The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Admin. Thread - Tol-in-Gaurhoth LVII: Chess Game for Middle Earth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15314)

Shastanis Althreduin 02-08-2009 03:52 PM

Admin. Thread - Tol-in-Gaurhoth LVII: Chess Game for Middle Earth

This game will be perhaps a bit more role-heavy than most games.

Roles

Black Bishop, Black Knight, Black Rook - Werewolves of the gifted style. The Bishop is an Evil Seer, the Knight an Evil Ranger (who can protect themselves once, and cannot protect the same player twice in a row), and the Rook an Evil Hunter (who takes the person they're hunting with them when they die, irrespective of role).

Black Queen - Werebear.

Black Pawn - Cobbler. If dreamt, appears as an ordinary innocent.

White Bishop - Gifted Seer. Can PM other Gifteds at night (and they can PM back) if they dream of one.

White Knight - Gifted Ranger. Can protect themselves once during the game, and cannot protect the same player twice.

White Rook - Gifted Hunter. Only takes the person they're hunting with them if they're evil. Can take the Black Pawn with them.

White Queen - ??? Guess you'll have to find out. ;)

White Pawns - Ordinary innocents.

Votes are retractable once per day. They should appear as follows:

++Shasta

and retracted as follows:

--Shasta

In the event of a tie, lynch will be randomized between everyone involved.

If a player does not vote for two days in a row, modfire will happen.

Votes will be locked on the hour, as according to the BD clock. Even if I'm a few minutes late with my post (which has happened once or twice as I'm bad at syncing clocks), no votes will be counted after XX:01.

The game will begin roughly a week from now, depending on the number of players, at 12:00 AM CST (which, I believe, is GMT -6). Please, though, if that's wrong, feel free to correct me.

You may now sign up.

Players:
Mirandir
Durelin
Feanor of the Peredhil
Isabellkya
Nerwen
Eomer of the Rohirrim
the phantom
Brinniel
satansaloser2005
Gwathagor
Lariren Shadow
wilwarin538
Rikae
Eonwe
Nogrod
Mnemosyne
Kath
Hansy

?Legate?

satansaloser2005 02-08-2009 09:41 PM

Please don't kill me, but as of now I can't play. Sorry, honey. :(

Mirandir 02-08-2009 10:47 PM

I'm in. :D

Durelin 02-08-2009 10:52 PM

Yeah, wow, that's a lot of roles...

I'll play.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-08-2009 10:57 PM

Fine. I'm playing. :rolleyes::cool:

Isabellkya 02-09-2009 12:35 AM

I am game for this game. xD

Nerwen 02-09-2009 03:02 AM

Count me in. I expected I'll be the victim of a payback lynch on Day One, though...

Eomer of the Rohirrim 02-09-2009 02:12 PM

It's been a while since I played in a game where I haven't wanted to lynch Shasta, but sign me up all the same!

the phantom 02-09-2009 04:52 PM

Ooh, a chess match. Can't pass this one up.

I'm in.

Aganzir 02-09-2009 04:59 PM

Soon you're probably going to tell me Saucie will return from his absence and join this game, too...

I'd love to play but I don't think I have the time. However, if that happens, I promise to consider it (or, alternatively, it takes really long to get going).

Eönwë 02-09-2009 05:02 PM

I'll hopefully play. Depends on the date and such.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-09-2009 07:15 PM

Steve, you should totally play.

Brinniel 02-09-2009 11:14 PM

I think I promised you at some point that I'd join your game when it came up...so I'd certainly be a terrible person not to. And anyway, me not joining a WW game? Unheard of! :Merisu:

Do you plan on having the correct number of white pawns in this game? According to Wiki, that'd be eight....making the total of seventeen players. Or do you simply plan to take whoever signs up, no matter the number?

Also, with the werebear, does this mean there will be two kills every Night? Or will it be done on alternating Nights or something? If there are two kills every Night, I'm assuming this will have to be a fairly large game in order to balance things out. Though I don't exactly know since I don't recall I've played with a werebear before..

