The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   J.R.R. Tolkien; September 2, 1973 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18510)

Hookbill the Goomba 09-02-2013 11:35 AM

J.R.R. Tolkien; September 2, 1973

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the death of Professor Tolkien. We all owe the man so much, even though some of us were not even born yet when he passed.

Remembered always, and loved until the Dagor Dagorath.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-W3Z2AvMgpR...640/GRAVE1.JPG

Aganzir 09-02-2013 11:54 AM

*raises a toast and goes to read appropriate ROTK passages*

Thinlómien 09-02-2013 12:34 PM

*silently toasts with a tea mug at the laptop screen*

Maybe I will continue my twenty-somethingeth Lord of the Rings reread today...

Formendacil 09-02-2013 12:41 PM

"It was, however, long before Eärnil felt himself sufficiently secure to do as he promised. King Araphant continued with dwindling strength to hold off the assaults of Angmar, and Arvedui when he succeeded him did likewise; but at last in the autumn of 1973 messages came to Gondor that Arthedain was in great straits and the Witch-king was preparing a last stroke against it. Then Eärnil sent his son Eärnur north with a fleet, as swiftly as he could, and with as great strength as he could spare. Too late. Before Eärnur reached the havens of Lindon, the Witch-king had conquered Arthedain and Arvedui had perished."
--The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, ii

In looking for something suitably unnumbered tears-esque (now that I think of it, I really should have started there...), I came across this passage. The autumn of 1973 was indeed a fell time.

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-02-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 686309)
Today marks the 40th anniversary of the death of Professor Tolkien. We all owe the man so much, even though some of us were not even born yet when he passed.

Remembered always, and loved until the Dagor Dagorath.

Amen! (Connections with the word "Aman" also intentional.) I would raise a glass of miruvor, I guess I have to do with hot chocolate. But I think that is appropriate; I don't know if the Hobbits knew of hot chocolate, but I am sure they would approve.

Inziladun 09-02-2013 02:11 PM

*raises a cup of tea*

To you, Professor. We'll see you in the West, when the veil "turns all to silver glass, and is rolled back".

Aganzir 09-02-2013 02:16 PM

Those of you who'd care to join us - there's a skype conversation going on at the moment which should lead to a Tolkien reading soonish. There's Kath, Hookbill, Oddwen, Squatter and Formendacil at the moment, and yours truly (scavengerlikeme on skype) obviously.

Bêthberry 09-02-2013 05:49 PM

Hooky, did you photoshop that picture? Or has the family extended the headstones since I was last there? :Merisu:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolkien
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Kitanna 09-02-2013 06:03 PM

This seems like the perfect time to jump into rereading LOTR and The Silmarillion.

*Raises tea cup in a toast*

Galadriel55 09-02-2013 06:47 PM

"But grass came there and grew again upon that hill, alone in all the desert that Morgoth made; and no creature of Morgoth trod thereafter upon the earth beneathwhich the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust." ~Of the Fifth Battle, The Silmarillion

May the mound of the Professor be just as green as the ones of his heroes.

Bêthberry 09-02-2013 08:56 PM

And of green graves . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appendix A
There at least when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.

Pervinca Took 09-03-2013 03:39 PM

Forty winters!

May simbelmyne still bloom in his memory, four hundred years from now.