The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Admin Thread for Werewolf LXXXI: Under the Misty Mountains (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16792)

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-04-2010 06:34 PM

Admin Thread for Werewolf LXXXI: Under the Misty Mountains

The Moddesses:
Nienna
Fea

The Players:

4 – fake orcs (Sons of Elrond; 'wolves'); Elladan, Elrohir, Arathorn, Elalternate
1 – seer (orc with prophetic dreams)
1 – orc of undetermined allegiance (player chooses xer own good/evil alignment on the second Day)
X – orcs (villagers)

The Concept:

In the year 2933 of the Third Age, there were rumors in the deeps of the Misty Mountains. Rumors of guards gone missing, hunters never returned to their homes. Children disappeared from their chores along the edges of the subterranean lakes, never to be seen again.

“Mommy,” cried Ashkrag as she wiped her nose on Gnashkrag's rags, “Gripklav and Kashvak said the Elf Twins are waiting in the cavern next to the cave where I sleep. Gripklav says when I fall asleep, they'll creep into my room and cut my head off.”

Ashkrag sobbed and sniffled, tears from her big brown eyes pooling and dripping from the wrinkles in her tiny gray cheeks. Gnashkrag soothed her youngest orclet and settled the girl between her knees. Gnashkrag patiently finger-combed and redid several of the tiny braids that covered Ashkrag's head. They'd come unraveled as little Ash scavenged the lake edge for dead creatures the family might eat. When Ash hit her head on a rock outcropping, the blood from the small wound matted the little girl's hair. Gnashkrag could smell it, but there was no fresh water in these mountains except that which flowed in when it rained. The lake water deep under the mountain tasted bitter, like the metal of the rusty axes the goblin men had taken from the Dwarf coffers. The Dwarves had been all dead, or had fled, when the Men and Elves chased the orcs yet again into the most treacherous and forbidding parts of the mountains. The Dwarves, greedy and arrogant, had dug too deep in their mines, invading the territory of the fire demon. Gnash dared not think of its name as she cuddled her child.

When the Men and Elves chased the goblins with bright swords and blind rage, the goblins had fled to the mountains. The Dwarves were gone by then, long gone. For no other race would live so close to the fire demon. And yet the goblins were given no choice, driven from every piece of land, from every hill or field. Driven deep underground. Driven from the safety of the shallow caves near forests filled with food and drink. Driven from the deeper caves, farther from food, but safer from Men and the rage that drives them. Driven deep, deep into the earth, where only the dead and the demons crawl.

Desperate for food and fresh water, Gnashkrag's clan had moved closer to the surface, risking the danger of the world above only for the sake of survival. Under the mountain was only cold, and dark, and death.

Gnash kissed Ashkrag's furrowed brow and laid her back upon her rag bed, promising the guards would protect them all from the bad creatures that might try to come into the caves.

“Hush, little Ashkrag. The Elf Twins are only a story your brothers tell to scare you. No creature, Elf or Man or mean old Troll could be so cruel as the tales they tell of the ancient Elf Twins.”

“But Mommy,” she sniffed, “Grandfather says he used to look at trees, and listen to birds. What are birds? He says they tweet, but Elves chased him with swords and bows and fire.”

“Elves are cruel,” Gnash whispered, “but they will not come here so far from their precious light.”

“But the Elf Twins!”

“Go to sleep,” Gnash snapped. “They are just a bad dream, invented by naughty orclets to make each other afraid.”

As her children slept fitfully on the cold wet stone, wriggling within their piles of rags, attempting to find comfort, Gnashkrag sharpened her poorly made dagger and twitched her long, pointy ears, listening closely for any sound of danger, though she knew that if the Sons of Elrond came, neither she, nor her children, would survive.

--

Elladan and Elrohir sharpened their Elf-blades in the light of the fire. “You do not understand, Arathorn. The only good orc is a dead orc.”

“But those who tormented your mother have been dead for generations of human lives,” Arathorn said, stoking the flames lazily, listening to the howls of wolves on the cold autumnal air.

“Their spawn carry the stain of their evil. Until Middle Earth is wiped of the filth that is the goblin race, the memory of our mother is insulted.”

Arathorn sat pondering this as he cleaned and cooked a pair of rabbits.

Later, as Elladan hunted the shadows for orcs, Elrohir sat beside Arathorn and spoke, looking up at the silver moon. “They eat babies. Aragorn will be hunted, tortured, eaten by them before he ever grows to manhood. The line of Kings will end. They are demons of the Dark Lord's minions.”