Lastly, I really hope knowing how to play chess is not a requirement for this game. :p

satansaloser2005 02-10-2009 01:05 AM

Hey, Shasta, guess what? My computer's not a complete loss so I can play after all!

Sign me up, dearie! :D

Shastanis Althreduin 02-10-2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 584966)
I think I promised you at some point that I'd join your game when it came up...so I'd certainly be a terrible person not to. And anyway, me not joining a WW game? Unheard of! :Merisu:

Do you plan on having the correct number of white pawns in this game? According to Wiki, that'd be eight....making the total of seventeen players. Or do you simply plan to take whoever signs up, no matter the number?

Also, with the werebear, does this mean there will be two kills every Night? Or will it be done on alternating Nights or something? If there are two kills every Night, I'm assuming this will have to be a fairly large game in order to balance things out. Though I don't exactly know since I don't recall I've played with a werebear before..

Lastly, I really hope knowing how to play chess is not a requirement for this game. :p

I'm taking everyone who signs up, but I hope to have at least that number, since there will be two attacks per Night. And knowing how to play isn't a requirement; however, it might be a requirement to figure out the death notations! :p

Beregond 02-10-2009 09:18 AM

Very confusing...and tempting. Looks like a fun game with interesting new concepts but I don't know if I can participate. RL suffered rather from last game. I'll think about it. Put me down as a maybe if you like, or just as a no, and I can jump in later if there's still a spot and I want it. :)

Gwathagor 02-10-2009 01:17 PM

The Shadowblade is playing.

Lariren Shadow 02-10-2009 10:12 PM

So part of me really wants to play. Like really truly wants to play. And part of me also knows I'm going to start freaking out the big paper I have to write this term...

Screw it I'm in.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-10-2009 10:46 PM

Maybe it'll be easier this time with us all being on vacation in different places next week, Mira and Lari. :p

Mirandir 02-10-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil (Post 585050)
Maybe it'll be easier this time with us all being on vacation in different places next week, Mira and Lari. :p

Somehow I seriously doubt that. :p

wilwarin538 02-11-2009 05:57 PM

I haven't been a round here in a while but I'd like to jump back in and I think this would be a great way to do that, and to get to know some of the new faces I'm seeing. The changes to the game seem really neat, I'd definetely need to spend some time reading through the last few games to see how it's being done now, don't want to be completely lost, ;) .

So I'd like to play, if you'll have me! :)

Shastanis Althreduin 02-11-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilwarin538 (Post 585154)
I haven't been a round here in a while but I'd like to jump back in and I think this would be a great way to do that, and to get to know some of the new faces I'm seeing. The changes to the game seem really neat, I'd definetely need to spend some time reading through the last few games to see how it's being done now, don't want to be completely lost, ;) .

So I'd like to play, if you'll have me! :)

I don't think I've ever seen you around, but I'm glad to have you on board. :)

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-11-2009 07:33 PM

Wilwa! Hooray for people from my impressionable youth...

wilwarin538 02-11-2009 07:44 PM

Ah Fea, I was really happy to see you were still around, and it will be fun to play this with you again! Also happy to see Eomer and Phantom on the players list, those two definitely make this game interesting. Hopefully I haven't completely lost my abilities to play, haha!

Now I'm off to spend a few hours reading up on the last few games! :cool:

wilwarin538 02-11-2009 08:30 PM

Quick question. What exactly is a Cobbler? That's a new one for me.

Shastanis Althreduin 02-11-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilwarin538 (Post 585168)
Quick question. What exactly is a Cobbler? That's a new one for me.

