The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Super Middle-Earth Melee... (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11780)

Gurthang 03-19-2005 11:48 AM

Super Middle-Earth Melee...

For starters, this is not really my idea, well sort,...er...?! OK, I saw Kitanna's sig, and it said something about Yoda vs. Gandalf. It struck me as such a brilliant concept that I just had to start a thread.

If I had to bet on a fight between Yoda and Gandalf, I'd actually pick Yoda. :eek: Sure, everybody loves Gandalf; he's our favorite wizard with a staff and lots of cool powers, and that neat Ring of Fire. But Yoda has the Force! Even forgetting the lightsaber, I think the Force tips the balance a lot. Gandalf would be overwhelmed.

And just so this isn't a completely dead post, this can be between any two characters, just one from ME. Basically, how do you think Middle Earth characters would do against beings from other fantasy works? What fight would you like to see? (must be: JRRT person vs. non-JRRT person)

Anguirel 03-19-2005 12:00 PM

Sorcerous slapping

Galadriel, Lady of Lothlorien, last of the House of Finarfin

against

Jadis, Queen of Charn and Narnia, and Empress of the Lone Islands, aka the White Witch

I don't think Jadis would stand a chance against Galadriel's enchantments, but being part Giant would resort to brute force...

Nimrodel_9 03-19-2005 03:29 PM

Gandalf (white or grey) against Rand al' Thor (the Dragon Reborn) in the Wheel of Time.
I'm sad to say that I believe Rand would win. :( ;)

dancing spawn of ungoliant 03-20-2005 09:57 AM

This thread sounds very similar to this already existing one: Umltimate Matchup. 4 Men Enter, ! Man Exit.
You might want to check that out.

AbercrombieOfRohan 03-20-2005 08:09 PM

My friends and I did something similiar for the NCAA basketball tournament. Now normally I'm not big into basketball, but my friends were so into it, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to poke fun at them. The project was each person had to guess which teams would win and move on in the tournament, essentially guess all the brackets. So me, being the Arda-freak that I am turned it into an all out Lord of the Rings Ultimate showdown.

Here is an example of how I bet (one Snickers bar):

So say it was Utah v. Kentucky. I would take the first letter of each team's name and find a LotR character beginning with the same letter.
Utah= Ungoliant
Kentucky= Kili

And if Kili and Ungoliant were to get in a scrap, who would win? I would choose Ungoliant, therefore she would advance. The championship came down to Ulmo (UW-Milwaukee) v. Varda (Villanova) and I said that Varda (Villanova) would win.

Gurthang 03-20-2005 08:40 PM

That's pretty cool. :cool: I've never thought to mix basketball and LotR. How's your parody-bracket working out so far, Abercrombie?

BTW, Nimrodel, in the al'Thor vs. Gandalf matchup, I'd pick the other way. Rand has the One Power, which is handy, but if Gandalf got a shot of bright light into his opponets eyes... :D No see, no channel; and Rand would be toast!

It would also be interesting to see Rand cross blades with Aragorn; no One Power, of course... :rolleyes: That would be some high quality swordplay.

AbercrombieOfRohan 03-20-2005 08:50 PM

Well, Varda (Villanova) and Ulmo (UW-Milwaukee) have advanced, so I'd say it's going pretty good. I might even win that candy bar!

To all who were wondering, this post is definitely not chatting...

Beanamir of Gondor 03-23-2005 12:30 PM

I've matched up Simkin (magic personified) against Sauron. Could you hear the stichomythia?
Simkin: Take that, you lout! [turns into a pair of tongs and jabs into the Eye]
Sauron: AHH! Cursed Mordor-rat!
Simkin: Egad! I'm insulted! [changes back, sits down on Orodruin, and pouts]
Sauron: Come back here, ya jester, bring it on!
Simkin: You brute, don't provoke me! [turns into the Ring] Look, I'm going to jump into Mount Doom!
Sauron: Wait, no!!
...et cetera...

Nimrodel_9 03-23-2005 03:47 PM

Quote:

BTW, Nimrodel, in the al'Thor vs. Gandalf matchup, I'd pick the other way. Rand has the One Power, which is handy, but if Gandalf got a shot of bright light into his opponets eyes... :D No see, no channel; and Rand would be toast!
Good point. Yay for Gandy!

How about Lan and Aragorn? Warders and Rangers are much the same. I'll say Arry would win. Me likes him the most.:D

Mithalwen 03-24-2005 01:57 PM

Gandalf would whip Dumbledore....

Nimrodel_9 03-24-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Gandalf would whip Dumbledore....
And Saruman would whip Voldemort! :D

Hookbill the Goomba 03-27-2005 03:30 PM

I don't think Gandalf has much chance of losing many battles. Being an Ainur and all. But his only downfall will be his pacifist ness. But all the same...

Gandalf the grey Vs The entire cast of Harry Potter

The out come?

Gandalf wins in 3.5 seconds. :p

OR

Sauron Vs That bad guy from Harry Potter

The out come?

Sauron did not even realise there was a battle going on and 'that bad guy from Harry potter' bursts into flames at the mere presence of Sauron's evil.

No offence to any Harry Potter fans.

Now, whom could Melkor fight?

AbercrombieOfRohan 03-27-2005 04:43 PM

Melkor vs. Hello Kitty...

Lathriel 03-27-2005 05:23 PM

Alanna (Lioness Rampant) v.s Eowyn.

