The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who’s got the best Title? (Do I hear some Nominees?) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4682)

The Perky Ent 08-09-2004 10:13 PM

Yes, keep Strong Bad alive :D And BTW, Firefoot has a new one? Like, a different one before Illusionary Holbytla? Or do you mean a newly acquired title?

Gil-Galad 08-09-2004 10:14 PM

actually i meant Illusionary Hobytla...heh

The Perky Ent 08-09-2004 10:19 PM

Sorry. If you will, please accept my apology as I say in the words of a wise man....D'oh!

Gil-Galad 08-09-2004 10:20 PM

Wise indeed....Its all secrets and lies! always secrets and lies!

Firefoot 08-10-2004 06:16 AM

Thanks Gil-Galad.

I really like Durelin's "Estelo dagnir, Melo ring."
Aiwendil's "Late Istar" somehow seems to go very well with her nick. It sounds right together.
Iarwain's "Pugnacious Primoridial Paradox" sounds cool once I finally figured out how to say it... :rolleyes: ;)

So many more...!

Eomer of the Rohirrim 08-10-2004 11:18 AM

Iarwain's, Saucepan's and rimabud's as have been mentioned plus;

Lord of Angmar's Tyrannus Incorporalis

Elennar Starfire 08-10-2004 11:24 AM

HerenIstarion has quite possibly my favourite...Deadnight Chanter

Lyta_Underhill 08-10-2004 12:03 PM

A Short List

Hmmmm....favorites...lots of 'em! Particulars include:
Seeker of the Straight Path (lindil)-this is probably the first title that really intrigued me, even before I read the Silmarillion! It has resonance beyond the reference!
Eidolon of a Took (Diamond18)--I admit I had to look up "Eidolon"
Fair and Cold (Lush)--plucked from the heart of Eowyn!
Sword of the Spirit (Raefindel)--another resonant title!
Zombie Cannibal (HCIsland)--just plain amusing!
Stormdancer of Doom (mark12_30)--Doomsayer, but a happy, elemental one! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!
Dead and Loving It (Mhoram)--somehow, Mhoram registers an image of Leslie Nielsen as Dracula in my mind because of this title!
Registered User (Ainaserkewen) --this one looks like a mistake!?! Or a really good trick!
Deadnight Chanter (Heren Istarion)--sounds like what one might hear outside in the dead of night if you open your ears carefully! :)
Dread Horseman (Mister Underhill)--when I first saw this title, my first reaction was "be afraid...be VERY afraid!" ;)

There are more out there I enjoy, but these come to mind!
Cheers!
Lyta

Son of Númenor 08-10-2004 01:04 PM

Quote:

Aiwendil's "Late Istar" somehow seems to go very well with her nick. It sounds right together.
Just to clear this up: I don't think Aiwendil is a 'she'. I may be wrong, though. 'Aiwendil' means 'Bird-lover', and was Radagast the Brown's name in Valinor. At any rate, the "Late Istar" PT is very cool.

Firefoot 08-10-2004 03:42 PM

Oh... well, Aiwendil, if you are a he I apologize. I had always imagined you as a she.

Elennar Starfire 08-10-2004 07:13 PM

Deadnight Chanter makes me think of waking my annoying neighbors that stay up partying in their backyard (loudly) until past midnight...how would I wake them? Playing a bagpipe chanter of course...at four in the morning...and I don't play very well at all....

Fordim Hedgethistle 08-22-2004 06:54 PM

Quote:

On a similar note: I can't wait to see what Fordim Hedgethistle chooses, when a title comes his way.
Hope I haven't disappointed Sono. :D

Firefoot 08-22-2004 06:56 PM

Congrats Fordim! I like it very much, sounds very cool to say. I was repeating it to myself earlier.

The Perky Ent 08-22-2004 06:59 PM

Nice one Fordim....wait a minute? Didn't you already have a title? Did you change titles, or have I been drinking too much ent draught?

Son of Númenor 08-22-2004 07:07 PM

It is perfect, Fordim. I love all the alliterative ones I've seen: Saucey's Corpus Cacophonous, Kransha's newly-acquired Ubiquitous Urulóki, and piosenniel's Desultory Dwimmerlaik, to name a few. This one may take the cake, though I don't know how many of your contribution to this forum can be written off as 'gibbering'. ;)

Fordim Hedgethistle 08-22-2004 07:08 PM

No Perky, I did not have an official title before -- "Fordim the Magnificent" was merely what I called myself! ;)

And thanks for your compliments re the sound of the title, Firefoot. I thought a good sounding title would be appropriate -- "Cellar Door!"

