The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Words!!!!!! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11605)

Assasin 01-25-2005 05:48 PM

Words!!!!!!

Hey dudes, thought I'd start a new thread. Okay, I've got a new game, at least I hope it's new. I'm gonna write something that has to do with LotR, and someone else has to look at the last letter of the word/phrase and write a word that begins with it, you can't reuse any words. Sound fun? I'll do the first one: Gilgilad.

Shelob 01-25-2005 05:53 PM

Sounds like fun...

Gilgalad-->Denethor

Lindolirian 01-25-2005 07:37 PM

Sounds like this thread. But, er... check out the last post. :rolleyes:

The Saucepan Man 01-25-2005 08:27 PM

Well there have been threads like this before and, yes, they have been closed for not being sufficiently challenging.

But I don't see the problem in a little light relief if people want it, so I'll let it pass ...

Edit: I've (re-)closed that old thread. But along the lines of the game that was being played there, it might make this game a bit more interesting of each person was to say a little bit about the character, object, event etc that they name.

Assasin 01-26-2005 01:38 PM

Rohirrim.

The Saucepan Man 01-26-2005 06:05 PM

Perhaps I wasn't typing loudly enough ...

*Ahem!*

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
... it might make this game a bit more interesting of each person was to say a little bit about the character, object, event etc that they name.

Tuor of Gondolin 01-26-2005 06:20 PM

And perhaps the person starting a game could limit it in some way (1st, 2nd, 3rd age; or kelvar, or a particular race, or a location, etc.)?

Assasin 01-27-2005 04:01 PM

Oh, okie dokie. Rohirrim, the army of Rohan. It has to be a race.
Is that what you guys mean? And, S_M, I didn't know what you meant, so, yes you did type loud enough.

Tuor of Gondolin 01-27-2005 07:00 PM

Well, "It has to be a race" for Rohirrim I would take to mean answers
should be one of a group (of more then one) of sentient Middle-earth
races (and not individuals?). If so, then how about:

Men of the Three Houses

as a continuation?

That is:
Rohirrim
Men of the Three Houses

Assasin 01-29-2005 06:08 PM

Silmeril. A stone thing. ;)

The Saucepan Man 01-30-2005 09:46 AM

Imminent deletion warning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assasin
It has to be a race.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assasin
Silmeril. A stone thing.

Hmm, this doesn't seem to working does it?

But let's give the thread one more chance. The next word has to be a race or group of peoples, it has to start with 'L' and a reasonably detailed description (ie one or two sentences rather than one or two words) should be provided.

Any ideas as to when the theme should change? (If this thread ever makes it that far, that is).

Eruanna 01-30-2005 10:59 AM

I'll try this one :)

Laiquendi: Also known as the Green-elves of Ossiriand. Elves of the First Age, originally Nandor they came from the East and, led by Lenwë's son Denethor, they crossed the Misty Mountains. They finally settled between the Blue Mountains and the River Gelion in the Land of The Seven Rivers, also known as Ossiriand.

Shelob 01-30-2005 12:33 PM

I'm not responding because I can think of a race that begins with 'I' but more to respond to The Saucepan Man's question of
Quote:

Any ideas as to when the theme should change? (If this thread ever makes it that far, that is).
you could have it so that once no-one can think of another within the category (so once no-one can think of another race in this case) the theme gets changed. It's only a question of whether the new theme gets named by the last person to get an answer in the last theme or by the person who began the thread originally.

It's just an idea...but it might help to give some structure to this.

The Saucepan Man 01-30-2005 08:20 PM

Good idea Shelob (and welcome to the Downs, by the way :) ).

If no new answer has been given after ... say 5 days ... then the person who gave the last answer can start with a new subject.

I'm suggesting 5 days because it is well within the 10 days after which anyone can start with a new subject.

Let's go with that. :smokin:

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 01-31-2005 06:07 AM

Not quite sure whether it quite qualifies as a race, but...

I'll offer this for the letter "I".

Ithryn Luin - the two Blue Wizards who were lost in the East long before the War of the Ring. Their names were Alatar and Pallando.

I was going to say Istari, but it just lands us back in the same position with "I", so hopefully since there were two Blue Wizards they can be a very small race unto themselves. ;)

I rather like the idea of this thread, if it can get off the ground. It might develop into an interesting little game.

