The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do you assign to Orthanc? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13766)

Boromir88 09-18-2008 11:56 AM

Mith, it's a classic. :p

Lindale, it's just one of those shows I can't stop watching, but I can't figure out why it's just so blasted entertaining.

Quote:

I spent like an hour last night talking to my father about Caesar Romero's Joker laugh. =Awesome.~Fea
And Burgess Meredith as the Penguin = priceless.

Lalwendë 09-18-2008 03:14 PM

Listen, 1960s Batman rules.

Without it I'd have lost one of my methods for feeding the baby. Because I sit there with the spoon going "Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner! Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner!" to the Batman theme tune and he opens his mouth to laugh and in goes the spoon. :cool:

Mithalwen 09-19-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 568261)
[B]Lindale, it's just one of those shows I can't stop watching, but I can't figure out why it's just so blasted entertaining.

I would have thought the attractions were obvious... they seemed so from what google revealed.:p

Lal, I remember in School Orchestra the second violin part for some piece was exactly the theme tune ..... of course we couldn' t resist when we rehearsed it as a section.. they couldn't throw us all out:D

Lalwendë 09-20-2008 04:14 AM

Did anyone else used to run round the school playground when they were a kid shouting "Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner! Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner! Batman!", with your anorak hung by the hood from your head, like it was Batman's cape?

A Little Green 09-20-2008 04:25 AM

I assign being so absorbed in writing that it makes you neglect your schoolwork. Writing is lovely, and it's great to have inspiration for once, but I think it deserves to be assigned to Orthanc because nowadays it's pretty much everything I do on my free time (and even on times when I'm supposed to be studying and not writing nonsense)... :rolleyes:

Lindale 09-20-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 568261)
Lindale, it's just one of those shows I can't stop watching, but I can't figure out why it's just so blasted entertaining.

Well, if I try to think as a male, I'd think she is gorgeous and that gorgeousness may make up for the lack of sense. But the very idea still makes me laugh. See, I live in a society where men are still pseudo-conservatives (read: hypocrites :rolleyes:).

Eönwë 09-20-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Little Green (Post 568375)
I assign being so absorbed in writing that it makes you neglect your schoolwork. Writing is lovely, and it's great to have inspiration for once, but I think it deserves to be assigned to Orthanc because nowadays it's pretty much everything I do on my free time (and even on times when I'm supposed to be studying and not writing nonsense)... :rolleyes:

I second that. Except that my inspiration comes randomly and in large quantities.

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-22-2008 11:05 AM

I assign the paper I have to do in my class "Historical Method B" (or maybe it should be tranlsated "History Method B")

It is about the mutiny on HMAV Bounty and it is actually extremely interesting, but also extremely confusing. After reading the log of Captain Bligh, James Morrison and Alexander Smith you don't know what to belive. . . and Edward Christian of course also add to the confusion. So even after having written 11 pages, I still feel like I am missing something.

Lalwendë 09-24-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne (Post 568575)
I assign the paper I have to do in my class "Historical Method B" (or maybe it should be tranlsated "History Method B")

It is about the mutiny on HMAV Bounty and it is actually extremely interesting, but also extremely confusing. After reading the log of Captain Bligh, James Morrison and Alexander Smith you don't know what to belive. . . and Edward Christian of course also add to the confusion. So even after having written 11 pages, I still feel like I am missing something.

What an odd thing to write a paper on! Just avoid watching the Mel Gibson film if you don't want an unbiased account as like everything else with Mel Gibson in it, it's less than the 'truth' :rolleyes: Though the ships are nice.

Groin Redbeard 09-24-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 568764)
What an odd thing to write a paper on! Just avoid watching the Mel Gibson film if you don't want an unbiased account as like everything else with Mel Gibson in it, it's less than the 'truth' :rolleyes: Though the ships are nice.

