The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   9 Fingers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2357)

Aerandir Carnesir 02-07-2003 07:39 PM

9 Fingers

Does anyone else find it ironic that The maker of the ring(Sauron) and the (intended) destroyer of the ring(Frodo) both somehow ended up with nine fingers?

Aeryn Evenstar 02-07-2003 08:13 PM

I never thought of that. Yeah, it is ironic. I'm wondering if it's the same finger? From what I have read in ROTK it was Frodo's index finger. 'Course I don't recall it being said in the books that Sauron was missing a finger... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Beren87 02-07-2003 08:22 PM

Not really....the easiest way to take a ring off a person is to take their finger with it.

Arvedui III 02-07-2003 09:05 PM

It kind of is. I mean, It's hard to take off just one finger with a sword (or shards of one) and if you bite hard enough, you'd think that some of the other fingers would need stiches.

Aratlithiel 02-07-2003 09:53 PM

Actually, Frodo loses his right ring finger. I don't believe it's specified anywhere which one Sauron loses.

Here's irony for you - I was just over on the 'Irony' thread and had to come over here for this fine example since we all missed this point over there! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gorwingel 02-07-2003 10:21 PM

I never thought of that, I knew both of them lost the finger that was wearing the ring, but I did not realize that they both shared that in common, thanks for bringing that up [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Beren87 02-07-2003 10:55 PM

Hm...in the Silm, it only says Isildur cut the ring from the hand of Sauron. He could have cut more than one finger off. And, come to think of it, in the movie he does.

Aerandir Carnesir 02-07-2003 11:13 PM

You also make a good point. But they still lost at least one finger none the less. I see what your saying though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And for the others, I thought it was Frodo's middle finger on his right hand because Tolkien wrote "It was the right hand, and the third finger was missing." Just if you wanted to see for yourself. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]

Aratlithiel 02-07-2003 11:14 PM

Yes, but Gollum says something like...'Only nine fingers he has on the black hand.' (Kinda sounded like Yoda, there.)

doug*platypus 02-08-2003 04:40 AM

Aerandir Carnesir, the third finger in this case is (funnily enough) his ring finger. The thumb isn't counted, and the ring finger is often referred to as the third finger (after the index and the middle).

It is very ironic that Frodo ended up resembling Sauron in this way. He never would have had the power to do anything, but it is quite frightening to think that good old Frodo turned to evil in the end and claimed the Ring. Maybe Tolkien wanted to say that you lose part of yourself by embracing evil. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.

mark12_30 02-08-2003 09:43 AM

TTT: The Black Gate is Closed: (Frodo speaking initially)
Quote:

"It was Isildur who cut off the finger of the Enemy."
"Yes, he has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough," said Gollum shuddering. "And He hated Isildur's city."

Ithilgaladh 02-23-2003 10:33 AM

The relevance of this may be absolutely non-existant, but has anyone else noticed the lack of detail in the story going into discussing Frodo's missing finger after the intial incident? I realize that with all that went on outside of it, it's really not that important (the world being saved, and all). But it seems to me that dealing with the healing over of a missing finger and learning to use your hand without it would be mighty difficult, not to mention the pain. The ring finger is largely vestigial, but still, I would be miffed! (I've given far too much thought over this finger-thing) I suppose though, that after the burden of the One Ring, our dear Frodo can deal with just about anything.

Dain 02-23-2003 02:15 PM

Kinda like how both Vader and Luke loose a hand...except not really...but still...

*chomp*

I figured that Sauron could re-grow fingers at will. Strange how Gollum says that he only has nine. Maybe he left it that way to remind him of his loss--as if he needs reminding. I'm a bit fuzzy on the nature of Sauron's coporeal form anyway. I'd better search me up a thread on that, eh?

Lady Alasse 02-25-2003 10:21 AM

Don't the bards make a song about Frodo of the nine fingers? I am looking through the books and I seem to remember a song about Frodo of the nine-fingers, but I can't seem to find it.

Sleeping Beauty 02-25-2003 11:42 AM

Yes, there is a song. Sam predicted it on the moutain, and it came true. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The song is near the end of the chaper the Field of Cormallen in the Return of the King, thought it's just a mention, not actually written out.

It is interesting to think about the fact that both of them ended up with their ring fingers missing. I think it is a sign(intentional or non-intentional) that absolute power corrupts absolute. No one has the ability to control that much power, so they both lost the part of themselves that was closest to the ring when they tried to gain that power. (Though lost a little bit more than that considering his essence was in the ring) Anyways, so in that sense they are similar. But the thought that good old Frodo has that much in common with Sauron the Deciever is still frightening though. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]