Kransha 08-22-2004 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
Nice one Fordim....wait a minute? Didn't you already have a title? Did you change titles, or have I been drinking too much ent draught?

Too much Ent draught, m'lad.

I must admit that, when I had very few posts, I was much concerned with a future PT, but then, when the PM came today, I had forgotten about it. I also regret to say that I forgot Fordim's fabulous title suggestion (which will remain unmentioned). Now, I merely have what I have. I'm rather fond of it, though.

I always liked the alliteration fad in PT's. Many just struck me as neat. The only one I've EVER had to consult a dictionary about was Diamond18's 'Eidolon of a Took.' To this day 'Desultory Dwimmerlaik' is one of my favorites. I can't remember who it was that had 'Folly of Starlight' but I really like that one.

Fordim, is it just me, or did we both get titled on the same day? I didn't see your 'Gibbering Gibbet' before today, and I got mine via PM this morning. Seeing your title makes me think of Saruman's speech in The Voice of Saruman. I always enjoyed that, because I'm so attached to that polychromatic Istar.

P.S. Son of Numenor, kudos on being the first person in a long time to have a PT before reaching 500 posts. I can only assume that you have it because you're technically a mod, but I must admit that I like it, and can't hide the greenery in me. Mea culpa.

Son of Númenor 08-22-2004 07:27 PM

I did indeed get it because I'm a mod. In that way, I feel inferior to other owners of a title. I can only hope that, when the BD administration really feels I am deserving of special recognition, they will send me a congratulatory PM. :rolleyes:
Quote:

Fordim, is it just me, or did we both get titled on the same day?
My understanding is that the administration tends to give titles out in 'waves'. Your wave just happens to be smaller than its recent predecessor.

Aylwen Dreamsong 08-22-2004 07:27 PM

Gibbering Gibbet...wow...try saying that five times fast!

Wait...

Nevermind, it's not that hard. Okay, anyway, I definitely like your new one, Fordim, and congrats! You too, Kransha!

My favorites...well...

Scent of Simbelmyne Sophia - (Just pretend the cute little double-dot is there above the 'e') I love this one because it just seems kind of nostalgic to me.

Stormdancer of Doom mark12_30 - I love thunderstorms, and just the thought of dancing through storms amuses me. :D

As far as the alliteration fad...I, too, hopped on that bandwagon after enjoying the splendidly alliterated PTs of others. ;)

-Aylwen

The Perky Ent 08-22-2004 08:02 PM

Kransha: Congrats! You really deserve it!

Once again, Symestreem's
Quote:

Face in the Water
story of my life...

Diamond18 08-22-2004 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kransha
The only one I've EVER had to consult a dictionary about was Diamond18's 'Eidolon of a Took.'

Well, then you will be glad to know that I had to look up Urulóki in the Tolkien dictionary. ;) Now I am officially afraid of you ubiquitous presence.

Another good alliteritive one (whilst some of you are on the subject) is VanimaEdhel's Ethereal Enchantress.

B-W's new Night in Wight Satin is pretty cool.

Mithalwen 08-23-2004 10:17 AM

Favourites are:

Spirit of the Lonely Star
Brightness of a Blade
Desultory Dwimmerlaik .......
Deadnight Chanter (so intriguing that the explanation was a disappointment.... :p )

Hookbill the Goomba 08-23-2004 10:22 AM

Eomer, Auspicious Wraith, very nice!

When I become eligible for a title I have considered the following;

King of the world (as Melkor named himself)
Lord of the citadel
Master of Fates
The a cursed
Long deceased
The Wight with no name.

Mithalwen 08-23-2004 10:26 AM

But why doesn't Davem have a special title despite having the highest reputation on the downs? Is it a matter of conscience perhaps ... like refusing a Knighthood?

Fordim Hedgethistle 08-23-2004 11:07 AM

I know for a fact that davem has recieved the right to a title, but he has yet to choose one for himself.

I think that we should all pester him until he takes one up.