Arathorn's eyes hardened.

Elrohir said, “You must show no mercy, or none will be shown to those you hold dear.”

--

When orcs began to disappear in the night, never to be seen again, the clan held a meeting to seek out who amongst them was a danger to the rest. Votes would be offered to choose which clansmen would be cast from the ranks of the rest.

“Dhum-asarok should not be allowed a vote!” shouted Ang-griful at Grandfather Rathbone. “He is an idiot! We can't trust him to make decisions for the clan! He'll doom us all and leave us to the mercies of the pointy eared immortal freaks that would kill us all as soon as look at us.”

“The voices of all must be heard,” interrupted Rath. “So says traditions, and so says the Goblin King. But do not fear, for the voices of the masses will not directly choose which clan members will be banished. Instead, the clan members will choose others whose opinions they respect, to make the decisions for the good of the clan.”

Rath's statement was met with the gnashing of teeth.

“So I have said,” Rath repeated loudly, “And so it shall be!”

Night Time:

Nights will last 24 hours.

The Sons of Elrond have the right and ability to communicate amongst themselves. They will choose an orc to kill. They will send the name of this orc to the moderators at least one hour before Day is to begin. That villager will be found dead at dawn.

The seer has the right and ability to request the identity of one villager per Night from the moderator.

Beginning on Night Three, the orc of unknown allegiance will receive intelligence based on xis decision of allegiance (which xe will make via PM on Day Two). If this tricksy orc chooses to ally xerself with the Sons of Elrond, xe will learn the identity of one Son of Elrond per Night until each Son is revealed. The Sons of Elrond will be notified that this orc is now playing for their side, but they will not be given the player's identity. If this orc chooses to ally xerself with the village, xe will receive the names of the players the seer has dreamt of, but not their roles. The seer will be notified that this orc is now playing for their side, but they will not be given the player's identity. The orc of unknown allegiance appears as as such to the seer, should xe be dreamt of. If the seer dreams of xim before xe chooses sides, the seer will be updated as to xer side once xe has chosen. The orc of unknown allegiance MUST choose a side on Day Two and may not remain neutral.

Day Time:

Days will last 48 hours.

During the Day, the Sons of Elrond are forbidden from communicating amongst themselves via Private Message.

The Day will contain two deadlines.

Deadline One will occur at the end of the first 24 hours. It is by Deadline One that the players must choose who will represent their interests in the final vote. Players will not vote for the player they believe to be a Son of Elrond. Players will vote for another player to represent them: these chosen players are thence forward called Representatives. A player must acquire a minimum of two non-retractable votes of confidence in order to become a Representative. A player may never vote for his or herself. A Representative’s vote carries as much power as there were votes to make said player a Representative, therefore: the final vote of a Representative who was chosen by four players will have exactly twice as much weight as the final vote of a Representative who was chosen by only two villagers. As long as a villager has received at least two non-retractable votes of confidence from the village before Deadline One, xe will be considered a Representative for the final vote.

Votes of confidence (which elect Representatives) should appear as:

++Fea

Deadline Two will coincide with the end of the Day (24 hours after Deadline One). It is by Deadline Two that the village’s chosen Representatives must decide upon who will be lynched. To reiterate: the village will have 24 hours during which to choose Representatives, who will have a further 24 hours to vote for who they think should be lynched as a Son of Elrond. Representatives are by no means obligated to vote according to the wishes of their constituents, though it should be obvious that voting against the wishes of the people who elected you will probably result in bad karma and swift lynching.

The final non-retractable lynch-vote given by a Representative as a means to choose which villager is to be killed at the end of Day should appear as:

++Fea++

All villagers are allowed to talk for the entire duration of the Day, but only Representatives may vote after Deadline One.

Deadlines will be measured by the Barrowdowns clock.

Modfire is at the discretion of the mods.

The contents of PMs may not be quoted in-game.

Summarized Rules:

Votes are non-retractable.

All players must be set to Invisible.

You may never vote for yourself. You are not obligated to vote, but your lack of vote should and will be used against you.

In the event of a tie-vote by Representatives, multiple lynches will occur.

Sons of Elrond may only PM at Night.

The orc of unknown allegiance must pick a side on Day Two and will begin receiving information on Night Three.

Dead players may communicate with each other about the game if they so desire, but not with players who are still alive. No crossing planes of existence.

Deadlines occur at X:00 ‘Downs time. Any votes logged at X:01 or later will not be counted.

