The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sir Christopher Lee dies at 93 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18901)

Aganzir 06-11-2015 05:52 AM

Sir Christopher Lee dies at 93

Quote:

Sir Christopher Lee, the screen legend whose career took him from Hammer horror to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and a role as one of the great Bond villains, has died. He was 93.
The veteran actor died at 8.30am on Sunday at London’s Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, sources close to his family said.
He had been treated there for respiratory problems and heart failure over the preceding three weeks and turned 93 in hospital.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...dies-live.html

*raises a glass*

:(

Mithalwen 06-11-2015 06:08 AM

May his spirit, unlike Sarunan's be accepted into the West.

A truly remarkable man. His Saruman was not as Tolkien wrote him (in the way that Peter Howell's was) but his was nevertheless a commanding performance in a "simplified for film" version of the character. Sad news even after a very long and full life.

Lotrelf 06-11-2015 06:31 AM

May his soul rest in peace. It's saddening to read this as if I thought he could live forever. He was the only one from the movies who had met Tolkien (if I'm not getting it wrong) and today it seems that "link" that connected past to the present is broken. :( He'll live forever in our memories through his performances.

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-11-2015 02:19 PM

He was a great persona, to be sure. Charismatic, full of experience, and - I can't think now of anyone else at this moment I could say this about - a true gentleman, too, one of those with whom the title "sir" did not seem like an empty honorific title. I'd only wish he'd had the chance to play the "full" Saruman, as it seems it was something he had wanted to do very much. But he certainly left his mark even so.

*bows respectfully to the memory of him*

Child of the 7th Age 06-11-2015 11:24 PM

So sorry to hear this. I particularly enjoyed his role in Jinnah.

Aiwendil 06-12-2015 11:23 PM

This is indeed very sad news. Lee was one of my favourite things about the Lord of the Rings films. And though I didn't care for Jackson's The Hobbit films (and I don't think Saruman should have been in them at all), I am glad that Lee lived long enough to appear in them.

On a pleasanter note, it's nice to see you around, Child!

Andsigil 06-13-2015 04:11 AM

An actor who was a war hero, loved his country, and stayed married to the same woman for 54 years. Imagine that.

And, so, with his passing, the light of Aman dims even more in this world.

Pitchwife 06-13-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotrelf (Post 699399)
It's saddening to read this as if I thought he could live forever.

This. He seemed to defy time, death and old age to a degree reminiscent of a certain Transsylvanian count's strange ways of always coming back for another movie. I can't remember a time when he wasn't around, and it's hard to imagine the future without him. He was his own monument, but a remarkably lively and mobile one - I don't think anybody watching his performance as Count Dooku in Star Wars would have given him eighty years if they hadn't been told. And he was one of us, a dedicated fan and habitual re-reader of Tolkien's work. Farewell!

Mithalwen 06-13-2015 03:11 PM

Some may not know, since her career has been more in the theatre, is that his niece is the great Shakespearean actor Dame Harriet Walter. Although she is of a much less imposing stature she has a great presence and certain resemblance, particularly the eyes.

Lalaith 06-14-2015 04:04 PM

Harriet Walter is his niece!? Well I never.
An amazing Duchess of Malfi. And of course, the definitive Harriet Vane. You're so right about the eyes, Mith.

Mithalwen 06-14-2015 04:29 PM

Yes, one of those odd snippets of information that stick in my brain, and I have been a huge fan since seeing the Wimsey adaptations when very young. I think the likeness is stronger now she is older. The eyes are remarkable, no doubt a legacy of their Italian mother/grandmother. I seem to recall, Sayers had Wimsey say something on the lines of all the best English people weren't entirely English....

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-19-2015 03:05 PM

I was deeply saddened when I heard the news about Christopher Lee's death. I, too, thought he would live forever. As it is, I am glad that we walked the earth for a time together.