The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Favorite Orc (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3832)

Aerenya333 02-02-2003 08:13 AM

Favorite Orc

Hello everyone, Im new, and really bored, the forums at another site are being repaired so i just decided to wander around. I was just curious, i hear everyone talking aobut favorite humans and creatures and elves. But which one is your favorite orc? I think the coolest one is the one in moria that looks at frodo with those huge bug like eyes. Well, thanks, hope to hear (or see) replies.
~Aerenya the Blue
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 02-02-2003 08:22 AM

My favourit e orc is the 1745th orc on the 57th row back in Helms Deep. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Estelyn Telcontar 02-02-2003 09:57 AM

"my favorite..." topics belong on the Novices and Newcomers forum; please post and read on this thread there.

Balin999 02-02-2003 10:12 AM

One of my favourite orcs is Grishnak (not the movie-Grishnak!!!!). I can't really explain it, though. Maybe I like him that much because he has some wits in him an understands what is going on and what's up with the Hobbits.
I also like Ugluk, and not that movie-wa**** "Lurtz". He's strong, he's full of hate, he's just cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"I am Ugluk, I command, is a great quote, I think."
Oh, and I think many people here should read the books first, instead of judging characters after the movies only.

the guy who be short 02-02-2003 10:49 AM

Quote:

Oh, and I think many people here should read the books first, instead of judging characters after the movies only.
well said balin fundinal. good as the movies are, the books are way better. and as they were writen before the movies, people should really focus more on the books.
p.s., if youre wondering who balin fundinal is, 1) youre an idiot (sorry) and 2) read the lord of the rings

Inderjit Sanghera 02-02-2003 11:49 AM

Shagrat, just because of his name. Or maybe Boldog.

propagandalf 02-02-2003 02:03 PM

i despise them all [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].
but if i have to choose one... ugluk of course.. he's not as annoyingly stupid and illogical as the others.

btw, i thought the dead-uruk-hai-head-on-a-stick in the movie was funny. i especially liked the 'tongue sticking out' part.

Gorwingel 02-02-2003 02:49 PM

I too don't like any of them, I wish they all would die (actually they all do). I think the one I hate the most is probably Lurtz, because he is just so mean, and in the movie he is very gooey.

The Saucepan Man 02-02-2003 06:16 PM

Quote:

Lurtz, because he is just so mean, and in the movie he is very gooey
What do you mean by "gooey", Gorwingel? Presumably not gooey in the overly-sentimental, Spielberg-film type sense?!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

My vote goes to Ugluk. He is what every self-respecting Orc commander should be - aggressive, arrogant and over-bearing, while doing his best to discharge the responsibility given to him. He does what he can against all the odds to hold the rabble he is in charge of together. He even gives Merry and Pippin nourishment and heals Merry's wound (all in the cause of getting them to Isengard, of course).

Quote:

I am Ugluk. I command.
I mean, you've got to admire the guy's self-confidence. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Tar-Palantir 02-02-2003 06:37 PM

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] haha, never even thought about it! TheSaucepanMan has convinced though, very nice.

Books:
Ugluk - being the quintessence of orc.

Film:
Lurtz - his first movement is a kill, plus the gooieness (no offense Gorwingel [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). Oh, and he killed Boromir plus gave Aragorn a nasty workout. That would look good on any orcs resume (if he wasn't killed, that is!)

Liriodendron 02-02-2003 07:43 PM

In the movie, Lurtz for sure! He is the most handsome orc, he has a very cute bum, and the way he kills the "birthing orc", then marvels at his squeezing hand is hilarious! In the extended edition, he licks the dagger while giving Aragorn the "hairy eyeball".....oooh! [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] Then (as someone's little girl said [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) his head pops off! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Oh yeah, he says "Find my half legs!" (ack ack ack! ) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

JenFramp 02-03-2003 03:34 PM

You actually think that Lurtz has a cute butt?? how on earth could you even consider something like that about a icky gooy guy that really needs a bath and shave..my favorite..I have to say is in the movie..the one that gets stepped on by treebeard..but its because he gets stepped on by treebeard

Liriodendron 02-03-2003 09:07 PM

Yeah! Real cute! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm thinking of that part when Saruman is preening over him. (he's washed the slime off) You know, when Saruman is walking around him, admiring the lovely Lurtz. He has those awesome gray "thunder thighs" and his tiny, tight behind....well, he has a cute, almost little boyish posture as he's standing there. Saruman is such a fruit! heh heh [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I like those leather hat things the uruks are wearing too. But the Uruks in TTT are ugly, Lurtz was definitely made more appealing than the other orcs. An orc star! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

doug*platypus 02-05-2003 05:53 AM

Favorite [sic] Orc

Myself!... with Shagrat a close second. He's tough, he's street smart, he gurgles a horrible yell of triumph, and laughs at people when they're hanging from the ceiling. What a guy!