Sophia

Firefoot 01-31-2005 06:10 AM

Naugrim - aka the Dwarves. Translated as "The Stunted People."

ohtatyaro 01-31-2005 06:51 AM

Moriquendi - Elves of the Darkness' or Dark Elves

But since it ends us with I again, (I'm sorry, could not think up anything without I on its end :(), I suggest we can use the ending S of Common Speach translation)

Or, Besides answering, I propose a modification too - if the ending letter is the 'hard one' (say, i or q), let it be allowed to use the last letter of the translation, eh?

:)

The Saucepan Man 01-31-2005 08:28 AM

Although the point of the game (as it has developed) is to try to gain control of the thread by setting a difficult end letter. In other words, the "winner" on any one theme is the person who provides an answer which cannot be followed. On that basis, I suggest that the actual end letter used in the answer given should be the one required to start the next word.

ohtatyaro 01-31-2005 08:39 AM

Does it mean that if in 5 days nobody comes up with I-race, I wil change the theme?

The Saucepan Man 01-31-2005 08:42 AM

Precisely. :cool:

Eruanna 01-31-2005 11:36 AM

How about Isengarders? The name given to Saruman's Uruk-Hai by the other orcs as they quarrelled about what they should do with Merry and Pippin.

piosenniel 01-31-2005 02:01 PM

The Elves sometimes used this term for the race of Men because they suffered from old age and death:

Sickly

ohtatyaro 02-01-2005 12:43 AM

Y

Yrch - the name Lorthlorien elves had for orcs :)

Nilpaurion Felagund 02-01-2005 12:49 AM

H

Halethrim, the last of the Edain to cross the Blue Mountains.

ohtatyaro 02-01-2005 12:57 AM

Men

simply Men :). I mean, it's a race, isn't it? Mor than just men of three houses, but including those :)

piosenniel 02-01-2005 04:29 AM

Nameless Things

Quote:

Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.
--Gandalf; TTT; The White Rider

Eruanna 02-01-2005 12:01 PM

Shepherds of the Trees, known to men as Ents and to the Elves as Onodrim. Ent the earthborn, old as mountains.

piosenniel 02-01-2005 12:30 PM

Stunted People

Elvish name for Dwarves - translation of Naugrim

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 02-01-2005 12:36 PM

Eldar- a group name for all the elves that began the great journey from Cuiviénen.

Is it worth mentioning that each answer shouldn't be used more than once within a theme?

Assasin 02-01-2005 04:24 PM

River Folk.
What Smeagol and Deagol were.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 02-01-2005 08:56 PM

Kelvar one of the two basic types of being created at the beginning of Arda. Kelvar were animals, whereas their counterparts, the Olvar were plants.

ohtatyaro 02-02-2005 12:28 AM

Ring-wraiths. They are not technically the race, but they are not merely men either?

Celebuial 02-02-2005 03:32 AM

Southrons- They joined Sauron's armies in the War of the Ring. (They do not have Mumakil- I got that wrong. Mumakil come from harad. Sorry!)

ohtatyaro 02-02-2005 07:33 AM

retyping from the Sil :)

Sindar the Grey-elves. The name was applied to all the Elves of Telerin origin whom the returning Noldor found in Beleriand, save for the Green-elves of Ossiriand. The Noldor may have devised this name because the first Elves of this origin whom they met with were in the north, under the grey skies and mists about Lake Mithrim; or perhaps because the Grey-elves were not of the Light nor yet of the Dark (Avari), but were Elves of the Twilight

Eruanna 02-02-2005 08:13 AM

Rangers of the North. Aragorn's people, the last remnants of the Dúnedain, those of the faithful who had escaped the drowning of Númenór.

ohtatyaro 02-02-2005 09:17 AM

Men again

We had men already, but I suppose if one can found another name for them, it is OK? I mean, we will run short of words if only one race would be acceptd.

So, it is Hildor 'The Followers', 'The Aftercomers', Elvish name for Men. For pbvious reasons :)

piosenniel 02-02-2005 12:39 PM

Rógin

Rohirric term for the Druedain, the Woses.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 02-02-2005 03:16 PM

Nibin-noeg - the petty-dwarves, the last of whom lived at Bar-en-Nibin-noeg on Amon Rudh.

Eruanna 02-02-2005 03:28 PM

Gwaith-i-Mírdain ~ People of the Jewel-smiths. The name given to the fellowship of craftsmen in Eregion, the greatest of whom was Celebrimbor the maker of the Three Elven Rings.

piosenniel 02-02-2005 06:40 PM

Will Nazgûl work as a self-limited race?