The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Yet Another Baby Wight Born (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19640)

Legate of Amon Lanc 10-04-2022 07:49 AM

Yet Another Baby Wight Born

Keeping with the good tradition of this site that has created so many couples and, in notable number of cases, has led to producing a new generation of Barrow-Downer offspring, I would like to announce with great joy the birth of Thinlómien and Legate of Amon Lanc's baby daughter.

Her due date was officially 22nd September, but as a debatable screenwriter once wrote, a Wizard is never late, nor is she early, she arrives precisely when she means to. We therefore did not exactly make it for Cormarë, but nonetheless - the little one is now with us and we hope that in time, she would not frown on her parents' interests but perhaps find her own joy in them (or even join this very community, if we dared to hope - that would create already a third-generation 'Downer in one family, which would truly be something).

Keeping with the Finnish custom of naming children usually only a couple of weeks or months after birth, I cannot share a name with you, but I can tell you that much that, unsurprisingly, Tolkien referrences have been heavily considered among our options.

Formendacil 10-04-2022 08:10 AM

From our Downs family to yours: congratulations Legate and Lommy! Never mind their real name, what username to bequeath them? Thinny of Amon Lanc? Legalomien? The options are endless! :D

Mithadan 10-04-2022 09:33 AM

Congratulations!

Bêthberry 10-04-2022 10:38 AM

Congratulations to you, Legate and Lommie. And I believe congratulations are also in order to a certain Downer on gaining Gaffer status, Nogrod.
:cool:

Estelyn Telcontar 10-04-2022 12:25 PM

Congratulations and best wishes, Lommy and Legate, as well as Gaffer Nogrod and Auntie Greenie! How lovely to see the Barrow family growing!

Pitchwife 10-04-2022 12:49 PM

A laita te, a laita te!

O fabulous news, o great glory and splendour! A hearty welcome to the Baby Wight, best wishes for the health of Mother Penguin and her Werechick, and congratulations to the extended family!

Galadriel55 10-04-2022 08:40 PM

Happy birthday to the newly arrived Istar! And of course to the parents and all the rest of the family!

And it may of course only be a silly coincidence, but one of the things that marks a wizard is that many are their names in many countries - or forums. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formendacil (Post 736100)
From our Downs family to yours: congratulations Legate and Lommy! Never mind their real name, what username to bequeath them? Thinny of Amon Lanc? Legalomien? The options are endless!

Leglomien of Amon Thin! Penguin-180! :D

(But imagine the amount of wishy-floppy flip-washiness if someone with such a username ever joined a game of WW! :D)

Oddwen 10-04-2022 09:03 PM

(Is the title of Legate inheritable?)

Congratulations and much love to the expanded family! <3

Huinesoron 10-05-2022 02:58 AM

Congratulations Lommy and Legate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen (Post 736107)
Is the title of Legate inheritable?

In Middle-earth everything is hereditary. I think the heir to a Legate would be a Tribune, so congratulations to Tribune *Legalomien too. ^_^

hS

Morthoron 10-05-2022 05:17 PM

Best of wishes to you both and the best of health to the Halfling.

Legate of Amon Lanc 10-06-2022 02:47 AM

Thank y'all! :) I should say that it is also a joy and privilege that the little one has been born into such an amazing extended family that the 'Downs are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formendacil (Post 736100)
From our Downs family to yours: congratulations Legate and Lommy! Never mind their real name, what username to bequeath them? Thinny of Amon Lanc? Legalomien? The options are endless!

Now that is certainly a complicated topic indeed, it would probably easily fill its own thread by the amount of possibilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 736106)
Leglomien of Amon Thin! Penguin-180! :D

Penguin180 certainly sounds like a username.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 736106)
(But imagine the amount of wishy-floppy flip-washiness if someone with such a username ever joined a game of WW! :D)

In the name of Eru, no! I had not considered the potential genetic outcome in this particular field, and now I am dreading, should the hour ever come, reading such a person's Werewolf-analyses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen (Post 736107)
(Is the title of Legate inheritable?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 736109)
In Middle-earth everything is hereditary. I think the heir to a Legate would be a Tribune, so congratulations to Tribune *Legalomien too. ^_^

Ha! Indeed! Nice catch.

Obviously though if the Legate part is accounted for in the Tribune, then it should logically be something like Tribune of Amon Lóm. - Hey! Of course! How about something like...

*dramatic drumroll*

Tribune of Dor-Lómin?

Kuruharan 10-06-2022 07:03 AM

Oh Frabjous Day!

Congratulations to you both.

Thinlómien 10-14-2022 08:39 AM

Finally here! Apart from the werechick keeping me busy, our new internet provider seems to block the 'Down by default :eek: I had to install a free vpn just to get here...

Thank you all so much for the congratulations <3 I had a good chuckle about the usernames too; and how cute if she was a tribune! Let's also hope the kid doesn't take after her parents (and grandpa) as a werewolf player - just imagine the floodposting with her genes... :D

Boromir88 10-14-2022 09:26 PM

Congradulations to you both.

So, when does the indoctrination begin? :p

Thinlómien 10-22-2022 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 736201)
So, when does the indoctrination begin? :p

It already has - for instance I just started listening to The Silmarillion as an audiobook so she has been exposed to the Ainulindalë. (And unfortunately she might have heard some sounds of The Rings of Power too. :eek:) I also played/sang her some songs from the old Finnish LotR theatre/tv production... her favourite seemed to be Gimli's song of Dúrin which he sings in Moria. Interesting choice, I daresay! I guess 'Downs indoctrination will have to wait a little longer... ;)

Legate of Amon Lanc 10-23-2022 12:18 AM

Also as far as songs go, the song of Eärendil (which I sing in Czech) seems to be good for putting to sleep (well, I guess it is repetitive enough to pick up the pattern). Last time she seemed especially happy at the description of armour and all the other equipment. Other ones I have exposed her to (also in Czech) were the second version of the Dwarven song (the wind over withered heath), the song of Nimrodel, and a bit of Gollum's song.

Plus, yesterday when we were typing our respective rants about the RoP, she was present and Lommy showed her the very 'Downs and she reputedly seemed interested :D

Bêthberry 10-23-2022 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 736261)

Plus, yesterday when we were typing our respective rants about the RoP, she was present and Lommy showed her the very 'Downs and she reputedly seemed interested :D

I know it will be some time yet but I look forward to seeing her first attempts on the keyboard. I have to be very vigilant when typing because my cat really wants to express her opinion about Beruthiel and once she even hit a key combination that froze the keyboard. I had to reboot to be able to get the keyboard back. I don't think she's heard me talk about the "mouse" but who knows.

Remember to take a screen shot for her baby book!