Sadly Alanna (from the lioness quartet)would win because of her official training in becoming a knight.
Sorry Eowyn.

Kitanna 03-27-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathriel

Sadly Alanna (from the lioness quartet)would win because of her official training in becoming a knight.
Sorry Eowyn.

That would be a pretty close fight.

Gollum vs. that weird thing from Harry Potter. Dobby...or something like that. I think Gollum has him beat. And that house elf thing bugs me anyway.

Someone mentioned Gandalf vs. everyone in Harry Potter and that Gandalf would win in 3.5 seconds. I think it's more like 2 seconds flat.

Morsul the Dark 03-28-2005 12:13 PM

how about....link(zelda) vs legalos? both elves great archers and swordsmen link however has bombs and magic :mad: + :D =evil smile

Kitanna 03-28-2005 04:54 PM

Link vs. Legolas? What about Zelda vs. Arwen? Or Ganon vs. Saruman?

Ainaserkewen 03-29-2005 05:46 PM

I'm thinking along the lines of Frodo vs. Napoleon Dynamite in a mud wrestling match. I hope that the latter would win just to hear that infamous "YESsssss"

Morsul the Dark 05-11-2005 09:00 AM

how about this one...an interesting thought... (book) gandalf Vs. (new line)Gandalf Vs. (BBC Radio) Gandalf Vs. Bashki Gandalf?? mind boggling

Or Treebeard Vs. the hulk....

Batman Vs aragorn

not to be overly religous but Moses Vs. Gandalf(please don't take this as antireligious just the thought of some guy summoning plagues is awesome)

Tinuviel of Denton 05-11-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathriel

Sorry Eowyn.

But Eowyn was a shieldmaiden of Rohan and was certainly capable of fighting well. She survived the battle of the Pelennor Fields, after all--I'm sure she didn't only fight the WK, after all.

Oh, and speaking of the Wikkie...

How about Witch King vs. one of the Forsaken, from Wheel of Time? I can't remember any of the guys' names, though.

And what about Turin vs. Rand?

mormegil 05-11-2005 09:29 AM

Malfoy vs Gollum

I would love to see Malfoy get trashed by Gollum

Kitanna 05-11-2005 07:11 PM

About Aragorn vs. Batman...does Batman have time to prepare for this fight, because if he does then Batman will win because given ten minutes to prepare Batman will win any fight. But if Aragorn surprises him Batman will lose.

Gil-Galad 06-30-2005 01:15 PM

There was this thing on Wizards, an ultimate showdown of characters, ranging from sci-fi to comic books, it was very interesting, basically people voted...Gandalf made the top four but was beatened by Galacatus, and the final match up was.....i think Galactus Vs. Darth Vader...

Meneltarmacil 06-30-2005 02:00 PM

How about Gandalf vs. Neo?

Personally, despite Gandalf's powers, I really think Neo has him outmatched, given what he did to Smith, etc.

Larien Telemnar 06-30-2005 03:57 PM

I would say:

Gollum against Jar-Jar Binks. It's a toss up. ;)

Meneltarmacil 06-30-2005 04:12 PM

As far as Gollum vs. Jar Jar goes, I'd say Gollum would most likely win, as Jar Jar is probably just as likely to accidentally chop his own head off as he is to hit Gollum.

Gil-Galad 06-30-2005 07:56 PM

oooh a dance contest!

Larien Telemnar 06-30-2005 08:08 PM

Weel if we're talking dance contest, I'd say Rosie Cotton and Sebulba (From Star Wars). Rosie, hands down!

Ha! I can see it now!

Jar-Jar: Ima gonna knock yousa head off! WHOA! *SPLAT!*

Gollum: STUPID creature! Can't even hit someone proper! HA!

Gil-Galad 06-30-2005 08:11 PM

Legolas Elvish pop dancing versus Gollum's hit "The Precious"

Meneltarmacil 06-30-2005 09:02 PM

As far as dance contests go, Boromir could probably beat just about anybody there.

DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING!!!

Gil-Galad 06-30-2005 09:11 PM

i got bored...

The Middle-Earth Dance-Off competition was intense. Pippin and his all-Hobbit dance squad had their feet flying in a breakdancing medley, and Gandalf looked particularly spry performing a Wizard Jig while Bilbo played the hurdy-gurdy. Tension mounted a few rounds later, as Saruman upped the ante with a riveting interpretive dance on Orc raising. The crowd was sure he snatched the championship, and the bookies were flooded with creatures clamoring to place new bets. Even Legolas' take on Elvish "pop" dancing couldn't shift the mood - the judges remained set. It was only later in the evening that the tide finally turned: the crowd roared as Gollum entered, breaking into a breathtaking routine to his hit single, "Precious." Even the Orc judges couldn't deny his prowess, and the cup was finally taken.

Gurthang 07-01-2005 04:07 PM

.... But just before the presentation of the trophy, two more challengers stepped up. Arwen was immediately disqualified because of her scandalous dress, and some rumors of trying to seduce the judges. The second dancer was none other than the Barrow-Wight himself! To thunderous applause he began his rendition of Napolean Dynamite's popular dance. The crowd was stunned. Never before had they seen its like, nor had they heard such a powerful tune. The judges themselves quailed at the sheer power the Wight's moves. After what seemed an Age, the contestant went back to his seat. It was minutes before anyone said a word. The judges began arguing back and forth, and finally a decision was made...

Gollum still rules the dancefloor!