The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Urgent help! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10810)

**sparkle fairy** 06-15-2004 06:54 AM

Urgent help!

I hope I am posting this in the right forumy bit, I was just wondering if anyone could help me I am making my friend a birthday card and I want to write across the front "Happy Birthday Lucy May" Would anybody be able to translate this into any form of elvish? If so please reply...it was her birthday yesterday!

HerenIstarion 06-15-2004 07:22 AM

it's probably crude, but maybe...

Almie Edinar, Lucy May

that is, from Etymologies:

YEN- year. Q yén (yen-); linyenwa old, having many years [LI]. Last day of year = qantien, N penninar [KWAT]; first year, first day minyen [MINI]. Endien Midyear [ÉNED] was a week outside the months, between the sixth and seventh months, [?dedicated] to the Trees: [also called] Aldalemnar, see LEP. N în year; ínias annals; iđrin year (= ien-rinde, see RIN); edinar (at-yēn-ar) anniversary day; ennin = Valian Year; ingem ‘year-sick’ = old (mortally) [GENG-WĀ]; ifant aged, long-lived (= yen-panta > impanta > in-fant) [KWAT].

and

GALA- thrive (prosper, be in health - be glad). Q ‘al m the following forms which are not confused with ala- ‘not’: alya prosperous, rich, abundant, blessed; alma good fortune, weal, wealth; almie, almare blessedness, ‘blessings’, good fortune, bliss; almárea blessed. Cf. name Almáriel. N galw; cf. names Galadhor, Galdor (later Gallor)–though these may contain GÁLAD. N galas growth, plant; galo- to grow. Possibly related are GÁLAD, GALÁS

Orofaniel 06-15-2004 08:44 AM

I've always been facinated by Tolkien's lanuages, and I'm trying to learn one of them myself actually. I did some research and this is what I found out.

Quenya;

Alassëa nosta
Alass= Joy - ëa= is the adjective ending.
Alassëa=Joyful?

Nosta= birth or birthday

Alassëa nosta, Lucy May=Joyful birthday, Lucy May(?)/ Happy Birthday, Lucy May(?)

Sindarin;

Edinor veren<- Edinor=Anniversary day (I think)

ver=Joy - en= Adjective ending

Edinor veren, Lucy May= Joyful anniversary day, Lucy May (?)

I'm not 100% sure these are correct, but this was the best I could do. :)

Good luck with the card! :)

Cheers,
Orofaniel

**sparkle fairy** 06-15-2004 09:53 AM

Thankyou both, now i just have to decide which to use.

Knight of Gondor 06-15-2004 08:19 PM

Sindarin

I'd go for Sindarin, Quenya became a little like Latin...pretty much no longer used in the third and fourth ages of ME.

**sparkle fairy** 06-16-2004 03:14 AM

Oh well in that case I shall, don't want to be out of date in the ages of you!

Arestevana 06-16-2004 05:34 AM

Perhaps this is too much or too late, but there are ways to translate 'Lucy May' as well. Lucy, (according to the book I'm holding) comes from Latin as 'light' which is cala in Quenya and galad in Sindarin. May, taken as the month, is in Quenya Lótessë, and in Sindarin Lothron.

Hope that helps!