The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How did you end up here? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2889)

Helkahothion 12-19-2002 10:50 AM

How did you end up here?

Hi was reading a tread that was thanking B-W for his services and I began to wander How I stranded on this Island of pure wonder. It's a funny story really.

I was searching pic's of Legolas on Google.com(I know not very manly but he rulez)when I stumbled onto this drawing of him. Google users may know that the site where the pic comes from is stated underneeth the pic so I wandered what it was. I looked at several drawings when I realized there was more than just drawings. (for the not so smart people that site with pic's was the Barrow-Downs)

So now that is out of My bucket, wat's your story?

How did you end up here?
________
CHRYSLER PT CRUISER

Sleeping Beauty 12-19-2002 12:01 PM

About the same way you did. My roommate and I were looking up those Foxtrot cartoons that came out at the time of the Fellowship and I came across the Barrow-Downs in my search. I wandered about for a bit and found a site I fell totally head over hills for. I had never done a search for Tolkien online and didn't know I could find such good things and good people as well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]

mordor136 12-19-2002 12:20 PM

For me it was pure luck and I happened to make a mistake in a search (I cant remember what for) and I wound up here in heaven

DarkRose 12-19-2002 12:31 PM

I believe I was searching the internet for LOTR name generators, and I ended up at the Barrow Downs website. After playing around on the generators, I stumbled across the forums, and..here I am. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Meela 12-19-2002 01:42 PM

I did a search for Lord of the Rings sites. Well, you know what these things can turn out like. If you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. A place called the Barrowdowns, by the looks of things.

Helkahothion 12-19-2002 01:48 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha I like your sig. Meela, but what Isildur do you mean? A Barrow Downer or the real Isildur? Or is it not a quote?
________
Ford Taunus Specifications

Manwe Sulimo 12-19-2002 02:50 PM

I got here by looking for it. I was considering joining a LotR forum for a while...this just was the one that popped out at me.

arelendil 12-19-2002 02:50 PM

I got hit over the head several times by a fellow BD until I tried the site! When I first heard of it the name put me off, I mean barrow-downs are evil places. And having just read that bit, which really scared me(don't ever read that chapter in the middle of a field at 2 in the morning) I wasn't keen to join but as soon as I looked around I had to! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's sooooo nice to have people understand you!!!

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]

Eruwen 12-19-2002 03:17 PM

My story is the same as most others here. I was looking for pictures actually from the movie on askjeeves, and they gave me this link. That was about 7 months ago.

LadyElbereth 12-19-2002 03:28 PM

Ummm, my story is exactly like DarkRose's. Weird... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Scattergold 12-19-2002 03:51 PM

I just arrived here about 10 minutes ago via the Encyclopedia of Arda [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So far so good!!

Beren87 12-19-2002 04:38 PM

When I first signed up for EZboard, I searched for Tolkien related sites and found this one. Ahhh the Downs, my souldmate. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Veritas 12-19-2002 04:55 PM

I friend of me told me about this site because of the namegenerator... Well, I browsed the forum a few times, and there was Veritas [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Later I've been visiting the chat more. Although lately there are tons of screaming fun girls there *sigh*...
Venerunt Quererunt Fugerunt.

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]

Nurumaiel 12-19-2002 05:43 PM

I got an email from a friend who loved LOTR as much as I, and she told me her Elvish name. I asked her where she got it and I came here! I discovered the forums reading through fanfiction and finding the Rohan RPG. I clicked on the link to see the RPG, and I came to the forums. So, if there were some poll or something where you had to say how you found the Barrow-Downs, it would be 'From A Friend.' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

EDIT: I forgot to mention. Welcome to the Downs, Scattergold!

~Nurumaiel, or just Nuru

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie 12-19-2002 06:24 PM

I was looking for a site dedicated to The Barrow Downs, my favorite part of the book. Well, I kept finding site that gave like a one-sentence definition of The Barrow Downs. I went to this site and looked around in the forum. You might think that I would be dissapointed, finding yet another site that doesn't really live up to its name. But actually I realized I could talk about ME all the time and I love it. I wasn't dissapointed at all. Although I'm still looking for a site really about the Barrow Downs, I find myself here a lot. I think that I've been here so much that I feel I've been here for years, even though I registered last November.

Kalimac 12-19-2002 07:05 PM

I was looking for movie information (especially movie/book comparisons) around the time that FOTR came out, and one of the links that popped up was to a thread in the movie forum. Oddly enough I don't remember which thread it was [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. But I did stay to look over the whole Barrow-Downs forum and loved it since it wasn't just drooling over movie characters or only for people who had read the Sil 15 times; it had something for every mood (sorry to be gushy). I lurked for about three months and then joined (I only belong to 2 internet forums total, I like to sleep on these things). It's been fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]

Tigerlily Gamgee 12-20-2002 12:22 AM

"Candle of the Marshes"... we likes it, yeessss, we likes it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I honestly don't really remember how I found my way here. I think it was from a links page on another site... it was probably along the path of my endless pursuit of Tolkien knowledge after seeing the first film.

Gayahithwen 12-20-2002 03:02 AM

Let me see..

Oh, yes.. One and a half year ago I was a Harry Potter-freak (though I had read LotR and liked it, it was still HP that was my major interest). I used to hang out on a fun Hogwarts-site, and many of the people there was (apart from being HP-fanatics) LotR-fans. So, one day when we were chatting along, some of the 'teachers' gave me the link to the name-generators.. I played around with them alot, went here some times during the following months, took a look into the forum and the chat, and finally signed up in December last year.