All PMs to the mods should go to both Nienna and Feanor of the Peredhil.

The Mods reserve the right to modfire.

--

In response to some questions:

The orc of undetermined allegiance has nothing to do with nightkills, so if all three wolves are dead, the game ends even if the OoUA chooses to be on the evil team.

The Representatives MAY split their votes.

--

Players:

Boromir88 - often intoxicated orc-draught merchant
Sallycakes - bar maid of questionable character
Glirdy - The Wandering Bard of Bad Taste and Awful Music
Lottiepop - Orc Child With Unusually Tiny Feet And Bad Balance
Nerwen - proprietor of the Cavern Tavern
Vanilwa
Steve - cave vagrant
Mira
Shasticle - scavenger extraordinaire and provider of edibles
Greenie - sneaky scout who can't sneak
Lommy - cave painter
Rune - The pool orc
Foley - quiet, withdrawn middle-aged fellow
Legate
Kath
Zil
Celuien
Izzy - All Things Livery Proprietor
Nog
The Phantom

satansaloser2005 09-04-2010 06:39 PM

I'm offended. I actually have to SIGN UP for this? I should just automatically be added to your game list. I demand cookies or something.

Oh. Right. Well, I'm signing up anyway, so yeah. Add me to the list? ;)

Glirdan 09-04-2010 09:53 PM

Hmmm...very interesting concept. Sign me up for with a question mark, unless you can give me details on what the DL will look like.

Loslote 09-04-2010 11:18 PM

I am so in, but I second Glirdy's request for DL times. I can probably make almost anything work, though.

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-05-2010 07:20 AM

I'm waiting to post DL for once I can talk to Ni about it and settle on one, but it's almost definitely going to be in the vicinity of 9pm EST (which is what the DL for the last game just was).

Nerwen 09-05-2010 07:34 AM

Hey, Fea, what is it with you and trying to introduce representational government to WW?

Anyway, sign me up. As always.;)

Boromir88 09-05-2010 09:07 AM

Glirdan, wipe that question mark off your....face. You're playing. :p

Fea, are occupations allowed? It's been soo long since I've been able to choose an occupation and I kind of want to be an often intoxicated orc-draught merchant. :D

satansaloser2005 09-05-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 638558)
Fea, are occupations allowed? It's been soo long since I've been able to choose an occupation and I kind of want to be an often intoxicated orc-draught merchant. :D

Oooo! Oooo! Can I be a bar maid of questionable character? :Merisu:

wilwarin538 09-05-2010 11:56 AM

I'm definitely in! I've never played in a game with the Representative thing, so this is exciting for me.

*snuggles the Modesses*

Eönwë 09-05-2010 02:19 PM

I'm so in! If the DL is right, that is (Or maybe even if it's not. Who cares about sleep anyway? :p)

Also, I wonder if I'll end up with another nickname after this game... ;)

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-05-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 638583)
Also, I wonder if I'll end up with another nickname after this game... ;)

Maybe another avatar...

satansaloser2005 09-05-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 638583)
I wonder if I'll end up with another nickname after this game... ;)

You'll always be Steve to me. :Merisu:

Fea, dear, have you asked He-Who-Loves-To-Be-Named if he'll play?

Loslote 09-05-2010 03:54 PM

As for occupation, I call Orc Child With Unusually Tiny Feet And Bad Balance! :p

Glirdan 09-05-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boro
Glirdan, wipe that question mark off your....face. You're playing. :p

Well I guess that settles it :p

And I should manage that kind of DL.

As for occupation....

The Wandering Bard of Bad Taste and Awful Music :p

satansaloser2005 09-05-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glirdan (Post 638594)
The Wandering Bard of Bad Taste and Awful Music :p

My darling Pie, you're supposed to invent a character. ;)

*snuggles you for joining properly*

Shastanis Althreduin 09-05-2010 07:31 PM

I was just attacked on MSN and had to promise to play this game to escape with my life. MY LIIIIIFE.

But you know I wouldn't miss this, Fea darling. Sign me up as a scavenger extraordinaire and provider of edibles (don't ask).

satansaloser2005 09-05-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin (Post 638599)
I was just attacked on MSN and had to promise to play this game to escape with my life. MY LIIIIIFE.

I approve of this so hard.

A Little Green 09-06-2010 08:06 AM

Can't miss this. Sign me up, please. Oh, and can I be a sneaky scout who can't sneak?