Also protects Frodo and doesn't kill Sam, though given the chance. Shagrat, hero of the Ringquest.

Inderjit Sanghera 02-05-2003 05:56 AM

So YOU'RE one of the Orc's that Tolkien told us about that he saw in WW1. It's all beggining to fit in...

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

sirithramiel 02-08-2003 04:29 PM

i know it's not necessarily a good thing, but i do kinda like the orcs..ESPECIALLY ugluk. like everyone's said..he's self-assured, confident, forward..plus endearing, in his own way.

Inderjit Sanghera 02-09-2003 06:17 AM

Endearing? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

HCIsland 08-31-2003 08:44 PM

Two favourites [from the movies], though I don't think either have names.

When the orcs camp outside of Moria, there is an orc that I assume is a Moria orc. The one that says, "Yeah! How about them? They look freshhhh." He cracks me up everytime.

The other is Terry Gilliam Orc. He can be spotted walking behind Saruman with another orc as he tours his caverns under Isengard early in Two Towers. He's the spitting image of the Questioner at the Bridge in Monty Python's Holy Grail. You know, "Answer me these questions three" and "What's the average flight speed of an unladen swallow?" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

H.C.

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]

Meela 09-01-2003 03:15 AM

Shagrat is the only orc I can stand.

Lord of Angmar 09-01-2003 01:50 PM

I always enjoyed Shagrat and Gorbag's conversation, but for sheer grotesque orkish leadership I have to go with Ugluk.

I thought Lurtz was very well done in the movie. He looked very evil and bestial, and it seemed a hilarious feat of depraved machismo when he drove Aragorn's sword through his own stomach.

maikafanawen 09-01-2003 02:54 PM

Shagrat--definitely--no contest

And I still love all you people who decided not to read the book and enjoy the movie. You're missing out but I won't rub it in your face. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers!

-Maikafanawen

Ophelia 09-07-2003 11:16 AM

Does it necessary needs to be whole orc ? Well if not than I like that orc's head on the stick at the Fangorn fores after the fight between men of Rohan and orcs from the film . But if whole orc then my wote goes to Ugluk .

Shy Hobbit 09-08-2003 09:15 AM

I really can't say I liked any of the orcs in the books, bleh, death to orcs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The only one I liked in the movie was the one in TTT with the twitchy neck and funny lines. "Why can't we have some meats? What bout them? They're fresh" *snicker* Not that his intentions were funny... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Tis a shame though that the only one I liked got his head lopped off [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Knight of Gondor 09-11-2003 08:14 PM

Hey, let's get one thing straight, you can't LIKE an orc! That is like admiring Melkor! They're the bad guys! The BAD guys! That being said...

I like the one that snarls "They're fresh", but I think it's funnier the orc that has the cockney accent and goes "What 'bout their legs? They don't need them." The creaking as he moves his neck and eyes, somehow it's just funny. I wonder where he learned the cockney...

Mariska Greenleaf 09-12-2003 02:30 AM

I don't like em. Not one!
But if I have to choose, I'll go with one who was in fotr, the one that enters the room where Saruman is in, and askes: "What orders from Morder, my lord, what does the eye command?"
He was talking in a kinda soft way, and he is the only orc that I can bring up a tiny little bit of sympathy for. real tiny though.

Liriodendron 09-12-2003 06:17 AM

Oh yeah! Staple-nose! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mariska Greenleaf 09-12-2003 06:29 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah! Staple-nose!
Yeah, that's the one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 09-12-2003 07:00 AM

Quote:

I like the one that snarls "They're fresh", but I think it's funnier the orc that has the cockney accent and goes "What 'bout their legs? They don't need them."
Does anyone else who's seen the Harry Enfield Show (a UK sketch show from some years back) immediately think of Paul Whitehouse's Old G*t when they see him, or is it just me?

Quote:

He was talking in a kinda soft way ...
Sinister more like. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

No, "like" is perhaps the wrong word when discussing Orcs. I approached this on the basis of choosing the Orc who seems to me to display the most Orcish "qualities", to be best suited to his role in life. In other words, which Orc is simply the "best" at being an Orc. And (book) Ugluk appears to me to fit the bill perfectly. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]