The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Heads up, Minas Tirith (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9740)

Meela 04-21-2003 10:35 AM

Heads up, Minas Tirith

I was just thinking about Rotk and I suddenly remembered that in the book the enemy catapulted the heads of the dead back into the city. It was one of my favourite moments and I was wondering if it was to be a bonus of the third movie.<BR>Do you think the movie caters for a far too young audience for this sort of viewing? I would have said yes, but I think it would have been a lovely touch. I have not heard if it is in the movie or not.

Airehiriel 04-21-2003 11:51 AM

Meela, I think only you would love the scene with the heads flying into the city! HAHAHA!! It would be a very interesting thing to see if they put it in though.<P>I hadn't thought about them catering to the younger viewers. My mother won't let my 2 youngest siblings watch it. She thinks the Orcs and Nazgul would give them nightmares, and she's probably right, considering those two!

Frodo Brandybuck 04-21-2003 01:17 PM

That would be great! I don't think Meela would be the only one enjoying that! I kinda wish PJ would have stuck closer to the books for TTT! I hate to think what might be in ROTK!

Peri 04-21-2003 02:17 PM

That does sound interesting. Though if I would have seen it in the movie (and I having forgotten that this had even happened in the book) I probably would have thought that it was just one of PJ's lame attempts to make the scene more interesting to younger viewers. Knowing now that it is in the books, I'd have to say that I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Elrond Jr 04-21-2003 10:14 PM

Wow, I never read that part! That would be so cool! But I can say almost as a fact that PJ wont put it in. Just think about it, he has to worry about ratings. And secondly he didnt even put Glorfindel in the movie. Those kind of details arent that impronant in lotr.

Beruthiel 04-21-2003 10:30 PM

Those details aren't that important until rabid Barrowdowners run wild and demand to see heads being chucked into Minas Tirith...<BR>Just kidding <P>I liked that bit as well actually, it seemed to sad and yet gruesome and cruel at the same time. They might put it in, I mean there was an orc head on a spear in TTT which was pretty gross. How bad could a few more be? Plus its probably going to be PG13 anyway.

davem 04-22-2003 02:04 AM

The closer the movie is to the books, the better I'll like it. Just an aside - Jane Chance in her book on LotR reckons that what Tolkien is doing in that episode is emphasising Denethor 'losing his head' by having heads hurled into the city! (of course, she does have some odd notions).

Manwe Sulimo 04-22-2003 08:25 AM

Perhaps, just as he is adding in more gore in the extended <I>TTT</I>, the extended <I>RotK</I> will have little bits like that. Although I don't see why we can't assume that the rocks flung by catapults will be heads....it's all about imagination.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 04-22-2003 04:11 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Meela, I think only you would love the scene with the heads flying into the city!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*pouts* But... but... I love the heads flying into the city too! I'm also a very big "gore whore". <P>I think it'd be wonderful if they added the heads bit, but it's highly doubtful, as has been mentioned. Maybe the extended version, but I doubt that as well.

Meela 04-22-2003 04:12 PM

HA! I'm a gore whore... I love that!