The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What if someone ELSE was the Ringbearer? What would've happened??? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5457)

The Green Ringwraith 07-30-2002 08:16 AM

What if someone ELSE was the Ringbearer? What would've happened???

What do you think would have happend, say, Pippin was the Ringbearer? Or Legolas? Or maybe even someone that wasn't in the Fellowship? Your thoughts...

Anna Licumo 07-30-2002 08:37 AM

If poor Pippin was the Ringbearer, we would be in serious trouble. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] He'd probably drop it down a well! And when he looked into the Palantir? Eek. Not good.
Legolas or Gimli would have been interesting, but Aragorn and Gandalf would have been seriously bad- Aragorn having to take the roll of King later, and Gandalf being an Istari. I don't know how Merry would have taken it, but I don't think I would have given it to him, light hearted soul that he is. Boromir would have been a disaster, obviously.
Sam, now *he* would have been the most interesting to watch. I bet he would, too, volunteer to take the Ring so his Master won't have too- and he even does, for a while anyway. (And such delusions of grandeur- Master Gardner! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) Anyone want to puzzle on what would have happened to him?

Shadowstrife911 08-05-2002 03:06 PM

I think we can safely say that Boromir wouldn't have been their first choice [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cerin 08-05-2002 03:15 PM

I know Aragorn would have been reliable enough...and he seemed to have more strength to resist the power of the Ring.

But I`m not so sure Gollum would have taken him to Mordor so easily [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Niphredil Baggins 08-09-2002 07:31 AM

Aragorn, now... strenght, yes, but too much power, too much Numenor in his blood (after all, that particular continend DID sink!)
It has to be someone 'weak', like a hobbit; even gollum did relatively little harm all those years he had it, whereas a heir of Isildur... who has Sauron to thank for not having had a kingdom all those long centuries since Valandil... Better to utilize Aragorn's loyalty: he would never, ever steal or cheat, that is beneath him. So a perfect guardian to the Ringbearer.

Of the hobbits, Sam might do well... but HE has no faithful servant to support him! And he wouldn't let anyone, the humle guy who wants to carry twice the package the others have... it would be difficult for Sam to accept support and an important position... he's so surprised to end up as the Mayor of the Shire, how could he handle being Ringbearer any longer than he absolutely has to!

Pippin... would put it on. Just to see what happens.

And if Merry had it, Pippin would pick his pockets and put the ring on. Their friendship would suffer, Pippin is no Samwise.

If Legolas had it? The son of Thranduil, Thranduil who likes jewellery a LOT.. we would have another 'Denethor' demanding his son bring him a 'valuable gift'? And all the High Elves would be offended by the choosing of a Forest Elf... also, though I presume Legolas isn't a crown prince, there might just be the same problem as with Aragorn. Also, Legolas would get depressed and want to sail over the ocean... the elves ARE waning, their sun is setting...

Gimli? Are you nuts, he's a dwarf and it's GOLD!

Child of the 7th Age 08-09-2002 08:07 AM

Gold or not, didn't dwarves have more resistence to the wiles of the Enemy when they were created? The Silm says this, I believe. Aule knew Morgoth was on the loose at the time, and built it into their system.

sharon

Lord Tohlos 08-10-2002 07:48 PM

I would have chossen Boromir to take it...MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!