Unlike many Hollywood producers Mel Gibson has a love for freedom, entertaining movies, and a mind that knows what to believe. Unfortunately, that stuff makes you a criminal in Hollywood. :smokin:

I assign college professors to Orthanc. I have several that I love working with and they are really helpful, but then I have my chemistry professor who is absolutely worse than useless. Last class he gave us the wrong dates for test day, and I would have missed it if I hadn't glanced at my syllabus.

Lindale 09-25-2008 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 568774)
I assign college professors to Orthanc. I have several that I love working with and they are really helpful, but then I have my chemistry professor who is absolutely worse than useless. Last class he gave us the wrong dates for test day, and I would have missed it if I hadn't glanced at my syllabus.

Poor you.

I assign the pre-hell week. Today I had to walk a kilometer and take the non-aircon bus to reach my mother's office to ask for lunch-money plus more to get more of my readings. I didn't realize that my readings and the books I need literally drained my wallet until I was left with only fourteen pesos, and I left my darling credit card at home. Good thing my mom gave me more than enough money today (after some ad-misericordiam). So it's just to Orthanc :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-25-2008 06:33 AM

Having to go to a huge party where I don't know everybody, and where I'll probably still have the lingering end bits of a stubborn cold, and which is outside and will probably be somewhat chilly.

Only to Orthanc, not to Mordor?

As one of the hosts, if anybody irritates me I can send them packing. :cool:

Boromir88 09-25-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

I would have thought the attractions were obvious... they seemed so from what google revealed.~Mith
But, it's a bad trade off, and like anything that can be debilitating to your health you have to wonder is the reward worth the risk? The world likes balance, take chemistry, a balanced equation = good, and as Lindale says I don't think Tila Tequila balances.

Alright, so she's good eye candy, but is it worth her obvious lack of sense, and my loss of brain cells by watching her? And I have to ask myself do I really need to turn on the tube and lose intelligence if I want to see an attractive woman? The answer is no, but I still do anyway.

Also, I've been thinking any kind of rip-off belongs in Orthanc. Saruman after all did try to mimic Sauron, but we all knew he wasn't the real deal. Anything that tries to mimic the real deal (Mordor), but in truth is just a fake rip-off, I assign to Orthanc. So, yes I would assign ambulance chasers and chiropractors to Orthanc.

Aganzir 09-25-2008 09:24 AM

Bookstore sales.

Diane C 09-25-2008 10:09 AM

Cream cakes & chocolate - not so much a hate thing but a very naughty couple of things that I find very hard to resist because inwardly I love them so much, but morally I should really hate!

Lindale 09-26-2008 09:13 AM

that our college has almost no straight guys, and if there are, they're either ugly or taken.

Thinlómien 09-26-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindale (Post 568921)
that our college has almost no straight guys, and if there are, they're either ugly or taken.

Sorry that I'm laughing at your problem, Lin, but that sounds exactly like our school :D, (except that we don't actually have that much any kind of guys at all because we are a school into which mostly come people who are interested in arts and good at school...) Not that it's too bad anyway - my experiences and the stories I've heard suggest that fewer boys = quieter and more motivated classes... and also, it seems that in general gay guys are less noisy and disturb lessons less, so maybe you should be happy with your situation? ;)

Lindale 09-26-2008 09:37 AM

Oh I forgot. Don't let Nilp read that... he comes from my college too, although I think he's neither and, he's older and he belongs to the Department of European Languages, whereas I come from the Department of Comparative Lit. I don't know about the DEL, but in DECL and the Institute of Creative Writing I know only two straight men. Both... pangit. Most of my crushes in school are attractive-by-default. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-26-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 568925)
(except that we don't actually have that much any kind of guys at all because we are a school into which mostly come people who are interested in arts and good at school...)

Now now now. If this wasn't quite nassty chauvinism.

Thinlómien 09-26-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 568928)
Now now now. If this wasn't quite nassty chauvinism.

