The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Interesting map of ME (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2781)

Meneltarmacil 07-13-2003 09:49 PM

Interesting map of ME

I found this map and thought you might like it. When Hobbiton is placed at Oxford, England (where Tolkien thought it should be) this is how the whole map lines up.
http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~...n/M-e_Euro.jpg

PS Any Downers from Europe can now say where they REALLY live in ME!

Maylin 07-13-2003 11:02 PM

ok, its offical, i am moving to Europe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Meneltarmacil 07-14-2003 08:18 AM

Hey it's not that bad. Taking it one step further, if you live in America, you would live in Valinor!

Sapphire_Flame 07-14-2003 09:10 PM

Quote:

...if you live in America, you would live in Valinor!
Right on! I live in the Undying Lands!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Go me!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

Neferchoirwen 07-14-2003 09:21 PM

This was posted before, but I don't remember where...though I don't remember if it was the same map...

If America is Valinor, and I sort of "migrated" from there...I'm an exiled elf!

I've a question though: Where would Asia be?

Meneltarmacil 07-14-2003 09:40 PM

Asia would probably be east of Rhun, possibly Cuivienen or near the Orocarni, (mts. of the East.) Say hi to Alatar and Pallando if you see them! Oh, and the Avari!

Meneltarmacil 07-14-2003 11:01 PM

Actually, I just did a search... and that same map IS posted here. Oh well...you can still discuss it on this thread, I guess.

Unless, of course, The Barrow Wight has any objections...

Neferchoirwen 07-15-2003 12:41 AM

Thanks for the info, Meneltarmacil.

Will send your greetings!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The_Hand 07-16-2003 03:10 AM

Hey this isn't fun! if I lived in ME then I would be in the Northern Waste! That's it! I'm moving to.... where would Mordor be in Europe??

Mariska Greenleaf 07-16-2003 03:20 AM

quote:

where would Mordor be in Europe??

Mordor would be in Greece!

Me, I would live close to Rivendell, cool!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Noxomanus 07-16-2003 04:09 AM

I think I'd live close to Weathertop,or at least somewhere between Bree and the Fords of Bruinen.

Niluial 07-16-2003 05:34 AM

Aww… [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] no Australia…

Brinniel 07-16-2003 09:54 AM

Quote:

Mordor would be in Greece!
Actually, I think Mordor would be in Hungary, Austria, and Romania, though I cannot say for certain since I'm looking at a twenty-two year old atlas. Greece would be in Near Harad, though.

The_Hand 07-16-2003 10:27 AM

I think that if Oxford is Hobbiton then Mordor would be in Romania or perhaps in Bulgaria?? Not as far south as Greece though.... I could of course be wrong. I'm still moving out of The Norther Waste as quickly as possible [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It's soooooo boring up here... and believe it or not it's very very very hot... all the time. I think I'd much rather live closer to the Misty Mountains. Like Rivendell or Orthanc.

The Saucepan Man 07-16-2003 10:37 AM

Quote:

Actually, I think Mordor would be in Hungary, Austria, and Romania, though I cannot say for
Well, the very southern reaches of Austria, Hungary and Romania, but mainly former Yugoslavia (Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia) plus parts of Albania and Macedonia.

Meneltarmacil 07-16-2003 11:57 AM

Quote:

mainly former Yugoslavia (Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia) plus parts of Albania and Macedonia.
No wonder there's been so much fighting there in the last decade. They're orcs! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Rumil 07-16-2003 06:05 PM

Looks like I'm living in the North-Farthing, I'd prefer to be back at my home town, just outside the Grey Havens in Lindon.

Aredhel Ar Feiniel 07-16-2003 07:13 PM

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...if you live in America, you would live in Valinor!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right on! I live in the Undying Lands!!! Go me!
Me too! Yeehaw!...randomness har har har. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Silmiel of Imladris 07-16-2003 07:46 PM

The problems of the world seem so much more simple when one looks at it from a Middle-Earth point of view. I love it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Tarien Ithil 07-17-2003 07:51 AM

Quote:

if you live in America, you would live in Valinor!

*sniffles*

And where might Australia be? It would probably be the great and vast....OCEAN!
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] *bursts into tears*

Mariska Greenleaf 07-17-2003 08:06 AM

quote:

Actually, I think Mordor would be in Hungary, Austria, and Romania, though I cannot say for certain since I'm looking at a twenty-two year old atlas. Greece would be in Near Harad, though.

I'm terribly sorry, indeed, Mordor wouldn't be in Greece... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I must have been real tired... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Meneltarmacil 07-17-2003 08:19 AM

Quote:

And where might Australia be? It would probably be the great and vast....OCEAN!
Awwww, don't cry. If you read the Atlas of Middle Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad, you'll discover that there is another continent called the "Dark Land" or "South Land" where Australia would probably be. So you are still on dry land. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, I haven't heard anything about what the Dark Land in ME is like... might enjoy hearing your tales.

Menelhachwen 07-17-2003 09:19 AM

[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Let me see... south east coast of Spain... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I'll be living in the deep ocean... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]...Wait! Maybe that means that I'm a siren!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Daisy Brambleburr 07-19-2003 08:44 AM

For some reason I can't actually read the text on the map. Is there anywhere I can go to look at it where it is more legible?

Meneltarmacil 08-20-2003 08:46 PM

Since you all were enjoying this thread so much, I just thought I'd "resurrect" it for you.

I live in America, so I'd be living somewhere in Valinor, although I'm not sure where.

Arwen Eruantale 08-21-2003 02:54 PM

Quote:

The problems of the world seem so much more simple when one looks at it from a Middle-Earth point of view. I love it!
Yeah...

Cool! I live in Valinor! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Frodo Lives! Revive the slogan!