The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Who was that again??? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4332)

merlilot 09-23-2002 06:44 PM

Who was that again???

In this one, you post a quote that was in the books and movie, but said by different people in each.

This one is kinda tricky, just to start off:
Quote:

The white tower of Ecthelion, gleaming like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze.
The other speaker and instance of this particular quote is not necessarily on the same sentence or grammatical structure. Just the same idea and most of the same words and stuff. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

merlilot 09-24-2002 02:57 PM

Need some hints, perhaps?

Joy 09-24-2002 11:02 PM

In the movie, it was Boromir talking to Aragorn in Lothlòrien. But in the book, I beleive it was Gandalf telling Pippin as they entered Gondor.

merlilot 09-25-2002 03:12 PM

got the movie part right...but the book part isn't. You are close though...It's in ROTK, and Pippin has to do with it...

Morgoth Bauglir 09-26-2002 03:03 PM

in the book its beregond telling pippin isnt it?

merlilot 09-26-2002 07:53 PM

Really close...I told ya this was tricky... You are in the right place...look someplace unexpected.

Fallen King of Angmar 09-27-2002 02:09 PM

I think its as they are riding toward Minas Tirith and are at the Ramos (which is under construction at the time) and have passed the mountains with beacons on top.

Basically its when they are riding to Tirith and Gandalf is telling the inquisitive Took all about the wide world =)

merlilot 09-27-2002 02:46 PM

Yall are so close that I am gonna give it to ya, and let ya fight over who gets to go next...

The book part was narration when Pippin first sees Minas Tirith. Told ya it was tricky.

merlilot 09-29-2002 07:35 PM

OK, easy one...Just to revive it...I don't think you liked the first quote too well.

Quote:

The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air.

Fallen King of Angmar 09-29-2002 08:23 PM

Garadriel of course!

Quote:

You cannot enter here. Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!
Quote:

Behold! Isildur's Bane!

Fallen King of Angmar 09-29-2002 08:25 PM

one more! heh )

Quote:

It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following

Susan Delgado 09-29-2002 11:05 PM

Was that Beren talking to Thingol?

Joy 09-29-2002 11:22 PM

Quote:

You cannot enter here. Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!
Gandalf to the Witch-King of Angmar

Quote:

Behold! Isildur's Bane!
Elrond???

Quote:

It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following.
Mouth of Sauron to Aragorn

Susan Delgado 09-29-2002 11:25 PM

Quote:

quote:
---------------------------------------------
It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following.
---------------------------------------------

Mouth of Sauron to Aragorn
Then what was the similar line involving Beren and Thingol? I don't have my book with me, or I'd look

Joy 09-29-2002 11:31 PM

Honestly Susan, neither do I! I can tell you though that the quote was in RotK - The Black Gate Opens.

The only one that I can think of is the one were Beren tells Thingol "For little price do Elven kings sell their daughters, for things made of craft...." I can't remember the whole quote.

Susan Delgado 09-30-2002 02:00 AM

"For little price do Elven kings sell their daughters: for gems and things made of craft."

Thanks for jogging my memory; that was indeed the line [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Telchar 09-30-2002 03:43 AM

None actually got Merilots original quote right - but confirmation of guesses isnt much used in this thread - it was of course Treebeard to the hobbits...

Susan Delgado 09-30-2002 08:22 AM

Fallen King of Angmar said "Galadriel", which would be half the answer according to this game's rules.

Telchar 09-30-2002 01:23 PM

what are the rules again? - you dont have to name the speaker?

merlilot 09-30-2002 03:05 PM

You pick a quote that was in the movie AND in the books. BUT! it is said by different people (usually to different people).

Between two of you, actually, my quote was answered. Galadriel in the movie, and Treebeard in the books.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Telchar 09-30-2002 04:15 PM

ohhh sorry then I see [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] its a thread to show all the places where PJ missed his path in life? ok ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Fallen King of Angmar 09-30-2002 06:48 PM

Quote:

Besides, someone said that intelligence would be needed in the party.
Okay, I know the movie and book quotes are not exact copies of each other but _____ and _____ say nearly the same thing at the council of Elrond.

merlilot 09-30-2002 07:45 PM

Actually, pippin could be an answer on both counts, but I think you are probably looking for Gandalf in the books (the direct quote you used) and Pippin in the movie.
Quote:

Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing.
Gotta love the voice!!! *^*sigh*^*

Afterthought: that was funny Telchar! About PJ's path in life...LOL!

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: merlilot ]

Fallen King of Angmar 09-30-2002 08:14 PM

You got it Merl.

Was looking for Gandalf books and Pippin movies. But now that I think about it Pippin also said it in books somewhere.