Aiaiai, I swear you're watching me extra closely when it comes to gender stereotypes. :D But, anyway, it's a pure fact that girls do generally better in school (at least in this country) and most of the people who have drama, dance or writing as a hobby are girls, so it's really no wonder. And also, I guess many boys don't apply to our school because they think it's such a "girly" school full of girls... (or then some of the guys apply just because of that... ;):p)

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-26-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 568934)
Aiaiai, I swear you're watching me extra closely when it comes to gender stereotypes. :D But, anyway, it's a pure fact that girls do generally better in school (at least in this country) and most of the people who have drama, dance or writing as a hobby are girls, so it's really no wonder. And also, I guess many boys don't apply to our school because they think it's such a "girly" school full of girls... (or then some of the guys apply just because of that...)

:D
Okay, okay, well... but the way you formulated it before was quite bad.

But let's leave this and let the thread get back to its topic :)

Thinlómien 09-26-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 568939)
But let's leave this and let the thread get back to its topic

Hey, it was you who got side-tracked in the first place... :p

Ahem, anyway, since we're speaking of it, I would assign getting side-tracked. :D Mostly it's just fun and often even more interesting than the original topic, but some people (mostly teachers) are horribly bad at it and if the subject they're supposed to be talking about is more interesting than the one they start rambling about, it can be rather frustrating... (I assure you I find the history of ancient Egypt far more interesting than the German translations of the guides in my history teacher's Egypt-trip sometime back in the 80s, for example... :rolleyes: )

Lindale 09-27-2008 04:14 PM

I assign the Epica Road to Paradiso photo sound book thing my dad got me as his pasalubong from the Netherlands. While I consider myself a very happy symphonic metal girl, all the text in the book are Dutch, and unfortunately I can't read it. :( Oh well, at least the album is in English! Yay!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-27-2008 11:19 PM

I assign beans. They taste SO GOOD, but feel so bad.

As lal's signature once said "Beans, beans, the musical fruit."

Lindale 10-06-2008 11:14 AM

I assign Yoshinoya. Very delicious beef gyudon! And at an affordable price, too--even cheaper than McDonalds, the amount of rice they serve! Only I have to ride a bus and two jeepneys to reach it from school or home. And I keep getting irritated by the fact that I can't figure out how to cook it, because I think some of the ingredients are things I can't find in my country.

Thinlómien 10-07-2008 02:31 AM

The fact that about 90% of the people in our school can't use a printer.

It's rather annoying that about everytime you try to print something, the printer says there's no paper and when you add it, there comes dozens of pages of stuff other people have tried to print (but onbviously haven't been able to put paper in, or worse, even figured out that the printer needs more paper :rolleyes: ) before you get what you want, and mostly the people have printed the same stuff several times when they haven't got it. (What a waste of paper.) On the other hand, this "technical disability" really amuses me :D and never before has such a basic thing as using a printer made me feel incredibly smart. ;)

Volo 10-08-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 569540)
The fact that about 90% of the people in our school can't use a printer.

Hehehee... :$

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-08-2008 03:02 PM

The fact that I finally have a writing teacher who doesn't automatically tell me I'm awesome. She's just like "Yeah, you screwed this up. Again. Seriously, Laura, just admit that you suck, will you? Just admit it and move on..."

Sigh.

I like being challenged, but I also like being lavished with praise. Is it too much to ask that she lavish me with praise while challenging me?

Rune Son of Bjarne 10-08-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil (Post 569706)
I like being challenged, but I also like being lavished with praise. Is it too much to ask that she lavish me with praise while challenging me?

No of course not, it sounds quite reasonable to be honest, but it is seldom that teachers posses the ability to do so.

Lindale 10-08-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil (Post 569706)

They don't do that at school, but maybe at home or in an amorous thing. The family does that all the time on my cooking. Specially if I forgot to add salt: "Consuelo wth is this? Beef stew without salt, are we that poor now?!" If I remember all ingredients properly I make the best Filipino beef stew ever, but if I forget it's my head on the guillotine, it's like they never want me in the kitchen again. But in that case, who would cook for them? :D

Also the fact that I am a closet romantic. I keep all my Nicholas Sparks under my bed, so my dad won't see and mock me for the rest of m y life.

