The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "Bad Guy" Trivia (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10278)

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-11-2003 07:42 PM

Could we have a clue on this one Pallando? I'm interesed to know the answer... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

-Sophia

Pallando B.C 04-12-2003 05:10 AM

Consult Unfinished Tales.

elven maiden Earwen 04-12-2003 06:31 PM

Tevildo, or Melkor?

Annunfuiniel 04-13-2003 08:56 AM

Lorgan, (some sort of) chieftain of the Easterlings. He enslaved Tuor whose axe was treasured in Numenor.

Pallando B.C 04-13-2003 07:25 PM

Lorgan it is!

Kain Snowbrace 04-13-2003 07:47 PM

hey how goes it.

Annunfuiniel 04-14-2003 03:14 PM

Ok, this goes cryptic again but it's dead easy as you can see:

In this story Cain, the first of the two,
got himself slain.
It's said that his slayer
cut off his head
and - as if that wasn't enough -
replaced it with Nana's head.
Now I'm confused: who slayed
and whom?

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

Gil-Galad 04-17-2003 01:12 PM

i have a feeling its Melkor?

Estanesse 04-18-2003 05:21 AM

Is it Azog

Gil-Galad 04-18-2003 07:47 AM

Glaurang or Gothmog?

Annunfuiniel 04-23-2003 02:04 PM

Sorry 'bout the delay...
I don't see the right answer yet so keep on guessing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I edited all the non-relevant stuff from the clue to make it clearer. Sorry it's still so stupid, it really wasn't my day back then... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 04-23-2003 05:20 PM

It's not stupid at all. I like the cryptic ones, Annunfuiniel. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Not too sure how this works, but cutting off Cain's head (C) and replacing it with Nana's head (N), I get Nain.

So is it Nain of the Iron Hills (the slain) and Azog the Goblin King (his slayer)?

Edit: Mind you, Azog has already been guessed, so might it instead be Nain I and his slayer, the Balrog of Moria?

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Annunfuiniel 04-25-2003 09:42 AM

Quote:

Edit: Mind you, Azog has already been guessed, so might it instead be Nain I and his slayer, the Balrog of Moria?
Yes, yes, yes! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I hope it makes sense now... Please proceed Saucepan Man! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 04-25-2003 08:17 PM

Thank you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

While we're in cryptic mood ...

Take a drink, but not initially going home tonight. One of Thorin's company follows. He loses nothing but finds the first of the Nine. I have to say that this is a sad howler.

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Gil-Galad 04-26-2003 06:23 PM

Gandalf with knowign Bilbo has a magic ring or Bilbo finding the ring from Gollum?

The Saucepan Man 04-26-2003 07:57 PM

No, in keeping with the title of the thread, this is definately one of the Bad Guys.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-27-2003 12:53 AM

Have anything to do with Thror's return to Moria (followed by Balin one of Thorin's company...) in which case the bad guy involved could be the Necromancer, or perhaps the Witch King (first of the Nine?)

Sophia

Annunfuiniel 04-27-2003 08:55 AM

I'm totally stumped and jumping on the walls here! But I just have to take a guess and say Carcharoth...

The Saucepan Man 04-27-2003 07:38 PM

No correct answer yet. But, Annunfuiniel, you are sooooooo close. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Great new avatar, by the way. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Annunfuiniel 04-28-2003 12:07 AM

Thanks Saucepan! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
How about another "howler" then ie. Draugluin? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Take a drink, but not initially going home tonight. - Draug(ht)?
One of Thorin's company follows. - -uin>>Oin??
He loses nothing but finds the first of the Nine. - the 'L' in the middle as in Lord of the Nazgul?
A biiiiit far fetched... *grin*

The Saucepan Man 04-28-2003 07:06 AM

No, not far-fetched at all, Annunfuiniel. In fact, very near-fetched, as it is the correct answer. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] You seem to have a talent for guessing my attempts at cryptic clues. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Take a drink, but not initially going home tonight. - This was indeed "Draught" without "ght", the initial letters of "going home tonight"

One of Thorin's company follows. He loses nothing but finds the first of the Nine. - The member of Thorin's company that I had in mind was Gloin, who loses "o" (nothing) but gains "u", the first letter of Ulairi, another name for the Nazgul, giving "gluin".