Quote:

despite having the highest reputation on the downs
Hmmm. . . *Fordim double checks this on the Members List*

We'll have to see about that. . . *evil chuckle* :D ;) :)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 08-23-2004 11:08 AM

Maybe he's superstitious.

Thanks Hookbill! I was dancing around the room when I found out I had been offered one. :D

Imladris 08-23-2004 12:56 PM

I must say that Kransha's and Fordim's are really really great. Very unique...They actually remind me of Lewis Caroll...

Mithalwen 08-24-2004 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle

Hmmm. . . *Fordim double checks this on the Members List*

We'll have to see about that. . . *evil chuckle* :D ;) :)

Unhealthy competition! I love it *Mwahahahahahaha...*

Mithalwen 08-27-2004 09:13 AM

Been garnering support then Fordim...... :rolleyes:

Aylwen Dreamsong 08-27-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

I must say that Kransha's and Fordim's are really really great. Very unique...They actually remind me of Lewis Caroll...
But now that I think about it, Imladris, I really like your PT! Reminds me of a certain headmaster of a certain school in a certain book...:D

-Aylwen

mark12_30 08-27-2004 12:58 PM

There are two I've always thought were exceptionally classy.

Mithadan (which means Grey Man, after all--) Spirit of Mist. Simple, and long-lasting.

Mister Underhill: Dread Horseman. The combination pairs Frodo's flight and the black rider. Nice trick.

Third-- it's new, but it's good: Night In Wight Satin. (I would have spelled knight with a K, though.)

Legolas 08-27-2004 01:35 PM

But that's not how the song goes. :rolleyes:

Imladris 08-28-2004 02:09 AM

Quote:

I did indeed get it because I'm a mod. In that way, I feel inferior to other owners of a title. I can only hope that, when the BD administration really feels I am deserving of special recognition, they will send me a congratulatory PM.
SoN, if you were chosen to be a mod, then I'm pretty sure you deserved the title. I like to consider it a two way street: If you are honoured with a PT then that's great. However, if you're a relatively new member and you're made a mod -- now that is a compliment and attests that you already deserve a title. Of course, I could be wrong...*thoughtful look*

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't feel inferior.

Ah, thank you Aylwen! I'm very fond of it myself...the whole phoenix thing...bloody brilliant*cough* *remembers that this is a Tolkien forum*

The Only Real Estel 08-28-2004 07:58 AM

Eomer's Auspicious Wraith

Kransha's Ubiquitous Urulóki (Though I don't even pretend to know what it means)

Fordim's Gibbering Gibbet

& Son of Numenor's A Shade of Westernesse are some of my favorites. Though you've got to love those Ghost Princes ;).

mark12_30 09-03-2004 06:21 AM

Wow

Hilde's new title completely blows me away!!

Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Perfect. It hardly gets more Tolkien than that!!!!

Amanaduial the archer 09-03-2004 10:40 AM

I like Aylwen's Melody of Misery, and along with Imladris's Tears of the Phoenix, it is probably my favourite - although Diamond's Eidelon of a Took just makes me smile, simply because it uses the word 'eidelon' - it's like when one of my relatives called my cousin an 'omadhaun' and he actually looked it up - it makes you feel conned when you find that it means 'fool'! :D (Omadhaun is Irish for 'fool').

I am rather fond of my own, but if I was able to choose a new title, I think I would pick 'Angel on the Seventh Step' - anyone who has read Frank McCourt's autobiography 'Angela's Ashes' will understand the story of the Angel who brought babies and left them on the seventh step...the name and the stories with it from Frank's childish point of view just make me smile.

Sirithheruwen 09-03-2004 03:17 PM

I love the phantom's Beloved Shadow, because that is exactly what he is: the Downs's beloved shadow! :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-05-2004 04:30 PM

I'm remarkably fond of Melody of Misery and Deadnight Chanter.

the phantom 09-05-2004 09:34 PM

Awww...that's sweet of you, Sirith.

When I came up with my title, I was not trying to be witty, goofy, or poetic. I wanted a title that accurately described what I was (or hoped I was) in the eyes of my fellow Barrow-Downers.

It is wonderful to see that someone thinks I chose wisely.

Fingolfin II 09-21-2004 02:01 AM

I like Heren Istarion's 'Deadnight Chanter' and Perky's recently acquired 'Registered User'. Made me think I wasn't logged in ;).