Mirandir 09-06-2010 08:35 AM

I enjoy being signed up with a question mark for making a passing comment that there's a legitimate chance I might play. Yes, Fea who is currently a foot away from me on my floor, I'll play. :p

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-06-2010 09:59 AM

I'll play as well.

Folwren 09-06-2010 10:45 AM

Bad, bad, bad. A Fea and Nienna Modded game in the middle of my hardest semester yet? Not fair.

I'll sign up anyway. We get to pick roles even? Sweet. I'll be a quiet, withdrawn middle-aged fellow. Note the Quiet part. I don't know how much I'll be able to post.

-- Foley

Glirdan 09-06-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sally
My darling Pie, you're supposed to invent a character.

Oooooo, touche. But it just seemed soooo perfect that I couldn't pass up an opportunity like this to make fun of singers or just the one hit wonders (coughRICKASTLEYcough)!! :D

Nerwen 09-06-2010 10:21 PM

Boromir88 - often intoxicated orc-draught merchant
Sallycakes - bar maid of questionable character

Well, since you two need a customer and an employer respectively, I'll be the proprietor of the Cavern Tavern.

Thinlómien 09-07-2010 03:46 PM

Since Fea sorta promised me the game won't start until Saturday, you can remove the questionmark. With bad luck, though, I might miss Day1 if you don't kill me for it. ;) (Pun not intented but sort of true. :p)

Anyway, could I be a cave painter? Or perhaps even a tunnel architect? :D

PS. Lovely to be playing ww again! I think I last played in May or even April...

Thinlómien 09-07-2010 03:48 PM

PPS. If you don't kill him for possibly missing Day1 either, Legate would like to sign up too. :)

satansaloser2005 09-07-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 638674)
PPS. If you don't kill him for possibly missing Day1 either, Legate would like to sign up too. :)

Can we kill him for any other reason? :smokin:

Aka welcome back, the both of you. :)

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-07-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 638673)
Since Fea sorta promised me the game won't start until Saturday, you can remove the questionmark.

Basically since I'm looking for a bigger village, I'm keeping signups open through the weekend, and we'll start Monday. Everybody go recruit people.

Inziladun 09-07-2010 07:22 PM

All right, I'm in.

Celuien 09-08-2010 03:59 PM

I'm in.

satansaloser2005 09-08-2010 06:36 PM

We seem to be missing a couple Finns. Hint hint. :Merisu:

I'll see who I can harass into playing. ;)

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-09-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 638749)
We seem to be missing a couple Finns. Hint hint. :Merisu:

That's being worked upon... although, Agan seemed to indicate that she will be busy now. But I will try to convince Nogrod today.

Yay to Fea for keeping the first Day for us!

Aganzir 09-09-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 638749)
We seem to be missing a couple Finns. Hint hint.

My classes started this week (I have a lot of them) and the Helsinki International Film Festival starts next week. While I could probably find the time to play, I'd have much less time to sleep and that's not a very good thing for me. :( So much as I'd love to, I'm not joining unless I suddenly decide to drop like half my classes. I'll be following the game, though, because this looks really promising.

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-09-2010 09:24 AM

You know, my pet, if you have time to read it, you definitely have time to play it.

Isabellkya 09-09-2010 10:44 AM

*signs up*

All Things Livery Proprietor

Shastanis Althreduin 09-09-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabellkya (Post 638781)
*signs up*

All Things Livery Proprietor

My work here is done. :cool:

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-09-2010 12:51 PM

I think I shall be the Mountain pool service technician, more often referred to as "The pool orc"

Folwren 09-09-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil (Post 638779)
You know, my pet, if you have time to read it, you definitely have time to play it.

Not true. Reading and the analyzing the posts again takes far more time than just reading.

(I hope it's not bad policy to argue with a mod even before the game's begun. ;) )

-- Foley

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-09-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folwren (Post 638797)
Not true. Reading and the analyzing the posts again takes far more time than just reading.

(I hope it's not bad policy to argue with a mod even before the game's begun. ;) )

-- Foley

I wonder if you can be the victim of modfire even before the game has begun.

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-09-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne (Post 638798)
I wonder if you can be the victim of modfire even before the game has begun.

Maybe. *shifty eyes*

Nienna 09-09-2010 05:38 PM

Hey sorry I've been an so-far-missing Mod. I'm here now and will be around for most of the time.

Thank you, my darling Fea, for being very on top of this so far. You are, however, not allowed to modfire before the game begins :p