Lalwendë 10-12-2008 06:02 AM

I assign Rorschach. He should not be so cool. He is an absolutist, an extremist, right wing and incredibly violent. But all the same, he is probably one of the coolest characters ever to grace a comic book.

He's definitely not for The Shire though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 568774)
Unlike many Hollywood producers Mel Gibson has a love for freedom, entertaining movies, and a mind that knows what to believe. Unfortunately, that stuff makes you a criminal in Hollywood. :smokin:

It does to me when you try and make William Wallace look like a saint :eek:

Lindale 10-12-2008 09:02 AM

I assign my parents.

Here's an interesting pun: In Filipino, we call them magulang, parents regardless of gender. But gulang alone is a noun,which means cheating when it comes to money. And the prefix ma- indicates that the word is an adjective, sorta when you add -eous to courage, courageous. So magulang, intoned as /MA-gulang/ cheaters when it comes to money and such, and magulang /ma-GULANG/, parents.

Rune Son of Bjarne 10-12-2008 05:41 PM

Werewolf

I have been so exited (and nervous) all day, only for it to end in a total anticlimax (the day that is).

skip spence 10-18-2008 01:31 PM

Running.

People who are into it often say it becomes like a drug after a while. Frankly, those people never did any good drugs. Running is pretty much the opposite of drugs actually, at first horrible, then it only gets worse, then a little better, and usually it has a beneficiary long term effect on your physical and mental health which is little comfort however while you're in the middle of it.

Lindale 10-19-2008 11:34 AM

Anime Sanjushi. Am I annoyed at its twisted adaptation of the d'Artagnan romances or am I amused?

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-23-2008 10:36 AM

Carving rocks. It gives you a whole new appreciation for Dwarves, let me tell you.

Rune Son of Bjarne 10-24-2008 11:52 AM

Fea, Boro, Eomer and others. . .

I don't know if this is acually something that needs to be assigned anywhere, but since I did not know where to write it. . . .

I seem to be repping to little and not spreading it around enough.
For the last months when I have tried to rep people I am told to spread my reputation around (exept for a few times) and sometimes this comes as a suprise as I cannot remember repping that person.

I wish I could give you guys the rep you deserv, but first I will have to broaden my repping selection.

Rikae 11-01-2008 01:28 PM

Being one rep away from a second green square.

Gwathagor 11-01-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 570070)

It does to me when you try and make William Wallace look like a saint :eek:

To be fair, the screenplay was written not by Mel Gibson, but by one of Wallace's own descendants, Randall Wallace.

Bêthberry 11-02-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man (Post 512950)
We have Mordor, where we may assign the things we hate. We have the Shire, a veritable repository of the things we love.

But what about the things that we hate to love? Or, more accurately, the things that we know we should hate, but which we secretly (or not so secretly) love?

Should they not be assigned to Orthanc? OK, I was inspired by the "rooting for the bad guys" thread. We know we should disapprove of Saruman. And yet it surely cannot be denied that he is a facinating character. Perhaps the most interesting "baddie" that Tolkien presents us with. Apart from Gollum, perhaps, but the "below Goblintown, the Misty Mountains" is rather too unspecific as a location.

And Saruman had his gulity pleasures too. The Halfling weed, for example.

So, I'll kick us off.

- Cigarettes (obviously)
- Big Brother (the reality show, not the Orwellian creation)
- Reality TV shows in general ... :rolleyes:
- George W Bush (I know I should disapprove of him, but I can't help finding something endearing about him :D )
- Intolerance towards shtoopid people
- Intolerance towards people who dawdle (eg, the "zombie shuffle" in tube stations at rush hour)
- Checking the Barrow-Downs at work
- Playing Werewolf (and making lists pertaining thereto) at work.

OK, that's enough from me for now.

Let's hear those confessions ... ;)

Prank phone calls, especially those to politicians of foreign countries. (See here for reference: The Canadian Masked Avengers strike again.

Leftover Hallowe'en candies, especially those little chocolate bars and tiny bags of potato chips. (no reference needed)

Gotcha jokes which politicians have taken out of context. (too many references available)

Britney Spears' life problems.