A Cobbler is, in effect, a plain innocent who wants the baddies to win and tries to help them. They have no powers and count as an innocent in the village total.

wilwarin538 02-13-2009 10:48 AM

Of course, I should have known that :rolleyes:, I remember TORE doing a wonderful job as Cobbler in one game I played.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 02-13-2009 12:29 PM

Indeed wilwa, I seem to remember that you played the role of girl-who-innocently-believes-Eomer-leading-to-bloodbath. How come TORE doesn't play anymore?

Good to see you again!

wilwarin538 02-13-2009 01:09 PM

Yes, that was me indeed, it was my first game and I had no clue what I was doing, so I was an easy pawn to your wolfish schemes ;). But in one of my last games I was the sneaky one with the wolfish schemes that lead to all three wolves surviving to the end, and no one suspected me in that one :smokin:. So I won't be falling for your tricks again any time soon Eomer :p.

That's why I'm very excited about the player list for this games, some names I recognise as being very accomplished players, and other's I don't recognise but I know probably have many tricks up their sleeves. It's an interesting situation for me, I have played many of these games and yet I'm coming into this one practically as a newbie.

Rikae 02-13-2009 06:39 PM

Having never played in a werebear game where I wasn't the werebear - I think I'll sign up.

I am the white bishop, knight, and rook of course (just to get that out of the way). :cool:

Shastanis Althreduin 02-15-2009 01:22 PM

Oh dear. Is anyone else going to sign up? What about those "maybes"? :confused:

Kath 02-15-2009 01:49 PM

Could you put me down as a maybe until a little later today or tomorrow when I've had a chance to read the rules! I want to play I just need to check it all makes sense. :D

wilwarin538 02-15-2009 02:31 PM

I actually have a couple questions about the gifted wolves. I can understand how the Were-Seer would work, but the Were-Ranger and Were-Hunter confused me a bit, how exactly would that work?

It would be fun to have you in the game Kath! :D

Eönwë 02-15-2009 04:20 PM

I'm definitely in if the game starts this week.

Beregond 02-15-2009 05:38 PM

Sorry, I'm officially out of this game - too many other things I need to be doing. I hope everyone has fun! :)

Nogrod 02-15-2009 05:48 PM

A chess theme, and a nice looking bunch of players, and a role-play oriented game, and having had a way too terrible games the last few times (being lynched or killed by the wolves very early on), and having had exhausting weeks in RL workwise, I really need a break-away...

Yes, count me in Shasta. :)

PS. Let me warn you that I may try some new openings in this game. Like I haven't said this a thousand times before... but let's see. :rolleyes:

Shastanis Althreduin 02-15-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilwarin538 (Post 585447)
I actually have a couple questions about the gifted wolves. I can understand how the Were-Seer would work, but the Were-Ranger and Were-Hunter confused me a bit, how exactly would that work?

It would be fun to have you in the game Kath! :D

The evil Ranger and Hunter work exactly the same as the Gifted Ranger and Hunter, except that the evil Hunter will take the person they are hunting down with them when they die, regardless of alignment.

Lalaith 02-16-2009 07:58 AM

Sorry, just poking my nose in here out of curiosity...I'm still confused about the evil Hunter and Ranger.
Do the werecreatures know each other's identities? In which case, how would an evil Hunter ever take anything but an innocent with them?
And the evil Ranger...against what would he be protecting his fellows? The werebear?

Shastanis Althreduin 02-16-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalaith (Post 585478)
Sorry, just poking my nose in here out of curiosity...I'm still confused about the evil Hunter and Ranger.
Do the werecreatures know each other's identities? In which case, how would an evil Hunter ever take anything but an innocent with them?
And the evil Ranger...against what would he be protecting his fellows? The werebear?

The Black Queen and the Black Rook, Knight, and Bishop aren't the same team. The Black Knight could protect his team from the Queen, or perhaps protect someone else to be able to claim Ranger later, or something. The Black Rook could potentially take the Black Queen or Pawn with them, or an innocent.

Mnemosyne 02-16-2009 11:52 PM

Hmm, this sounds interesting.

I think I'll join.

P.S. Quack.