The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Death of Saruman Confirmed? **SPOILERS** (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9865)

peonydeepdelver 07-07-2003 10:32 AM

Death of Saruman Confirmed? **SPOILERS**

I was browsing around and came across this mini-article with Ian McKellan that basically confirms that Saruman will indeed fall from a height and "come to a sticky end", as Ian McKellan puts it. You can read it and weep <A HREF="http://www.killermovies.com/l/lotrthereturnoftheking/articles/3037.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A>. I just hope Wormtongue stabs him first...

Legolas 07-07-2003 11:25 AM

There's been a picture floating around for quite sometime (even before The Two Towers was released) of Saruman lying chest up with a large spike (from a mill or something?) going all the way through his abdomen.

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 07-07-2003 11:50 AM

I've seen that picture, Legolas. And Saruman was supposed to die at the end of Towers?!? Ooh, PJ would have gotten SO many death threats...

peonydeepdelver 07-07-2003 12:17 PM

Yeah, I saw that picture too, but when I saw it, everyone was sure that it was just to throw us off. I think that Ian McKellan has basically confirmed how Saruman will die in ROTK, unless of course PJ is paying him double to throw us off again.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 07-07-2003 01:24 PM

i heard that they shot a few different deaths for saruman, but if they want to use the "sticky wheel"-one, well fine. i just hope that they do it stylishly.

Beren87 07-07-2003 02:00 PM

I see wormtongue pushing Saruman off a very large something, onto a spikey..something.<P>-Beren, the neighborhood seer.

Theoric Windcaller 07-07-2003 03:32 PM

**SPOILER**<P>**MAJOR SPOILER**<P>**SERIOUSLY**<P><BR>I have heard from some sources that the last installment (TRotK) will not include the chapter, "The Scourging of the Shire."

The Only Real Estel 07-07-2003 03:56 PM

The Scouring of the Shire will not be included. Wormtonuge will slit Saruman's throat on top of Orthanc ( or inside of Isengard? ); then throw him of the top of the tower ( or out of a window? ). That much is confirmed. The spikey wheel throw the abdomen thing has only about a 30-70 chance of having made the final cut, since lots of LOTR fans already had seen leaked pics of it for quite some time now...still, don't count it out.

peonydeepdelver 07-07-2003 04:25 PM

All I have to say is that if it comes from Ian McKellan's mouth, then it's the truth. Too bad about the Scouring, that was like THE greatest part! But this scene (if he ends up falling onto the spikes) will pay homage to Lee's role as Dracula.

Roccotari Eldandil 07-08-2003 07:37 PM

Grrrr!!! Oh well, I hope they at least have the part where his spirit rises up and looks west and gets blown away. That was pretty awesome when I read it (the 2nd time, after reading Silm and understanding all about the Istari). If they don't put that in there I'll be kind of annoyed (not majorly "Kill PJ, this movie sucks, but still ticked off).

The Only Real Estel 07-08-2003 08:42 PM

Well put.

Silmiel of Imladris 07-08-2003 09:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And Saruman was supposed to die at the end of Towers?!? Ooh, PJ would have gotten SO many death threats... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>One of them would have been from me that's for sure. I don't have a clue why PJ is going about things as he is. The only logical explanation for not putting the Scouring of the Shire in that I can think of is that PJ is planning to do more with the apendixes. (Aragorn's and Arwen's death, Legolas and Gimli crossing the sea, Sam and Rosey's huge litter of little hobbits, ect...)

Finwe 07-11-2003 09:55 AM

Actually, the reason he's making so many changes is that if they stuck with the books, they would have a 3+ hour movie. I don't think the non-Tolkien audience would sit through that, and that is mainly who the movie is being made for. Unfortunately, we are the minority.

Olorin 07-11-2003 12:07 PM

This agitates me. I was really p*ssed off/dissapointed with all the changes in TTT and now this! Grr... *Smoke comes out of my ears* I hope PJ doesn't change too much else.<P>I say, okay, let them leave out some parts (for instance, the beginning of FotR,) but atleast get the parts that do go in right!

The Only Real Estel 07-15-2003 01:40 PM

And quit adding stuff that doesn't fit well:<BR>#1-Farimir being crooked<BR>#2-The entire Osgiliath business<BR>#3-Aragorn remembering he & Arwen's talk back in Rivendell<BR>#4-Aragorn's cliff-falling 'accident'<BR>#5-Theoden becoming a lesser version of Denethor (although it fit better than the above)<BR>#6-Replacing Erkenbrand w/ Eomer, so we can't see Eomer at Helm's Deep in action<BR> The warg seen was added, but it fit right in to the movie, so it was fine.

Finwe 07-15-2003 02:36 PM

Guys, instead of complaining, why not realize that all these changes make the movie better? I mean, granted Faramir isn't supposed to be an *** , but wasn't that little twist exciting? Didn't it add to the drama? That was what PJ wanted. I'm sorry to disillusion most of you, but those changes were implemented for a reason, and whining about them won't help a thing. They'll just ruin the movies for us. So for Eru's sake, stop whining!!!!

The Only Real Estel 07-15-2003 05:49 PM

It added a little more drama, but if you put Shelob in there instead, THAT is what would add whatever you can possibly think of to the movie. Also, these things are not always for the better. PJ will be squashed for time now in RotK.

Meneltarmacil 07-15-2003 06:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>PJ will be squashed for time now in RotK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He'll make up for it by not filming the Scouring of the Shire.

The Only Real Estel 07-15-2003 08:22 PM

Yeah, but that doesn't make me feel much better ( or other fans )! Anyhoo, my point was: He still has to get in Shelob, Minas Morgul, & the Wizard Confrontation; & I'd rather've had him leave out a few of his own ammendments, & get the important stuff IN. Instead of trying to figure out what he can leave OUT.

Meneltarmacil 07-15-2003 08:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yeah, but that doesn't make me feel much better ( or other fans )!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too, but what can we do about it? (by the way, didn't you notice my "mad" icon in the last post? That shows that I DIDN'T like the fact.)

The Only Real Estel 07-15-2003 08:28 PM

Yes I did. I was showing that I was unhappy about it too.