary... *crosses fingers*

Lyta_Underhill 09-08-2003 03:04 PM

Personally, I'm just waiting for Frodo's nude scene... <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta

Cinderella 09-08-2003 03:30 PM

Beren: <BR>Maybe it was an overstatement but you have to consider that when I posted this I had just read the article and hadn't cooled down yet about the whole thing...<BR>I only called it a crime against literature because to me Prof. Tolkien's books have a little more depth than that and that would be making them simply shallow films and its a cheap way to attract an audience.

One Axe to Rule them All 09-08-2003 03:48 PM

It won't be the first time liv is nude in a film, that's even if it happens, though.

Meneltarmacil 09-08-2003 04:44 PM

I highly doubt that this rumor is true, especially considering the source. They are probably just making things up.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally, I'm just waiting for Frodo's nude scene...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think they're really going to show that in the movie.

Lush 09-08-2003 05:11 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with nudity per se. In fact, if we lived in a more mature society, I would welcome nudity in any film with open arms and an open wallet (and Frodo is nude in the book at least once, as I recall).<P>As for the actual act of making love, that was never mentioned in LotR. I know you're going to think me absolutely <I>crazy</I>, he he, but sex scenes were never Tolkien's forte!!!!!! Neither are they Peter Jackson's, though he did do a lovely job in terms of handling the alienation and boredom that sex often brings in "Heavenly Creatures."<P>So keep littering the thread with little angry-faces, if you really don't have anything better to do, but I think a sex scene is as likely as a crack-smoking scene.<p>[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]

HCIsland 09-08-2003 05:12 PM

Oh man, and I heard they were borrowing the prosthetic from Boogy Nights. <P>H.C.