But them together, and you get Draugluin.

And sad howler? Well, the meaning of Draugluin is "blue wolf". [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Well done. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-28-2003 10:34 AM

Good heavens! *Sophia shakes her head* you two are way beyond me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Annunfuiniel 04-28-2003 11:31 AM

lol So I was sort of half way there... I was quite certain it was Draugluin but I just couldn't make it work properly, way too devious for me. Yet again, after your explanations Saucepan, it makes perfect sense. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Uh-oh, another cryptic one coming up! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Take the Ring! You, make the long story short and you'll gain the third place from its rightful owner. And Nienna will water the lowered hill with her tears. Could it be used as a hide?

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

The Saucepan Man 05-06-2003 06:38 PM

OK, Annun, I give up.

I definately need a hint on this one ... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-06-2003 08:05 PM

Yes, Annun, this is what a certain someone might call a "nassssty poser". Hint hint! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Annunfuiniel 05-06-2003 11:50 PM

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Finally I have stumped ye! *jumps up and down and down and up*
Ehem, sorry about that...

Ok: The last sentence is a (straightforward?) clue to this bad guy, to its bearing, the others make up a cryptic clue. The second sentence hints to one letter only.

Hope those help. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
~Annun

Gil-Galad 05-15-2003 06:35 AM

i think it has soemthing to do with when Ungoliant and Melkor destoyed teh trees and Nienna cryed all of the darkness away from a hill. tell me if i'm on the right track?

Gil-Galad 05-19-2003 08:37 AM

am i on right track?!

Annunfuiniel 05-19-2003 08:39 AM

Sorry, Gil-Galad for not responding earlier... And sorry again, but you're not on the right track. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Need more clues?
~Annun

Gil-Galad 05-19-2003 03:55 PM

i kept thinking the ring is the ring of doom, and it has somethign to do with the darkening

Annunfuiniel 05-19-2003 04:06 PM

No, the ring in question is no particular Ring (I altered the first sentence slightly, take a look at it now).

Hint: There are wings involved...

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]Annun

The Saucepan Man 05-19-2003 06:11 PM

Arrgghh! This answer occurred to me right at the outset, but I couldn't see how it worked. The cloud has now lifted! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Take the Ring! = Thering
You, make the long story short and you'll gain the third place from its rightful owner: Shorten "the" to "th" and add the third letter of "you" = Thuring
And Nienna will water the lowered hill with her tears. = Shorten "hill" to "hil" and water it = wethil
Could it be used as a hide? = Thuringwethil's skin was used by Luthien to disguise herself.

So the answer is Thuringwethil

Excellent one, Annun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Annunfuiniel 05-20-2003 02:09 AM

Phew, I began to loose hope already... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
*bows* Saucepan Man, Excellent job! And the stage is all yours. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 05-20-2003 06:59 AM

OK, my mind is not in cryptic mood today, so back to a straightforward trivia question:

How many varieties of Troll are mentioned by JRRT in connection with Middle Earth, and what are they?

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-20-2003 09:24 AM

Six, I believe.

Cave-trolls (Met in Moria)
Hill-trolls (These chopped Aragorn's grampa)
Stone-trolls (Bilbo's trolls? I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain I've heard them mentioned)
Mountain-trolls (Weilders of Grond)
Snow-Trolls (This one I had to look up, Helm Hammerhand was compared to one, we never actually meet one)
Olog-hai (Bred by Sauron)

? Did I miss any?

The Saucepan Man 05-20-2003 12:51 PM

No, you didn't miss any (as far as I know), so, yes, you are correct. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-23-2003 07:02 PM

When doom approaches the halls of silent kings
the great waves follow the promised words of old.

Gil-Galad 05-24-2003 01:17 PM

does it have somethign to do with Mandos? since he is the doommans of the Valar and he predicted the downfall of Beleriand and his halls have evrything that died in it?

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-24-2003 04:03 PM

Nope [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img].

Sophia

Eruanna 05-25-2003 12:23 PM

I'm thinking of Glaurung the dragon, who settled in the Halls of Finrod Felagund. And good old Turin Turambar~ the Master of Doom, who killed him.