Alphaelin 12-20-2002 03:35 AM

I found my way here from TORN about a year ago, and after looking at several of the sections over time, decided to join. I like all discussions of Tolkien's work, as well as the silly parts of the site.

mordol 12-20-2002 03:53 AM

I was searching for a LOTR encyclopedia, best thing I ever did was find the Barrow Downs one

mary_lou 12-20-2002 04:37 AM

Err... I started my message boarding career as a strict Star Wars, nothing else girl, then some people on one of the forums got me interested in LOTR, I started looking for a copy of the LOTR script for a fanfic, got onto a site, accidently clicked on the link to here, and here I am! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Maikadilwen 12-20-2002 01:36 PM

Also try to look here. It was started a long time ago but has been posted on pretty recently.

Nianna Telmnar 12-20-2002 02:16 PM

Like many of you, I followed the route of searching for a LOTR name generator. I poked around there for awhile typing in all my frinds names and then I clicked on forum on a whim. And now I'm here. I'm also proud to say that I have gotten 3 more of my friends addicted to the BD.

engwaalphiel 12-21-2002 09:38 AM

After reading the hobbit when I was 9 or 10 , I never realised until I was older that Lord of the Rings concerned middle earth also. So when I read LOTR , Sim , HOME etc i started to become much more interested in ME , Tolkien and his characters. I was aimlessly wandering the net one day when i decided to find an elven name and behold I found the barrowdowns! I vistited to read articles , play the games etc but didn't join for quite some time (everyone seemed so intelligent!) Then one day i did ! and voila!

TealDude3 12-21-2002 10:19 AM

There was this kid on my school bus, and he wouldn't stop talking about LOTR. And he just kept talking about Barow-Downs.com. I had read FOTR, so I decided to go to the site. Ta-Daaaa!

dragoneyes 12-21-2002 10:26 AM

My friend (ElentariGreenleaf) came here and sent me her Mad libs (which, may I add, didn't make any sense whatsoever) when I finally worked out what a 'Mad Lib' was I came here and did a few of my own, I got bored with that and progressed to the rest of the games (hanghobbit mostly [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]) then onto the fanfics and finally here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

vanwalossien 12-21-2002 12:02 PM

I'm just another in the 'I also want an Elvish name'-category. My friend found this site (I think she heard of it from her sister) and she told me I could get an Elvish name there. By pure chance I happened to take a look at the forum and voila *watches her social life blow away like leaves in a storm*

Gorwingel 12-23-2002 12:37 AM

I was just searching about anything I could about Lord of the Rings and stuff and I just came upon here. I think the art section and all the games on the main site are wonderful, and I would just read in the forums what all the fellow fans were talking about.

LePetitChoux 12-23-2002 05:50 AM

There was a craze on Orlando Bloom in our school [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , and people were looking on the main site, so I went along one day and started checking all the bits of it out, and voila! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Dark Shadow 12-23-2002 12:25 PM

hmmmm. I may have seen a like somewhere..... oh that's it. Someone linked me to the personality thingy on the main site and I was looking around and I saw "forums" and I love forums [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] so I just thought i'd take a look, and then i kinda registered.... an here i am.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Celebrodiel 12-23-2002 01:16 PM

I came here to find out my Elvish name, and came across the forum button. So here I am!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Maylin Talese 12-23-2002 01:53 PM

it started with the Lapas Strosh, the Eternal Storm....my ship drifted to close to it, next thing I knew, I was dead...
**just kidding**

I was searching for something about Sam, I think, and I stumbled on to it.

Helkahothion 12-23-2002 02:03 PM

HAHAHAHAHA liked that one Maylin Talese.

Hey what do you know this can maybe become a tread that will be larger thatn one page. Yes I finnaly made it.

Keep posting people.
________
Honda crf230

Thor 01-12-2003 06:42 AM

I ended up here after having a link emailed for the Barrow-Downs name generator... Sound familiar anyone? Anyway, love all the talk about the movies - it's great to hear what all those like-minded people think (and unlike-minded [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). Can't tell you all what a relief to find people who love nit-picking like me!!

redshelob 01-12-2003 09:39 AM

My story is similar. I wandered by, lurked, and decided to stay. But unlike many here, I read the books before most of you were born. Before terms like "nerd" or "geek" were used. Peter Jackson is a hero. Tolkien is forever. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Helkahothion 01-12-2003 10:55 AM

Dear redshellob

Darn you, if you would have only said Tolkien Forever a few years ago he would still be alive.

Ahw well, we all go wen out time comes.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Charmant

MYyyPreciousSS 01-12-2003 01:07 PM

Yet another person who came to the site for the name generator.... But once I was done with that, I started to search around the site and came to the forums. I had never been to a LOTR related messageboard before, and I was really impressed, so I joined. I'm glad this was the first messageboard I saw, because in my opion, its still the best.

Helkahothion 01-12-2003 01:11 PM

Greetings all,

Hm I gues the Forum page is some sort of sucking gap that will keep you locked inside of him forever.

But then again, maybe not.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Csi: ny dicussion

aragornreborn 01-23-2003 10:47 PM

Well, I think I was looking for LOTR related sites and I just randomly clicked on the Barrowdowns. I took the personality test and it told me I was Aragorn! Yay! Anyway, I was hooked. I got my name, and then I found the forum. And here I am...

zacattack 01-24-2003 01:49 AM

I asked one of my freinds were they got their personality tests and they said at the BarrowDowns so here I am